Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
369 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

Stunning Eldritch Tales» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: 2014 Newbie PbF Initiative - Devourers in the Mist IC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the IC thread for Beginner Game: Trail of Cthulhu - Devourers in the Mist.

Our cast of characters:



Helpful Links
Quick Link to OOC Thread
Quick Link to Wiki Character Thread

New Users to PbF Games
Quick Link PbF FAQ and References

Condensed Rules to ToC from Pelgrane Press Website
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The trip across the pacific was to be a simple one aboard the Empress of Caledonia, it would take just a few nights onboard the luxury liner before arriving in Singapore. That was until you awoke in the middle of the night by being thrown from your bed. The sound of confusion and the waves hitting the side of the ship was deafening, but then an eerie pause, as the ship heaved to port and capsized. The next sounds were all to clear - water rushing through the hull and into your cabin. Swimming as hard as you could, you reached the surface, only to be surrounded by 20 meters high waves, swimming for freedom was all but impossible. The darkness of night became permanent as your eyes closed, slipping off into oblivion and realizing your next port of call would be Davy Jones’ locker.

You slip back into the mortal world; only to feel your eyes burning when you try to open them, unable to focus, all you know is that you are not dead or surrounded by the ocean. Water laps onto your body, and then subsides. You remain confused and alone, drifting in and out of consciousness…

Everyone please make a Health Test to get started to see who wakes up after a rough night in the ocean...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Difficulty for this Test is 4


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irina struggles to remain conscious.

health test: 1d6 = (4) = 4
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 515856. Polgara
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • health test:
  • Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:02 am
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie Allred

Health Test 1d6 = (3) = 3

Charlie coughs up some seawater, but doesn't make it to a level of consciousness to wake up. While the waves still pours over his cold body, his bad luck has stricken again.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 515861. fastfox
  • 1d6 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Health Test
  • Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:31 am
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix Strode

Health Test 1d6 = (4) = 4

Felix wakes up to a splitting headache, coughing sand and sea water.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 516172. Pawndawan
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Health Test
  • Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:57 pm
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irina slowly gets up to a sitting position, trying to make sure she is still in one piece. She looks around and sees Felix has woken up as well. She starts to make her way over to him. "Are you allright?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that wake up...

As you wake up and your vision, clears. The smell of the sea and salt brings your rapidly into reality. Your cloths are tattered, and torn and drenched in salt water. As your eyes focus across the beach, you can make out several other bodies strewn out across the beach. Mostly laying face first into the sand, it appears that at least one other person is slowly awakening and moving. The others remain motionless.

With everyone clothes tattered, and dripping with seawater, it is hard to tell if these are people from the ship. They would have to be right?

The beach itself streches for over 2 km, it is quiet and calm at the moment, nothing like last night. Was it last night? Hard to tell at this point how long you were floating, or drifting to get to this island.

Inland on the beach starts a row of thick vegetation and trees rises up out of the middle of the island.

For those that have awoken - Felix and Irina, please make a Athletics or Fleeing check (your choice) to determine how much damage you have received from your time in the sea.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Difficulty Number is 4.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fleeing check, using 1 point: 1d6 = (5) = 5 So I think my fleeing is now down to 7?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 517134. Polgara
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Fleeing check, using 1 point:
  • Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:36 pm
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix Strode

Felix first gets on all fours, just in case he starts to feel dizzy. "Nope, just the throbbing pain in the back of the head." he thinks.

Finally Felix gets up and sees a person approaching him. "At least one other that isn't in grave danger." he thinks. "Yeah, we should check with the others." Felix says and walks straight past her and couple of motienless bodies towards the person who is moaning and moving slightly.

Athletics Test 1d6 = (4) = 4
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 517140. Pawndawan
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Athletics Test
  • Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:47 pm
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Good idea." Irina goes with Felix to check on the moaning person.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Polgara wrote:
Polgara previously rolled 1d6 = (5) = 5 (Fleeing check, using 1 point So I think my fleeing is now down to 7?

Yeap, that is correct.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Felix and Irina walk to the body that is moaning, but motionless.

Much like everyone else, his clothes are all but destroyed and drenched in seawater. The oil stains and heavy denim on of what is left of his cloths make that pretty clear that he was not a passenger on the luxury liner. Perhaps either a crew member or even from another wrecked ship.

He appears to be alive but still unconscious.

You can try and revive this person if you want with First Aid check.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Difficulty - 2


A note on skills, in the Gumshoe system if you do not have a skill listed then you cannot perform the act. In this case, only Felix can attempt a first aid check.

This was not clear in the original rulebook of ToC but in the Condensed Rules to ToC from Pelgrane Press Website it states it much more clearly.

I have to say I am not a huge fan of this, and we may shift gears later depending on how things go but I want to be true to the rules as written first.

I have seen some GM rule that if you do not have any training in a skill, then there is a -1 Modifier to the Check.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix Strode

Felix kneels down to check the moaning man. Felix turns the man on his side and checks that his respiratory ducts are open. He then proceeds to shake the man firmly but gently. "Hey, time to wake up!"

First Aid check 1d6 = (1) = 1
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 518135. Pawndawan
  • 1d6 =
  • (1) =
  • 1
  • First Aid check
  • Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:13 pm
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix and Irina do not have much success in waking the individual, he is alive but still unconscious. The tide appears to be coming and as the waves lap up closer and closer to the beach.

The heat and the sun of the day bear down on the beach, while it has not been long that they have been awake, certainly it has been a while since they have had some food or water. While bearable at the moment, the pains of hunger and water will certainly grow over time.

While it was not successful to wake Charlie, certainly they have jolted some hope back int he Hobo, hoping his luck will change - Charlie Can roll another Health Check

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Difficuly Number - 3

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie Allred

Health Test 1d6 = (6) = 6

Coughing out a burst of seawater, Charlie comes back to life. "Murder! What'a rough night! An' now stranded." he shakes his head as he stumbles to get up. "I'd kill for'a snipe ..." he murmurs, then he realizes that he's not alone. "Oh, erm, g'day! You're from the 'Mpress too I guess?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 519076. fastfox
  • 1d6 =
  • (6) =
  • 6
  • Health Test
  • Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 am
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes, we are. Can you move? I think we need to start looking for food, water, and shelter." Irina is starting to feel the time since her last meal. "Maybe something useful floated up from the ship. We can check if there are any other survivors while we're searching."

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix Strode

Felix nods to the rough man. "He seems like resilient guy, might come handy if we have to enter that forest." he thinks. "Yeah, salvaging supplies should be our top priority. I'd like to check for other survivors first. You two go ahead and scour the wreckage."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie Allred

Charlie nods too, "Sounds like a plan. My name's Charlie by t'e way." he adds. Then he starts looking around for salvageable supplies.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Irina Krilov." she replies as she joins Charlie to look for supplies.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felix Strode

"I'm Felix, let's get going." Felix says before turning his attention to the bodies lying on the beach.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawndawan wrote:
Felix Strode

"I'm Felix, let's get going." Felix says before turning his attention to the bodies lying on the beach.

As Felix gathers his thoughts and begins to walk to beach, his life as a cop and seeing a number of homicide crime scenes makes it easy for him to see that the few remaining bodies on the beach would be best serve by being washed out to sea into a peaceful burial.

However, one body appears to have some very weak signs of life and teetering on the verge of death. Shallow breaths and a weak pulse come from the man, whose torn cloths suggest that he could have been a passenger on the Emperess.

Polgara wrote:
"Irina Krilov." she replies as she joins Charlie to look for supplies.

fastfox wrote:
Charlie Allred

Charlie nods too, "Sounds like a plan. My name's Charlie by t'e way." he adds. Then he starts looking around for salvageable supplies.

Walking the other direction down the beach, the two search for anything salvageable. It is clear to Charlie that the force of destruction was strong with the sea, as most of anything man made has been completely destroyed by the ocean. Physics Investigative Ability Bits and pieces of old wood, and tattered remains of cloths are all that litter the beach. It seems highly unlikely that anything will be found on the beach.

Anyone with a Prepardness rating can suggest some gear that they could reasonable have with them after the shipwreck.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlie Allred

Looking around some minutes, Charlie sighs. "T'is looks real bad Irina. Strong forces have destroyed t'e 'Mpress, I wouldn't bet to find anythin' of worth to us at t'is beach."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I think you're right, Charlie, and I don't see any survivors around here either." Irina says, "We could go up closer to those plants, maybe there's something useful in there."

Irina takes a few steps towards the vegetation, stops and looks back at Charlie, "Coming?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Gawronsky
Germany
Ochsenfurt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leory Currie
Health test 1d6 = (5) = 5
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 520765. Freikonier
  • 1d6 =
  • (5) =
  • 5
  • Health test
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:36 pm
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Freikonier wrote:
Freikonier previously rolled 1d6 = (5) = 5 (Health test)

Coughing and sputtering, the water exits your lungs and you feel something that you never thought you would feel again - air and oxygen.

As you eyes open, it takes a minute for them to adjust and recognise a middle aged man standing over you and he appears to be checking your pulse to see if you are alive.

His face is weathered, and clothes are drenched much like yours, and the moment your eyes open you see a bit of relief in his eyes.

Charlie and Leroy please Make a Fleeing or Athletics check (your choice) to see what, if any, injuries were received during the shipwreck and wash up on shore.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Target Number is 4

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] |