Beyond the Rim» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Eddie's Edge of the Empire (Table 2) OOC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! This is the thread for out of game chat & discussion for table 2:

TABLE 2
Player Character Name Career/Specialization
bassoon201 ? ?
techsam2k8 ? ?
dirtybacon ? ?
Dorianvd ? ?

Throughout the game, this is where you post to discuss most anything that isn't an in-game action, statement, etc. This avoids cluttering up the "game" thread and disrupting the narrative.

This is useful for working on fleshing out the details of your characters/how they came to know each other, etc, as well as what ship the group wants to have, and any shared obligations.

Useful links:

1In-Game thread (coming soon)

2Character Repository: [geeklist=171338]Character Sheets[/geeklist]

3Rolling dice for SW: SW dice guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
When making your character, don't forget: your dice pool is attribute OR skill, whichever is higher, with dice upgraded with the lower.

e.g.

If your character (say, a colonist) has Agility 2 and Ranged, Light 1, and shoots at a battle droid in a cantina. She'll roll

2 ability dice, but 1 will be upgraded... 1customw{1:iid:1746420;2:iid:1746421;1:iid:1746423;2:iid:1746418;1:iid:1746422;1:iid:1746419} -> ( iid:1746422) -> (
) [+]

to a proficiency die 1customw{1:iid:1746449;2:iid:1746450;2:iid:1746452;1:iid:1746447;3:iid:1746451;2:iid:1746448;1:iid:1746453} -> ( iid:1746450) -> (
) [+]

GM added two difficulty dice to the shot 2customw{1:iid:1746437;1:iid:1746438;1:iid:1746439;3:iid:1746441;1:iid:1746442;1:iid:1746440} -> ( iid:1746441 iid:1746442) -> (
) [+]

-----------------------------------------------

Whereas if you are wanting to be a gunslinger...perhaps you raised Agility to 3, and raised Ranged Light to 2. (Or, ranged light 3, agility 2--same dice pool results):

Then, same scene, same cantina...

she rolls 3 ability dice, but 2 of them get upgraded... 1customw{1:iid:1746420;2:iid:1746421;1:iid:1746423;2:iid:1746418;1:iid:1746422;1:iid:1746419} -> ( iid:1746419) -> (
) [+]

to proficiency dice 2customw{1:iid:1746449;2:iid:1746450;2:iid:1746452;1:iid:1746447;3:iid:1746451;2:iid:1746448;1:iid:1746453} -> ( iid:1746452 iid:1746451) -> (
) [+]

GM adds two difficulty dice... 2customw{1:iid:1746437;1:iid:1746438;1:iid:1746439;3:iid:1746441;1:iid:1746442;1:iid:1746440} -> ( iid:1746442 iid:1746437) -> (
) [+]

-------------------------------------

In the first case, she rolls two successes, 1 advantage, and 3 setbacks.

So, she hits the battledroid and kills it, but because of the setbacks, something bad happens.

Sookie aims carefully and blasts the last battledroid-but as it collapses, it flails around and crashes into the fire alarm! As it begins to blare, Sookie knows this fight was about to get harder...

-------------------------------

In the second dice roll,

3 successes, 3 advantage, and 2 setbacks--so she succeeds and gains advantage...

Sookie aims carefully and blasts the last battledroid--and as it collapses, it flairs around and crashes into the security alarm, shorting it out! Sookie smiles to herself, realizing they can't track her in the building now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 520533. eddie_drood
  • 1customw{1:iid:1746420;2:iid:1746421;1:iid:1746423;2:iid:1746418;1:iid:1746422;1:iid:1746419} =
  • ( iid:1746422) =
  • ( iid:1746422)
  • 2 ability dice, but 1 will be upgraded...
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:33 pm
  • [+]
  • 520534. eddie_drood
  • 1customw{1:iid:1746449;2:iid:1746450;2:iid:1746452;1:iid:1746447;3:iid:1746451;2:iid:1746448;1:iid:1746453} =
  • ( iid:1746450) =
  • ( iid:1746450)
  • to a proficiency die
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:33 pm
  • [+]
  • 520535. eddie_drood
  • 2customw{1:iid:1746437;1:iid:1746438;1:iid:1746439;3:iid:1746441;1:iid:1746442;1:iid:1746440} =
  • ( iid:1746441 iid:1746442) =
  • ( iid:1746441 iid:1746442)
  • GM added two difficulty dice to the shot
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:34 pm
  • [+]
  • 520536. eddie_drood
  • 2customw{1:iid:1746437;1:iid:1746438;1:iid:1746439;3:iid:1746441;1:iid:1746442;1:iid:1746440} =
  • ( iid:1746442 iid:1746437) =
  • ( iid:1746442 iid:1746437)
  • GM adds two difficulty dice...
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:34 pm
  • [+]
  • 520537. eddie_drood
  • 1customw{1:iid:1746420;2:iid:1746421;1:iid:1746423;2:iid:1746418;1:iid:1746422;1:iid:1746419} =
  • ( iid:1746419) =
  • ( iid:1746419)
  • she rolls 3 ability dice, but 2 of them get upgraded...
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm
  • [+]
  • 520538. eddie_drood
  • 2customw{1:iid:1746449;2:iid:1746450;2:iid:1746452;1:iid:1746447;3:iid:1746451;2:iid:1746448;1:iid:1746453} =
  • ( iid:1746452 iid:1746451) =
  • ( iid:1746452 iid:1746451)
  • to proficiency dice
  • Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:35 pm
Dorian VD
Belgium
SCHERPENHEUVEL
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I will play a Droid Technician/Slicer. It will force me to roleplay differently than I'm used to. The idea is that the robot can talk, but isn't fond of engaging in conversations in inferior languages.

Concept no more in use? Name Carreer/spec
Binary snob (character quirk) R4 D6 Technician/Slicer

Is 10 pts the maximum obligation cap in this group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorianvd wrote:
I think I will play a Droid Technician/Slicer. It will force me to roleplay differently than I'm used to. The idea is that the robot can talk, but isn't fond of engaging in conversations in inferior languages.

Concept no more in use? Name Carreer/spec
Binary snob (character quirk) R4 D6 Technician/Slicer

Is 10 pts the maximum obligation cap in this group?

10 pts is not the max---but I caution against going over 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian VD
Belgium
SCHERPENHEUVEL
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you think I will miss several slicer opportunities if I'm not creating my character as a somewhat spec ops type?
The slicer spec skills reference to stealth and coordination.
Would my PC miss out a lot of R2D2 opportunities in bases if I pass on Agi skills?

I think I'm gonna make a few sample characters myself, these droids seem to take the min-max approach at character creation.
What is the deadline here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorianvd wrote:
Do you think I will miss several slicer opportunities if I'm not creating my character as a somewhat spec ops type?
The slicer spec skills reference to stealth and coordination.
Would my PC miss out a lot of R2D2 opportunities in bases if I pass on Agi skills?

I think I'm gonna make a few sample characters myself, these droids seem to take the min-max approach at character creation.
What is the deadline here?

I don't think you'd miss much, if you do not want to be stealthy. C3-P0 certainly isn't, and he got around just fine--same for R2.

The deadline is simply when everyone is happy with their character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be whatever the group needs. In fact, you can just tell me what we need and I'll start working on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmmm...a distinct lack of posting for character creation. You all are still wanting to play, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
I do indeed want to play. I will get on this. I have to review the character generation process, and then will get it completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update, I was refreshing on character creation last night, so will work ahead with this. I'm not sure where we are with the rest of the group. sorry for the delay on my part, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
Just an update, I was refreshing on character creation last night, so will work ahead with this. I'm not sure where we are with the rest of the group. sorry for the delay on my part, though.

I'm not too sure either. We'll get it sorted, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, working on my character (I'll update the character sheet when I confirm this works):

Bonn Marmot
Female Human Corellian Driver

Backstory:
Bonn was a mechanic/speeder racer that always felt way more at home with mechanical constructs then biological creatures. One day, a prince, noticing her skill on the amatuer speeder circuit, brought his overpriced speeder to her for modifications. WHile visiting with her, he became smitten. He invited her to be his date to his uncle duke's birthday. WHile she would normally pass, her father encouraged her to go.

WHile at the party, she wandered around without paying much attention to the royal family (she's brazen, so she wasn't just hiding out in the corner, Bonn just doesn't care much about royalty). She eventually came across a bartender, and was instantly attracted.

The Prince found out, and spurned by his unrequited love, made sure the bartender was sent off to work (enslaved) on a Hutt pleasure barge. He then trashed Bonn's reputation, saying that she was lousy in bed, and that her work on his speeder was defective. While Corellians hold their personal honor with huge regard, the attack on her mechanic ability was a much bigger slight to her.

So now, Bonn has decided to search out her bartender boyfriend, and exact revenge on the cowardly Prince.
----------------------------------------

So, obligation, I have 10 total:
5 for Betrayal and 5 for oath
(+5 EXP, +1000 credits)

Using starting Exp (115) I bought:
+1 to Agility
+1 to Cunning
Piloting (planetary) to level 3 (corellians are allowed)
Talents:
Gearhead
Grit
Rapid Reaction
Full Throttle

Special abilities for Explorer start with a level):
Cool
Knowledge (Lore)
Perception
Piloting (Space)

Special abilities for Driver (Start with a level):
Mechanics
Piloting (Planetary) (which was then raised with EXP)

Ambition:
Love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be 110 xp, rather than 115. Other than that looks ok so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:

The 115XP was because corellian human starts with 110xp, and I gain +5xp for the first obligation (betrayal)... Or do you see something different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
eddie_drood wrote:

The 115XP was because corellian human starts with 110xp, and I gain +5xp for the first obligation (betrayal)... Or do you see something different?

All humans start with 110 xp, but for this game, everyone gets 10 pts worth of obligation, whether it's a single 10 pt obligation, or two 5 pts.

If you went to 15 pts of obligation, you would have 115 XP to work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
So we get the 10 pts of obligation without the added bonus of benefit? In the core book, if I add +5 Obligation, I can pick +5 XP or +1000 credits.
So what your saying is to get those bonuses, I have to go beyond the initial 10? Just trying to understand.

I'll adjust my character accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
So we get the 10 pts of obligation without the added bonus of benefit? In the core book, if I add +5 Obligation, I can pick +5 XP or +1000 credits.
So what your saying is to get those bonuses, I have to go beyond the initial 10? Just trying to understand.

Exactly right. The first 10 points of obligation come with the starting points, no added benefit. To get the additional obligation benefits, you have to go past the 10 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:
dirtybacon wrote:

Exactly right. The first 10 points of obligation come with the starting points, no added benefit. To get the additional obligation benefits, you have to go past the 10 pts.

How major is taking another 5 points of Obligation? If I go to 15 total, I can keep Bonn rolled as is, since I didn't grab gear yet. I just don't have a good gauge on how big of a deal taking 5 more obligation will be. I'm leaning towards doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb

At this point, as long as not everyone does it, it's not a big deal. If all the characters do it, it can become a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll since I may be the only one at this table anymore... Lol. I'll drop full throttle from my sheet, so I won't take any extra obligation. I can still keep my two obligations to make the starting 10.

Now to shop! (Which at 500 credits gets me about a blaster and that's it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorian VD
Belgium
SCHERPENHEUVEL
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sorry, but my house has been an uplanned focus hog this week. This and preparing my roleplay group session that occured today kept me from character creation. I still want to play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorianvd wrote:
I'm sorry, but my house has been an uplanned focus hog this week. This and preparing my roleplay group session that occured today kept me from character creation. I still want to play this game.

Good thing we are all taking forever

GO ahead and roll someone up when you get a chance. Hopefully we can fill the open spots and get a game underway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
dirtybacon wrote:
Dorianvd wrote:

Good thing we are all taking forever

GO ahead and roll someone up when you get a chance. Hopefully we can fill the open spots and get a game underway.

It looks like another player may be dropping from table 1, Adrian, if you'd like to move over, I'll see about swapping you in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh. ok. I need to just buy equipment at this point (I think), then get caught up on the story. Hopefully they aren't too far along.

But since I was sitting all alone at table 2, I'm happy to join the cool kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
South Gate
California
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
eddie_drood wrote:

Good! It may not be a terribly popular option, but with a couple guys not having the book, and then not posting much...eesh. It bogs a fast-moving game like EotE down too much.

Not having the core book, or another? I have them all, but have so far only played just a beginner session, but I think I have a grasp of what's going on.

(As a note, I have the beyond the rim book, but haven't cracked it open at all. I am very big on not knowing what is going to happen, so I won't be spoiling it - which also means I'll be making lots of dumb moves! cool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |