tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished my character. I hope nobody minds I took an extra 5 obligation, but I think I'll need some armour and tools to be an effective meatshied. Right now, I see Ishmael bringing his targets in usually by brawling, using his shock gloves to take them out of commission, binding them and setting off. If it gets hairy, he has a pistol. If it gets really hairy, he has a grenade. I put a point into brawn because he's a tough bastard, and a point in willpower because he's really stubborn. Aside from that, I took a second level in mechanics because that was his previous profession. Once I'm far enough in the Gadgeteer tree, I might unlock the "Outlaw Tech" one. I like the idea of leaning heavily on modified tools and being able to modify those of the team.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Critiques? Fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have some time this afternoon and hopefully tonight to get my character wrapped up...

Buying the Explorer book was good for us for that ship... But now I'm pretty sure I will be changing my race to a Chiss... And possibly going the Indiana Jones route of Archeologist... Seriously reading about it.

And it could actually make sense why I would be chosen to help find old relics on Ruusan... I had chosen that purposefully as it was an important site for light and dark Jedi and would draw interest from the empire if any old relics were to have been found and taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also make us a little less on the racist side, what with all these humans and such. I like the idea of an archeologis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
I will have some time this afternoon and hopefully tonight to get my character wrapped up...

Just a suggestion, I think it's mentioned on some of the general PbF advice pages here on the 'geek: You usually refer to you character in the third person (he/she/it) instead of the first person (I).

This is not as critical in the character write up as in the actual IC thread. It's smoother to read:

JoeUser: Anakin flies his ship and says, "Whee!"
JimUser: Obi-Wan swings his lightsaber at Darth Maul.

than:

JoeUser: I fly my ship and say, "Whee!"
JimUser: I swing my lightsaber at Darth Maul.

The first way will read more like a story and is easier to follow through many posts. The second way will require the reader to pause and puzzle out who is talking for each post.

So yes, we are a collection of pedants here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the name of Albatross because of the idea of a bird that never stops flying, drifting eternally on...But also because the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. The albatross is both sign of good luck, said to lead sailors across the sea...But also a curse, good and bad luck in the same. Also, it's the last thing Jak has of his character. The proverbial Albatross around his neck. But hey, you're free to come up with others.

Hmmm, could also be "obsession" too. It's not really an addiction, more like a compulsion. Otherwise, I'd say oath, because you're not actually forced by an outside...Wait...Huh...Both work equally well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhhoffmann wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

Just a suggestion, I think it's mentioned on some of the general PbF advice pages here on the 'geek: You usually refer to you character in the third person (he/she/it) instead of the first person (I).

This is not as critical in the character write up as in the actual IC thread. It's smoother to read:

than:

The first way will read more like a story and is easier to follow through many posts. The second way will require the reader to pause and puzzle out who is talking for each post.

Ahhh, yes. I do remember that now from last years PbF. I will remember to do that in the IC posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
eddie_drood wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:
Quick question - do any of you have access to this book?

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=S...

It's the Sourcebook for Explorers - let me know if you do - might want to ask about the other 2 trees - etc.

Eddie - you OK with that being used at all?

I do not have access to any of the sourcebooks.

No worries, you only need the main book.

Nor do I have the main book. :( Am I hosed for playing?

You do kinda need the main book. There is a lot of detail on character creation--it's the most detailed part of the game. There's a ton of talent skill choices (about 100 per career) that it's just not feasible to post for folks. Any chance you could pick one up?

If you can't get a book now, you could always just use a pregen character (available on FFG's website, in their free downloads for the game) that suits what you want, and change the name/background/etc.

I'll find a pre-gen then. I'll post it tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neto Vrum, Human Smuggler
jhhoffmann wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

than:

I don´t like to play like that. I get more "in character" when I put myself in the skin of the char, so I usually identify my char in the subject (the little bold text in the beginning of the post), but I like to let my lines be betnween " ", and the things my char do written as usual.

I´ll just give an exemplo now:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neto Vrum, Human Smuggler
I´ll try to leave without being noticed, get outside and call my contact.

Sneak roll 1d20+7 1d20+7 = (12) + 7 = 19

As soon as I get outside, I´ll make the call.

"Jazen, are you busy? I may need something..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 520778. rdonoso
  • 1d20+7 =
  • (12) + 7 =
  • Sneak roll 1d20+7
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:20 pm
Jonathan Hoffmann
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
jhhoffmann wrote:
I think it's mentioned on some of the general PbF advice pages here on the 'geek: You usually refer to you character in the third person (he/she/it) instead of the first person (I).

I don´t like to play like that. I get more "in character" when I put myself in the skin of the char, so I usually identify my char in the subject (the little bold text in the beginning of the post), but I like to let my lines be betnween " ", and the things my char do written as usual.

OK, well I'm pretty new to PbF, I'm only a couple weeks into my first game elsewhere on the geek. I just thought that was how it was done, and it made sense to me. I don't think I can write in the first person though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think everyone should play as they like the most, as long as the players are identified!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people play PBF or Cooperative storytelling in Third person. Using first person limits descriptions and tends to head into "stream of consciousness" writing, which can be extremely hard to read. It's up to how you want to write, but third person tends to be the rule. I personally find first person writing extremely grating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm cool either way - as long as it is very easy to understand. Attempts at proper grammar are much preferred.

Oh, and if you call something LEET or call Haxxors - etc... I will plot against you with the rest of the party to ensure a quick demise through an air hatch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - one more thing. Have any of you played with character images on all of your in character posts before?

I would be OK either way - you memorize your geek image number pretty quickly - but it would look like this before each of your posts:

Sasha makes an attempt to slice the terminal that stood between her and the locked hangar bay.

Sasha exclaimed, "I'm going to use my leet haxxor skills to totally pwn this term my peeps."

But, before she was able to attempt a terminal slice - she was gagged, bound, and thrown down the garbage chute. Her party was never questioned about where she went and no one ever missed her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Use whatever voice you like! As long as everyone can tell what you are going to do, it's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys pick out portraits for your characters, I'm happy to create some PbF banners for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
Use whatever voice you like! As long as everyone can tell what you are going to do, it's all good.

And yes, my post is mostly in jest... Mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play the pre-gen bounty hunter droid, CH-1. Time to kill some meatbags!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am usually not so pulled every direction - between my failed night with no power and my nutso night at home yesterday - I still don't have mine done. I want to get my character story done before I leave work today... I can do that at the office. I'm going to go architect and will do the different race - looks more fun.

I just need to decide my skills at that point - and I will hopefully get that done tonight.

We only get 500 for gear right? Unless we take obligation to get more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
I am usually not so pulled every direction - between my failed night with no power and my nutso night at home yesterday - I still don't have mine done. I want to get my character story done before I leave work today... I can do that at the office. I'm going to go architect and will do the different race - looks more fun.

I just need to decide my skills at that point - and I will hopefully get that done tonight.

We only get 500 for gear right? Unless we take obligation to get more?

Yup, 500 it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on it tonight. I will post what I have done. Sorry to be the holdup now... My plans were ruined by that night with no power.

Edit: and looks I'm not the only hold up. I only saw 3 finished by the looks of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the Well Rounded skill work?

I can get that for 5xp. I can then pick 2 skills that become career skills. Do I then pick 2... And get them for rank 1 for free? Or do I pick the 2 that I can choose to spend xp to rank?

I assume the latter.

EDIT:
It's the latter.... I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - can I get some advice on my character sheet?

I have 20xp remaining at the moment. Anything you think I NEED to get? Anything I should undo? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |