From the publisher:
In an abandoned classroom in the Lyceum, three mages stand together, channeling their energies into a desperate ritual spell. Their enemies, dreamborn monsters bent on destroying the physical world, are half a continent away, seeking an artifact whose location had been sealed in the Lyceum’s vaults. The heroes’ only chance of getting there in time is this daring teleportation. They have been dodging charmed spell duelists and bribed effigist priests all day, and they hope that now they might have enough of a reprieve to perform the dangerous ritual. Their allies and bodyguards look on expectantly.
Suddenly, the doors to the classroom burst open, and in strides a Ragesian inquisitor, ancient and powerful, flanked by a hulking pair of biomantically-created beasts. Magically shielded by his bearskull mask, the inquisitor throws forward his hand with a fierce snarl, and his beasts charge. The bodyguards of the three mages hold the monsters at bay, while a master of the martial art of Tel-Shalanth tumbles across the room, hoping to disrupt the Inquisitor’s energy before he can cast a spell.
Nobody casts magic missile.
E.N. Publishing’s Elements of Magic – Revised Edition gave you a system to create any sort of spell you desired on the fly, breaking free of the traditional forms of d20 magic. In Lyceian Arcana, we present guidelines, examples, and new rules to help you turn that system of game mechanics into any sort of magical world you desire. Discover an academy’s worth of knowledge, including:
- Nine sample magical traditions, including the Dreamers of the Inner Path – mages who draw power from the horrors they find in their dreams – and the Taranesti Diabolists – opportunistic dark Elves who gain their greatest powers by bartering with the infernal.
- Conversions of the core spellcasting classes, to let you use the Elements of Magic system while keeping the same feel in your games.
- Five new magical classes, such as the Godhand – a warrior who receives magical boons from his deity – and the Anima – a flexible class that lets any character imbue herself with permanent magical abilities.
- Twenty-five magical tradition feats, a way to make yourself part of a particular magical tradition far more easily than taking a prestige class.
- Expanded magic item and spellcasting rules. Create intelligent items, or cast powerful spells in massive rituals.
- Information on the Lyceum itself, an academy devoted to teaching diverse magical knowledge, and a perfect way to introduce the Elements of Magic system to an existing game.