Legacy of Dragonholt
Genesys Core Rulebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tales from the Loop
World War Cthulhu: The Darkest Hour
RuneQuest (2nd Edition)
Barbaren!
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
The Enemy Within
Technoir
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Our Friends the Machines & Other Mysteries
Shadows Over Bögenhafen
Fudge Dice
Dungeons & Dragons (Woodgrain Box & White Box Sets)
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Alone Against the Flames
Roleplaying Tips (Issue 549)
Documentary Now
Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game
The Engagement of Adelaide Endicott
Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
ALIENS Adventure Game
Other Suns
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Sherpa
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Beyond the Mountains of Madness
Traveller Boxed Set
Ghost Stories
The Secret Lives of Gingerbread Men
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Sacraments of Evil
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
The Adventurer's Toolkit
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Our Last Best Hope
DCC #079: Frozen In Time
The Darkening of Mirkwood
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Book of Lost Spells (5E)
Borderland Provinces (5E)
Roleplaying Tips (Issue 534)
Roleplaying Tips (Issue 535)
Roleplaying Tips (Issue 537)
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,625 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayfinder is Paizo's official fanzine, and this issue's theme is the Underdark. Wayfinder is a free magazine, so if you see something you like, go to paizo.com and download it!
Being Paizo's fanzine, it contains content for the Pathfinder RPG.

Content Grading Scale:
Garbage. A complete waste of time.
Useless
If you try hard, you might be able to repurpose some of what's in here.
With modifications, this could be useable.
It's a useable resource. It fits some sort of a need, and you could use it without changes if you needed to.
It's worth keeping in mind in case you end up needing it.
It's good. You should use it.
Impressive.
Brilliant.

Content
Weal or Woe: Dark Harvest
The "Weal or Woe" series presents 2 NPCs and relationships between themselves, and how they can provide a benefit or drawback to the PCs.

Oread Ranger 6: This one is pretty interesting. It seems useable, and I like how he has plenty of uses (he's a miner, guide in the darklands, and he hates drow and duergar). I'd say he'd make a good versatile NPC to have your party meet in the underdark.

Advanced giant vegepygmy alchemist 5: Well, this one seems kind of boring. A couple of "hooks" are presented, but this giant vegepygmy is just a normal BBEG. The statblock is interesting and useful, but this creature should probably be repurposed, because the hooks and complication suck. I'm also not a fan of mixing templates and class levels.

All in all, this could be useful to generate NPCs or villains on the fly.

The Foehammer Promise
An underdark adventure for 4 lvl 4 dwarves of Janderhoff.

The premise is pretty interesting; carry a dead dwarf king to his family crypt deep in the darklands. The execution sucks, however. To start off with, we have a bunch of irrelevant stuff happening. Not only are the PCs carrying his dead body, they're also carrying a crown for his sons to claim. I really don't care, and neither will the PCs. Unless somehow, they're supposed to

Also, the king died of a concoction of a vegepygmy detailed in the previous article. Ok... And this vegepygmy just *happens* to reside in the family crypt (no, its not part of an evil plot. The author calls it "irony". I don't see it. If you do, please enlighten me in the comments). Interesting. Will the PCs ever make the link between the king's death and the vegepygmy. No clues are given, the vegepygmy isn't going to talk, so I doubt it.

The "meat" of the adventure has:
A 6-duergar ambush, which could be interesting. The trap is interesting, and so are duergar tactics. The map is quarter-decent. I think I'm getting a multiple-elevation thing, but I really can't tell.

Then, we have really-small town that's been overrun by enemies, with the exception of oread in article above. There's a gray ooze that - get this- gets frightened by the number of vegepygmies in the other areas and so hides in an area. Was that supposed to be funny? There are also some vegepygmies here. HOWEVER, the map here is decent for what it is, and could be used. I'm snagging it.

Then, the tomb itself. Hey! I just found that whole trial to be the next king thing! Its here. 4 skill checks. Really really bland. And stupid. One of the PCs gets to be king, and the other 3 go on adventuring? This sounds like a really bad idea. Also here are more vegepygmies. Yay! The tomb map is quarter-decent.

There's also a piece of art here that I'm struggling to comprehend. If you figure out what it's supposed to be, let me know in the comments.

But yeah, all in all, this adventure sucks. Maybe the duergar encounter (encounter B) might be cool as a random encounter, and take a look at the maps. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

Dark Explorers: Archetypes of the DarklandsHere, I'm going to rate the individual things

Ranger archetype: Darklands scout
So, he has a cool thing with stalactites. He touches one, and then he can (see, and eventually teleport to) other stalactites within a certain distance. Lame.
He swap favored enemy for favored ally, which I think is unfluffy, and he only gets track vs his allies. Boring.
He can pass through narrow spaces. Cool!
He can conceal himself in rocks. He also gets hardness. Cool, but why does the hardness persist for 2 rounds after he leaves? I don't know.
Then, he can become a "living rock" and gain hardness 10. The name of the archetype is darklands scout, not warrior of the stalagtite.
All in all, it sucks. The darklands are more than stalagmites and tites, and the darklands scout doesn't do much beyond that. A bunch of the abilities are also really situational, and I have no clue why I'd ever want to play this. That being said, it isn't broken or imbalanced.

Rogue archetype: Delver
This one actually makes sense.
Its a rogue who is skilled at avoiding the hazards of the darklands. At later levels, he can climb and use acrobatics without being flatfooted. Cool.
I see no reasons to not allow this in your game. It's flavorful, but I think that some of the abilities are somewhat weak. To be honest, I didn't actually know that you were flatfooted when using climb and acrobatics to move across surfaces, and I've never seen this in use, so maybe that's why. Still, with a bit of tweaking, this could go somewhere.

Fighter Archetype: Tunneler
This one is pretty interesting too.
Like the name says, its a fighter who uses hammers and picks. I like the skill bonuses that bravery replaces. Not bad, though I think a wee bit overpowered, considering what little you give up. It is flavorful though. It would be so much better if there were rules for digging tunnels... Someone should totally do this btw

Fleshforging and Fleshwelding
Fleshforging: Cheap drow version of mithril with less hp. Honestly, the fact that you need victims to make a fleshforge is interesting.
Fleshwelding: Weld a magic item to your body. I find no use for this. It costs money, still takes up the slot in question, contains a save-or-turn-insane, and I don't think you can remove item in slot.

I wouldn't use this in my game, though the thematic elements of drow fleshforging and welding might be interesting to pursue, which is why it doesn't get 0 stars.

Seven fleshcraftings
These things are pretty cool!
Essentially, they are drow potions that give you a temporary mutation, but also cause a drawback. I like the potions, and they seem to be pretty well-priced.
There's also an option to get these fleshcraftings permanently to your body, for a much higher price. I'm not sure if that's balanced, but I'm definitely using the potions on my table!

The art on page 20
No, its not an actual article. I've been skipping all the fiction, and intent to continue, but the piece of art on page 20 caught my eye. Its a weird octopus-like creature with teeth everywhere and I was impressed when I saw it. The top half should probably be in the next Pathfinder bestiary. Because it isn't, you should probably use the top half in your game if you ever have your PCs encounter such a creature. You might want to make one yourself. Either way, go and see it!

Weal or Woe: Rude Awakenings
We have a mongrelman druid 11 and Serpentfolk necromancer 8. The NPCs aren't bad. They aren't particularly unique, but they'd make good encounters. Great on-the-fly.

Golarion Gazetteer: Tourism In Hagegraf
There a few interesting points to Hagegraf, but nothing really engages me. There's not much I want to rip out of this, but some of the locations might prove interesting and useful. I'd spice it up before use though. 1 3/4 stars, rounded down.

Hero’s Hoard: Magic of the Greater Houses of Zirnakaynin
We have some drow-themed magic items.
Some of them are garbage. Some of them might be useful. These are the two interesting one:

Tears of Life and Death:
Can poison water, cast neutralize poison, and wearer gest a +4 resist vs poison.

Umbral Tome:
A spellbook which can be used as a focus to make shadow spells last longer, and give summoned creatures the shadow template instead of fiendish/celestial. I'm somewhat wary of power creep, and I think this might cause it, so I'd increase the length it takes to cast spells using this tome.

The others

Prestigious: Secretkeeper
It's a PrC for worshippers of Norgorber. It's pretty interesting, though its not for a hack-and-slash group. It gives some cool ability, like mindwipes, and also circumvents some of those alignment spells. I think it is a little underpowered, but your mileave may vary. I think the problem with this is that it's premise of nondetection and stealth isn't something Pathfinder does very well. Though someone really should make some rules to change that, in which case this PrC is pretty cool.

Natural Entrances to the Darklands
I thought the above was obvious. Even if it isn't, its way too longwinded, and if I needed an entrance to the Darklands, I'm sure I could have made my own. Skip.

Three secrets of Sekamina
Three seeds of locations in the Darklands. Not bad. They're pretty interesting, though I'd tweak them before use. The concept is interesting. The piece of art is also good.

Magic, Poison, and Madness
New stuffs!
3 new poisons
Pretty cool. I like the Rot Grub paste, since PCs can make it using Rot Grubs. The Ghost Mold powder seems way too good for its price; I would raise it significantly. Still, they're new poisons.

Wizard Archetype: Malefic Arcanist
Its a wizard who infuses poison in his spell. Pretty cool.

Derro Bloodline
A pretty nice bloodline, that I can see being used. Its very derro-like as well. You can confuse creatures, you lose wis but gain charisma, and eventually can shapeshift into other humanoids. Its pretty cool, but I would change the 8th level bonuses to be inherent, rather than untyped.

Hero's Hoard: Magic Items from the Darklands

Neat magic items
There's a compass which points to the last place it was tapped against, a cloak which nullifies scent and can regrow damage, and an awesome wooden shield.

Stupid magic items
There's boots that allow you to cast create pit as a swift action in an adjacent square. That's OP and needs to be slightly changed. There's also a gas mask, except it's made from a mushroom. But it's still a gas mask.

Weal or Woe: Transformations of Faith
Elf Paladin 4 whose hands have become claws. Pretty cool. The art is decent too. That being said, she still uses a sword. I'd tweak before use, but it still has some nice potential. Also, I'm unsure as to how a lvl 4 elf gets str 20.
Zombie lord noble drow magus 2/cleric 2. Interesting mix. I'd use as is. Not much to say.

Fractured Fane Of The Fleshwarpers
An adventure for 4th level characters.
It's a dungeon delve of a fleshwarping complex.

The map: Its really linear. There's also a pretty cool chasm which splits the temple in two. The problem is that I think most parties are going to have trouble going across. Is that a problem? Not necessarily.

I like many of the encounters here. In particular, the harpies at the charm is well-thought out and cool. There are also some empty rooms which enemies might retreat into. That's cool, but the rooms are dead ends. It would be nice if enemies could retreat into one room, then another, until they reached the rest of their force. That being said, kudos to Morgan Boehringer for having neighboring chambers interact. This is cool. For example, the derros in one chamber toss alchemist's fire into an adjacent room.

There's also a new creature, the fellclaw, which I think is pretty cool. 2 1/4 stars.

Golarion Gazetteer: Filarynath
This one is pretty cool. It's a description of a large cave, complete with warring factions. My only complaint is that it only has 1 entrance/exit. That's easily remedied, and the locations and personages detailed are worth looking at. The map and illustration are also quite good.

Golarion Gazetteer: Dairntun
It's a Gazetteer of a small underdark city. It reads like a piece of fiction, and is way too long for what it is. The only interesting thing is the fact that there's an exit tax, and how that affects the city, except it rapidly falls apart.

Weal or Woe: Chiaroscuro
A Halfing Oracle 8, who aids those in need.
A Will'o'wisp Sorceror 7, who tries to cause cave-ins and otherwise hamper the PCs. I really like this villain. Another thing to note is the inversion of good = light and bad = dark. The Oracle has difficulties seeing, and the Will'o'wisp uses light to trick the PCs to approach.

Beacons in the Darklands
New darklands stuff
Curving Spell Metamagic Feat Line
An interesting series of spell, and particularly well-suited for the darklands. It allows rays to bend. Its not particularly over-powered, but none-the-less useful and interesting. Not only that, but it really is a novel idea.

Deception Reception enchantment Spell
Another really cool spell. This one gives targets an "aura of deception", and prevents other players for considering them as allies for the purposes of spell effects. I like this one a lot. Its interesting and cool and different.

Ooze most vial
How to use oozes with arrowheads. Good, but slightly situational, and I suppose that's actually a good thing.

Boltursus
A giant silvery bear with flourescent eyes which does poison damage. I really like this one. It's easy to describe, but so different than most bears that its hopefully surprising.

The Mundane Perils of Nar-Voth
Natural traps to be found in caves. They're decent, but somewhat bland. 1 3/4 stars.

Safe Havens in the Darklands
Some cool natural features of the Darklands that won't kill your party. Useful if you want something that isn't meant to be hacked and slashed in your game.

Weird Mushrooms of the Darklands
Some mushrooms, some of which won't kill your party. Decent offering, might find some use.

Bestiary
Lots of really cool monsters! Some uncool ones too, like the cave camel it's just a camel that's underground. I'm having difficulty seeing how this one is unique.. I also spotted a Chaotic Good creature, the Lumin! A rare sight!

Deverin's Folly
A level 2 adventure designed for use with the Beginner's Box.

The idea is that something in the mines has been stealing sheep from nearby, and the PCs need to kill it. The problem? It's a 5 room delve. The monster can be found in the first room. Why bother going on? Also, the first room has a centipede and a collapsing shack trap. This normally would be really cool, except that I don't think they're meant to interact. I actually am not sure exactly how the shack falls. Do the PCs need to poke it, or does it happen automatically.

That being said, the next room, the foreman's cabin, has some pretty decent Sandpoint treasure.

We continue with an earth elemental who tends a fungi garden. As long as the PCs don't step on fungi, it won't attack, which is cool. After that, we have the underground river, and then two trogs.

All in all, most of this is just a series of monsters. Not much fantastic about this. It is runnable though, but rather boring.

Into the Dark
Another level 2 adventure. The PCs need to kill some ghouls. Off to the linear caverns we go!

It's another lame adventure that is really a collection of monsters and NPCs from other sources. The exception is that there's a trog encounter which the PCs can bypass in which every course of action is pretty much mapped and statted out. There goes creativity!

The Gateway to Nar-Voth
Another linear cave adventure that's completely boring! This one is for 4th level characters though. Oh, and there's a GMNPC involved too! The start has the PCs go down a well, and pays excruciating detail to the skill check, giving banal information which can be found in the CRB. The rest of the adventure is generic traps, monsters, and treasures, arranged in a linear fashion.

Beginner Box Conversions
Underdark monsters statted for use with the beginner box. They aren't new, and can be found in the Pathfinder books. They're also close enough to the real statblock that you should probably use those.

4 Dwarf PCs
For use with the first adventure in this zine. They're pregens around a cool theme. You don't find that often. Plus, I'm sure they could be repurposed as NPCs.

Summary
Well, there you have it! 100+ pages of content, nicely rated for you to use or skip. Honestly, there's a lot of garbage that you shouldn't waste your time with I have no clue how this always gets amazing reviews on paizo's sites. However, there's some nice stuff that you can definitely use, and, being free, there's no reason why you shouldn't pillage some of these things. In particular, "Beacons of the Darklands", and "Seven fleshcraftings" might be useful if you're running an underdark adventure. More importantly, if you ever run out of contents, there are a bunch of decent creatures here that you can pull out, from the bestiary to the Weal and Woe series. For those of you not running anything in the darklands or other underground area though, this is pretty useless.

Thanks for reading this review. I'm new to this whole process, so if you have any feedback or commentary, I really want to hear it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really admire this review, I got a lot out of it. Please keep up the excellent work.

On a separate note I hereby formally invite you to participate in the play by forum game I am running here on RPGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lupine wrote:
I really admire this review, I got a lot out of it. Please keep up the excellent work.

On a separate note I hereby formally invite you to play the play by forum game I am running here on RPGG.

Thanks!

I was in need of ideas for dungeon creatures and other such things for a campaign of mine, so I decided to go and take a really good look at this source and find out what I might want to use for my game.

Thanks also for the offer to play your game, but I'm pretty full with PbF games actually, and I've just started to GM a F2F group, so now isn't a very good time .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutys_Fist wrote:
lupine wrote:

On a separate note I hereby formally invite you to play the play by forum game I am running here on RPGG.

Thanks!

I was in need of ideas for dungeon creatures and other such things for a campaign of mine, so I decided to go and take a really good look at this source and find out what I might want to use for my game.

Thanks also for the offer to play your game, but I'm pretty full with PbF games actually, and I've just started to GM a F2F group, so now isn't a very good time .

just tell me what a vegepygmy is and we will call it even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lupine wrote:
Dutys_Fist wrote:
lupine wrote:

Thanks!

just tell me what a vegepygmy is and we will call it even.

I'm not too sure, but its in one of the bestiaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.