Beyond the Rim» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Eddie's Beyond the Rim (tables 1 & 2) organization thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
I was thinking of going to the thief kind of smuggler.

Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my book today - I will look through the skill trees to look at what I would like to play.

I see there is one force exile right now - is your preference to have other classes primarily? I will read about them - just cause I'm curious - but might not bother pending your preference. I'd hate to really want to play it only to find out it wouldn't really fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the DM, but from a game perspective, the force is really, really rare in Edge of the empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Akhatosh wrote:
I'm not the DM, but from a game perspective, the force is really, really rare in Edge of the empire.

Totally aware - now that I got the setting of it all. The part that is actually attractive to me is that it seems that it might actually be a more difficult class to play - considering the setting.

We are also looking to be smuggler heavy - which is where I was looking at a possible character - and I am leaning my interest away from Technician - possibly. Might look at Gadgeteer tree more in Bounty Hunter. But wanted to just get a feeling for the thoughts on a force exile.

EDIT - but - the Trader Explorer is a good option as well - so it's not as though I need a force sensitive character - just want to know my options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumpy Nose wrote:
Since I'm the guy with the "Force-Exile" character, let me throw this into the mix: my intention was to play "doctor with some Force abilities" instead of "Force-user who knows some medicine" if that makes any difference.

That being said, what are the odds of having 2 Force sensitive characters in the group, given the timeframe of the setting?

3,720 to 1.

As I've read more on Explorer - I'm leaning toward Scout anyway. Looks like it could be fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumpy Nose wrote:
Since I'm the guy with the "Force-Exile" character, let me throw this into the mix: my intention was to play "doctor with some Force abilities" instead of "Force-user who knows some medicine" if that makes any difference.

I'd suggest taking the Politico 'Doctor' path then, making an ambition fitting your interest in the force and taking the Force Exile path as your first "Branching out". Just a suggestion...Unless you're human, you might be able to take it as your racial feat then, maybe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Got my book today - I will look through the skill trees to look at what I would like to play.

I see there is one force exile right now - is your preference to have other classes primarily? I will read about them - just cause I'm curious - but might not bother pending your preference. I'd hate to really want to play it only to find out it wouldn't really fit.

There's no way more than one force sensitive person would be near another--too much risk of exposure. In other words, no more than 1 per table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Akhatosh wrote:
Dumpy Nose wrote:

I'd suggest taking the Politico 'Doctor' path then, making an ambition fitting your interest in the force and taking the Force Exile path as your first "Branching out". Just a suggestion...Unless you're human, you might be able to take it as your racial feat then, maybe...

Yes, if you are going for a doctor who has some extra kick, definitely take the Doctor path, with the associated talent tree, and then buy in to Exile down the road. The straight force exile has very few "useful" talents initially, compared to the other specializations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

There's no way more than one force sensitive person would be near another--too much risk of exposure. In other words, no more than 1 per table.

Makes sense.

I'm likely going to be an Explorer looking at the Scout Tree. Spending much of my youth in Ord Mantell gave me some nice opportunities to hone my skills... Plenty of chances for travel, which brought opportunities to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the road, will be home tomorrow and look through my books at what I'm going to be. Can we pull classes/races from source books? (Like Corrilean book or hired guns book)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up for Explorer. Looks like I would enjoy that class. Scout is most likely my path. I will work on my name and background story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
I've been on the road, will be home tomorrow and look through my books at what I'm going to be. Can we pull classes/races from source books? (Like Corrilean book or hired guns book)

Absolutely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any information on the setting and what will be the theme etc of the campaign?

Planet we will all be starting at - etc?

Anything that can inform my back story and what brought me here - etc.

My name will be: Astarii "All-Star" Menaraev an Explorer: Scout (unless for some reason - campaign driven/advice suggestions - Fringer would be the one I would consider - based on the GM's advice.)

The nickname "All-Star" was given as the butt end of a joke earlier in my career - after punching in the wrong coordinates left us in an area of space - where we were less than welcome to be at the time. It just stuck and I decided to embrace it as my nickname rather than fight it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumpy Nose wrote:

That being said, what are the odds of having 2 Force sensitive characters in the group, given the timeframe of the setting?

3,720 to 1.

From my experience playing SW RPGs on the rebel era, the more accurate number for those odds are: 1 to 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see...theme-wise: lots of exploration and intrigue, a fair bit of combat.

The group will be starting on The Wheel, a huge space station generally regarded as neutral territory and left mostly alone by the Empire. Lots of activities that people want to avoid Imperial entanglements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the specialization deck add anything that isn't already in the book?
Or would you recommend it to enhance play? It's only a few bucks... Don't mind picking it up if it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Or would you recommend it to enhance play? It's only a few bucks... Don't mind picking it up if it's worth it.

If it's anything like the D&D class decks, then I wouldn't pick it up. It's great fun at the table, because then you can smack down your cards and such, but Edge of the Empire doesn't have dailies to smack down. And we're not at a table...Still, that's only my experience with D&D talking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:

The main idea with the cards is it presents all the details of each talent/skill/etc. on a handy reference. They've found that for face-to-face gaming, it can be useful and speed up the game.

Not really an issue in PbF, so you wont' really need them for this game, unless you are the type of completion-ist who enjoys having them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you two. Looks like I will be skipping them.

I am a completion-ist - but more for my board game collection - and only for a couple of games.

I saw them as I was looking to see if there was any explorer supplement book - like D&D does - etc...

So then - Eddie - what is the next thing you need from us?

I will be working on my back story - I can very easily get my story to end up at The Wheel - my previous crew was detained and ship and cargo confiscated - a few systems over - (fortunately for me I was not with them at the time of becoming detained) - so The Wheel would be a logical direction for me to head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's where we are at...

TABLE 1
Player Concept? Character Name Career/Specialization
Dumpy Nose X Satlimar Tem force exile
bulldog93 X Zander Kamlocht Bounty Hunter
Akhatosh X Ishmael Cindar Bounty Hunter
jhhoffmann X Jak Pilot
soylentRed X Astarii Menaraev Explorer:Scout
rdonoso X Neto Vrum Smuggler

TABLE 2
Player Concept? Character Name Career/Specialization
bassoon201 standby ?????? ?????
techsam2k8 in work ?????? ?????
dirtybacon in work ?????? ?????

No response yet:
Dorianvd

Dropped out:
jmlima
Pumpkinhead76

Even with three going MIA, we have plenty for two tables (always recruit extras).

If everyone listed in table 1 is ready to start doing detailed character creation, then head on over to:

Table 1 OOC thread

...and get working on fleshing out the details of your characters/how they came to know each other, etc.

Also: Important to this is also figuring out what ship the group wants to have, and any shared obligations.

For those at table 2, please post your initial idea for a character here to get that rolling. In the meantime I'll recruit another player or two to round out the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking a Corellian Human Driver (Explorer). However, depending on how the team shapes up, I'd be happy to jump to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
I'm thinking a Corellian Human Driver (Explorer). However, depending on how the team shapes up, I'd be happy to jump to something else.

Explorers are always helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Any movement on my group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:

No one has offered to join, so I was going to repost it again. I'll get the OOC set up today--we'll just proceed anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian VD
Belgium
SCHERPENHEUVEL
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
dirtybacon wrote:

No one has offered to join, so I was going to repost it again. I'll get the OOC set up today--we'll just proceed anyway.

Sorry, I was really occupied by certain events concerning my house.
I think I will roll to determine a winner between my character choices today. Too many interesting concepts imo. I have been brainstorming about them, but am unable to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |