From publisher blurb:
A deadly hunger lies in wait...
Deep in the heart of a burial mound lies the form of an ancient Alchemist; the corrupt widow of a long-dead diamyo lord who has remained immersed in a crystal bath filled with the essence of divine winds - a liquid distillation of divine ki energies - for a millenium in order to gain perfect immortality. But now a group of wandering heroes is called upon overcome her undead jikininki minions, a band of rampaging barbarian raiders, and the relic seekers who would unwisely plunder the grave, before the depraved Alchemist is forever transformed into a living god!
Lean & Hungry is a Japanese-analog fantasy scenario for a party of 4th to 6th level. It includes:
- New wondrous items like the vigilant lantern that reveals the infernal nature harbored by those its light touches; the amulet of the sheltered mind that wards against the effects of enchantments; the amulet of the watchful eye created to be the central piece in a magical scrying system; and the sands of timing that measure the precise temporal flow of arcane energies and processes.
- New spells such as the ward of ravenous hunger that curses graverobbers with an all-consuming hunger; and bless salt, which hinders the spawning of undead creatures.
- New potions like essence of the divine winds that harvests ki energies to transform its user into an undying divinity; and the distillation of quickened stone that hardens the rock it is applied to and causes it to grow lighter.
- The blasphemous rod of jikininki control that allows its user to bind these perverse monsters to her will.
- Two new NPC classes: the criminal who makes up the bulk of both urban criminal outfits and rural outlaw bands; and the faithful who serve their gods in inglorious ways, much as adepts fulfill wizardly roles among primitive peoples.
- New creatures such as the flesh-eating jikininki, the four monstrous guardians of the ancient burial mound, a lesser shield guardian construct charged with protecting its wizard master, and an entire army of terracotta soldiers!