Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
the short story that shows up at the front of the Core Book

WOAH - I decided to revisit the short story myself tonight and the date that's mentioned for when Sava wakes up is March 11. The today of many years in the future! Freaky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Cubertafon
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
Have you guys heard of Transhuman? Apparently it has among other things some expanded character creation options like random life path and packages-based characters (whatever that means).

Yep, I heard of it. Actually I backed it. It provides numerous options for characters, and yes, provides "simpler" rules to create a character:
- package based: the player makes a limited number of choices based on templates and tweaks the stats and the skills.
- life path based: the players create his character through life from birth to the present. It implies some rolls to determine what happened sometimes. And it also assumes that PC will be Firewall agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sorry to bother you all again, but I am unsubscribing from this thread. So if anyone needs help with the sheet, feel free to geek mail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
deborn wrote:
USP45 wrote:
Have you guys heard of Transhuman? Apparently it has among other things some expanded character creation options like random life path and packages-based characters (whatever that means).

Yep, I heard of it. Actually I backed it. It provides numerous options for characters, and yes, provides "simpler" rules to create a character:
- package based: the player makes a limited number of choices based on templates and tweaks the stats and the skills.
- life path based: the players create his character through life from birth to the present. It implies some rolls to determine what happened sometimes. And it also assumes that PC will be Firewall agents.

If everyone wants to play firewall agents, of course I'll work with it, but the ideas I've seen so far are more fun than that. In my humble opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Christophe Cubertafon
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
deborn wrote:
It implies some rolls to determine what happened sometimes. And it also assumes that PC will be Firewall agents.

If everyone wants to play firewall agents, of course I'll work with it, but the ideas I've seen so far are more fun than that. In my humble opinion.

It was a warning regarding Transhuman supplement

Given the choice, con men/criminals/Leverage-like seems more fun than Firewall agents. In my humble opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, I'm looking at the character generation sheet, and the first thing it asks is how many points I have, which leads me to wonder: How many creation points do I have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Dave, I'm looking at the character generation sheet, and the first thing it asks is how many points I have, which leads me to wonder: How many creation points do I have?

Page 130 in the sourcebook. You get 105 aptitude points and 1000 customization points to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
Play, play, play and have a hell of a good time.
mbmb
I also backed Transhuman at pdf level, but I'll only use the CRB to create my character as I really want to get the hang of character creation for this game.

So far, what I know is that my character is a con man from and Hyperelite background, that he belongs to the Argonauts faction and that his motivation is philantropy.

Basically, a good guy turned bad guy to do good things, and also for the thrill of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Incoming Message. Source: Anonymous]
[Public Key Decryption Complete]

Lunar Ego Hunter

As a member of the infamous Lost Generation, Isaac Khan had spent most of his recent years immersed in the task of trying to move on. Make no mistake, a lifelong grudge was in place and Isaac was taking notes as he went along, but in the meantime until action could be taken against those responsible for the doomed project, he'd try to eek out a living doing what he enjoyed most - explore.  Unfortunately doing the kind of exploring that interested him wasn't cheap, so Isaac spent his time saving up for what he enjoyed by doing what he was good at - tracking people down.  Lately the folks who paid the most happened to be "under the table" kind of people.  Isaac wasn't choosy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
As I'm trying to get my head round character creation, I was wondering about balance for new characters.

Regarding the abilities, if I follow the CRB, they should all be put at 15 then tweaked in brackets for 5 thereafter. So what could be a good balanced distribution that doesn't min-max a PC? One or two abilities at 20?

Concerning skills, there are so many that I found it difficult to put more than 50 CPs in more than half of them. So what kind of skill scores are expected from the PCs in their areas of expertise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first obvious tweak for Isaac will be to change "Lunar" to "Criminal" as background. "Lunar Ego Hunter" -> "Criminal Ego Hunter"

That might imply that I hunt criminal egos (rather than work as one) so I'm just going to shorten the description to "Ego Hunter". None of this matters in-game anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
As I'm trying to get my head round character creation, I was wondering about balance for new characters.

Wish I had a better answer for you, but I'm planning on just looking at the sample characters to get a feel for that type of question. And personally I'll probably just be tweaking in the areas that he needs it to fit the character concept above.

(By the way my cousin in France is also in the translation biz! She's out of Paris.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Well, I think I should have a look at the pregens and take some inspiration from them.

You've got a cousin in France? Neat! Do tell me if you ever come and spend some holiday here. By the way, what kind of translation is she in? Technical, literary, gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to vary from gig to gig. One day she'll be doing a public policy thing, then Chinese economy, and later a sports thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
USP45 wrote:
It seems to vary from gig to gig. One day she'll be doing a public policy thing, then Chinese economy, and later a sports thing.
Well, not gaming related then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:

Regarding the abilities, if I follow the CRB, they should all be put at 15 then tweaked in brackets for 5 thereafter. So what could be a good balanced distribution that doesn't min-max a PC? One or two abilities at 20?

Concerning skills, there are so many that I found it difficult to put more than 50 CPs in more than half of them. So what kind of skill scores are expected from the PCs in their areas of expertise?

Page 174 of the sourcebook has two handy charts to help you get a sense of what a skill/aptitude ranking translates into in application. I would definitely take a look at that.

Same for skills--your skills that are at 50 are pretty well developed. A skill score of 50 represents advanced training. A 60 makes you an expert in that skill (the book compares it to PhD level training) and anything over 70 makes you basically a serious expert. I wouldn't worry about having too many 50s, and I might spread it even thinner than that to bring more skills up to the 20 (basic proficiency) level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
The first obvious tweak for Isaac will be to change "Lunar" to "Criminal" as background. "Lunar Ego Hunter" -> "Criminal Ego Hunter"

That might imply that I hunt criminal egos (rather than work as one) so I'm just going to shorten the description to "Ego Hunter". None of this matters in-game anyways.

Your background networks will matter a little but for story-telling purposes, and if you find yourself needing to leverage your reputation for help it will matter which groups you associate with. That said, it's six of one, half dozen of the other far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
Thanks Dave, I'll definitely have a look at that later today

Talking about factions and as I can't really find any time to start to read the whole CRB before next week, as much as I want to (the more I read glimpses of this game, the more I'm in love with it!), what could you tell me about the Argonauts faction. It seems they are the Robin Hoods of technological equality, which would fit perfectly well with my character's motivation, "Philanthropy".

Am I correct or have I completely missed the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
Thanks Dave, I'll definitely have a look at that later today

Talking about factions and as I can't really find any time to start to read the whole CRB before next week, as much as I want to (the more I read glimpses of this game, the more I'm in love with it!), what could you tell me about the Argonauts faction. It seems they are the Robin Hoods of technological equality, which would fit perfectly well with my character's motivation, "Philanthropy".

Am I correct or have I completely missed the point?

I don't know that the "Robin Hood" part is implied, but it absolutely fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
That was just a kind of lame interpretation, but well, it seems like the Argonauts faction is what I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hexagram wrote:
That was just a kind of lame interpretation, but well, it seems like the Argonauts faction is what I need.

Works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having trouble with the character generation. I've tried using the online tool three or four times, and it is making me a little crazy. I would like to take a sample character that's kind of close and tweak from there - it looks like the anarchist saboteur in the Quickstart is a reasonable starting point - but it's not clear how those characters were built (i.e., which points went where and came from where).

Dave, are we starting with 1000 CP (with minimum 400 in Active Skills and 300 in Knowledge Skills) and 5000 credits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
I am having trouble with the character generation. I've tried using the online tool three or four times, and it is making me a little crazy. I would like to take a sample character that's kind of close and tweak from there - it looks like the anarchist saboteur in the Quickstart is a reasonable starting point - but it's not clear how those characters were built (i.e., which points went where and came from where).

Dave, are we starting with 1000 CP (with minimum 400 in Active Skills and 300 in Knowledge Skills) and 5000 credits?

Yes.

By the way, go easy on the credits/starting gear. I don't want anyone to stress over it and there are lots of choices. I'd suggest you pick a couple specific things you think your character must have for character reasons or because they go with a specific skill or whatever, and not worry about packing the basics--when we start the scenario, your employer will provide you with the stuff you'll need for this initial mission, or we'll "stop" and let you buy things. I dislike the micromanagement of inventory part of RPGs. In fact, generally speaking if everyone is comfortable with it I'm inclined to handle items on the fly. Your characters have some "stuff" on them always, and if it's something you'd be reasonably expected to carry you can just assume you have one. That is, if your character always carries a special set of daggers with him, whatever morph he's in, tell me that in the character sheet, but you don't need to catalog how many lockpicks or USB drives or Tic Tacs™ you're carrying at every given moment. Unless someone's really into that part, in which case micromanage away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann
France
flag msg tools
designer
Pandacon is Panda-On!
badge
mbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
I dislike the micromanagement of inventory part of RPGs.
Thank you! That's an aspect of some games that I usually tend to overlook.

djgutierrez77 wrote:
In fact, generally speaking if everyone is comfortable with it I'm inclined to handle items on the fly.
That's perfectly fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
re: not micromanaging inventory - sounds good to me.

Unless I'm playing Torchbearer I prefer not to worry about that stuff either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |