Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kingdom PBF [OOC]
The Landing - the central bar of the settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ships Graveyard - A grounded fleet of ships of various shapes, sizes and designs that have been converted into living quarters in a rough circle surrounding the council building. Also just referred to as the 'Graveyard' and possibly 'Grave'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, so why don't we just go forward and make our 2nd locations. I don't think, in this case, it changes things too much if we don't go in proper order.

Kali, you still gotta establish 2 locations.

Liberty's Hammer - Grounded star-cruiser. Used as the de facto military headquarters - and briefing point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm I'll let some other go first while I think on this....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfire Peaks - one of the few interesting natural features of the landscape of this planet near the settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The crystal forest - the landscape of tree sized purple crystals that litter the plains between our settlement and the mercenary encampment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, been traveling with crap wifi...how about:

Prosperity Hall: the central, communal dorm for where families who haven't constructed independent lodging yet (and orphans) live and eat.

The Farm: the open expanse of land near the settlement that the refugees are clearing (and/or terraforming) in an attempt to kick start agriculture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Ok, now time to make our characters. This post will probably be a little long, but I'll try to be as concise as I can.

We go through character creation in 6 steps:

1) Role
2) Character concept
3) Locations
4) Wish or Fear
5) Issue
6) Bond

We have to do each step together. The goal is to make an ensemble of characters who can interact in interesting ways, so we all need to be on the same page throughout.

Step 1

Everyone needs to pick a role. It is a key part of this game, describing your place in the Kingdom. It gives your character a specific mechanical power in the game.

Power: You have authority over the kingdom. You decide what the kingdom does and doesn't do.

Perspective: You understand the Kingdom, both its merits and flaws. You can foresee the consequences of the decisions the Kingdom makes.

Touchstone: You reflect the desires of the people of the Kingdom. Your attitudes show us what the populace wants and how they are reacting to what is happening.

Your role describes your character at the start, but it can (probably will) change throughout the game.

We can have any combination of roles, so long as not everyone is the same.

I will choose perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take power, all the power! Bwaaaa haaa haaa haa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of Touchstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so we all have to have different combinations? Should I be touchstone/perspective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any rules for the character concept stage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalii wrote:
Okay, so we all have to have different combinations? Should I be touchstone/perspective?

We don't have to all be different, we just can't all be the same role. Pick which ever one you find most interesting.

Also, your role can change throughout the game, so don't feel locked in.

Step 2

So everyone makes a description of their character. It doesn't need to be a massive overview. Like the concept we made for our kingdom, it should be somewhat simple. The other steps flesh out the characters more.

It should include what you do in the kingdom: what's your job/duties/official title if you have one.

You should pick a concept that fits your role. Some are obvious: president has power, advisor has perspective. You can be more creative, though: The weak king who understands his people (touchstone)

Your character has to care about the kingdom - and be in a position where what happens to it affects them.

So here's mine:

Commander Richard Ryker (Perspective)

Commander Ryker is a leading member of the newly arranged Vispaen military. He was instrumental in the founding of the colony. He overviews military operations and training, and takes part in council meetings.

He is stocky man, in his early 50s, with greying hair and blue eyes. He looks like a hard man, with a permanent scowl, sharp features, and a large scar across his face.

His involvement and experience in The Ortonian Empire has made him a ruthless cynic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll avoid the obvious choice for power.

Orllo Banta (power)

Banta is a large flat faced, bearded man with grease and dirt covered overalls. He's in charge of the workers and hand full of scientists charged with getting food production up and running. He tries to project the air of a gentle and generous man but he is not above using his stranglehold on rations to get his way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darzia Farnell - explorer and geologist (touchstone). Darzia was one of the people who selected and approved the location of the new colony, and is busy mapping the rest of the planet and searching for useful mineral deposits. She also has a seat on the council. In her late 30s, Darzia is a lean woman with short dark hair, gregarious and warm but quick to anger and prepared to hold a grudge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

I just wanna make one thing clear, though:

Our characters are the only ones who - mechanically - have any influence over the kingdom.

So that means even if power doesn't have the highest official title, they are still the de-facto authority over the whole kingdom. They get to decide what the kingdom does.

And likewise for the other roles; perspective is the only one who can (accurately) perceive consequences, and touchstone reflects the will of the people.

There can be NPCs to flavor the story, but regardless of their titles, they have no influence in practice.

Of course, this monopoly on influence changes if there are more than one player with the same role.

So znirp, that means Orllo Banta, and his control of workers/food, gives him complete power over the kingdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrell Forte (touchstone) is nineteen years old, alone and discontent. His mom died when he was young and his father died in the chaos of the exodus. He is entrenched with the younger refugees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To save time, we'll do the next 3 steps in one go before doing final one together.

3. Locations

Pick 2 locations from the list where your character is often found. Say what you do in these places. Try to pick at least one location no one else has.

Feel free to create new locations if needed.

The point of this step is to establish where good places for players to create scenes with your character are.

4. Wish/Fear

State either a wish or fear about the kingdom's future.

Pick something you want to explore in play. Your choice tells the other players what issues you want to see the Kingdom confront, whether that’s building towards something wonderful or fighting to prevent something
terrible.

No 2 characters can have same wish/fear.

It can't be about a specific person.

5. Issue

Name a personal issue that holds your character back. It could be personal flaw, or difficult relationship.

Your issue is not about outside forces stopping you. This is something about you that sabotages you.

Richard Rykker is often found at Liberty's Hammer, the Vispean military headquarters, in military councils with other officers.

He is also usually at the local bar, The Landing.

Fear -- Rykker fears that Vispae Prime will become corrupt and exploitative like the Ortonnian Empire.

Alcoholism. Rykker frequently drinks to forget the terrible things he did as an officer under the Ortonian Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I continue with my character can I just clarify: as two of us are touchstone, there is conflict as to which of our characters truly represents the views of the people, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not conflict in that sense. It just means that there are 2 characters who reflect the attitudes of the kingdom. If these 2 character happen to have contradictory opinions it just means that the kingdom is divided in its opinion as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SA_Viking wrote:
No, not conflict in that sense. It just means that there are 2 characters who reflect the attitudes of the kingdom. If these 2 character happen to have contradictory opinions it just means that the kingdom is divided in its opinion as well.

Ah, so given the characters age difference it could be that we 'represent' (not quite the right word) different generations. Got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orllo Banta (power)

He usually striding around the farm barking orders or the ship graveyard showing he's one of the people and hoping to improve his power base.

Fear: That Vispae Prime wont survive the harsh coming summer that the technicians have predicted (starvation, drought, sandstorms etc)

Issue: Ambition, he finds it hard to separate his position of power from the well being of the kingdom, he treats threats to his power as a attack on their chance of surviving almost to the level that he'll actually be hurting their chances himself.

hows that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
Orllo Banta (power)

He usually striding around the farm barking orders or the ship graveyard showing he's one of the people and hoping to improve his power base.

Fear: That Vispae Prime wont survive the harsh coming summer that the technicians have predicted (starvation, drought, sandstorms etc)

Issue: Ambition, he finds it hard to separate his position of power from the well being of the kingdom, he treats threats to his power as a attack on their chance of surviving almost to the level that he'll actually be hurting their chances himself.

hows that?

Yeah, that's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darzia Farnell (touchstone)

Is spending a lot of time in the crystal forest, professionally, but once her working time is over she can be found at The Landing

Wish: That Vispae Prime becomes an exemplar of a non-military settlement, inspiring others.

Issue: Waifs and strays - Darzia pours far too much of her time and energy into her 'causes', men and women (these could be family, friends or lovers) who she feels need 'fixing' in some way, to the detriment of her own life and career.

Edit: sorry it took so long; I wanted to be on my computer rather than my phone, and I'm mostly getting the chance to be online on my phone lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: Sorry for delay, been under weather and slammed at work.

Terrell Forte (touchstone) is nineteen years old, alone and discontent. His mom died when he was young and his father died in the chaos of the exodus. He is entrenched with the younger refugees.

Terrell is typically found around Prosperity Hall with the orphans and/or young'uns or exploring the Starfire Peaks.

Wish: Terrell hopes that the colony will create a stable, longstanding environment that will provide a long term future for the youth.

Issue: Terrell is skeptical of/and abrasive with older authority figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.