Popular Tags: [View All]
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
...sooner than you think...
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul checks the desk and surrounding area for the missing film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Paul finds no film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul decides to take a little walk.

I'm just going to go outside and get some fresh air, try to clear my head. And look around the house and surrounding area, as much as possible, to find freshly dug earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The Estate Grounds
The mud on the shovel is old. Probably from when Douglas was here last, in '33. So don' expect anything freshly dug outside.

The Henslowe estate is slowly sinking in the swamp it once bordered. Old pillars stick out of the high grasses, marking the site of a vanished building. 

Broken walls outline the edges of old structures. A car lies drowned in the mud. Leaves, blown in on an old storm, stick to everything. Birds nest in the crannies of a ruined outbuilding. Reeds grow up through the splintering walls of a forgotten shed. The song of bugs carries out of the swamp beyond, where alligators float and stare out of the canopied gloom.

At the heart of the property, where the ground slopes down into the watery mud at the swamp’s edge, tombstones jut from the weeds and reeds. Some are modest old things, some are tall stone crosses, one is a weeping angel. 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the refresher, Karl!

Alfred takes a closer look at the twine

This is a strange collection of items.

He then heads to the backyard and tries to figure out where the picture was taken. He takes the twine with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The ball of twine is marked throughout its length of twine with blue ink marks in little clusters a foot or more apart, with each cluster separated by several feet of clean twine. Each stretch of clean twine is marked by a bit of tightly knotted twine well past the halfway point between ink stains. This divides the twine either into five clusters of ink marks or into four lengths of clean twine, with each length marked by a knot.

Outside Alfred discovers that the picture was taken from the edge of the Henslowe family cemetery, right on top of one of the plots.

The plot has a tall stone cross with the following inscription: David (1856-1921) and Virginia (1854-[blank]) Henslowe. There are blue ink markings on the cross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After noticing everyone disappeared and that her picture is gone Dorothy stands up and begins heading outside without putting down the book.

She moves with the fluid grace of someone who has crashed into one too many walls with their head in a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul notices that Alfred is quite busy comparing photographs to locations outside of the house and examining a simple ball of twine.

Maybe I can learn investigative techniques from this fellow.

He moves closer to Alfred.

May I assist you with that twine? Just tell me what you need me to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Alfred passes the twine to Paul.

I'm, uh, not sure what he was up to yet, but there is paint on the twine and on this gravestone. Help me look for these names from the back of the photograph.

Looking for Grant, John & Mary, and Zachariah & Millicent. Also, inspect gravestones closer for any other distinguishing marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul begins examining the gravestones; noting names, dates, epitaphs, and special/peculiar markings.

I wonder if this gravestone with the paint is a starting point for measuring distances or locations with the twine? I'm new to this sort of thing and feel unsure of myself... not a common feeling for me. My specialties are the mysteries of the mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
These are the gravestones:

David (1856-1921) and Virginia (1854-[blank]) Henslowe; tall stone cross
Jonas Douglas Cokeridge (1897-1917); modest stone cross
Grant Henslowe (1880-1917); modest stone cross
Douglas Henslowe (1882-[blank]); modest stone block
Mary-Margaret (1880-1882) and Anne Mary (1882-1883) Henslowe; weeping angel John (1873-1929) and Mary (1873-1929) Cokeridge; tall stone cross
James (1831-1879) and Mildred (1834-1881) Jones; modest stone slab
Zachariah (1830-1862) and Millicent Henslowe (1832-1899); modest stone slab

Paul and Alfred find matches for all the names on the list. They too have ink on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel an unnatural chill in his bones, Ernest follows the others, watching silently, thinking on the 'Thing With a Thousand Mouths'.

Shaking his head to drive away the image, he looks towards Alfred.

Alfred, you wouldn't happen to have a flask on you, would you? I think I need a bit of extra courage.

Face scruntched up, he stares at the gravestones intently.

Hmm... Most of the names match the gravestones... I wonder what 'Back to One' means? Perhaps the progenitor of the Henslowe family?

Are all the gravestones covered in Ink, or just the the ones names that are listed on back of photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Only the ones mentioned on the photo, and the one from where the photo was taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ernest will go inspect the abandoned shed, and see if there is anything of note inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The abandoned shed stands rotting in the muck. It was once used for storage, but now it holds forgotten and ruined garden tools and huge garden spiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This is the good stuff; don't hit it too hard.

Alfred passes his flask to Ernest.

What if 'One' is where the picture was taken? So 'One' would be David & Virginia. Regardless, it seems that our, um, dear friend has hidden his book in this graveyard somewhere.

Can we run the twine in a straight line between David/Virginia and Grant? I'm thinking that maybe it's 'X marks the spot' sort of thing, with maybe the intersection of all these gravestones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Pulling the twin between the two stones allign some of the ink dots with the ink on those stones. But there is still a lot of twine left. One of the knots on the twine is now hanging between the two graves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What does the ground look like between the two graves. Although time has passed, does there appear to be any evidence of soil disturbance? Possibly a localized, small-scale difference in ground level? i.e. a small dip or a subtle rise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
No, not as far as Paul can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodding his head to Alfred, Ernest takes a large gulp from the flask.

He walks over and grabs the mud-caked shovel.

Feeling his face tingle and go warm, Ernest returns and examines the twine with interest.

Lets see here...

He grabs twine and, following the names on the back of the photo, wraps it around the gravestone, attempting to make all the ink dots align. So beginning with Grant, and then John/Mary, Zachariah/Millicent, and ending on David and Virginia. Have no idea if i'm on the right track...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
Looking up from her readings, Evelyn realizes that everyone else has left the room.

Where did everyone go?

Wandering over to the window, she notices Ernest, Paul and Alfred playing some sort of game.

What are they doing with that twine? Is it some sore of passtime that I am unfamiliar with?

It is then that she notices that Ernest has a shovel and is preparing to dig. Evelyn hurries outside to join them, hoping they have stumbled upon a valuable clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Ernest goes to work as Evelyn arrives.

He ties the twine tightly around David and Virginia Henslowe’s tombstone and run the twine along the other stones to the blue ink marks correspond to the ink marks on the tombstone. When he has connected all stones the twine is so taut that it can be plucked like a string in the air.

This creates an imperfect square partitioned off by twine, with a knot in each length of taut twine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You should see the notepad doodles I have for trying to visualize this. So each side of the 'square' has a knot? X marks the spot, seriously.

A thought pops into Alfred's head as he wave Ernest over. He stumbles over a tombstone as he aligns himself between all four knots. He points at his feet and pronounces giddily.

Dig here Ernest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It is not an impressive puzzle, but still, well done. I didn't get it myself until I saw the image in the book.

Three feet down in the mud and clay beneath the cemetery grass Ernest hits a metal box. It’s the color of a gun, sealed shut against mud and water by three tight metal latches. It is just barely rusting. 

Upon opening the box, the first thing you see is a flat and jagged square stone decorated with a raised but worn glyph resembling a lidded eye stylized into a glyph. It looks rather like it’s been removed from some temple wall or statue somewhere. 

Beneath that is a translucent envelope, and finally wrapped in plastic, is a notebook. 

With that, the sky pours down rain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Haha, you make me feel good about myself!

Alfred yanks at the twine and wads it into his hand as he kicks the dirt back into the hole.

Back inside, before the papers get wet.

Finding a cozy chair, Alfred plops down and has a closer look at the envelope and its contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [18] |