From the game's introduction:
Shifter is a role playing game based around a society in the far future so improbable that they have to send interdimensional demolition experts back in time to ensure that it continues to exist. Travelling between different versions of reality, these Shifters stabilise and destabilize different timelines - known as variants - by tampering with history. Along the way, they come into conflict with Rogue Shifters, and Shifters sent from different timelines, bent on eliminating the players' version of history entirely.
As a professional Shifter you are trained (albeit not very well) for the complex task of Shifting. Choose between the four standard Specialities - Gaunt, Teknic, Psyker and Seer - or create your own. Because of the near-infinite variety of different timelines, there are no limits to who or what your character is - from a clone of Elvis to a sentient pizza. For 2 or more players aged 18 or over with plenty of beer and snack food on hand. At least one deck of playing cards will be required.
The rules cover a wide variety of topics including:
- Creating Shifters. Fast and detailed character generation system.
- Task resolution. Unbelievably fast and unrealistic game mechanics using a deck of cards to simulate the strange laws of the Shifter universe.
- All the rules you need to play plus many you don't - including the vital Emergency Gamesmaster Instructions, for when you are just too drunk to work out what happens next.
- Pick up and run - most games require little preparation.
- Includes two pre-prepared missions.
- Warning! This product contains some unnecessary bad language.