From publisher blurb:
The Pangenre RPG Core Rules™ are the centerpiece of the Pangenre RPG System™, a true multi-genre role-playing game. If you are yearning for a system that feels more realistic than existing designs, yet is still as playable as the easiest in-depth RPG system, Pangenre is for you!
Pangenre is built from Open Game Content as defined in the Open Game License (OGL). This makes it easier for experienced players to assimilate sweeping changes to the character and combat systems. But Pangenre is not just another d20 clone or spin-off. It's a brand-new game system.
The Open Game "core mechanic" remains intact. Decide on your action, roll dice, add modifiers, and compare to the target DC. So if you know how to play Open Game rules, you're already halfway to learning Pangenre!
Improvements over Open Game Rules
Pangenre RPG has many enhancements to the Open Game rules, such as:
- A brand-new character system completely replaces the Open Game concepts of levels and classes with skill-based mechanics. * Within skills, you can specialize in areas of knowledge or gain competencies in esoteric equipment with ease. Playable, pregenerated characters from different genres (modern, future, historical, and fantasy) show you how to craft characters.
- Revised Ability scores that add new dimensions to characters such as Perception. Old geezers will no longer hear a pin drop by virtue of their high Wisdom.
- Reducing the gaminess of other systems by eliminating hit points entirely. Instead, when you are struck by an attack, you make a wound check that is influenced by factors such as your overall strength and your armor. There is a limit to how many wounds you can take, and there is always the possibility that powerful blow can take down a mighty character. No more, "Have the high hit point warrior run through the minefield," cheese!
- Replacing the attack-of-opportunity mechanic with a reaction rule that fits much better in scenarios where firearms, especially modern or futuristic firearms, are in play.
- The relationship between weapons and armor is much more realistic. Rather than prevent you from being struck by attacks, armor mitigates damage.
- Simple, yet realistic language rules that use standardized skill concepts, are very simple to use, and fit as easily with scenarios where literacy is rare as with modern scenarios where you can learn to type and to read Braille.
The Pangenre RPG Core Rules™ is a game system rulebook, not a campaign sourcebook. It does not include scenario or campaign materials. Pangenre, LLC has released such materials seperately. You can also adapt your own game ideas to Pangenre immediately.