Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Game thread is now live: Dead Man Walking

Here we go. OOC thread for this game. Let's start by chatting about character generation. It's not exactly simple for this game, so I'm comfortable with folks using pre-generated characters from the book if you're intimidated by the system.

Let's also get some stuff on the table for discussion about this game and how I like to GM.

****Some general rules/comments****
1) I am not a fan of min/maxing. If you want to create the perfect, invincible character who dominates every scene and slays octomorphs with one hand while hacking hypercorp mainframes with the other, I'm not the GM you're looking for. I'm interested in solid storytelling and character development, lots of interaction and creative problem-solving. I'm inclined to be very…forgiving…in my rules interpretations if it's because someone has a great story idea, and very, very harsh if I feel that someone is trying to "win" by working the system.

2) That said, I want everyone to have fun. That means everyone should get a turn in the spotlight. As the GM, I'll try to give everyone's character fun stuff to do, but try to be supportive of each other when it's someone else's turn to shine. You'll get your moment again, I promise, no need to jump in on someone else's stuff.

3) Let's try to post at least once per day, if not more. As GM I will try not to move the game forward in big ways until all characters have checked in on a given scene, but I will also be willing to engage in PC/NPC dialogue and what not as often as there's an opportunity to do so. That is to say, if I log in and someone is making small talk with Brazz the mechanic who's working on your ship, I'm not going to wait 24 hours for everyone to participate to hold up my end of the conversation. I will, however, not do anything major without the whole crew checking in.

****Game specific stuff****
1) From what I've read so far, I like the system and the universe. I would ask that unless you really, really have a great character idea we stay away from the uplift morphs (the animals with human personalities) for a while. It's hard enough planning a game, it gets borderline ridiculous when one of the players insists on being a hyper-intelligent sea cucumber or whatever.

2) I'd like this to be a campaign style game--I'll set up a shortish scenario to start with, but if we wrap that up and folks want to continue, I'm all for extending the game until everyone is sick of it.

3) I'm willing to play whatever style you guys want, but my personal inclination would be to either play in the criminal underbelly, or as part of one of the hypercorps. I'm more interested in intrigue and conspiracy than the exploration/horror aspects of this thing.

4) Let's all start with low level characters--I like that both because it gives you room to grow as we learn the rules a bit together, and because if you want to tweak your character a bit after generation it's not such a big deal. I'll level you up quickly a bit at first, so don't worry about having to play an underpowered character.

5) Same deal with morphs. I'd like everyone in a mid-level morph to start. You'll get your chance to be a bad-ass later. For the moment let's work with something basic. The scenario I'm turning over in my brain at the moment will have you jumping into new bodies with some regularity, so you're hardly stuck here. (Also, if Dan pisses me off, I'm parking his ego in an uplifted penguin and making him waddle around after you guys begging to be picked up.)

That's all my random thoughts for now. Anyone else thinking thinks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can work with a penguin.

But I really had my heart set on a sea cucumber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
First, thanks a real bunch for GMing this game of Eclipse Phase Dave, I really appreciate you stepping in.

I've always wanted to try this game out and now is the perfect chance for me to do so.

I'm not a fan of min-maxing either, I prefer characters with more consistency and backstory than just a pile of stats. So I'm perfectly fine starting at the bottom and discover the world with a character I'll have thought myself (I won't take a pregen if you don't mind, I'd rather see the character creation process as well).

As for the style of play, as at the moment I'm really into Night's Black Agents and infiltration style of settings, intrigues and conspiracies are exactly what I'm looking for in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
/agree with everything! Thanks for running this. Some of my own notes:

Some weekends I'm constantly on-line, others are tougher and you may not see me at all. And I'm going to be on vacation for a couple weeks in April. Since it's an exotic destination I'll probably not be in the mood to get online, but because it's with my extended family, that may cancel it out and you'll see me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other reminder: If you're going to be away or unable to post approximately daily for a while, please let everyone know (here, I guess).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Talking about posting, I'll be at a convention this weekend, and to quite half a dozen between now and August. I should be able to post at least something anyway, but in any case, I'll let you know when that won't be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we can all be flexible--the important thing is using the OOC thread to let us know when you are and aren't active. I don't think anyone minds taking a week off for someone's vacation or whatever (and I also don't mind doing something in-game to excuse you for a week while everyone else goes on, if that works in context), but we shouldn't have days and days pass where one player just doesn't participate and no one knows why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
When I ran EP earlier I made some wiki character sheets. Let me know if anyone wants to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:

I'm not a fan of min-maxing either, I prefer characters with more consistency and backstory than just a pile of stats. So I'm perfectly fine starting at the bottom and discover the world with a character I'll have thought myself (I won't take a pregen if you don't mind, I'd rather see the character creation process as well).

I'm all for generating your own characters. I just wanted it out there as an option for anyone who looks at the character system and feels like it's too much. Of course you can always tweak from a pregen as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm usually good for at least one post a day during the week. Weekends are tougher as they are busy with family stuff. Feel free to move things along without me (weekends or whenever) if needed.

I have downloaded but not read the CRB yet. I will be trying to do that this week, looking at character generation first. I agree with min-max discussion above. Story and character development are my favorite part of RPGing. So is the danger and reality of character death. Creates a lot more tension.

Without knowing anything about the world yet, I think for this game I want to be more of a straight up tank/fighter type as I'm playing a caster in the Pathfinder/Fantasy game I'm also starting.

And once again, thanks Dave. Looking forward to this.

edit - And I'm Jeff for those who don't know me. I live in California and am a big kid in a 43 year old body. 2 girls in college and boy in high school and a wife who I love to pieces...and she's a realist who doesn't quite get my enjoyment of this part of life. She's not a geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:
When I ran EP earlier I made some wiki character sheets. Let me know if anyone wants to use them.

Yes please! Thanks! I may go pregen (maybe with a little tweaking) for this game. I'll take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Time for some presentations indeed.

I'm Yohann, a 38-year old French RPGer based on the French Riviera. I work as a freelance English teacher for adults and I've recently started a freelance job as a translator for some French RPG publishers. I'll see where all that will lead me to.

I've got no kids yet but I do have a wonderful fiancée who's also an RPGer, even though she fancies boardgames more. It means that she completely understands my addiction to RPG Geek, and to RPGs and boardgames in general.

Basically, I'm more into narrative-oriented styles of games, even though I've got absolutely nothing against dungeon crawlers and games with a heavy system. I usually enjoy everything for what they bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Dave. 34, married to a wonderful woman who I adore with every fiber of my being even though she has zero interest in my geeky endeavors. We have a two-year-old daughter who is my favorite thing ever. I work in logistics, recently completed an MBA, and now I have a little free time that I'm hoping to turn into even more geeky stuff.

I love RPing, but I'm really fascinated by GMing. I am very much looking forward to this game. I have no problem playing fast and loose with the rules if the story is going well--I'm not one of those GMs who will roll three skill checks and a damage modifier to determine if you can crush your soda can and throw it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Dan, and I am probably the Old Man of the group at 51, and I have been gaming and role-playing longer than Dave has been alive. I'm a lawyer, so don't try any of that funny stuff with me, pal.

Like Dave, I am afflicted with NGS (Non-Gaming Spouse) Syndrome - my wife is a geek about other things, but just isn't a gamer. My kids... My almost-13 daughter and almost-11 son are both well on their way to full gamerhood - we are all in a kid-centric (players, not characters) Pathfinder game, and both of them would like to play more board games, though mostly they are computer game freaks (Minecraft especially).

I would like to retire so I can do nothing but play games all the time, but since that doesn't seem likely in the near future, I do as much as I can in my free time (and I try to make as much free time as possible).

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, Dave is part of my real-life circle of gaming friends, so you can expect him to treat me extra harshly, especially if I manage to beat him in a board game at our regular Game Night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subject to Dave's approval, I think I will use the "Ultimate Merc" (page 168 of the CRB pdf) as a starting point.

Now I have to figure out what all the data means and a backstory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
wysire wrote:
Subject to Dave's approval, I think I will use the "Ultimate Merc" (page 168 of the CRB pdf) as a starting point.

That's fine with me, though I think it'll be more fun for you if you tweak some of the skills and what not to your liking using that as a template.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
wysire wrote:

That's fine with me, though I think it'll be more fun for you if you tweak some of the skills and what not to your liking using that as a template.

Will do once I read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Alex 42 (yes, the answer to life, the universe, and everything), but that'll change in the next couple of days and then I'll be a mundane age again.

My plans to grow my own gaming group are starting to come to fruition with my eldest turning 10 this year and the other 2 spaced a couple years apart after that.

Re: the game - In the spirit of non-min-max I think I'm open to trusting the Geek roller to determine my pre-gen!

And - I rolled a 9 so that's "Lunar Ego Hunter" - will commence tweaking to fit our story when the time comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 515456. USP45
  • 1d16 =
  • (9) =
  • And my pre-gen is....
  • Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 pm
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
I'm Alex 42 (yes, the answer to life, the universe, and everything), but that'll change in the next couple of days and then I'll be a mundane age again.

My plans to grow my own gaming group are starting to come to fruition with my eldest turning 10 this year and the other 2 spaced a couple years apart after that.

Re: the game - In the spirit of non-min-max I think I'm open to trusting the Geek roller to determine my pre-gen!

And - I rolled a 9 so that's "Lunar Ego Hunter" - will commence tweaking to fit our story when the time comes.

Awesome.

I am starting to have an idea for an initial story hook, so once I have your basic character sketches I'll let you all know how you got there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlkrlarsson wrote:

The wiki pages for Port of Call yeah? Pretty cool. If you and/or Dave G. don't mind I'll definitely use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
I think I'd like to play an Hyperelite background. As for my character's faction, perhaps it's something we should discuss together so as not to create unnecessary conflicts between our characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
karlkrlarsson wrote:

The wiki pages for Port of Call yeah? Pretty cool. If you and/or Dave G. don't mind I'll definitely use it.

I'm all for it. What is it? Everyone can use it, far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
I think I'd like to play an Hyperelite background. As for my character's faction, perhaps it's something we should discuss together so as not to create unnecessary conflicts between our characters.

I like that and can work with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
The way this character is starting to appear in my mind's eye is some kind of cross-over between Daniel Craig's James Bond and Sophie Devereaux from Leverage.

Basically a character that fits perfectly well in the High Society and who could either be a spy or a con man. Or both...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
The way this character is starting to appear in my mind's eye is some kind of cross-over between Daniel Craig's James Bond and Sophie Devereaux from Leverage.

Basically a character that fits perfectly well in the High Society and who could either be a spy or a con man. Or both...

I'm thinking a criminal/con-man element is going to be our starting point, though I'll work the story to pull in characters of any background to the starting circumstances.

For morphs, don't spend too much time choosing your first one--I'm going to resleeve you VERY early on and you'll have some choices to make at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |