Genesys Core Rulebook
Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else
Traveller Boxed Set
Numenera
Fate Dice
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Fudge Dice
Dungeons & Dragons (Woodgrain Box & White Box Sets)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Our Friends the Machines & Other Mysteries
Air Brigade
Fiend Folio
Aces & Eights: Player's Guidebook
Castle Drachenfels
Children of the Horned Rat
Mythic Game Master Emulator
I3: Pharaoh
Heart of Ice
Dragonbone Electronic Dice
Mars Colony
The Tome of Horrors Complete (Pathfinder Version)
Technoir
Curse of Strahd
Roleplaying Tips (Issue 635)
Roleplaying Tips (Issue 641)
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Harlem Unbound
The Spire of the Hunting Sound
Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game
Trudvang Chronicles Jorgi's Bestiary
Solstice Shenanigans: A Wintry One Shot
Tiny Horsies: The RPG
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Dwarfs - Stone and Steel
Apocrypha Now
Shadows Over Bögenhafen
Death on the Reik
Empire in Flames
Death's Dark Shadow
Plundered Vaults
The World of Greyhawk
Karak Azgal
Call of Cthulhu (6th Edition)
The Star Wars Roleplaying Game - Revised Edition
The Princes' Kingdom
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,039 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
94 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Kingdom» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Vispae Prime [OOC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kingdom PBF [OOC]
I can already see some really cool dynamics forming up!

(Sorry for the intrusion; I figured that using grey text would lessen it and let you keep focusing on the actual in-game posts. I just really wanted to comment at this stage.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
I can already see some really cool dynamics forming up!

(Sorry for the intrusion; I figured that using grey text would lessen it and let you keep focusing on the actual in-game posts. I just really wanted to comment at this stage.)

No problem! Yeah, this game should definitely be interesting.

Kali, what are Terrell Forte's duties within the kingdom? He doesn't need to have an official position if you don't want, but you should expand on what he does within the kingdom a little.

6. Bond

We now need to establish the bonds between our characters. It can be a personal relationship - or simply the manner in which their duties require them to interact. They can be friendly or hostile relationships.

Every player describes their character's connection to the character on their left (using the player list on the first post).

This means that every character will have 2 relationships.

Other players are free to let anyone know if the bond relating to their character contradicts something about them.

So using the player list at the top, my bond is with Regency (Darzia Farnell)

Commander Rykker interacts with Darzia frequently at council meetings. He believes her pacifistic notions are naive, however he still respects her.

He has drunkenly confided in Darzia the terrible acts he committed as an officer under the Ortonian Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see how the dynamics surrounding authority figures pan out. Got some people with strong stances on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb

Darzia's relationship with Orllo Banta:
Darzia slightly resents what she sees as Banta's opinion that food production trumps any other scientific endeavour - including fully exploring the planet. This may or may not be his opinion, but merely Darzia's interpretation Because Banta is such a strong person, Darzia does not find him interesting, as she can see nothing obvious that needs fixing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys good to keep this going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok lets get my bonds sorted...

..hmmmm

Banta sees Forte as his key to a up and coming power base, If he can take Terrel under his wing as a kind of father figure he secures his position well into the future of the colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
SA_Viking wrote:
Are you guys good to keep this going?

Definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Kalina
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
We are FRELLED!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaron, so are you/Commander Rykker to my left? If so, how about:

Terrell Forte (grudgingly) feels that he owes his life to the Commander for saving Forte in a firefight during the exodus, but bristles against his leadership role and the military presence generally. However, Terrell is coming to recognize that the Commanders cynicism toward the old ways may be comparable to his own.

As for a clearer role in the Kingdom, how about: Despite his relative youth, Terrell has assumed the role of organizer/teacher of the education component for the Tweens/teens in Prosperity Hall, as well as handy-man, jack of all trades and general activity director for the kids and families in the hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, awesome. That works really well, kailii!

Glad everyone is still on board.

Now we're done set-up and ready to start the game. I've got a busy day tomorrow, but at some point ill post a new thread for the game and make some character sheets.

I'll make sure to make a post giving an overview of the rules.

Meanwhile, for those of you who don't own the rule book, you can check out these links which both give a general overview:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lamemage/kingdom/descrip...
http://rpggeek.com/thread/991030/share-a-game-kingdom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'll attempt to make this as brief as possible, so I don't bog us down in rules. If something needs clarification just ask. This all may sound confusing, but once you start playing it's actually quite simple. It should make sense as we go through it.

As the rulebook suggests, I'm going to leave out a few more complicated rules (changing roles, challenges, and overthrows) for our first cycle of play.

We explore the kingdom - and our relationship to it - through Crossroads. Crossroads will be the arcs of our game.

A crossroad is a major fork in the road; an important decision the kingdom must make. It must be something the kingdom does, not simply done to it.

Deciding whether or not the Kingdom is invaded by
barbarians is not a valid Crossroad. Deciding whether to
bribe the attacking barbarians is.

Create crossroads that you think would create an interesting narrative - even if its one your character probably hates.

Scenes:

We create scenes and explore what our characters think and do about crossroad. We might find out the situation is a lot more complicated than we thought.

In this manner, the game is sort of like improve, with a loose structure holding it together. For the game to work, each player needs to be active and engaged - since each has a vital role towards the kingdom.

So, the basic overview of a cycle is:

Someone creates a cross-road (and elaborates on the details). For the first one, someone needs to take the initiative and make one. I'm going to let one of you guys - to make sure you understand the concept. Anyone feel free. From the initial crossroad creator, we go left to right.

3 cards with checkboxes are placed on table (I've put them on the new thread), Time Passes, Crisis, and Crossroad.

We go around in turns and create scenes, starting with the player who created the crossroad. Scenes must relate to the crossroad. When creating a scene you must choose a location and describe whats going on - and whose present (some scenes may not involve all characters).

At the end of scene, the player who created it may choose to check a box of Crisis, Time Passes, or Crossroad. When all boxes of the crossroad are filled we resolve it and find out what the kingdoms does - and what the consequences. Time happens refreshes the cycle, and gives the kingdom a break, and Crisis puts the kingdom into a "crisis", where we figure out if the kingdom survives or not.

I'll go into the specifics of these when we get there.

Roles:

Here's a handy printout from the creator of Kingdom on how the roles work in-games. Instead of me writting it out, it would be helpful if you could just check out the link.

http://www.lamemage.com/kingdom/Kingdom_RPG_roles.pdf

It's important to note that these roles are mainly mechanical. There is a clear divide between player and character. The characters don't know they have these special roles. A touchstone character doesn't know he reflects the will of the people; he simple holds opinions that shows the attitude of the kingdom.

Ok... Hopefully I havn't lost everyone....
Here's the new game thread

First up we need someone to take charge and make a crossroad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far that all seems clear to me, I'm subscribed to the IC thread and ready to rock. I have the beginnings of a crossroad in mind but it's only a seed in my mind and if someone has something more thought through they should go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
So far that all seems clear to me, I'm subscribed to the IC thread and ready to rock. I have the beginnings of a crossroad in mind but it's only a seed in my mind and if someone has something more thought through they should go first.

No problem. That's the fun part of this game; throwing out a seed and seeing how it develops.

Unless someone else wants to step forward, why don't you make our first crossroad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how I should word the crossroad but here we go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a kibitzer, I would suggest that the crossroad be worded as thus...

Will the kingdom build containment structures to protect the crops against the storm?

You don't actually have to work very hard to make sure that it's a hard decision; Perspective will see to that! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would someone else reword the crossroads, I'm not exactly sure what I should be doing to it to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's the structure of a Crossroads as I understand it...

"Will (group) do (thing)?" It needs to be a decision by the Kingdom to do something, and it needs to be a simple action; otherwise, nothing to worry about.

So, it should probably be something that you can understand from the opening situation already. Alternately, you could posit a Crossroads where it isn't obvious why the Kingdom is doing it, and then you play scenes to figure out why they are, especially as Perspective characters add consequences.

I would say, keep it very simple and don't worry overmuch about it yet. You could even create a Crossroads that seems like it should be an easy, obvious choice. It's then up to Perspective and Touchstone to show why it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, to clarify. The basic structure of the game is that a player establishes a crossroad - a decision the kingdom is forced to make.

Through play, power decides what the kingdom actually does; perspective establishes what the consequences of those actions are; and touchstone shows how the people feel about this - with the capacity to throw the kingdom into crisis.

As Carpe mentioned, you don't have to have a comprehensive plan behind every crossroad. Half the fun is seeing - through our colloborative play - how a seemingly simple event/decision can blossom out.

Once we've gotten a full round under play, the rules will seem less abstract.

So we don't get slowed down, here are 2 ideas (1 from Carpe). Znirp, since it is crossroad, it is your choice which one:

Will the kingdom build containment structures to protect the crops against the storm?

Will the kingdom force its citizens to work-overtime to protect the crops against the storm?

Personally, I think the second one is a bit more interesting - as it is a bit more of a hard decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you have decided on the crossroad, it is your turn to create a scene.

Scenes have to relate to the crossroad. Beyond that, they are pretty open-ended. You set the scene; establish who is present and what is going on. Other players can ask to join in, but you have final say on the set-up.

So, a scene could be a council meeting about the issue at hand, or it could be something more personal like a private meeting between 2 characters.

Make sure you stay relatively on-topic, but these scenes are basically improv. The scene creator - Znirp - decides when the scene has run its course and when it is time to end.

Hopefully for these scenes we can try and post a bit more frequently - just so we don't loose steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should one of us narrate the consequences of the crossroad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet; the Crossroads hasn't been decided. You decide the Crossroads for good when all of the boxes on the Crossroads track are checked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
Should one of us narrate the consequences of the crossroad?

Crossroad isn't resolved until all of the 'crossroad' check-boxes are filled.

Ok, so now that the scene is over, there are a few things we need to do.

After a scene, every player has the opportunity to make a reaction. A reaction a simply a small, narrative overview of what your character thinks or does in response to the scenes events.

It could can be something large in importance, but the description should be short-and sweet

You aren't allowed to role-play with other characters, though; it is strcity solo-narration.

example:

After a scene where the rebel leaders argue that they shouldn’t take any risks, Cally’s player decides to take matters into her own hands. She narrates reacting to thescene: “Cally is with a small team of partisans in a utility tunnel beneath the invader’s landing field. She places a bomb and blows the whole place sky-high.” Done.

Everyone feel free to make a reaction if you wish. Because nothing that meaningful happened in our scene I am going to pass.

Next, Znirp you need to decide which checkbox to fill up once - time passes, crisis, or crossroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that would make regency up next for making a scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add to the crisis thingy. Not sure what that does but it sounds dramatic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I didn't really explain:

When all the boxes in Time Passes are checked, there is a break in the action and a large amount of time passes - months or years.

When all the boxes in Crisis are checked, we see whether the kingdom survives or is destroyed by the crisis.

When all the boxes in Crossroad are checked, we resolve the crossroad, and find out what the consequences are.

Checking crossroad is generally the default choice; it pushes us closer to a resolution. Check crisis if you think the kingdom is starting to come apart; it pushes us closer towards internal disaster. Check Time Passes if you want to slow things down.

When all the boxes are checked in one category, we stop play and resolve it. Each one have different steps to follow - which I will go into later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
znirp81 wrote:
I'll add to the crisis thingy. Not sure what that does but it sounds dramatic!

That's the spirit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.