From the introduction to "The New World Primer":
News of the discovery spreads like wildfire. Ambitious lords, zealous high priests and enterprising merchants draw their plans fervently. The docks of the cities blaze with activity, as ships are outfitted for long journeys and word goes out at every village square and tavern throughout the kingdom. The New World has been found and the rush to claim and colonize it has begun!
This campaign setting is meant to be easily integrated into most campaign worlds. Only the region around the colony's landing is described in detail. The exact shape and nature of the rest of the New World is left for you to fill as the campaign requires. The only assumptions this campaign makes are the following:
- The New World is a newly discovered continent in the existing campaign world.
- The players are members of the first expedition to explore and colonize the New World.
- The expedition travels by ship to the New World and the journey takes months.
- The expedition is mostly on its own for the first year. Help may come from the known world, but only sporadically and with a heavy price.
- Little to nothing is known initially of the New World.
- The known world colonists use the campaign standard magic and technology.