Subject: A Good Norse RPG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendation [+] [View All]
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently on the hunt for a good norse rpg and was wondering if anyone has some recommendations?
I've been looking at Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok which seems really interesting and Yggdrasil but those are about the only ones I've really seen (besides a few campaign settings which I am open to as well but I would prefer an actual system).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
The Avalanche Press setting book Greenland Saga: The Lost Norse Colony is a pretty good semi-realistic D&D 3.X rules hack. Ignore AP's cheesecake covers- the content is actually worthy. I didn't get the later Viking Age.

Ragnarok! Tales of the Norse Gods and Doom of Odin: Tales of the Norse Gods are a pair - it's almost Ragnarok, and you're norse gods.

The AP stuff isn't terribly detailed, but it is pretty much spot on, and well written. Embarassingly bad cover art, but good product otherwise. A friend who's a horse breeder read and commented on the overall accuracy of the Noble Steeds: A d20 Guide to Horses & Mounts text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
Kezle wrote:

I've been looking at Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok which seems really interesting and Yggdrasil
I can't really advise you any other games, but having already played but also owning the full range of Yggdrasill games (in French it's a core rulebook, 5 supplements) and I found this game very interesting both in terms of historical & mythological accuracy and in the pleasure you get in playing in a setting that conflates the cultural and the mythological.

The rule system may not be perfect but in this game, you're sure not to play "vikings" but Norsemen who live alongside their gods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not as deep as Fate of Norns or Yggdrasil, but Midgard: Viking Legends is both pretty good and free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresh on the market is Sagas of the Icelanders, crowdfunded on Indiegogo (last year, I think). I only know that it uses the Powered by the Apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I played a little Vikings of Legend and it was fun. Simmy but easy, if that's your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I recommend Mythic Iceland. It's powered by Basic RolePlaying (2008), so the mechanics are really simple. Written by a resident of Iceland, it does an excellent job of capturing the landnám and represented in the Landnámabók.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Ignore AP's cheesecake covers-
But, cheesecake is so delicious!

(Embarrassingly and thankfully, cheesecake has drawn me into games that turned out to be quite enjoyable. The Savage Worlds lady is a notable example.)

Finally, I believe there's a GURPS Vikings supplement that could be used generically with whatever system you decide on. I haven't read it myself but I hear it's relatively well regarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagas of the Icelanders is really yummy - so well written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
How about RuneQuest II plus the Vikings supplement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
How about RuneQuest II plus the Vikings supplement?
Or, indeed, RuneQuest (3rd Edition) plus the Vikings supplement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirding Sagas, with the caveat that it's a game about Nordic community and culture. You're not going to go on quests to fight great monsters, you're going to deal with the trials of life in a textured culture. Very, very immersed in the history of Iceland, with a lot of great detail. Supernatural overtones are low-key, though the GM uses some of the Nordic pantheon to serve as themeing for the problems that arise against the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I stab your meeple in its face
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:

Finally, I believe there's a GURPS Vikings supplement that could be used generically with whatever system you decide on. I haven't read it myself but I hear it's relatively well regarded.
GURPS Vikings is solid. Full of useful historical facts etc. It's a bit dry in places, but I'd recommend it to anyone running a Viking campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's a lot of suggestions! Thanks lads, I'll definitely look into those! Now all I need is enough money to buy them all

Abiezer Coppe wrote:
USP45 wrote:

GURPS Vikings is solid. Full of useful historical facts etc. It's a bit dry in places, but I'd recommend it to anyone running a Viking campaign.
And I'll certainly see if I can pick up a copy of this as if it's anything like the other GURPS supplements I've seen it will be very useful no matter what system I use. Thanks for pointing it out!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
If you can read French, the Yggdrasill Core Rules is free as a pdf on the publisher's website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
If you can read French, the Yggdrasill Core Rules is free as a pdf on the publisher's website.
Thanks, I'll definitely look at that!
My French is incredibly rusty, unfortunately, but I know a few who do speak it so we'll see. (I'm seriously considering picking up the English version anyway so this will be a nice teaser at the very least, that is if I can make any sense of it )

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Kezle wrote:
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
Thanks, I'll definitely look at that!
My French is incredibly rusty, unfortunately, but I know a few who do speak it so we'll see. (I'm seriously considering picking up the English version anyway so this will be a nice teaser at the very least, that is if I can make any sense of it )

God bless,
Kezle
It's on this page. Scroll down or search Disponible gratuit and click on pdf to get your free official core rulebook.

Edit: I wanted to add that the reason behind offering the full book free of charge is that they don't intend to reprint it but they also want to counter the obscene prices you can find on eBay for out of print books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
Wow that's a lot of suggestions! Thanks lads, I'll definitely look into those! Now all I need is enough money to buy them all
Regarding Sagas,

If you have a basic understanding of how Apocalypse World-based games work, the rolebooks and the MC Playsheets give you a pretty good idea of the tone and scope of the game. They're freely available, as with most *World games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for pointing those links out because free is always good laugh

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gildersleeve
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Just found this thread. You might want to check out the Blood-Clans of Jorikk http://kenzerco.com/jorikk
It's a heavily Norse inspired setting for HackMaster, but pretty compatible with other systems. It's fantasy but, I like to think , grounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls