• [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Evelyn's Dream
As you leave the city for a second time, you pass red-brick antebellum buildings. They hide behind a veil of ivy and moss, their wroughtiron fixtures jutting out like ragged swords. Here and there, broken windows betray buildings that are empty inside. 

The day is hot, and the day's events keep everyone silent. Soon  finds herself drifting of to sleep.

She is awake, in the car driving to the Henslowe estate. The others are there, but no one is talking. Except - Evelyn hears a voice. Her own voice. Wheezing out words in a language she can’t understand. But it’s not coming from her own mouth. Her shirt shifts at her belly, as if being pushed on from within.

It dampens, more and more. Trembling, she tears her shirt away to discover a wide mouth, tongue probing, cut across her stomach like a gash, oozing pus and blood. It yells out alien words in Evelyn's voice, and when she tries to call for help she find her own mouth shrinking away to nothing, closing around her tongue, swallowing her teeth with flesh. She cannot exhale, she cannot breathe. And as she suffocates… 

She is awake, in the car driving to the Henslowe estate.

Stability roll for Evelyn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could Dorothy have copied down the symbols off the wall into her journal before she left?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The Henslowe Mansion
I am just going to move on, and Beau can make his roll when he has the time.

As Evelyn wakes up,you finally reach your destination. For the second time.

Standing proud amidst the greenery and mud, the Henslowe mansion is a classic plantation house with tall, shuttered windows and towering columns ringing porches and balconies. From a distance, the house is shining white, but up close it is streaked with mud and moss stains and takes on a greenish tint from the sullen light through the heavy leaves

The grounds are surrounded on three sides by a six-foothigh stone wall capped with wroughtiron spikes. At the front, a shut wrought-iron gate blocks the driveway. Along one wall, a gardener’s gate is rusted shut. Everything has the wet soil smell of a marsh, of rotting wood and mud.

As your car approaches, you can see the groundskeeper walk towards the gate with his dogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Stability: 1d6 = (6) = 6

Evelyn is quite startled by her Dream? I'm not sure if it was. I must still be weary from the travelling and the stories from the hospital infected by dreams with dark images. Regardless, she appears to have settled herself down by the time she has arrived back at the groundskeeper.

"We are back with permission to be here. Now will you let us pass?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 500695. badweasel
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • Stability:
  • Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:02 pm
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
...sooner than you think...
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse our eagerness, we have been through quite a bit lately and are most anxious to get to the bottom of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Currothers, the groundkeeper, looks at the note you have brought, "All right then, that seems to be in order." Without further word, he leads you up the path to the house.

Once inside he quickly shows you through the rooms on the ground floor.  It is made up of large high-ceilinged rooms with large windows and large fireplaces. There’s a parlor, a main hall with stairwell, a kitchen, a dining room, a den, a servant’s stairwell, and three porches. The kitchen smells of garbage. Bread lies molding on the counter. The dining room is stiff and still. The animal heads hung up in the den are layered with dust. The parlor furniture looks like it’s never been sat on.

“The grounds go south an’ east, but you won’t find much out there. Mother Henslowe is in her room at the top of the stairs. Try not to disturb her.  The study and some other rooms are also up there. I’ll be in my cottage if you need me.”

The place smells of damp plaster, stale flowers, and cat boxes, plus the swamp smells coming in through open porch doors and screened-in windows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnerved, Ernest goes to explore the study, hoping to find some books to riffle through.

Travelling in ancient tombs was less frightening than this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Alfred thanks Currothers and wanders into the parlor. He looks for a carafe of brandy to refill his flask, and also to see if there is anything useful in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorothy giddily rushes in and past Ernest on her way to the study.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The Parlor and Study
In the parlor Alfred finds some Brandy, it is of good quality, but it seems it hasn't been touched for a while. In an open barrel-top desk there is a ledger covering the years 1930 to the present.

A spend of accounting will allow him to read it.

Upstairs Dorothy and Ernest ente the study. You guess that nothing has been touched here since the last time Douglas left for Joy Grove. Scattered on and around the desk are a shovel, a flashlight, a camera, a ball of twine, an ink stained brush and a jar of blue ink. The shovel and flashlight are covered in dry mud.

The library itself is sizeable, and contains many books on anthropology, archaeology, business, American finance, art, art history and the occult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Evelyn is somewhat disgusted by the condition of the house.

How could they let the house fall so far? And someone is still living in this squalor?

In her aimless wandering, she manages to find herself in the study with Dorothy and Ernest. She absentmindedly pages through some of the tomes around the room.

She drily chuckles, "It will be an archaelogical expedition just to find anything in this ruin."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, some unbiased, rational information.

In the study, Paul gravitates toward the books pertaining to the occult in the hopes of finding more information about:
Edgar Job's group
Echavarria
the Thing talked about by Henslowe

Amazing how the mind can create such hideous monsters and unbelievable details when put under extreme stress. I'm sure there is a perfectly rational explanation for the hysteria both sides experienced. But what was the source of the stress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorothy joins Paul at the occult books in hopes of finding something new. She can't wait to start reading, but right as she's about to rip a book of the shelf she pauses in thought for a moment and then slowly and gingerly takes it off the shelf to avoid hurting it. Who knows how old these books could be.

Dorothy, only half paying attention to Evelyn points her finger towards a section of the books.

"Archaeology is over there."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Spend 1 Accounting.

Alfred finishes off his flask and refills it with Henslowe's brandy. He sits at the desk casually and begins flipping through the ledger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spend 1 Librarianship

Ernest begins to look through the collection of books, looking for any useful or relevant information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Alfred can see that the Henslowe's are running out of money. Their fortune has been badly hit in recent years, and there has been no attempt to recoup losses. In five years time, they will be broke.

Upstairs the other investigators are going through the library. It is filled with standard works, and nothing extraordinary. Paul finds nothing related to Edgar Job or Echavarria.

By accident Dorothy finds something she recognizes amongst the Occult books. Douglas told you earlier that he has left a clue with Frank Hickering, and she now sees a book on the shelf by Francis J. Hickering. It is "Communion Rites of Victorian Death Cults." She has heard of this book, and she notes it is the watered-down 1912 edition, and not the rarer and more grotesque 1909 edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Any strange spending habits around the time that he was released from custody and began writing his book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul continues to peruse book titles, looking for anything of even the slightest of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Evelyn wanders over the texts that appear to be medical in nature and peruses through them.

Wow, some of these are quite dated. Our research has come very far since those days. However... not all of these texts include items familiar to me. A few of the deformities appear a bit... obscure or even possibly intentional?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorothy immediately begins reading the book. It may be a dumbed down version, but it is still a rare find and maybe the bits that she needs were not taken out in the editing process. If they were, then it is still a good read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The Photo
Alfred finds no strange expenses in the ledger. Only that there expenditures are higher than their income.

Upstairs Evelyn and Paul are looking through the books. A lot of interest to them, but little that helps in the investigation.

As soon as Dorothy opens the book, a photo falls out. The image is of the estate, taken from somewhere in the back. On the back of the photo some names and images are written down. The photo was probably taken with the camera found elsewhere in the study.

Whenever an investigator find something interesting, don't wait for that player to "tell" the others. If you are in the same location, just pile on as you like. There will be situations were the one that finds the clue, is not the same as the one that can do something with it ( for instance the one finding the occult book, not having that ability). And in my experience, that can lead to game paralysis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Alfred walks into the study as the photo drops out.

Careful with the merchandise, he says jokingly. He picks up the photo and give it a once over, muttering to the others the financial information he found downstairs.

These, uh, names aren't of cultists or investigators, at least not any that I have note of. And, um, where is '1' do you think? Not a bad photograph though! Framing is slightly off.

Alfred begins poking around the study for the camera.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
To recap: Scattered on and around the desk are a shovel, a flashlight, a camera, a ball of twine, an ink stained brush and a jar of blue ink. The shovel and flashlight are covered in dry mud.

The camera is in working order, but there is no film in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [18] |