From the publisher:
Have you ever wanted a class that offers a the potential for a more sinister defender?
Do you want a more militaristic alternative to the warlock?
Do you think the forces of evil are under-represented?
If so, The Blackguard is the class you need!
Much like warlocks, blackguards channel arcane power granted to them by a mighty supernatural creature. They use their power to keep their foes within their reach, to empower their attacks with magic and to trick their enemies with unexpected spells. Blackguards can range from psychotic savages who have sold their soul just to enable them to better kill their prey, to scheming politicians who have sought out dark forces to help them take the power they desire. Whoever they are, the magic invested in them makes them powerful adversaries.
While a blackguard is not merely an evil paladin, many blackguards do worship evil or chaotic evil deities. A good aligned paladin who forsakes his deity to seek out a blackguard pact is more favoured by the evil creatures who grant such pacts, and a paladin has the option to completely change his class. The pacts on offer are:
- Demonic pact, which imbues a character with burning chaotic energy;
- Draconic pact, performed by a powerful dragon to empower a character to serve as its formidable minion;
- Primordial pact, for a character who has managed to make contact with a Primordial and been offered some of its power; and
- Shadow pact, forged in alliance to dark creatures from another plane.
This 23 page color product contains everything you expect from a player class. It includes:
- A choice of 4 different pacts which gives the class fantastic replayability;
- At least 4 powers of each level;
- 4 paragon paths, one based on each pact, which includes the dragon disciple, a paragon path that will ultimately allow your character to become a dragon for brief periods;
- 22 feats to allow customization of your blackguard;
- 3 new magic items; and
- Details on how to make NPC blackguards.