"Kara-Tur is a Dungeons & Dragons Oriental-inspired fantasy world created by David Cook. In 1987, Kara-Tur was relocated to the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
Kara-Tur's cultures and peoples are fantasy analogues of medieval China, Japan, Korea, Tibet, and other regions of East Asia.
Various countries described in the set include:
- Shou Lung: Han Chinese China (Imperial period)
- T'u Lung: Historical dissident states of Southern China (i.e Nanzhao, formerly centred in present-day Yunnan province)
- Wa: Feudal Japan (Edo Period)
- Kozakura: Japan/Ryukyu Islands
- Northern Wastes: Manchuria/Northeast China
- Tabot: Tibet
- Koryo: Korea
- Ra-Khati: Nepal
- Island Kingdoms: Pre-colonial Hindu-influenced civilizations in what is now present-day Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines.
- Horse-Plains: Mongolia
- Malatra: Pre-colonial Indochina"
Source: Wikipedia, "Kara-Tur", available under the CC-BY-SA License.