Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Beyond the Rim» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Eddie's Beyond the Rim (tables 1 & 2) organization thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We have two tables, and the character creation process is VERY heavily dependent on character story/background. So, rather than force anyone into a particular role, I figured it would be best to let people state at least what they are interested in playing as a character, and then we can sort out which characters will make an interesting team for each table. This hopefully avoids someone being stuck as "cleric" when they really wanted to be something else.

You don't need to generate your whole character here, I'll make separate table Out-Of-Character (OOC) threads for that, but for the moment, this seems useful.

Thanks for playing!

So far....

Player Concept? Character Name Career/Specialization
Dumpy Nose X Satlimar Tem force exile
bassoon201 standby ?????? ?????
techsam2k8 in work ?????? ?????
bulldog93 X Zander Kamlocht Bounty Hunter
Akhatosh X Ishmael Cindar Bounty Hunter
jhhoffmann X Jak Pilot
soylentRed X
rdonoso X Neto Vrum Smuggler

GeekMails sent to:
Dorianvd
dirtybacon


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Introducing, Dieter Lumper, exiled dilettante...

Lumper was not destined for grand feats. Being the fourth son of a Baron, he knew from day one that his life would be one of comfort, but always overshadowed by his elder brothers and sisters.

To compound to his problems, his family is in the rather prosperous brokerage and shipping industry in the planet Aramis. As part of the family’s desire to increase ties in the Empire, Lumper was chosen to enrol in the Imperial navy.

His life of dulling enjoyment ended the day he joined the Navy. Not having any relevant skills of use, he got a placement as general crew in a diplomatic ship. This actually played to his best skills, as his superior manners were quickly noted and put to good use in diplomatic missions. Still bored, but under family pressure, he took a second term with the Navy, showing amazing and previously unknown skills, in performing advanced recon missions as part of diplomatic missions. So much in fact that he got commissioned. Despite this, his family concluded that one of his much more promising elder brothers was more suited for the Navy role, and brought Dieter home, to work in the family business.

This opened an entirely new chapter in his life, as working as an agent for his father’s corporation brought him into contact with a shady world he did not known, and for which he was not prepared. After being approached by a notorious criminal, refusing to comply with its desires, Dieter was left for dead by them. But that was not to be his end. Rescued by miracle, but with his body scarred for life, his family not trusting entirely that Dieter was not on the pay book of criminals, forced him to go underground and depart to make a living on his own away from the family and their businesses...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
Introducing, Dieter Lumper, exiled dilettante...

Lumper was not destined for grand feats. Being the fourth son of a Baron, he knew from day one that his life would be one of comfort, but always overshadowed by his elder brothers and sisters.

To compound to his problems, his family is in the rather prosperous brokerage and shipping industry in the planet Aramis. As part of the family’s desire to increase ties in the Empire, Lumper was chosen to enrol in the Imperial navy.

His life of dulling enjoyment ended the day he joined the Navy. Not having any relevant skills of use, he got a placement as general crew in a diplomatic ship. This actually played to his best skills, as his superior manners were quickly noted and put to good use in diplomatic missions. Still bored, but under family pressure, he took a second term with the Navy, showing amazing and previously unknown skills, in performing advanced recon missions as part of diplomatic missions. So much in fact that he got commissioned. Despite this, his family concluded that one of his much more promising elder brothers was more suited for the Navy role, and brought Dieter home, to work in the family business.

This opened an entirely new chapter in his life, as working as an agent for his father’s corporation brought him into contact with a shady world he did not known, and for which he was not prepared. After being approached by a notorious criminal, refusing to comply with its desires, Dieter was left for dead by them. But that was not to be his end. Rescued by miracle, but with his body scarred for life, his family not trusting entirely that Dieter was not on the pay book of criminals, forced him to go underground and depart to make a living on his own away from the family and their businesses...

Poor Lump. What an unfortunate name...and hardly a surprise he got beat up--after a four year-hitch in the Imperial Navy, I'm sure he was deemed a "problem" immediately by local gangs.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumpy Nose wrote:
I don't have a name worked out yet, or even a species. What I've got is a concept:

My character would be a former youngling who survived the fall of the Jedi Temple by hiding in an air duct and making his way out of the temple (he'd have been perhaps 4 years old at the time, should he end up being human). Found and eventually adopted by a pair of doctors who worked for the Star Wars version of "Doctors Without Borders", he spent the next twenty years travelling though the galaxy, learning frontier medicine and treating all manner of beings. After his adoptive parents died, he struck out on his own.

However, he never completely lost touch with his early-life connection with the Force. While he would generally hide his abilities, he would occasionally use the Force to "assist" him in treating another - and it would be this use of the Force that would set up his Obligation for gameplay purposes.

My character is basically a closeted Force-addict. He enjoys using the Force, but because he's untrained, he only skills are either self-taught (like his healing ability) or were shown to him by his "pusher". This being would be some Dark-Side Force user appropriate to your campaign, who would teach my character new ways to use the Force (and usually not Light-Side techniques) in exchange for "favors" and the like.

TL;DR: A Force-addicted doctor with a Dark Side pusher.

Interesting! The only thing that might need adjusting is the dark-side "pusher". The Sith do not share power easily, and Edge of the Empire is at the height of people not knowing (or faking not knowing) about the force. What about if the character found an old journal during her/his travels--one that hints at methods of using the force that just happen to not be quite so altruistic?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kim
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Hey, this is the noob at RPGs. I was wondering if there were any particular guidelines in trying to have as a character. I was under the impression there are set species/races. A word I see often when I was browsing the forums was obligation. Should I already come up with some con for my character straight off the bat?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
techsam2k8 wrote:
Hey, this is the noob at RPGs. I was wondering if there were any particular guidelines in trying to have as a character. I was under the impression there are set species/races. A word I see often when I was browsing the forums was obligation. Should I already come up with some con for my character straight off the bat?

Probably the best thing to do is to get the core rule book and check out character creation. It has a ton of detail on character motivation, allowed species, etc. If not that, you can also look over all of the sample characters (available on the FFG website as downloads), or the intro box set.

But yes, the first thing to do is decide on a character concept, and mold it like clay till it gets where you want it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
old timer of rpgs (I'm looking at you rolemaster and merp)

Tell me what you need for a character and I'll create it. I'm game to play whatever role the group needs, so I'll sit back and let others chime in and I'll pick up whatever is left over...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithorian bounty hunter. Will work with good-aligned people to further his needs. He's not necessarily evil, but just tryin to make a living.

Or do you only want good characters?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Ithorian bounty hunter. Will work with good-aligned people to further his needs. He's not necessarily evil, but just tryin to make a living.

Or do you only want good characters?

No psychopaths or anything, but no, there's no requirement to be very good. Just good enough to not dissolve the group.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Introducing: Ishmael Cindar

Ishmael, Ish for short, was born on Corellia, nearer to galactic core than where he currently resides. Didn't seem born for greatness, nor did he really want to. All he wanted to do once he left his technical studies was to do honest work, to start a workshop and make enough money to live comfortably. He and a friend from school pooled their resources, bought a small shop near the space port and got to work. Together, they had the skills, though his companion was far better. Ishmael was mostly the assistant, doing what he was told, and that was fine with him. He knew he was better at the business side anyway.

After a few years, they'd made a name for themselves. They were hired by quite a few companies around the spaceport, things seemed to be looking up. They made investment for larger workspace, more and more complex tools. One of the companies even put them on retainer, making them main repair crew for a big shuttle group. They sunk a lot of investments and time in...But the buyer had gotten cold feet...

Instead of defaulting on the contract and having to pay damages, he took the company in a strangehold. Not paying, no matter how many times they urged him, keeping on airs...Eventually, their own creditors came knocking, their shop closed. Ishmael's co-worker couldn't handle it. He threw himself from the walkway...

Their debtor figured that would be the end of it, but not to Ishmael. It only made him more focused on getting even. Ish took the man to court, sued him for all he had. But when the verdict came in, the man was nowhere to be found. He'd sold his assets and left the planet, a step ahead of law enforcement. But he wasn't going to get away. Ishmael sold what little he had left, built from scrap what he couldn't afford. The court named him officer of the court, given the right to arrest the debtor and bring him to court, to seize his assets as compensation for damages...

That was the start, the first one. The first one he tracked down. Today, some might call him a glorified repo-man, but he knows that for every sob story they tell him, for every debt they say that is outrageous, there's a wealth of people behind that debt, people who need that money too. He's always taken his bounties in alive...And he's proud of that. Still, money's getting tight...Perhaps he should look into another, more dangerous bounty...Bills need to be paid, after all...


Sooo, I'm making a bounty hunter with a technical edge. I've got the book, so I figured I'd go gadgeteer. He likes it clean and up front...But he's running out of money and he's learned long ago that running out of money isn't an option...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have statted up this character already as a Smuggler/Pilot.

Jak, Twi'lek pilot

Jak always felt the need to live up to his parent's expectations. However, he was never close to his father, because his father was off-world for months at a time as an interstellar pilot. When Jak was a teen, his father took a job he never returned from. Looking back at his childhood, Jak has come to suspect that his father wasn't always piloting for legitimate businesses.

Jak developed into a fairly good planetary pilot himself, but fell in with a gang of petty thieves, piloting the getaway vehicle for smash-and-grab jobs. Once while Jak was waiting in the speeder for his co-conspirators to grab the goods, he saw them get caught in the act. In a moment of cowardice, he simply took off.

With the law and the rest of his gang after him, he left Ryloth and managed to make his way as pilot both on-planet and in space.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joa, sounds like your character would make a great politico!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I will reply etc tomorrow. Long day at work.

Excited to play!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The name of my bounty hunter is Zander Kamlocht.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions - I have the starter kit that came out a while back - just to check it out - but:

Will it be helpful for me to own the basic game manual? That a requirement to play? (No problem picking it up.) Or is there an online resource (akin to Pathfinder) that will help with character and skill questions?

As I think about the type of character I would like to play - (I'm a relative noob to table top RPGs like this - but enjoy it! So what I am saying is that I am open to advice! I also have plenty of PbF experience - so shouldn't have any issues with rolls etc...)

I like a character who is a bit more "roguelike," always looking for an opportunity to use something to his advantage in a situation and relying a little bit on "luck." My thoughts are - (name to be determined - My last character was Jack DeMuerte (old joke with some RL friends) - so I could use Jack - but hey - we already have a Jak. ) - but:

__________ would be a "trader" looking for a something new. Not necessarily in trouble himself, having distanced himself from his last crew at the exact perfect time, they have been detained indefinitely upon the discovery of some "relics" or materials of interest to the Empire... _______ isn't really sure what was in the boxes on the last delivery - but wherever they came from and whatever was in them was enough to have the entire ship and other crew "confiscated."

___________ tends to be more of a brawler in combat, but has a flair for technology, (I need to see items available here... but in the KOTOR RPG series - think smoke grenades, some body energy shielding,) and is often able to get out many dicey situations using words alone.

I'd be interested in some force elements - unknown to my character that that is what it is - but something "else" that helps him out of situations - an ability to convince people of his perspective.


Any thoughts or advice on my character?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
A few questions - I have the starter kit that came out a while back - just to check it out - but:

Will it be helpful for me to own the basic game manual? That a requirement to play? (No problem picking it up.) Or is there an online resource (akin to Pathfinder) that will help with character and skill questions?

Definitely helpful to get the basic manual. In fact, that's really all you need. If you want to expand your particular character more, they have "career books" coming out, but not very many yet. There is no online reference for the game, ala Paizo.

But definitely get the core book, it will aid your character building thoughts a LOT, especially looking at the talent trees associated with specializations--much like World of Warcraft, in EotE, two characters with the same career (e.g. pilot or bounty hunter) can have radically different abilities/style based on background, obligations, and specialization (and thus skills and talents).

SoylentRed wrote:


__________ would be a "trader" looking for a something new. Not necessarily in trouble himself, having distanced himself from his last crew at the exact perfect time, they have been detained indefinitely upon the discovery of some "relics" or materials of interest to the Empire... _______ isn't really sure what was in the boxes on the last delivery - but wherever they came from and whatever was in them was enough to have the entire ship and other crew "confiscated."

___________ tends to be more of a brawler in combat, but has a flair for technology, (I need to see items available here... but in the KOTOR RPG series - think smoke grenades, some body energy shielding,) and is often able to get out many dicey situations using words alone.

I'd be interested in some force elements - unknown to my character that that is what it is - but something "else" that helps him out of situations - an ability to convince people of his perspective.


Any thoughts or advice on my character?

Either the trader or the brawler would be great concepts, and fit well within the "fringes" mood of the game.

As for force elements--it's possible, but a) is rather expensive, character-build wise and b) it's very possible to be a great con artist without it (and is actually more effective that way game mechanic-wise). You are totally welcome to do it, but really take a look at the talent trees first.

Happily, even with just the core rule book, there's a LOT to pick from, building a character.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool - thanks!

What's the timeline for starting the game? I can pick up the manual - but it'll be a few days... don't want to hold up the game too much!

Trader or Brawler would be fun to play - I'll need to read up on them - and more than happy to avoid the force elements if there is a way to be a con artist without the force.


EDIT - there isn't an eBook version available for purchase is there? If I could get it on my iPad - I'd buy that up - but I don't see it on FFGs page...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
there isn't an eBook version available for purchase is there? If I could get it on my iPad - I'd buy that up - but I don't see it on FFGs page...

No, this seems to be available in print only. I think I heard somewhere that Lucasfilm isn't allowing electronic distribution.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Force

The GM has final say on this, but Edge of the Empire was written specifically with very little on the Force, Jedi, Sith, lightsabers, etc.

Next year they will publish Force and Destiny which should cover playing force-users in detail.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Cool - thanks!

What's the timeline for starting the game? I can pick up the manual - but it'll be a few days... don't want to hold up the game too much!

Trader or Brawler would be fun to play - I'll need to read up on them - and more than happy to avoid the force elements if there is a way to be a con artist without the force.


EDIT - there isn't an eBook version available for purchase is there? If I could get it on my iPad - I'd buy that up - but I don't see it on FFGs page...

Game timeline is flexible. Most likely the first six characters, unless wildly incompatible, will end up as table 1, and the rest will be table 2.

And no, there is no e-book for Star Wars, and likely won't be. Picking it up in a few days won't hold us up at all. There is a TON of info and cool stuff in the book--I'm really pleased with it, and wouldn't want it in e-form anyway. The artwork is AWESOME (to me, anyway).

And, yes, as to the Force...

Edge of the Empire is set between Episode IV and V--Death Star exploded, Rebels on the run, Empire still VERY firmly in control of the galaxy. There are very, very few Jedi left of any level, and only two Sith. There are many force-sensitive people out there, but almost none know more than bare-bones about what their ability even is/what to call it. Or, they know how to use it only in a single way, rather than in all aspects of what they do.

Force use will be a larger player in Age of Rebellion, as jhoff mentions, but it isn't really meant for Edge of the Empire style games.

Of course, when the book does come out, and assuming the group is still going, we can adapt.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Any thoughts or advice on my character?

Another class you could take a look at, if you want to play up his technical skills is perhaps the Mechanic. He gets brawl as a class skill, a lot of access to technical tricks and skullduggery. Perhaps not fully your concept, but could work.

And Outlaw-Tech as well, if you really want him to have his own super-pimped gear.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:

Edge of the Empire is set between Episode IV and V--Death Star exploded, Rebels on the run, Empire still VERY firmly in control of the galaxy.

Perfect - So where Star Wars Galaxies was - before everyone and their mom unlocked Jedi... and then they ruined the game... but that's a whole different story.

Cool - I will get the book ordered here pronto.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And by pronto - I mean now. I'll have it tomorrow. Thank you amazon prime. (Sorry to my wallet.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play "Neto Vrum", a Smuggler, probably human.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of going to the thief kind of smuggler.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |