Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
102 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Geekdo» Forums » News

Subject: 2013 Golden Geek Awards - Nominees Announced - Voting Closed - Winners Coming Soon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Golden_Geek_Awards [+] [View All]
Dan Maruschak
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2013 Golden Geek Awards - Nominees Announced - Voting Now Open!
wavemotion wrote:
But as this is a transitional year, we didn't want to screw any games that came out in 2012. Aldie put a note in the nominations that "games released later in 2012" were eligible. For RPGs, I didn't want to screw any games that came out from about Gencon onwards (as they had so little play-time before the nominations in fall of 2012) so we included them.
So instead you chose to "screw" games that actually came out in 2013 by letting them get bumped off the list by popular games that already had a fair crack at the awards? I understand it's not trivial to track down the release dates of some of these games (especially with things like crowdfunding blurring the lines of what a release date is) but I think the fair approach would have been to follow the rules of eligibility dates, not make arbitrary judgement calls based on how much "play" games have had so that early- and mid-2012 games end up on the list. I assume things are locked in now that the announcement has been made, but games that should have been ineligible being in contention really hurts the credibility of the awards in my eyes. That's disappointing to me since the RPG awards for previous years have seemed really solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Maruschak wrote:
So instead you chose to "screw" games that actually came out in 2013 by letting them get bumped off the list by popular games that already had a fair crack at the awards?
In all previous years, we allow games to be nominated for the current year and for the year before. Having now moved to January, for this voting cycle there was a statement that added games from later 2012 and I (yes, admittedly, arbitrarily) drew the line at roughly GenCon. The nominations are driven from dates in the Geek Database - so anything from 2012 and 2013 was eligible (this changes with January 2015). Marvel Heroic was too early - it should have been tossed (one of the big expansions Annihilation Premium Event Book was marked as a core rules erroneously and my filtering was not thorough enough to catch it). Ultimately, I didn't feel comfortable throwing out votes which were cast in good faith... Marvel Heroic got enough nomination votes ... so be it.

I'll take the blame for allowing some early 2012 games in. It was an imperfect system of eligibility in the past that we are trying to rectify going forward. This will be the last year that games from a previous year would be eligible. I still feel that we've nominated an amazing group of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, why is Best Podcast only a category for RPGs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
it might be wise to be voting on the best games of 2012 in the year 2014.

Paradoxically, the longer you wait to hand out awards (until a certain point), the more worthy the awards are- but the less seriously they're taken. People want instant decisions. Publishers want to sell their new stuff now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting that the list for Video Game of the Year is almost identical to the VG: Best Visuals/Artwork category. Does that mean that nearly every amazing VG also happens to look great, or is looking great a requirement to be considered an amazing VG?

Don't get me wrong. I've played many of the games on the list and agree that they are excellent. But there are a lot of great games listed in other categories that *could* be contenders for Game of the Year, depending on the weight of presentation in the calculation. I wonder if we might be wearing some eye-candy blinders.

So as a curiosity: How important to you (yes you, the voter) are the visuals of a VG when considering its overall greatness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Dan Maruschak wrote:
So instead you chose to "screw" games that actually came out in 2013 by letting them get bumped off the list by popular games that already had a fair crack at the awards?
In all previous years, we allow games to be nominated for the current year and for the year before. Having now moved to January, for this voting cycle there was a statement that added games from later 2012 and I (yes, admittedly, arbitrarily) drew the line at roughly GenCon. The nominations are driven from dates in the Geek Database - so anything from 2012 and 2013 was eligible (this changes with January 2015). Marvel Heroic was too early - it should have been tossed (one of the big expansions Annihilation Premium Event Book was marked as a core rules erroneously and my filtering was not thorough enough to catch it). Ultimately, I didn't feel comfortable throwing out votes which were cast in good faith... Marvel Heroic got enough nomination votes ... so be it.

I'll take the blame for allowing some early 2012 games in. It was an imperfect system of eligibility in the past that we are trying to rectify going forward. This will be the last year that games from a previous year would be eligible. I still feel that we've nominated an amazing group of games.
It sounds like this year's nominees are going to be messy, but next year's will, because it's a clean slate, be nice and straightforward. So that's cool. It's unfortunate that things couldn't be ideal, but I think this is a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daleks stole my lunch box
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
Press 'X' to feel emotions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion for next year: have a separate "best electronic adaptation of a boardgame". It should be easy to implement now that the db has a specific field for it. As it is boardgame ports crowd the mobile/handheld category, it's a bit sad. I don't play mobile games much but I'm sure there are more than four videogames worthy of an award that were released last year and a half (especially if you take into account that the category includes handhelds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreybetween wrote:
So as a curiosity: How important to you (yes you, the voter) are the visuals of a VG when considering its overall greatness?

I feel like a lot of people lie to themselves when they say graphics aren't that important. The empirical evidence suggests otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatpoet wrote:
thegreybetween wrote:

I feel like a lot of people lie to themselves when they say graphics aren't that important. The empirical evidence suggests otherwise.
Small difference in wording from what you said and what he said: visuals vs graphics.

I would say that a game's visual presence is very important to me. But I don't care how detailed the graphics are, as long as they work for the specific game. I've played stick figure games that were awesome, and I've played games with very high end realistic 3D that I thought sucked a lot.

While the two words can be used to mean the same thing, they often aren't, so I would say that visuals matter, and graphics don't, to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bakke
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Star Trek: Attack Wing in any category? :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that none of the Artipia games like Archon or Shadow over the Empire made it into the artwork category.

I don't really like that not voting for a game cause you don't know it, rates it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Also, I really struggled to see the innovation in the 'Innovative' category.
Innovation was ineligible because it was published in 2010
But seriously I saw new innovative elements in 7 from 15 games in the category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Rishi wrote:
I'm also curious why there's no best board gaming podcast category.

also curious why there's a bunch of gencon 2012 releases (and even earlier) listed as nominations, but you know. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josephine Lancaster
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Aldie wrote:
Uzi125 wrote:
Why there are Print and Play games on the list who are't Print and Play any more? (see Eight-Minute Empire)

Perhaps the users that nominated the game didn't realize it was published.
Once again, like last year, we have the problem where PnPs that have had a commercial release have been nominated. If games have had a commercial release then they shouldn't be able to be nominated for a PnP award (IMO).

The winner of last years PnP award, D-Day Dice, was voted for after Valley games (or whatever they are called now) skewed the voting in their favour by using the Kickstater backers mailing list to ask for votes. This, I believe, is unfair on real PnPs. Real PnP games do not have access to hundreds (possibly thousands) of contacts in order to compete with commercially published games.

Another one this year is Coin Age. Here we have TMG using Kickstarter to urge the 9000+ backers to vote it in for nomination:

Coin Age - Kickstarter Update 14 wrote:
Hey everybody, Michael here. I just wanted to let you know really quick that we are moving quickly through the pre-press process on Coin Age and we are excited to be getting the production on this wonderful game started...

I have a favor to ask...

Coin Age is eligible to be the Golden Geek best print and play game of 2013. Nominations are currently open and can be found on BGG here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekawards/boardgame

Please head over there and vote for Coin Age. Nominations close on the 31st of January...
Now that it has been nominated, I expect there to be a Coin Age update shortly asking for that favour to extend to the actual voting for it as best PnP. This is just not fair on real PnPs, such as Maquis.

There's also Serpent's Tongue in the PnP-category, which I wasn't even aware had been available in PnP-format. But hey, they offered some nice incentives for nominations, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I agree that it doesn't seem fair for the indie PnPs to go up against published games when these small games can't offer the same amount of "giving back to the supporters".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose in Serpents Tongue's defence, at least they didn't ask supporters to directly vote for the PnP, just every other category!

A lot of these PnP games are coming out when the Kickstarter campaign is on so people can try before they buy. It makes a mockery of the award that the game can then be eligible for a Golden Geek in the PnP category. And like Serpents Tongue has said, they will be asking for actual votes soon - offering backers an incentive to vote is just plain wrong when we're talking about the PnP category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
I'm surprised that none of the Artipia games like Archon or Shadow over the Empire made it into the artwork category.

Archon is too busy for me. The art gets in the way and doesn't support the game in the way I prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty shocking that there were no nominations for Nothing Personal or Bioshock Infinite: Siege of Columbia. Not just two of the best games I played in 2013, but also two of the best produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there so many 2012 releases included? Did I miss something or are the Golden Geek Awards going bi-yearly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris gabrielson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
The Print n Play nomination for Serpent's Tongue took me by surprise actually! Not to discount the amazing work of our volunteer programmer (& language consultant, & card designer & rules consultant & web developer etc...) Jeremy 'Flare' Scherer who put the entire game into a sortable and printable tool we call the Flare Card Nexus; it was always intended as a playtesting tool and game sample option. (You can check it out here I find it pretty spectacular! http://www.becomemagi.com/arcanum/card/ )

Jeremy included a printer friendly, low graphics version option as well... but with 550 unique cards in our 1st edition set and the retail version consisting of a bevy of unusual components, I just don't think its really appropriate to consider Serpents Tongue as embodying the true spirit of a print n play game. (The at-home printing cost would be more than just buying the game!)

I think there are better options in the PnP category than Serpent's Tongue.

I think the bulk of S.T. print n players were just doing the walkthrough's 18 cards to try out some mechanics ( http://www.becomemagi.com/walkthrough-draft/ ) which is just a small sample, not enough to really play.

Anyway, good luck to the other print n play nominees - we will NOT be asking for votes in this category. (Just the other 5 ; )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmb
Sir_Alex wrote:
Pretty shocking that there were no nominations for Nothing Personal or Bioshock Infinite: Siege of Columbia. Not just two of the best games I played in 2013, but also two of the best produced.
Neither are getting a lot of buzz so I'm not all that shocked myself. Nothing Personal is very good though and I did nominate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
schwarzott wrote:
Rishi wrote:
I'm also curious why there's no best board gaming podcast category.

Thirded - there are some great podcasts out there. It would be nice to let BGGers recognize their favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Perkins
msg tools
Wasn't Mass Effect 3 released in 2012? Why is it eligible?

Also, Gone Home snubbed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaveatLudor wrote:
Also, Gone Home snubbed?

It's nominated in two categories (best indie game and most innovative game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Once again, like last year, we have the problem where PnPs that have had a commercial release have been nominated. If games have had a commercial release then they shouldn't be able to be nominated for a PnP award (IMO).

The winner of last years PnP award, D-Day Dice, was voted for after Valley games (or whatever they are called now) skewed the voting in their favour by using the Kickstater backers mailing list to ask for votes. This, I believe, is unfair on real PnPs. Real PnP games do not have access to hundreds (possibly thousands) of contacts in order to compete with commercially published games.

Another one this year is Coin Age. Here we have TMG using Kickstarter to urge the 9000+ backers to vote it in for nomination:

Hey everybody, Michael here. I just wanted to let you know really quick that we are moving quickly through the pre-press process on Coin Age and we are excited to be getting the production on this wonderful game started...

I have a favor to ask...

Coin Age is eligible to be the Golden Geek best print and play game of 2013. Nominations are currently open and can be found on BGG here:

Please head over there and vote for Coin Age. Nominations close on the 31st of January...
Now that it has been nominated, I expect there to be a Coin Age update shortly asking for that favor to extend to the actual voting for it as best PnP. This is just not fair on real PnPs, such as Maquis.

This this this this this this this. I was excited to see what was nominated, hoping to discover some hidden gems, only to find that once again most of the nominated games were commercially published or professionally kickstarted games that HAPPENED to have some sort of Print 'n Play option, EVEN WHEN IT WASN'T THE FULL GAME.

There is a RICH Print 'n Play community on BGG, chock full of great games that no one has ever heard of (sadly, I completely missed the announcement and didn't get to nominate my favorites). The Golden Geeks are a GREAT opportunity to shine some light on those games. I think Coin Age is wonderful, and I applaud Adam's success with it (and it DID start out as a Print 'n Play, to be fair) but really, at this point, most everyone has heard of it. Coin Age doesn't need another laurel in it's cap. However, there's no way that a great game like Maquis can even begin to compete with the 9000 BACKERS OF COIN AGE. The game raised $65,000 for crying out loud! I realize the definition of Print 'n Play is debatable, but can you really consider that a Print 'n Play game anymore?

I know that nominations come from the community, but please, Please, PLEASE disqualify games that have either been published or have been successfully Kickstarted next year. PLEASE. We asked for this last year, but were obviously not heard. It would be nice for the Print 'n Play Golden Geek to actually go to a genuine Print 'n Play game, and not to the Kickstarter game with the most supporters that happened to provide a PnP option to backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Morbihan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derrickec wrote:
JoffW wrote:

I have a favor to ask...

Now that it has been nominated, I expect there to be a Coin Age update shortly asking for that favor to extend to the actual voting for it as best PnP. This is just not fair on real PnPs, such as Maquis.

This this this this this this this. I was excited to see what was nominated, hoping to discover some hidden gems, only to find that once again most of the nominated games were commercially published or professionally kickstarted games that HAPPENED to have some sort of Print 'n Play option, EVEN WHEN IT WASN'T THE FULL GAME.

There is a RICH Print 'n Play community on BGG, chock full of great games that no one has ever heard of (sadly, I completely missed the announcement and didn't get to nominate my favorites). The Golden Geeks are a GREAT opportunity to shine some light on those games. I think Coin Age is wonderful, and I applaud Adam's success with it (and it DID start out as a Print 'n Play, to be fair) but really, at this point, most everyone has heard of it. Coin Age doesn't need another laurel in it's cap. However, there's no way that a great game like Maquis can even begin to compete with the 9000 BACKERS OF COIN AGE. The game raised $65,000 for crying out loud! I realize the definition of Print 'n Play is debatable, but can you really consider that a Print 'n Play game anymore?

I know that nominations come from the community, but please, Please, PLEASE disqualify games that have either been published or have been successfully Kickstarted next year. PLEASE. We asked for this last year, but were obviously not heard. It would be nice for the Print 'n Play Golden Geek to actually go to a genuine Print 'n Play game, and not to the Kickstarter game with the most supporters that happened to provide a PnP option to backers.

Wot he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |