From publisher blurb:
The first winds of winter bring with them snow and ice. The blanket of cold that envelops the land heralds the coming of the winter solstice and a thousand different holidays that coincide with it. These holidays are the domain of a fantastic being known by many names, the most common of which is Santa Claus, bringer of gifts and joy, the living embodiment of hope, kindness, and generosity.
Yet the universe, it seems, is beholden to its own strange symmetry. For where Claus rules the bright side of the season another entity rises the cold and shadowy elements of mortal kind. The clack of hooves on the roof may be the kindly red-clad spirit or it may be the hooves of the fiendish Krampus. Those who find themselves unworthy of Claus’s rewards may find themselves at the mercy of a dark creature who leaves terror in his wake along with switches and coal.
For some, it is the most joyous of holidays.
For others it is the night of the Krampus.
- Santa Claus and the Krampus. Two powerful demigods, Santa and the Krampus rule the winter nights. Claus is the everchanging spirit of giving and generosity, who appears differently to every species that beholds him. The Krampus is the manifestation fo vengeful punishment and greed, who not only punishes mortal children but rewards monsters for their evil deeds each winter. Ever wonder how goblins, bugbears and orcs get their hands on magic items too complex for them to create? The Krampus is to blame.
Santa and the Krampus are presented both with full gameplay stats and as standard deity writeups. Also included is a third deity writeup for Jack Frost, Santa's distant but still quite dangerous rival for control of the winter season.
- New Creatures: Incarnates of Santa Claus and the Krampus stand in for their deific creators as low-level proxies. Petitioners in the service of the two holiday spirits keep the demiplane of Winter Holidays running. Snow elementals stalk the winter landscapes in search of foes to vanquish or friends to protect. Plus quick-stat adjustments for Santa's steeds, the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future and the bizarre Christmas Treant.
- The Realm of Winter Holidays: A new demiplane associated with Santa Claus and the Krampus, complete with random encounter tables.
- Winter Holidays: Guidelines for the adaptation of real-world winter holidays and descriptions of fantasy holidays useful in any campaign setting.
- Equipment: Six new magic items plus tables for holiday gifts from both Santa Claus and the Krampus.
- Multi-genre Support: The scenario is provided with variant background ideas for incorporating the material into modern fantasy, modern sci-fi, post-apocalyptic and space opera campaigns to make quick adaptation easy.
- Variant Rules Support: Like all Octavirate products, Octavirate Presents: Night of the Krampus provides quick-reference variant rules support for each creature and NPC including wounds/vitality, defense bonus, armor as damage reduction, modern/3.0 damage reduction, sanity loss, taint, magic rating, spell points, honor and reputation.
Night of the Krampus can serve as a one-shot adventure scenario or the backbone of a campaign or a short series of adventures. The PCs' involvement can be as simple as investigating the source of a goblin tribe's magical weapons or as large as saving the whole of Christmas/Yule/Saturnalia from the evil grip of the fiendish Krampus. Creature content and deity writeups make sure the Night of the Krampus is usable at any time of year.