Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the IC thread for the 2014 Newbie PbF Initiative game. (When I come up with a cool title for it, I'll rename it).

This thread is for:

Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Panda Empress, First of Her Name
mbmb
N/A
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb

Please only post IC comments here.

The OOC thread is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It begins!
It is the second night of MegaGamingCon - the largest gaming convention in the state! This is the con to be at, with hundreds of games going on throughout the weekend, and special guests such as Adrian Paul and George Takei available to sign autographs. There's even a rumor that Burn Notice's Bruce Campbell might show up!

You are all excited to be here, most of you having waited all year for the con to come. While you have your own gaming group, there's nothing like the feeling of being at MegaGamingCon. Walking down the concourse, seeing gamers sprawled out everywhere they can be to play the latest game, feeling the atmosphere of friends - new and old - coming together to learn the latest RPGs, and the smell of ... well, you can probably live without the smell.

Its is a little after 6 PM. The exhibit hall has closed, and gamers are starting their evening of games. Having finished your dinner, you've decided to jump in and start your evening as well.

You were hoping to get into the big game of the night - a new fantasy LARP run by celebrities Bil Beaton and Felicity Night! Unfortunately, that filled up in pre-registration, so you can only glance into room C110, hoping to catch a glimpse of the celebrities. The lucky few who are in the game are blocking the door, preventing you from seeing anything.

You make your way to room C125, across the way, looking for the table of the game you signed up for - a playtest of a new board game about to be Kickstarted. There is a lot of talk surrounding the game, so you are pretty excited to be in it.

The room is empty, except for two tables. One has a GM screen and a number of guys surrounding it - it looks like a game of Pathfinder about to start. The other table has a board game on it and a few people standing around. That must be your table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve looks at the other players gathers around the table.

"Hi there..names Steve..Friends call me Chuggachugga though..Feel free to do the same! I love train games just love them..Most people seem to like that about me..I do get some complaints occasionally ..Guess some people cant handle the enthusiasm..Just warning you now though when I get excited I sometimes make a sound like a 4-8-4 steam locomotive..I'm sure you all know the one..Right..Right?!"

Steve tries his best to pull his size xl shirt down over his size xxl body and takes a seat at the table hoping hes not showing too much crack.

"So tell me about you guys..Hope someone here is a trainiac like myself.. Thats a word I made up ..TRAINIAC TOOT TOOT"

Long day at work I hope this doesn't come across as stupid ..lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The information booth is currently manned by an older woman, who looks none to pleased to be there. She scowls at every person who walks by and you wonder how long she's been sitting there, smelling the unique smell that permeates the halls.

Nick arrives at the food court to find that its actually a coffee shop he's never heard of. There is a short line, but it has coffee, which is what counts. Glancing up at the prices, you are taken aback for a few seconds - $3.50 for a coffee?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The woman looks at you with thinly slit eyes.

I don't have time for this crap. All you LERPers, of whatever the sam hell you call it, have been bugging me all day. Pardon me m'lady and [/i]Excuse me human[/i], and now some detective BS?!?

You notice there is a correlation with the loudness of her voice and the redness of her face.

Fine...you want security? Go over there!

She points down the hall.

Top of the escalators, then turn left. Now get the hell away from me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hey guys, sorry I'm late, my name's Jeff. When's the game getting started?"

Jeff looks down at the table and the prototype playing pieces.

"This is what's going on Kickstarter? That can't be all there's to it, really? The original D&D had more to it in its little white box than this."

Jeff sighs. "Damn, knew I should have woken up earlier, could have been watching Felicia Day..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A skinny man, dressed in a "I trade wood for sheep" T-shirt sits down at the table and introduces himself as Chuck, the creator of the game.

leroy43 wrote:
"This is what's going on Kickstarter? That can't be all there's to it, really? The original D&D had more to it in its little white box than this."

Chucks starts an explanation in a high, nasally voice.

Ah yes, well, you see, this game is a mixture of the simplification of reality with the complexity that is life. I have examined, in-depth, hundreds of board games and have abstracted the best features from each. Don't judge the game by the components here. Many are still in prototyping phase, but will be ready by the Kickstarter.

The theme of this game is of trading space merchants in Renaissance Italy. Everyone, I give you...

He pauses dramatically and flares his arms wide.

Merchants of Sicily Space Station Alpha 5!

leroy43 wrote:
Jeff sighs. "Damn, knew I should have woken up earlier, could have been watching Felicia Day..."

Chucks snorts in laughter at your obvious play on the name Felicity Night.

I personally invited her to the game, but she had to do the LARP. We're close, personal friends you know...on Twitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
This really wasn't Keira's scene...but curiosity and boredom had a curious affect on the girl, and she wasn't above doing a little exploring...even if she stood out from the rest of the crowd (even dressed in what she considered casual clothes -- her costume is safely tucked away in her bag.) With her bag thrown over her shoulder, she glanced at the board games curiously, not recognizing a single one.

I haven't played a board game since elementary school...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve stares directly at Keira..Seemingly unphased by anything else that is going on.

"Hey uhh did you say this game had trains in it? I thought i was testing a game with trains."

He continues his extremely awkward glaring taking in Keira.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IvoryThorns wrote:
This really wasn't Keira's scene...but curiosity and boredom had a curious affect on the girl, and she wasn't above doing a little exploring...even if she stood out from the rest of the crowd (even dressed in what she considered casual clothes -- her costume is safely tucked away in her bag.) With her bag thrown over her shoulder, she glanced at the board games curiously, not recognizing a single one.

Chuck glances up from setting up the game.

Well hello there little lady. He stands up, his arms sweeping wide.

Interested in joining our little group to play the game that I conceived, invented, and created? I guarantee you'll enjoy it, and I won't bite...hard.

He snorts at his own joke, a wide smile across his face.

Keira inwardly sighs. Another geek hitting on her. With this, and the awkward guy asking about trains staring at her, she started to form a negative response but then thought better. Why not? Its not like she had anything else to do. Besides, she was pitching games all day, why not play one?

Riddlebox85 wrote:
Steve stares directly at Keira..Seemingly unphased by anything else that is going on.

"Hey uhh did you say this game had trains in it? I thought i was testing a game with trains."

He continues his extremely awkward glaring taking in Keira.

Trains? Yes! Space trains! You see, the Merchants of Sicily use space transports to deliver goods to their trading ports, but have to watch out for space pirates who want to steal their goods. Here, let me explain the rules...

Chuck begins his long introduction to Merchants of Sicily Space Station Alpha 5!. (Yes, he actually did put the ! in the title.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gberdex wrote:
Unless something catches his attention between the booth and the escalators. Like the celebrity's or starting game room...

As Nick heads toward the escalators, he glances to his right and sees a woman entering one of the rooms. She's better looking than 99% of the people he's seen so far, and to him thats suspicious. Thinking he can hit the security cameras later, he changes direction to follow her.

About halfway he bumps into two guys, about 30 from the look of it, wearing badly made medieval tunics - one red and the other blue - and holding foam swords.

You watch, red tunic says. Felicity Night will be all over me. I've watched all of her videos, and my tunic is the same color of her hair!

Whatever, blue tunic replies. All I care about is this game. Its supposed to be off the hook! He raises his arms rather pathetically in an attempt to look cool.

I heard the Bil Beaton has some type of surprise for the game. It'll be epic!

The two hurry past Nick and into a room across the hall. As Nick follows the woman into the room, he sees that she sits at a table with 4 other guys to play some weird board game.

Hey you! one of the guys yells. Wanna join? We have room for one more!

Why not, Nick thinks. This will be a good opportunity to get to figure out if this woman is up to something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Keira had slid into a seat. Well, she could say she gave it a go -- a little adventure, as it were, into the land of boardgames. Who knew, this might even be fun.

She sets her duffel bag beneath the chair with the chair leg through the handle, in case someone tried to get grabby (because there was no way she was paying for that costume if it disappeared!)

She frowns at Train Guy -- a disapproving look with slightly raised eyebrows. What's the problem with this guy?

The voice at her elbow actually surprises her a little, a fact she quickly covers with a smile that seems both practiced and disinterested. "Keira." Her eyes flicker from him back to the self-titled conceiver, inventor, and creator of this game, trying to follow his explanation of the rules and pieces...which would be helped along a great deal if he stopped using examples from other games she had never heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff sighs and sits down. "Seriously? A synthesis of everything that's come before? Fine. Look, I paid my money to be here, I'm willing to give it a shot. Give us a spin. Do we roll up our own characters or do you have some pre-generated ones for us?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve sucks in some snot still staring at Keira and finally speaks up.

"Hi..names Steve..You can call me Chuggachugga though."

He wipes the remainder of the snot on his sleeve and holds his hand out for Keira to shake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick does not recognize anyone from anywhere else.

Chuck launches into his explanation of how to play the game. It becomes quickly obvious to anyone that has ever played a euro-board game before that Chuck has ripped off most of the rules from other games; for those that have not played one before, the explanation is a mass of confusion. However, despite this, Chuck is entertaining (although you are pretty sure he doesn't mean to be), and the glances you make around the table at everyone keeps you here.

After about 15 minutes, from which Chuck is still explaining the first phase, you hear a voice come over a loudspeaker from across the hall.

Klaatu Verrata Nickel....I summon thee from the pantheon of the ones below!

Those who are in the geek culture recognize the voice as Bil Beaton's.

Ah man, Chuck complains loudly. I can't believe they let that hack have a mic...now we won't be able to concentrate or fill out the suggestion forms. Which reminds me...

Chuck reaches behind him into a backpack and pulls out a thick stack of papers, handing one to each of you.

Please fill these out as we go.

You look in horror as each is an evaluation packet for his game, complete with NDA, and weighing in at about 30 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff leafs through the stack of paper and snorts. "I'm not signing this. But not to worry. Your secret's completely safe with me!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck is a little taken aback by your refusal to sign.

But....but if you don't, I can't allow you to see the super secret Kickstarter stretch goals! I'll give you a hint...

He looks at Keira directly.

One of them is me running the game for someone. Personally.

Keira involuntarily shivers.

As if on cue, a scream is heard from across the hall. All of you jump in your seat, not expecting it. The scream strikes something deep in all of you. You've all been in LARPs before or watched late-night scream queens do their thing, and you know what a fake scream is.

This scream was not fake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
After giving Steve the most horrified expression he has likely ever seen, Keira delicately places a napkin in the outstretched hand instead of shaking it, hoping he gets the hint.

As for the rules, Keira is hoping this makes more sense in play than it does being explained without any context...

She doesn't comment on the suggestion packet -- the guys seem to be doing it for her -- and instead shoots Nick a slight frown. "I don't mean to be rude," she answers in an equally low voice, "But I don't want you wasting your time or all your best lines, so I'm going to tell you right now that I'm not interested." Her eyes flicker back to the game board, purposefully avoiding making eye contact with their host. "I'm just here to play."

The scream, however, makes her jump a few inches and half-rise out of her seat. Maybe it's just someone having a little too much fun...

ahadl;jfkdj You sneaked a post in while I was typing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff drops his character sheet like a hot potato and knocks his chair over as he immediately leaps up and spins to face the sound of the scream.

"What the hell!"

Jeff sprints in the direction the sound came from without a backwards glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all jump out of your seats and into the hallway, Nick leading the way. Chuck is left sitting there in mid-sentence, mouth agape.

The hall is being flooded with gamers running from the LARP room, all dressed in various forms of fantasy clothing. One runs out wearing a pink tunic with a dragon on it, and falls out of breath in front of you.

"Bill...Felicity..." he gasps between breaths. "changed..."

With that, you hear another scream from inside the room, and a high pitched wail that chills you to your soul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve follows along still reading the game rules..Trying to locate the section on trains to determine if the rules include proper weight distribution for cargo based on the horsepower of the engine.

"Whats with all the screaming it sounds like my mom having 'special prayer night' with our neighbor George"
Steve throws up some air quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea G
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
"Ew..." Keira shoots him a look, unable to help herself.

Well, maybe I can do some good here... Changed, huh? What's that supposed to mean?

She pushes back into the crowd. "Out of the way. I'm a doctor! I can help!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keira shoots forward, the others trailing behind her.

As she gets closer, a small, thin figure in a cloak appears in the doorway. The figure, face hidden in the folds of the hood, falls forward into Keria's arms.

"Are you OK?" Keira asks instinctively.

The figure is light and their frame makes Keira think its a young woman.

OK? the voice replies. Immediately, everyone knows something is wrong with the voice. Its too high pitched, almost reverberating.

I'll be OK....as soon as I have your soul!

The figure jumps up, the hood flying back off her face to reveal a pink face, wrinkled and dessicated beyond her years. Her eyes are fully white and her lips snarl back to reveal black teeth. The thing cackles in glee as it jumps toward Keira, sharp claws in front her!

OK - first, everyone make a Willpower test - roll d10 and add your Willpower doubled.

Also, let me know what you are doing. You can assume that there are tables, chairs, and other things you'd find in a convention center hallway lying around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gberdex wrote:
If this is initiative or fear tests should I add my modifiers?
Fast Reaction Time - Gain a +1 to Fear tests, and always go first during combat.
Nerves of Steel - Immune to Fear tests, except in extreme cases where you get a +4.

This is a fear test. You bring up a good point - if you have Nerves of Steel, then you are fine. If you have Fast Reaction Time, you get to add a +1 to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven still somewhat oblivious gasps a little when he sees the cloaked ..thing..Thinking quickly he looks around for any sort of weapon to defend himself with.

All he can find is a large hard foam shield and foam short sword he thinks he remembered seeing someone dressed as Link holding earlier.

Holding the foam sword he runs toward his princess..err..Keira to try and save her from the clutches of this evildoer.

I have nerves of steel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |