designer
badge
mbmbmb
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb

Characters:
Carras
Cain
Abelard
Rosenberg
Tassus Callimachus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Saint Drusus' Lobotomy
Not all of you are young, but you are all new on this Path of Power. Some stay off the path, fearing its dangers, but they will harvest none of its powers either. If you follow the path truly, everything can be yours. If you don't, only two possible things await - death or spawndom. You can work together, but you face your fate alone. You are a servant of Chaos, and master of all else.

You can't quite remember who had the idea, but to travel with "Saint Drusus' Lobotomy", seemed like a good idea.The merchant/pirat vessel has a reputation for both wealth and slaughter, and you all hoped she would take you further down your path. You are starting to think you were wrong. After three months onboard she has only stopped at unimportant places, engaged in only minor acts of piracy, and it has led you to no tasks grand enough for the likes of you.

Life unboard is also starting to become intolerable. All of the crew have had their brains altered, leaving only unimaginative dimwits, much like the captain himself, Ogh Pogh. You find plenty of subjects to play with, but none to really test your skill. The only real company here are the members of your warband, the Eternity Reapers. You haven't spent much time together, but you feel their is power in the company. Soon you will join together in your first significant compact.

The ship is currently deep in the Screaming Vortex, and you have a feeling that something depraved might soon find its way to you, but you have been feeling that for several months now.

OK. Let's hear a little bit about each character. Why are they onboard, and what are they doing to pass time. Remember, this is a large ship, so feel free to elaborate as much as you like on what is onboard. 

Also, I usually prefer a paragraph today to a page next week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome

Cain stared at the bundle of arcane scrolls and tomes spread across his quarters. It was a collection that he had spent many grueling years gathering after his betrayal of the Inquisition. He grabbed his most recent acquisition and studied it carefully, the pages revealing their terrible secrets. What looked like gibberish to most was discernible to the twisted mind of Cain.

M-more.. I need more... The t-threads... they're beginning to converge.. hehee.. The patterns are starting to become apparent.., Cain thought gleefully as his eyes twitched and jittered.

This was the obsession in Cain's life. The discovery of forbidden knowledge. Specifically, those that could explain the darkness that he had always felt in his soul. This desire to understand had led the once honorable man to many an atrocious deed -- and would lead to many more.

Quick question. Do the Eternity Reapers have any other members? Or is it just meant to include us 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"This is intolerable." More than once, Carras had mentioned this. He was no closer to figuring out what to do about it than he had been three weeks before. He paced the room, snapping his whip with each turn. His helmet was off and set on a table made from bones, skulls and stretch skin. His skin was pallid, eyes the color of slate and his head was bereft of hair. A rigid grin crept over his face as the whip struck bare skin, causing a moment of pain to bring a small bit of pleasure with it. "There are those who need to be brought the pleasure of Chaos, to know the truth of Slaanesh. I will have to have a word with the captain soon."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Rosenberg squats in a side passage of the ship and his face is slightly lit by the dataslate he is reading. His reading position is not comfortable, but at least it doesn't smell of rotting flesh and it is dry.

Exterminatus was declared and the rebellion was crushed with a single cyclonic torpedo, he reads aloud as he sees something moving down the hallway to his right. He draws his laspistol and squeezes the trigger.

Switching off his dataslate, he rises and approaches the fried corpse of a large rodent. It's neck seared open with bone clearly showing. He sucks his teeth absentmindedly.

Rusty....was aiming for it's eye. He pounds his fist against the hard wall and the dull thud echoes for a good ten seconds.

Shouting down the hall at no one in particular, Where's the action?! I'm grow weary of this ship and it's crew. Then quietly, to himself, I grow weary of this mindless piracy when we could be dealing with the true unbelievers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Abelard sits in his quarters slowly cleaning the teeth of his chain sword. Not a necessity but a fine way to spend an hour or two deep in one's own thoughts. He often thinks aloud, even when he is not alone. "Three months, three long months. Bored to the brink of pointless insanity. I have no purpose - no direction here. The only glimmer of entertainment in this heap are the occasional forays into the bowels of the great and mighty Saint Drusus' Lobotomy to find some sorry-ass crew member upon which to hone my skills. Alas, I am losing my edge... My weapons and equipment are ready for any challenge, but my body and brains turn to mush, maybe we should re-christen this vessel Abelard's Lobotomy. That is a thought, replace Ogh Pogh and turn this ship into a mighty Chaos flagship! No, this time I will work toward a common goal, more or less, and put my own desires on hold." The unnecessary maintenance completed, Abelard leans back and drifts into troubled slumber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Callimachus had become bored. Initially, the petty squabbles between the various groups in the engineering decks had been a fun diversion. Amplifying their existing friction to violent levels was amusing and also helped clear out useless dead weight. However, power games with the lowly workers and supervisors had lost its fun.

He was loathe to try and play any important groups off of each other and the fellow members of the warband were a little too unhinged to have true fun and still keep everything operational.

After cleaning his boltgun ("For the third time today! It is disgustingly dull here"), Callimachus felt that Ogh Pogh had greatly exaggerated his manifest and might need to be prodded towards a location that would provide something to further the goal of the Alpha Legion.

Clearly waiting in the Vortex was not going to do anything to help the cause.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Palmere Grath
The ship claxons let you know that a ship is approaching. It turns out to be a fleet, three ships. Attack or trade, time will tell, attack might bring some immidiate enjoyment, but trade might have some long term potential. You learn that the ship is called the Pristine, which seems to mean something to captain Ogh Pogh. As he gets ready to interact with the captain of the other ship, you start to think he is not so moronic as you thought. He too seems to think this void encounter might be beneficial, and he is far more calculating than usual. It turns out to be trade, and soon you learn who the other captain is - Palmere Grath.

Palmere Grath is one of the many that has avoided the Path of Power. Instead he has worked hard to make his own life as pleasant as possible, and to pursue his two great passions: Greed and Freedom. His trade operations reach deep into the Imperium and the Koronus expanse; but it is in the Screaming Vortex he has made his wealth. You have dealt with him before, and have always found it beneficial. He has a reputation for supplying what is promissed, which means many heretics are willing to entertain deals with him they wouldn't consider with others.

It seems Palmere Grath is himself, for unknown reasons, travelling on one of his ships. You are wondering if you should make contact, perhaps ask if you can travel with him instead. Before you have the opportunity to make up your minds, you all get the same message: Please come to my ship, I have something of great value to offer you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Rosenberg straps on all of his belongings, hoping to never have to return to this cesspit.

I don't know this merchant, so be wary that he doesn't steal the chain sword off your back. If he sees profit in it, that will be his goal.

Rosenberg makes it to the back of the warband as those assembled with him approach the airlock. He watches them all very carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cain scans his collection of heretical works onto his data-slate, burning the original copies.

No need for anyone else to find these.. all mine.., he giggles to himself.

Cain excitedly walks toward the airlock, mind focusing on the potential artifacts that Palmere Grath could have come across in his time as a merchant. Artifacts that would end up in Cain's hands one way or another...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Finally, something that may be worth my time. Grath can either point my worthless captain towards something of interest or bring me to a new world.

Callimachus remained alert, scanning the warband for any signs of recognition or familiarity once Cain first appears. If anyone knew Grath prior to this meeting, Callimachus would not be pleased.

Ogh Pogh's seeming knowledge of the ship was worrisome enough. More individuals being aware could be a sign of conspiracy... possibly against me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Cain enters the airlock, he notices Callimachu's gaze settle upon him. He quickly lowers his eyes and begins to fidget.

The skittish Psyker was not entirely comfortable around his relatively new companions - especially the chaos space marines..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
An offer
You borrow a shuttle and tavel to the Pristine. As always, Palmere Grath is smiling when you meet him. It is not the false smile of a salesman or the genuine smile of a friend. It is the self-satisfied pleasure of a man who savours every sweet breath of air and every step in his lacquered boots. He wears a plush velvet robe ornamented with polished bone. The robe has a long train, carried by an achingly beautiful human slave who trails behind him. Three ork bodyguards complete the procession, every inch of their battered and barbaric armour a stark contrast to Grath's adornments.

Grath's smile seems to grow even larger, if possible. “I will be forward with you. The true matter is that one of my ventures has not gone as planned. I am looking to salvage what I can from the situation, thus I come to you. I think you may be able to turn my calamity to your advantage, if you're willing. Tell me, have you ever heard of the Tyrant's Cord?” 

None of you have Common Lore ( Screaming vortex), so you'll have to make this roll at -20.

A few word on dice rolling. Feel free to through them around when you think it is appropriat. The worst thing that can happen is I don't use the roll. Lore skills are often a good thing to test, to see if the character knows kore about certain subjects. 

Also, when you roll, try to add the target number. It saves ne a lot of time if I dont always have to check your character. In the first post of this and the OOC-thread you can find a link to the wiki. It has a lot of relevant information, et me know if you want me to add anything. When I get time I will add the rules for hordes and use of infamy points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Palmere Grath speaks, Cain nervously keeps his eyes on the three Orks..

Tyrant's Cord?

Cain attempts to recall if he has ever come across that in his collection of arcane knowledge.

Target Number: 21

Common Lore 1d100 = (15) = 15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 405126. SA_Viking
  • 1d100 =
  • (15) =
  • Common Lore
  • Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:06 am
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When he heard the 'summons', Carras replaced his helmet and picked up his possessions. He stood with the others but said nothing, waiting instead to hear the others out as usual. He was patient with his power and never one to rush things.

After stepping off the shuttle, Carras moved into the room and stood near the back. He listened to the plea made by Grath, standing almost like a statue. His only movement was his hand rubbing at the skull shaped pommel of this force sword. Had he heard of the Tyrants cord before? It did not seem familiar to him. Perhaps it was created after he was sent to the Immaterium.

Target Number - 14
Common Lore (Screaming Vortex) 1d100 = (99) = 99

Sorry for the delay folks. Weekends are usually busy for me, and this was my son's birthday weekend. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 405211. belirahc
  • 1d100 =
  • (99) =
  • Common Lore (Screaming Vortex)
  • Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 pm
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Rosenberg tries to see where Grath is going with this, and for once, is clueless. He sucks at his teeth as he tries to remember anything useful about the Tyrant's Cord.

Target: 14
Common Lore (Screaming Vortex) 1d100 = (27) = 27
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 405233. samus98
  • 1d100 =
  • (27) =
  • Common Lore (Screaming Vortex)
  • Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:09 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What Cain knows
Cain knows the story of Pyurultide and the Tyrant's Cord

Pyurultide is one of the many worlds that drift through the Screaming Vortex. Placing dates on the events of the past is futile for a world so warp-infused, but - whether a day or a millennium ago - Pyurultide was a world locked in conflict. The gods Nurgle and Slaanesh fought for dominion over the educated and technologically advanced people of the planet. Pyurultide has continents but no oceans. 

The gaps between land masses writhe with a sea of insects and vermin. Nurgle's influence was strong along the coast where this foulness lapped against the land, and here he had many followers. But the inlanders built magnificent spires that climbed above the blighted land. Driven by the desire for perfection, they built ever grander and more terrible towers. Eventually, the Pox Tribes below eventually found a way to infect the flesh and then the loyalties of the high rulers. The instant that their hearts turned from Slaanesh, it is said the spiteful Prince of Desire smote their towers to ruin. The Pox Tribes consumed the survivors of the fall, and the Tyrant's Cord - the symbol of the rulers' dynasty - was lost. 

Now Pyurultide is consumed by the unending biological warfare of the Pox Tribes. Still, in the shadows of hospice cities and the phlegmy whispers of the dying, the legend of the old sky empire lives on.  If a leader were to emerge wielding the Cord, hundreds of thousands of Pox Warriors would follow him. In fact, over the past millennia the Tyrant's Cord has come to be synonymous with rulership on many worlds in the Vortex. The Heretic to recover it could be known as a great leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
An offer
Grath continues, "There are plenty of other Heretics in the Vortex willing to pay handsomely for the information I offer, but now I am offering it to you first. Or rather, its location, you'll gave to get it yourself. My price is fair, four hundred souls. It is just a fraction of what I could demand for the item itself, if I had it. I expects to receive payment before I discloses the location, but I think you know I can be trusted in such matters. Will any of you seize this opportunity?"

The number of souls is sort of an abstract number. It means one of you decrease your infamy by one. The one who supplies the souls should also state where he gets them from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I shall buy your information. Will the souls of those lost in the rapture of bondage and pain be most to your liking? They were harvested during the scouring of a colony deep within the vortex. The daemonettes seemed to really enjoy themselves." Carras holds up his hand in contract, ready to release the souls if his offer is accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cain looks at the sorcerer enviously.

We'll see who the more powerful psyker is.. Damn Astartes , he grumbles to himself.

Hunched in a corner, Cain's hand begins to slightly shake. Grabbing it, he turns towards Grath.

"W-What's in this for you? Why give us the location of a priceless mythical artifact without asking for anything except some paltry souls in return?"

Cain attempts to sense Garth's truthfulness, seeing if he might be hiding anything

Target Number: 25

Scrutiny 1d100 = (38) = 38
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 405324. SA_Viking
  • 1d100 =
  • (38) =
  • Scrutiny
  • Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:53 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
As far as Cain can tell, he is being truthful and not hiding anything. "I tried my luck at getting it, and failed. At this point I think it better to cut my losses."

He looks around the room to see if there is any further questions before finalizing the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Callimachus was pleased with direction this conversation was going. While he was unfamiliar with the Tyrant's Cord (Easily fixed once I make it back to the ship.), this at least presented the opportunity to destabilize an unfamiliar region.

Cain's outburst disturbed Callimachus. Maybe the human is more in touch with the warp than I believed, he might require closer observation. Maybe a low level officer?

However, Cain is not entirely incorrect. Something is not right here. Callimachus looks for any signs or microexpressions caused by Cain's query.

Not noticing any anxiety at the question, Callimachus presses for more information:

"For what purpose do you wish us to recover this artifact? Do you wish to retire from voyaging? You ask a lot from the Alpha Legion to make a request and provide little information.

R1 (Tyrant's Cord):
Target Number = INT - 20 = 26
Common Lore: Screaming Vortex 1d100 = (90) = 90

R2 (Read captain):
Target Number = PER = 41
Scrutiny (Trained) 1d100 = (72) = 72
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 405493. badweasel
  • 1d100 =
  • (90) =
  • Common Lore: Screaming Vortex
  • Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:37 pm
  • [+]
  • 405496. badweasel
  • 1d100 =
  • (72) =
  • Scrutiny (Trained)
  • Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 pm
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The idea of trading souls is vexing to Rosenberg. Something that he is sure he will become more familiar with as he follows the path to enlightenment. He watches Cain carefully. That one must be watched. He knows too much for his own good.

What does his purpose matter? It gets us off this rotting vessel. I'll take my chances with a strange artifact. I hope for your sake, Grath, you aren't leaving out any pertinent details!

Intimidate (39) 1d100 = (69) = 69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 405569. samus98
  • 1d100 =
  • (69) =
  • Intimidate (39)
  • Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:59 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"My purpose is to cut my loses in a deal that seems to be lost to me. I would very much like to have the cord for myself, but it is not to be, so I am sellinh the opportunity to you. You see Callimachus, if you find it, it is yours to keep, with the power it grants. I know you are not errand boys, and if I wanted it retrived it for me, I would send my own agents.

I have a reputation, if I sold you something bad Rosenberg, it would only come back to haunt me."

The next step is making the compact, I will have something on that later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Closing the deal
Grath walks over to Carras and accepts his payment, “Trust me - you've  won the better end of this bargain. I did attempt to retrieve the Cord, but my ship, the Deluge, crashed on Sacgrave on the return voyage. The mercenaries I hired have a retrieval beacon. If any of them survived, you should be able to find them using its frequency.” Grath provides the frequency. "If you find the beacon, you should find the cord with it."

Grath and his entourage prepares to leave, "An agent I have on Malfi once tried to lecture me on the importance of added value, I ripped his heart out, but nevertheless, I see his point. One of the ships of this fleet, the Abject Hatred, is leaving us for Sacgrave, you are very welcome to hitch a ride with it."

Unless, anyone wants to add something very important, we can say the next scene is in your quarters on the Abject Hatred. Here you are planning your compact. The primary objective of it is to find the cord, there are secondary objectives, but they are hidden as for now.

Each character should state what they can provide for the compact (it could just be: My mind.)
You must also pick an anointed, and if you want to dedicate the compact to one of the Gods.

There is also unlockable tertiary objectives. Carras and Cain can roll Forbidden Lore: Daemonology, while the rest can roll Int-20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.