Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
102 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: 2013 Golden Geek Awards - Nominees Announced - Voting Closed - Winners Coming Soon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Golden_Geek_Awards [+] [View All]
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2013 Golden Geek Awards - Nominees Announced - Voting Now Open!
Surprised (in a good way) that The Guns of Gettysburg made the 2-player poll.

And great wargame nominations. Not a single not-a-wargame on there. Some might get snubbed by some purists, but all belong in the wargaming hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
Aldie wrote:
If you give no-opinion the games that you do care about are ranked above them.

So I guess if I want to vote 'against' a game I played and hated, I have to assign rankings to games I've never played?

I'll just vote positively for the ones I played and liked I think

Yes - just vote positively. You can't hurt a games's overall rankings if you put it last.

I guess the thing that's odd is this: if I want to express a preference about two games I disliked (one more than the other), there's no way I can do it without implicitly voting them as *better* than the games I haven't played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Aldie wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
Aldie wrote:
If you give no-opinion the games that you do care about are ranked above them.

So I guess if I want to vote 'against' a game I played and hated, I have to assign rankings to games I've never played?

I'll just vote positively for the ones I played and liked I think

Yes - just vote positively. You can't hurt a games's overall rankings if you put it last.

I guess the thing that's odd is this: if I want to express a preference about two games I disliked (one more than the other), there's no way I can do it without implicitly voting them as *better* than the games I haven't played.

Yes, this system assumes you prefer ranked games over unranked games. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:

Same here. There are a couple of games in the lists I've played that I disliked. Some of them I thought were quite crappy, others just not so good. A pity my critical opinion can't count now. Just state your amount of happy happy joy joy, absolutely no room for criticism.

Voting this way leads to favoring mediocre games above lesser played good games by defintion. When voters have played a game and thought 'ah it's kinda ok' it probably leads to votes (even if only a 7-10), while 'no way, that game is bad' opinions don't count against it.

This makes this whole voting system irrelevant to me. Too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo caviola
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
where is C.O.A.L. ? an italian Game by Dast Work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Uzelmaier
Germany
Freiburg i. b.
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why there are Print and Play games on the list who are't Print and Play any more? (see Eight-Minute Empire)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Call of Cthulhu needs to be taken off this list. People are going to vote on name recognition, and the 2013 RPG of the year is going to a game that wasn't released until halfway through 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Uzi125 wrote:
Why there are Print and Play games on the list who are't Print and Play any more? (see Eight-Minute Empire)

Perhaps the users that nominated the game didn't realize it was published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
bobcatpoet wrote:
You doubt the power of Cthulhu?

Not at all; I did kickstart the blasted thing after all!
I got a chance to cull through the lists to make sure all products were eligible. I was mainly looking for things that were not released in the proper time-frame (as well as combining 'GotY' votes for things like Fate Core where some people voted the Fate Core [system] or [item] rather than the RPG (by overriding and using the search box).

I did not catch that CoC 7th main rules hadn't been released - it got eligibility because the Quick Start rules came out in September:

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=690...

In any event, enough people voted it - so it's on the list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the strategy category is tight. Its amazing to think what games were ranked on the bottom.

meeple Keep playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
Call of Cthulhu needs to be taken off this list. People are going to vote on name recognition, and the 2013 RPG of the year is going to a game that wasn't released until halfway through 2014.
You're not giving us RPG Geeks enough credit. In any event, you'll be surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeBwithoutadot wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:

Same here. There are a couple of games in the lists I've played that I disliked. Some of them I thought were quite crappy, others just not so good. A pity my critical opinion can't count now. Just state your amount of happy happy joy joy, absolutely no room for criticism.

Would it work OK to do this:
* Rate the games you liked with various "good" ratings
* Rate the games you disliked with various "bad" ratings
* Rate the games you didn't play but suppose are in between your "good" and "bad" games with a single equal "in between" rating (thus not distinguishing among the unplayed games, but saying that you (probably) like them less than the ones you know are good and more than the ones you know are bad)

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very pleased with Pocket Imperium being nominated in best PnP category.

Good Little Games have two nominess in best PnP. Not bad for a debut year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Uzi125 wrote:

What are the guidelines on this?
If it's published, it can no longer win PnP? Or is it only games that no longer have a PnP version available?
I didn't nominate that specific one, but I may have nominated games for PnP that were also published.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morti wrote:
Very pleased with Pocket Imperium being nominated in best PnP category.

Good Little Games have two nominess in best PnP. Not bad for a debut year!
Pocket Imperium is a tight little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
You're not giving us RPG Geeks enough credit. In any event, you'll be surprised.

Well the problem could be random votes from not necessarily RPGGeeks
But I doubt it will be much issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
MerricB wrote:
I'm sorry... how is a game that isn't released yet eligible?

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition is not yet released!

Yeah, even I won't vote for it this year. Unless the rules change, it'll be eligible again next year.

Same for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Uzelmaier
Germany
Freiburg i. b.
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PNP is also published in my opinion. But is there no Files for Print, this is no Print and Play Game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Maruschak
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
I got a chance to cull through the lists to make sure all products were eligible. I was mainly looking for things that were not released in the proper time-frame
Some of the RPG of the Year nominations also look like they were nominated in 2012. That struck me as odd. Did they become re-eligible due to supplements being released or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Maruschak wrote:
wavemotion wrote:
I got a chance to cull through the lists to make sure all products were eligible. I was mainly looking for things that were not released in the proper time-frame
Some of the RPG of the Year nominations also look like they were nominated in 2012. That struck me as odd. Did they become re-eligible due to supplements being released or something?

Well 13th Age was one of those items that I would have said shouldn't have been nominated last year. It was only released in 2013, in the summer to be precise.

I'm not sure what the dates were for Monsterhearts or Marvel Heroic but I think they were released fairly early in 2012 - first quarter maybe.

Aldie wrote:
These 2013 Golden Geeks will be the last to have an extended nomination eligibility window. This is to be fair to the games released after the 2012 nominations opened in September of 2012. Any games released in late 2012 and all of 2013 are eligible for the Best Games of 2013 Golden Geeks.

So maybe Monsterhearts and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying ought to be bumped, but we are where we are.

Looking forwards I think that there ought to be a policy about various pre-release KS (and other crowd-funded) games. I think that the game ought to have been available in its final form in the year the award is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uzi125 wrote:
PNP is also published in my opinion. But is there no Files for Print, this is no Print and Play Game for me.
Yeah, that was my reasoning. If the game is doubly published as a PnP version, and as a physical version, I don't see a problem with it being in the PnP category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheesh, I've played almost none of these.

Not that anyone needs to conform to my behavior but considering how long it take for some games to reach print and actually be explored by a significant number of people...

it might be wise to be voting on the best games of 2012 in the year 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Maruschak wrote:
wavemotion wrote:
This is a re-org year where the nominations shifted from fall to January. Starting next year, the strict eligibility of any product is being released the year before (for RPGs, this means the core rules published the year before... for supplements it means the primary (i.e. English version) of the book must be published the year before and for podcasts it means that a new episode dropped the year before).

But as this is a transitional year, we didn't want to screw any games that came out in 2012. Aldie put a note in the nominations that "games released later in 2012" were eligible. For RPGs, I didn't want to screw any games that came out from about Gencon onwards (as they had so little play-time before the nominations in fall of 2012) so we included them.

Is it perfect? No. But it's workable and we have a better 1-Jan to 31-Dec policy going forward.

Andy wrote:
Looking forwards I think that there ought to be a policy about various pre-release KS (and other crowd-funded) games. I think that the game ought to have been available in its final form in the year the award is for.
This seems reasonable - though it's really hard to police on nominations since kickstart versions and quick-start rules will show up in the database (and we would allow anything with a 2013 date to be eligible next year). We would have to enforce a clean-up on the back end which sucks (because people would have, essentially, thrown their votes away). It's Aldie's show (I'm just here to take abuse for the RPG side of things!), but for RPGs, I'm inclined to allow anything with a 20XX date to be eligible in 20XX+1 and let the Geeks decide who gets the award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the RPG Nominees have been asking if we have an image to promote being nominated.

(note: this image was created from the stock Golden Geek image and one of our users added the word NOMINEE - it will do until Aldie has an official one crafted!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Uzi125 wrote:

Once again, like last year, we have the problem where PnPs that have had a commercial release have been nominated. If games have had a commercial release then they shouldn't be able to be nominated for a PnP award (IMO).

The winner of last years PnP award, D-Day Dice, was voted for after Valley games (or whatever they are called now) skewed the voting in their favour by using the Kickstater backers mailing list to ask for votes. This, I believe, is unfair on real PnPs. Real PnP games do not have access to hundreds (possibly thousands) of contacts in order to compete with commercially published games.

Another one this year is Coin Age. Here we have TMG using Kickstarter to urge the 9000+ backers to vote it in for nomination:

Coin Age - Kickstarter Update 14 wrote:
Hey everybody, Michael here. I just wanted to let you know really quick that we are moving quickly through the pre-press process on Coin Age and we are excited to be getting the production on this wonderful game started...

I have a favor to ask...

Coin Age is eligible to be the Golden Geek best print and play game of 2013. Nominations are currently open and can be found on BGG here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekawards/boardgame

Please head over there and vote for Coin Age. Nominations close on the 31st of January...
Now that it has been nominated, I expect there to be a Coin Age update shortly asking for that favour to extend to the actual voting for it as best PnP. This is just not fair on real PnPs, such as Maquis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |