Beyond the Rim» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Eddie's Edge of the Empire (Table 1) OOC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! This is the thread for out of game chat & discussion for table 1:

TABLE 1
Player Character Name Career/Specialization
Akhatosh Ishmael Cindar Bounty Hunter
jhhoffmann Jak Pilot
soylentRed Astarii Menaraev Explorer:Scout
dirtybacon Bonn Marmot Driver
belirahc Tellarn Gandor Colonist

Throughout the game, this is where you post to discuss most anything that isn't an in-game action, statement, etc. This avoids cluttering up the "game" thread and disrupting the narrative.

This is useful for working on fleshing out the details of your characters/how they came to know each other, etc, as well as what ship the group wants to have, and any shared obligations.

Useful links:

1In-Game thread

2Character Repository: Character Sheets

3Rolling dice for SW: SW dice guide

ACT 3 Destiny Dice pool:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome - really excited to play. Cool to see we have a pilot - I'll put less into flight then likely and focus more on other skills... since that will be your forte. I have a few nights on the road for work coming up - it'll be nice to have this to think about, make character, etc - at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we lack a mechanic, I'll try to put some work into making sure my gadgeteer is at least competent in that regard, probably going to spend one level of my two free non-class skills in computer to help that along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumpy Nose wrote:
Are we assuming the PC's all know each other, or are we going for the "You all meet in an inn" route?

Not only does everyone know each other, you are all part of the same group, using a starship you share to get from place to place. You can build how you met into your backstory, as well as shared obligations.

For a certain force-exile, go ahead and use your ISB idea, if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
Dumpy Nose wrote:
Are we assuming the PC's all know each other, or are we going for the "You all meet in an inn" route?

Not only does everyone know each other, you are all part of the same group, using a starship you share to get from place to place. You can build how you met into your backstory, as well as shared obligations.

For a certain force-exile, go ahead and use your ISB idea, if you want.

And yeah, I know that speeds up the intro process--but the core of this game system is not party building, it's getting into the "movie-esque" scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My current sketch for a back story is:

Born in Ord Cantrell but moving in my late teens where the work was to Ord Mantell. My previous crew and I were sent on a pickup run to Ruusan. It was supposed to be a simple pick up and return job, I remember over hearing some discussion of some old relics needing to be picked up, but when we stopped on the way back for supplies in ___this can be where we meet___, I left the ship for some relaxation in the cantina, only to return to find my ship being guarded by Imperial forces and my crew in restraints being led into a Lambda-class shuttle...

Not wanting to join them, I walked away and kept my mouth shut. I would occasionally inquire about the Imperial ship and asked if anyone else thought it odd... but nobody knew anything of it. My guess is my old team never let on that there was another crew member not there... a guilt I will have to deal with. Since then, I have never heard from any of them.

This would lead to where I'm with no ship - and need a new group to work with. I'd be happy to beat any of you at a game of Dejarik - an easy way to meet up in a cantina, etc. (Would prefer Pazaak... but I'm not sure it's still played at this point.)

We still need to come up with how we end up at The Wheel.

Thoughts?

I will elaborate on how I gained my scout skills etc... but will something like this work? Going the right direction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll repeat my backstory here, but I've added to it.

Jak, Twi'lek pilot

Jak always felt the need to live up to his parent's expectations. However, he was never close to his father, because his father was off-world for months at a time as an interstellar pilot. When Jak was a teen, his father took a job he never returned from. Looking back at his childhood, Jak has come to suspect that his father wasn't always piloting for legitimate businesses.

Jak developed into a fairly good planetary pilot himself, but fell in with a gang of petty thieves, piloting the getaway vehicle for smash-and-grab jobs. Once while Jak was waiting in the speeder for his co-conspirators to grab the goods, he saw them get caught in the act. In a moment of cowardice, he simply took off.

With the law and the rest of his gang after him, he left Ryloth and managed to make his way as pilot both on-planet and in space.

--

Jak picked up work piloting interplanetary transports at the Kessel spice mines. One time, as a Twi'lek pilot, someone mistook him for his father, Dak. Spurred by this recent information about the whereabouts of his father, he took up interstellar piloting to be able to search for his father through many systems.

--

Let's say Jak and Astarii met at that same place where Astarii lost his first crew. I'm not super familiar with Star Wars locations. I have only watched the movies. Could we say we all originally met in "The Wheel" and we are just back there when the adventure starts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Insane amounts of trade and starships go through the Wheel, and many people spend their whole lives there--it's very possible to meet folks there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumpy Nose wrote:
eddie_drood wrote:
Insane amounts of trade and starships go through the Wheel, and many people spend their whole lives there--it's very possible to meet folks there.

This works for me as well - Dr. Sat could have met up with Jax there. Sat would have offered his serices in exchange for a stable (albeit mobile) home.

I'm having trouble keeping all the characters straight, especially since we are also using aliases for our RPGGeek usernames! And the organization thread is long and full of half-formed ideas and also characters that will end up on table 2.

Can/should we start posting what we have so far to the character geek-list, and just keep editing them until they are all massaged into shape?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhhoffmann wrote:
Can/should we start posting what we have so far to the character geek-list, and just keep editing them until they are all massaged into shape?

I just went ahead and did this anyway.

We can use the "Specialization Deck" RPG item as the item for our character on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
jhhoffmann wrote:
Dumpy Nose wrote:
eddie_drood wrote:

This works for me as well - Dr. Sat could have met up with Jax there. Sat would have offered his serices in exchange for a stable (albeit mobile) home.

I'm having trouble keeping all the characters straight, especially since we are also using aliases for our RPGGeek usernames! And the organization thread is long and full of half-formed ideas and also characters that will end up on table 2.

Build your character in the character geeklist, and edit it as you go. Talk about the plans/backgrounds here. Makes things much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question - do any of you have access to this book?

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=S...

It's the Sourcebook for Explorers - let me know if you do - might want to ask about the other 2 trees - etc.

Eddie - you OK with that being used at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhhoffmann wrote:

Jak, Twi'lek pilot

Jak always felt the need to live up to his parent's expectations. However, he was never close to his father, because his father was off-world for months at a time as an interstellar pilot. When Jak was a teen, his father took a job he never returned from. Looking back at his childhood, Jak has come to suspect that his father wasn't always piloting for legitimate businesses.

Jak developed into a fairly good planetary pilot himself, but fell in with a gang of petty thieves, piloting the getaway vehicle for smash-and-grab jobs. Once while Jak was waiting in the speeder for his co-conspirators to grab the goods, he saw them get caught in the act. In a moment of cowardice, he simply took off.

With the law and the rest of his gang after him, he left Ryloth and managed to make his way as pilot both on-planet and in space.

--

Jak picked up work piloting interplanetary transports at the Kessel spice mines. One time, as a Twi'lek pilot, someone mistook him for his father, Dak. Spurred by this recent information about the whereabouts of his father, he took up interstellar piloting to be able to search for his father through many systems.

--

Let's say Jak and Astarii met at that same place where Astarii lost his first crew. I'm not super familiar with Star Wars locations. I have only watched the movies. Could we say we all originally met in "The Wheel" and we are just back there when the adventure starts?

Fairly similar back stories we have! I like it! (I hadn't read yours at all when I was thinking about mine - didn't want to be influenced by anyone else's actually.)

So yeah - let's figure out how we all meet at The Wheel.

Eddie - has there been a game played before as a PbF that has a character sheet we can use to fill in the blanks - a template of sorts for the character page? I know when I did my Pathfinder game - there was a program we used to make it - but I'm assuming that we will need to fill them in by hand - which is OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:

It's the Sourcebook for Explorers - let me know if you do - might want to ask about the other 2 trees - etc.

I have the book, and yes, any of the EotE sourcebooks are fine to use if you'd like to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
jhhoffmann wrote:

Jak, Twi'lek pilot

--

--

Fairly similar back stories we have! I like it! (I hadn't read yours at all when I was thinking about mine - didn't want to be influenced by anyone else's actually.)

So yeah - let's figure out how we all meet at The Wheel.

Eddie - has there been a game played before as a PbF that has a character sheet we can use to fill in the blanks - a template of sorts for the character page? I know when I did my Pathfinder game - there was a program we used to make it - but I'm assuming that we will need to fill them in by hand - which is OK.

I put a template up in the character repository, feel free to use it or modify it to your purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Pilot, I'll re-write some of my back-story to explain how we have a ship. I hope to have it up later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about how Ishmael knows the rest of the crew, I'm just going to shoot some ideas here, for you guys to comment on:

- Maybe Dr. Sat patched him up (for free, so he still owes him) after a bounty went pretty rough on him? Ishmael is a pretty "debt-obsessed" character after his run in with his first target, so he'd feel like he owed the doctor one.

- Maybe the Pilot needed a mechanic, while Ishmael needed a ride. He's not the greatest mechanic (I'm thinking about getting 2-3 Int and 2 in mechanics), but he's got the skill and the background to keep a ship afloat. If the Doctor knows Jak, this would make even more sense.

- Maybe Neto and Ishmael have worked together before, Ishmael needing to track down a mark who was lying low on a feral/unknown planet. Ishmael doesn't mind sharing his pay, if it makes the job easier or more likely to succeed.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a large ammount of noob, but can someone give me a quick explanation on how to do the Geek List thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akhatosh wrote:
I'm a large ammount of noob, but can someone give me a quick explanation on how to do the Geek List thing?

First find the RPG item for your specialization deck. You're a Bounty Hunter / Gadgeteer? That's http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/153593/gadgeteer

Next goto our character geeklist at http://rpggeek.com/geeklist/171204/eddies-edge-of-the-empire... and click add item.

On the next page chose "RPG Item".

On the page after that enter the RPG item number, which for Gadgeteer is 153593.

In the Comments enter your character description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhhoffmann wrote:
As the Pilot, I'll re-write some of my back-story to explain how we have a ship. I hope to have it up later today.

I have something up now on the character list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:

I do not have access to any of the sourcebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

No worries, you only need the main book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

Nor do I have the main book. Am I hosed for playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
eddie_drood wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

Nor do I have the main book. Am I hosed for playing?

You do kinda need the main book. There is a lot of detail on character creation--it's the most detailed part of the game. There's a ton of talent skill choices (about 100 per career) that it's just not feasible to post for folks. Any chance you could pick one up?

If you can't get a book now, you could always just use a pregen character (available on FFG's website, in their free downloads for the game) that suits what you want, and change the name/background/etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, I was going to ask the exact same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |