Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
261 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Secret Cthanta 2013: Stay on target! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Cthanta [+] Christmas [+] Secret [+] Santa [+] Exchange [+] gift_exchange [+] Yule [+] Goft [+] [View All]
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE II: The button has been clicked, the bits twiddled and the software engaged. And once the BGG hivebrain has finished masticating, we'll all have our targets in our inboxes.

So then: Have a great time everybody! It's never to early to start shopping, but I'd ask folks to give people a few more days to solidify their lists before you pull the trigger on any ordering.

Also, make sure to use the Cthanta Claus account to communicate with your target. Let them know you're thinking about them. And vice versa! Don't forget to let your benefactor know that you're paying attention. (Please limit your use of the Cthanta account to this thread, the Tavern and notes too and from your special friends in the exchange.)

Finally, please remember to post an item in the Look What Cthanta Sent Me once you receive your gift.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

EDIT: I'm going to pull the trigger and assign targets somewhere in the neighborhood of midnight (PST) on Tuesday. Stand ready.

Time is a tyrant. The years tick by, one by one, and we age without really ever noticing much as it happens. The constant: It's all getting unquestionably *weirder* out there. Precious sanity -- so delicate in the best of times -- frays noticeably when October arrives. Why?

The 2013 RPGG Secret Cthanta Gift Exchange has begun!

Fun, fun, fun, right? Old hands know the rules, which are simple enough. For you newbs though, please read at least the first portion of this wall of text. Secret Cthanta is damn fun, but please take a few moments to mitigate potential disappointment by realizing a few important things:

FIRST: This is an INTERNATIONAL exchange. If you join, it is possible, even LIKELY, that you will be asked to ship a present to a different continent. Know that cold before you you join.

EQUALLY IMPORTANT: You must be *serious* about sending a present. Without putting too fine a point on it, it's a major downer when people join, get a present and then disappear. So don't do that, please.

DEADLINE: The final day to join will be Tuesday, November 12th

CTHANT'S LI'L HELPERS: We always have need of those generous and hearty souls who have the wherewithal to step in send a gift in the case of a foul-up. If you like, you can sign up as a "give-only" participant in the exchange. Or, you can sign up and participate normally and volunteer as a provisional angel in addition. Please, send a note if this appeals.

Click it, acolyte! You weren't even using your immortal soul. So get rid of it HERE!

OK, now onto the fine print, mostly unchanged from last year. (Yes, it's a wordy wall o' text, but there's good info in it, I promise.

Commit to it. Already mentioned above, but it surely bears repeating. Please DO join if you want to have some fun and are pretty sure you will send a present anywhere in the world. Please DON'T join if you are unsure or wavering.

Click the link! Yeah, sure. I already put the link in up above. But here it is again, super-sized:

What link? THIS LINK!

Remember that the info you type into the form will be the EXACT info your donor will use to send you a gift. Accuracy counts! And nota bene (again, repeated but biggified):

The final day to join the event is Tuesday, Nov. 12.

Want out? If you need to leave the exchange, geekmail me before targets are assigned. It's that simple.

Update your wishlist. For me, this can be a big part of the fun. Hmmm... what do I want? There's so many things! So enjoy the process. And whilst enjoying, put in as much information as you can. How bad do you want the item? Why do you want it? Used OK? Try to get 20 things on there.

Vary the price range of things with some "meaty" items as well as a few stocking stuffer-type items. A lot of people enjoy the shopping and the sending, so if you have a nice variety of things, it helps them have a good time as well.

Pay attention also to the availability of the things you like. It's fine to have obscure things there, but it's very, very helpful to have things that are readily available in your home country, but that you just haven't picked up yet. That can make life a lot easier on international Cthantas.

Communicate! It's MUCH more fun, as well as less nerve-wracking to let your target know what's going on. We've got an account designed just for this purpose, so use it and enjoy it. Seriously, even though the generosity propelling this exchange is nearly limitless, people get a little edgy when they haven't heard anything by Dec. 20. So taunt them mercilessly, but assuage them as well.

Shoot for December 24th! Targets will be assigned once November 12th ends here in mine own home on the west coast of the US. Enjoy the shopping process, take your time with it, but try your best to get your gift there by Christmas Eve. It's not the end of the world if you fail, and with international shipping foul-ups are all but inevitable. But do your best, communicate, and everything will be sorted in the end.

Caveats, guidelines, quibbles, etc.

Price guide. So far, we've used $40 USD as a number to shoot for, and that seems to have worked well. No need to change it. To me, a nice little package would be something along the lines of the Pathfinder Core rules as a "main" and then a stocking stuffer (Some dice, minis, gadgets, doo-dads, artwork, an adventure module, whatever) as an "alt". But if you're feeling flush, and you want to give more, by all means please do!

PDFs. These things are taking over the world, and we have to get used to it. Many people prefer these over dead trees, and they can really be cost-effective. But since receiving an email attachment as a Christmas present would be, well, lame, (as well as possibly dodgy, copyright-wise) we have to be creative.

The best way that I've found to deliver PDFs is to buy a gift certificate from an online store and then send the code in a Christmas card or cute little present. This keeps things legit, as well as giving something to put under the tree. Make sure though that your target really wants PDFs before you send!

Spin the globe I don't want to belabor this point (although I clearly am. Has this caused issues in the past? Yes it has.) but remember that we are an INTERNATIONAL exchange. There are resources to help make this easier on you though, and the fact that we largely send books really helps.

Sending stuff to other nations is fun!

Problems? There are always a few. Contact me via geekmail if you need to. Resources are available to sort almost every problem. Just let me know.

Angelhood If anyone wants to join as a "give-only" participant, there's a little checkbox on the form that makes it easy to do so. Despite his overwhelming power, Cthanta has had need to call on these "insurance policies" in the past, and I personally am BEYOND grateful to those generous souls who do this. If you want to participate normally and be an angel as well, just sign up as usual and then let me know.

Have fun, everybody. I know I will.

Happy holidays!

P.S. Keep this guy in mind and use him liberally: The password's "password", as I recall...

Cthanta Claus
Other-South Pacific
The Dreamless Deep
Ceaseless Rage
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Squeals of horror and despair: Secret Cthanta 2013 begins NOW!
YAY, finally some use for my soul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
I am so IN!

I participated to last year's Secret Cthanta and this year's Unbirthday gift exchanges, both times I was assigned a target from the other side of the globe and it was just AWESOME to see how delighted my targets were.

Go for it, everybody, this is THE event you don't want to miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juleske wrote:
YAY, finally some use for my soul!
I know, right? The damn things a bigger burden than my virginity ever was, that's for sure. (Not that I thought that when I was still carrying it around, mind you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important question...

What color will the microbadge be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Goenner
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Yup, changed the Avatar for self-promotion.
badge
Go vote in the 24-Hour RPG Design Contest!
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely in again this year. I'm expecting MistressGeek will be piping in soon enough with her inclusion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Mini Six
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, Humbug!

Okay, okay. I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Still debating.

Last year I did BGG, RPGG, and Wargame Secret Santas, and it was super fun, but this year we've had to really curtail our spending and get on a super budget. Add to that the fact the we have our second child due in late December, and I'm torn.

The cost to purchase and ship a game to another continent could be more than the total amount my wife and I agreed to spend on each other. I can't see that going over well at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Gardner
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in like...

Flynn?

A djinn?

A flind?

Thorin?

An assassin?

Hmm, anyway, count me in again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
Still debating.

Last year I did BGG, RPGG, and Wargame Secret Santas, and it was super fun, but this year we've had to really curtail our spending and get on a super budget. Add to that the fact the we have our second child due in late December, and I'm torn.

The cost to purchase and ship a game to another continent could be more than the total amount my wife and I agreed to spend on each other. I can't see that going over well at home.

Amazon.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:
Still debating.

Amazon.de
Most of the European countries have their own online stores to buy from, in which case the postage isn't that bad. There's also many online stores to neighbouring countries which again makes the postage much cheaper than to ship from the other side of the globe.

Also, I there's a list of those online stores somewhere. I'm sure Jan will post it as I think he started it Oh and at least I'm going to be listing the stores on my profile, to make both Santa's and Cthanta's job easier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mb
In.

Definitely in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:
Still debating.

Amazon.de
Most of the European countries have their own online stores to buy from, in which case the postage isn't that bad. There's also many online stores to neighbouring countries which again makes the postage much cheaper than to ship from the other side of the globe.

Also, I there's a list of those online stores somewhere. I'm sure Jan will post it as I think he started it Oh and at least I'm going to be listing the stores on my profile, to make both Santa's and Cthanta's job easier

Or at least they know some they can point you to when you taunt them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In!

Now, what do I need to put on my wishlist? It's looking kinda sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Logan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

What's that Cthanta? More minions required for the busiest time of year?

But I served so faithfully last year and those days of wearing robes, sacrificing tramps and robbing the local library of ancient tomes are far behind me.

It's Christmas!?!?!?

Looks like I might be in again this year. I'll have to count m'pennies and see.

Great Cthanta be merciful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

In again this year.

"Mwaa-aa-aa-aa!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Now, what do I need to put on my wishlist? It's looking kinda sad.

You bring up an excellent point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Immer
Germany
Saterland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
In again, even it was a quiet RPGGeek year for me I will give my best to make This Cthanta very creepy ähmm funny ähmm satisfying.

Enjoy the Christmas season, Helloween and the winter. Winter is coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai S.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Drama Llama Roleplaying Society
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm in.

But what to put on the wishlist? Decisions, decisions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a bit of a Silly Question....is this the same as RPGG Secret Santa or will there be another secret Santa?

Just curious if the name was changed to protect the innocent? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBigE wrote:
Maybe a bit of a Silly Question....is this the same as RPGG Secret Santa or will there be another secret Santa?

No one is innocent... devil

But to answer your question, this is it. This is the main annual gift exchange for RPGG. All the insanity-provoking love and generosity goes down right here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Marqos wrote:
TheBigE wrote:

No one is innocent... devil

But to answer your question, this is it. This is the main annual gift exchange for RPGG. All the insanity-provoking love and generosity goes down right here!
The way I understand it is that Cthulhu decided to tentacle Santa back to BGG/VGG and keep the RPGG prerogative, perhaps to reward RPGers with insanity for helping IT devour more and more cultists since the early 1980s. Ftäghn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] |