Terrible Beauty
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Ruins of Zhentil Keep
50 Fathoms
Citybook I: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
A1-4: Scourge of the Slavelords
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing (RMFRP, 4th Edition)
Tegel Manor
Traveller: Deluxe Edition
Eidolon: City in the Sky
Parsely #1: Action Castle
Misspent Youth
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Fate Core System
Torchbearer
Cat's Eye
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Legacy: Life Among the Ruins
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 43 - Mar 1979)
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 44 - Apr 1979)
Cthulhu Dark 0
SOLO: Solo RPG Campaigns for the Cepheus Engine
The Sprawl: November Metric
Pip System QuickStart
Mini-dungeon Module G9: The Fallen Abbey
Treasure Hunter
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
Player's Handbook (D&D 4e)
Death on the Reik
Dogs in the Vineyard
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
94 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Kingdom» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Vispae Prime [OOC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom PBF

Players:

Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb

Alright guys, so lets get started setting up our game. There's no GM, but since I've played before, i'll lead us through. I'll explain things step-by-step as we go along. If you're confused at any time, feel free to ask questions!

First things first, we need to figure out what our "Kingdom" will be. The Kingdom won't just be the backdrop of our game; it will be its shared heart, tying all of our characters and actions together.

So, it needs to be something we all find engaging/interesting.

In terms of specifics, the Kingdom needs to include at least 20 or 30 people. There is no upper limit.

I can throw out some of the Kingdom seeds (examples) from the book (which are separated by category - Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Realistic, Historical), or we can brainstorm our own.

The rulebook does recommend that for your first game, you shouldn't pick something overly exotic - which can make wrapping your head around the rules more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kingdom PBF [OOC]
My first thoughts, this is first thing in the morning and I'm equally happy with the other choices. Though I do think brainstorming our own is more fun.

Sci-Fi

Refugees from a war torn/disaster struck galaxy that have found their way to a remote planet far from the fight or so they think (Similar to Sid Mier's Alpha Centauri)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be OK with the group of refugees scenario, especially with a settling a new planet vibe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Rag-tag colonists/refugees could be a pretty interesting game.

Let's all get brainstormin' and find an idea we'd all like to explore and collaborate on.

I'm OK with both Sci-Fi and fantasy, but have a small preference for the latter.

I don't know precisely why, but I really like the idea of playing as a mercenary company or merchant republic (both of which could work in both settings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SA_Viking wrote:

Let's all get brainstormin' and find an idea we'd all like to explore and collaborate on.

I'm OK with both Sci-Fi and fantasy, but have a small preference for the latter.

I don't know precisely why, but I really like the idea of playing as a mercenary company or merchant republic (both of which could work in both settings).

Maybe something with a 'Dune' style would be a nice bridge between them. And maybe the refugees are a mercenry company(or Merchant convoy) that went awol during the end of the war.

If we need some kind of adversary kingdom we can go with native lifeforms or another refugee ship/fleet(depending on the size of our group)

Hmm maybe we're in a kind of 'battlestar galactic' setting, but set after they land at their final destination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
SA_Viking wrote:

Maybe something with a 'Dune' style would be a nice bridge between them. And maybe the refugees are a mercenry company(or Merchant convoy) that went awol during the end of the war.

If we need some kind of adversary kingdom we can go with native lifeforms or another refugee ship/fleet(depending on the size of our group)

Hmm maybe we're in a kind of 'battlestar galactic' setting, but set after they land at their final destination.

Yeah, a combination of the 2 could work. Keep in mind, at this phase of set-up, the details about the kingdom should be fairly simplistic. Our goals right now are just to come up with a concept - and then a name for our kingdom.

Using an example from the book, we're just trying to come up with a concept like this:

Cactus Flats is a frontier town in the Wild West. There are
ranchers, rustlers and gunslingers. The Sheriff wears a
badge, but law mostly comes from the barrel of a gun.

The next-steps after will allow us to flesh our kingdom out more.

---------------

I do really like the idea of an awol merc company.

Hmmm.. I'm gonna write up something to get us started. Feel free to offer any suggestions or criticisms. This is still just tentative.

The Refugees (working title)

A rag-tag group of refugees, composed of Imperial officials, disillusioned citizens, and various other vagrants, struggles for survival after establishing a new colony - free from the grasp of their former Empire. The refugee's bid for independence is greatly helped by a strong mercenary company who broke contract with the Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. Had forgotten to subscribe to this thread. This all sounds great. Your choice to reference Cactus Flats with SciFi has me feeling all "Firefly"!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SA_Viking wrote:

A rag-tag group of refugees, composed of Imperial officials, disillusioned citizens, and various other vagrants, struggles for survival after establishing a new colony - free from the grasp of their former Empire. The refugee's bid for independence is greatly helped by a strong mercenary company who broke contract with the Empire.

I like it. I still find the idea that they've left the empire to escape something. maybe a civil war (Central planets versus the new colonies) that the refugees actually are from both sides of the war. Maybe a alien invasion. Maybe a plague...

So less independence, more survival. Though I'm also happy with playing it as written if no one finds these ideas interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so what about this?

A rag-tag group of refugees, composed of Imperial officials, disillusioned citizens - and various other vagrants - struggles for survival after establishing a new colony - escaping from their war-torn and unstable former Empire. The refugees are greatly helped in this endeavor by a strong mercenary company who broke contract with the Empire.

How about everyone gives a yay or nay - and then we can either continue working on a Kingdom concept, or move onto the next step.

Remember, The Kingdom should be something everyone finds engaging, so if someone doesn't really like this idea, we can look for another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to move on, but not heard from the others so maybe worth waiting a day or so just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with the kingdom concept too. As written it could still be science fiction or fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur. Excited to get our Kingdom on. Will try to finish rules this holiday weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, awesome.

As of now I think we're going to go ahead with Sci-Fi, unless anyone has issue with that.

Here's the tentative name I have going for our colony: Vispae Prime. Feel free to suggest an alternative.

I'm going to propose that the mercenaries are not actually part of our kingdom - or community. I think it may make things a bit too complicated for our first game. We will just be playing the colonists/refugees.

The mercenaries will still be part of the game; they helped establish the colony, but did not settle in the Vispae Prime for whatever reason.

Ok - onto the next step:

Step 2 - Threats

We have to brainstorm 3 threats to the Kingdom. These are external or internal forces or pressures that would upset the status quo. They may be brewing, but they aren't actively endangering the kingdom yet.

These are only a starting point; they may give us ideas for things to explore during the game, but they may not be the real problems we end up facing.

We should have at least 1 of each type of threat - internal and external.

---------------

Off the top of my head, here are a few potential threats:

The Empire is beginning to stabilize somewhat, and will be able to free up enough resources to turn its attention towards Vispae Prime soon.

The mercenaries are increasingly intervening in the state affairs affairs of Vispae Prime.

Vispae Prime doesn't have the ability to remain self-sufficient for long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about an internal threat of:

Some of the older, more conservative refugees want to recreate the political/social structures of the Empire, but the younger refugees want radical change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea if an internal threat to do with the colony's ability to survive, so either a rush to establish self sufficiency before the existing supplies run out, or to create a stable living place in the face of freaky weather or tectonic conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For this type of kingdom (and possibly for any kingdom), I find the idea of internal threats more rife with roleplaying/storytelling opportunities, so I wouldn't mind two internal vs. one external...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalii wrote:
How about an internal threat of:
Some of the older, more conservative refugees want to recreate the political/social structures of the Empire, but the younger refugees want radical change.

I really like this one.

How about, we tentatively have these as our 3 threats:

External:The mercenaries are increasingly intervening in the state affairs of Vispae Prime.

Internal:Some of the older, more conservative refugees want to recreate the political/social structures of the Empire, but the younger refugees want radical change.

Internal Vispae Prime's doesn't have ability to remain self-sufficient for long.

We should wait for znirp's input - and see if he has any ideas. Also, we should brainstorm how we wanna expand on the last threat about self-sufficiency (or we could just leave it vague/general .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say maybe the kingdom starts with only the ships they arrived in for building materials and resources. And maybe something about the mercenaries settlement having the same problem but they have lots of weapons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, sounds good. Remember, the mercenaries aren't considered part of our kingdom and didn't settle in the colony. I think this will make everything run a bit smoother for our first game.

So basic backstory is:

Refugees flee from war-torn and oppressive Empire and establish new colony, Vispae Prime, with the paid help of a strong mercenary company. The mercenaries use this endeavor to break contract with the empire - who was running late on payments.

Mercenaries are now established nearby Vispae Prime, using their massive starship fleet as base of operations.

3 Threats are:

External:The mercenaries are increasingly intervening in the state affairs of Vispae Prime.

Internal:Some of the older, more conservative refugees want to recreate the political/social structures of the Empire, but the younger refugees want radical change.

Internal Vispae Prime's doesn't have ability to remain self-sufficient for long. The supplies they brought with them are beginning to run out.

So, what do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions - do you wanna change anything up, or are we ready to move onto next step?

Also, at any time, if anyone has a good idea for the names of both the empire, and the mercenary company, throw it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire names: The Great Corolla Expanse, The Ortonian Empire, The Xian-Orfex collective.

Mercenary company names: The Phonic Eagles, Blackthorn, The Drop Bear Boys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
The Phonic Eagles

Hah, I read this when I was tired, and thought it said Phallic Eagles

I like these two: The Ortonian Empire, and The Blackthorn Company

If you guys are OK with everything, and ready to move on, let me know - so we can start the next step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SA_Viking wrote:
znirp81 wrote:
The Phonic Eagles

Hah, I read this when I was tired, and thought it said Phallic Eagles

I like these two: The Ortonian Empire, and The Blackthorn Company

If you guys are OK with everything, and ready to move on, let me know - so I can start the next step.

Ok I now demand we call them the Phallic Eagles!

Moving on is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, still caught up on Phallic Eagles cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalii wrote:
Sorry, still caught up on Phallic Eagles cool

I can imagine the sort of mercenary company that called themselves the Phallic Eagles would be the sort to cause trouble...

I'm fine with The Ortonian Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so now we have to come up with some locations - places in the kingdom where our characters are likely to to interact.

We each go in any order, and describe one location (some won't require a description beyond the title). Then after everyone has created one, we do so a second time.

You should try and give every location a name that the characters would refer to it as.

These aren't the only places we can explore, but they will give us places to role-play later on and help everyone visualize the Kingdom.

Vispae Council Chambers -- where most official meetings and debates take place. The chambers are very grim and industrial - as there was no time to waste to build anything ornate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.