From publisher blurb:
For aeons, folk have struggled to master the world of Toril through the use of magic. The human race has stolen what magical knowledge it can from the elves and other races, gained more through worship, and created the rest by building on the work of those who have gone before. For centuries, human wizards have experimented with new spells and variations on existing magic, striving to grow ever more powerful. They have succeeded to an astonishing degree, but through the death of secretive mages and the hidden, or distorted.
To pierce this heavy cloak of missing knowledge, cryptic sorcerous codes, and misinformation requires a writer of rare daring, peristence, and magical skill. Such a man is Volothamp Geddarm, famous traveler of the Realms - and this is his most important, long-suppressed work, the book that archwizards could not keep from your hands!
Read this 128-page tome, and learn:
- How do mages gain special powers for themselves, including the awesome ability known as Spellfire?
- How may items be enchanted to fire forth magic once, twice, or whenever called upon?
- What are the best materials from which to construct magical items?
- What powerful spells have hitherto been the secrets of the most puissant archmages?
- What are many of the fell, awesome artifacts of the Realms known to exist?
- What lore exists about teleportation, magical wards, guardian spells, and sites of power?
- And much, much more that most wizards would have liked to remain hidden forever from the eyes of their rivals - and from common folk not skilled in magic!
Suitable for all levels of play.
Special Note: This edition of Volo's Guide, intended for travelers from beyond the borders of Faerun, has been heavily rewritten and contains game notes and commentary by the famous sage and archmage Elminster of Shadowdale.