DSS2: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water - an Obsidian review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Obsidian Man
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth, Air, Fire and Water is the Dark Sun accessory dedicated to the priest class of Athas. It has the form of the common 96 pages softcover Ad&d book.

The first and second chapters discuss the Elemental Powers and the Elemental Clerics. Chapter three deals with the Paraelemental clerics (silt, sun, magma and rain clerics). Chapters four and five discuss the Druids and the Templars. Chapter six speaks of Shrines and Power Conjunctions, chapter seven the Advanced Beings and the Adventures in the Inner Planes. The last dozen pages presents more than 50 new spells for Dark Sun priests.

I had high expectation for this accessory, since the Elemental clerics are one of the most interesting class in Dark Sun, but it turned out to be a big delusion.
Even if i am not a native english speaker i found the fiction and the overall writing rather dull and boring. Zero inventive from the designer. I would say that most of the information from this manual can be found in the base boxed set and in the Dragon Kings hardcover too.

I don't agree at all with the "elemental clerics as nurturers of the land opposed to the evil paraelemental priests" view (a perspective that i see better suited for druids, the real "paladins" of the Athas green and nature, but nothing new is said about druids unfortunately). Of course paraelemental clerics are in this view bot suited as PCs. The examples of Shrines touch the ridicolous with uninteresting NPCs and encounters. Every DM that read the base Dark Sun manual and the Dragon Kings supplement (if you'd like to explore higher levels) doesn't need E, A, F and W.

I read all the new spells, some are interesting, but the majority of -for example- fire based spells are just variations of the same.

The most useful thing in this Dark Sun accessory is the complete Dark Sun spell index for clerics at the end of the manual ( before the revised boxed set).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls