Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: QOTD Mar 21: What's on your bucket list of RPGs you want to try and why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] [View All]
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition) - I played it a couple of times and thought it really sucked although I've since decided it was probably the GM so I'd like to try it again.

There are probably more, I'll add them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai S.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Drama Llama Roleplaying Society
mbmbmbmbmb
Mummy: The Curse - I read the corebook and didn't like it - mostly because I think it doesn't work the way the designers intended it to. I want to give this a try just to validate my original opinion.

Dungeon World - so far I like most AW-Engine games I've played. Maybe this one is finally a game that will bring my love of fantasy games back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al P
Norway
Orkanger
Sør Trondelag
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll 2nd that for Dungeon World

I'd be interested in giving 13th Age a go. I've enjoyed my pbf of pathfinder but I think that's more the other players and GM than it is the system. 13th age seems more in the direction I'd like, system wise.

Not being immersed enough in the rpg world those are the only ones that come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Thulhu?
Mexico
Sonora
flag msg tools
|)@r+# +#¿£#¿
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming Firefly game (similiar to but evolved from the Serenity game). Haven't played either, and want to run around the Verse badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mouse Guard - It seems like such a well designed game, but I need to find a group that groks playing mouse characters.

Call of Cthulhu - For the same reason Steve has. Only played once, horrible GM, and it definitely deserves another chance.

Far West Adventure Game - Because that would mean it exists.

King Arthur Pendragon (5th Edition) - Which should happen in the next few months. I had successful runs with 1st and 3rd editions, but I want to try again and really make some progress through The Great Pendragon Campaign.

Something in the Action / Adventure (Swashbuckling / Pirates) genre - I've been real close to getting 7th Sea and Honor + Intrigue on the table, but I keep talking myself out of it. I think the genre would be a good fit for our regular group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots! I have a lot of gaming to look forward to!

Aboard the Death Ship because it sounds like a lot of fun. Who wouldn't want to explore a derelict ship around a gas giant?
Amber Diceless Role-Playing because Amber is wonderfully convoluted, and the backstabbery would be a pleasant change.
Army of Darkness Roleplaying Game because ARMY OF DARKNESS... really, do I have to pull out my boom-stick to make you understand?
Ars Magica (5th Edition) because it sounds like a world I would really enjoy. I love quasi-Medieval fantasy!
Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures because this: "Inspired by the works of Ursula K. LeGuin and Lloyd Alexander." That sold me on it.
Deadlands Noir because: I love Savage Worlds, and my husband loves Noir, so this could potentially be a good mix.
Doctor Who Roleplaying Game because I love the show - all of it. Every incarnation of the Doctor.
Fate 3.0 because of good things I've heard about it, and because it could be potentially easier to build the game worlds I want to play (basically, I'd want to GM this more than be a player.)
Fiasco because sometimes you just want everything to go horribly wrong in the best sort of way.
Hollowpoint because who doesn't want to be the bad-ass anti-hero in a over-the-top action gore-fest?
Horror on the Orient Express because it sounds epic, and I've love to play this, especially with my husband, who loves Cthulhu.
Intrepid because I love storytelling games.
Lady Blackbird because it sounds awesome! And steampunk! Yay!
Lamentations of the Flame Princess because it sounds awesome - and has "Flame Princess" in the title...
Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game because the books are so incredibly awesome.
Macho Women with Guns (1st & 2nd Editions) because of the image on the back of the manual. Not going to lie, it's a great image!
Og (Unearthed Edition) because who doesn't want to fight dinosaurs?
The Palladium Role-Playing Game because I like the old sword-and-sorcery type games and playing this would round-out my collection. Not to mention I do own one Palladium book, and it would be nice to use it.
Part-Time Gods because I once read a short-story with this premise that was amazing - and because I'd love to run a campaign of this.
Private Eye (4th Edition) because I like Sherlock Holmes, as does my husband and many of the members of my current gaming group. So this sounds like a game we would very much like to play.
Starblazer Adventures because "British science fiction space opera" how can you not love that? My current RPG group seems to love all things space opera, so this would be great!
Vast & Starlit because I've heard great things about it and I am intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, let's see....

Mouse Guard 'Cause I loved Redwall and this is as close as can be!

Historia Rodentia Got the book, runs on (Mongoose's) Legend. Loads of world info that I just don't have time to read atm so would love to play in someone else's game first.

Doctor Who Roleplaying Game Though I get the feeling it might be ME that runs this for other people lol

13th Age 'cause it sounds cool!

Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition) This is an RPG *ITEM* as I've played plenty of CoC but want to be in a major event of this game!

I think that's about it for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford "Bring back Ernie" (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

Starblazer Adventures because "British science fiction space opera" how can you not love that? My current RPG group seems to love all things space opera, so this would be great!

The company who own Starblazer have lost/relinquished/decided not to renew their licence of this and so they are holding a MASSIVE sale on DriveThruRPG/RPGNow of it.

I bought:
* Starblazer Adventures
* Legends of Anglerre
* The Legends of Anglerre Companion

all for just £9.04 (overcharged by a penny as they are £3.01 each! lol).

So go grab yourself a bargain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

The company who own Starblazer have lost/relinquished/decided not to renew their licence of this and so they are holding a MASSIVE sale on DriveThruRPG/RPGNow of it.

I bought:
* Starblazer Adventures
* Legends of Anglerre
* The Legends of Anglerre Companion

all for just £9.04 (overcharged by a penny as they are £3.01 each! lol).

So go grab yourself a bargain!
Oooo - thanks for that! Will do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying
Lady Blackbird
Both games that I've got and have read, but can't understand well enough to feel confident GMing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I've actually gotten to try a lot of games. But what would go in this list...

Sagas of the Icelanders: I dearly love the idea of playing a game about year-to-year community and survival, with Viking overtones.
Pendragon: Generation-to-generation knightly adventure with character-driven mechanics? I'm sold! I can't not give this a shot...
Dread: I'm thinking of trying to run this as a Halloween game for some of my friends. I just love the idea of such a tension-focused system with an easy-to-grasp mechanic, and it sounds like a killer execution.
Dogs in the Vineyard: a well-known game with some dynamite subject matter. Keen to give it a shot.

That's just for starters, I think. There's probably a lot of games I'm not thinking of. But those are the big ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning Empires- I have a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around the structure of play. There is something compelling her that I just can't quite grasp.
Dresden Files- I like the fate system, like the world, love the city and character generation. I am the only one in my group who's read the books.
Dogs in the Vineyard- the setting is interesting and the mechanics are neat. I think this one could have legs with my players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok I have the core rulebook and it's really pretty with a nice theme and interesting sounding system. Now I just want to actually play it.

Fate System Everyone is always talking about Fate but I've never gotten to try it or any games using the system so I'd like to check it out.

L5R 4th Edition Or any edition. I've never been completely obsessed with samurai but I'd still love to give this a shot.

Clockwork & Chivalry The theme just sounds so cool and not like a lot of what you see. I must play it.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashen Stars - I have the book and currently GMing a ToC PbF game to get an idea of the GUMSHOE system.

Fate Core System - Again, have the book and read all the glowing reviews. Think I want to run an Indiana Jones type Adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I really don't know...
There are lots of RPGs I want to play, but none are really on my "bucket list".

Well, I suppose F.A.T.A.L. might be there. Not because I want to play it, but because of it's infamy, I really feel like I ought to experience the horribleness of it at least once if I call myself an RPGer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I hate that a couple of you fine folks had such bad experiences with Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition). It has long been my favorite RPG! Hope you get a chance to give it another shot!

My list-

Fate Core System Have been reading it and really digging it! Would love to see it in action.

Numenera Again, have read some of it. Would love to see how the GM captures the setting and tone.

Mouse Guard Read some of this and failed to get my brain wrapped around it. Love Mouse Guard and would like to see how this one works.

Fiasco Loving this one! Looks like one my kids would enjoy as well. Would like to play before trying to run, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
So many ---

Mouse Guard / Burning Wheel / Burning Empires / Torchbearer: Probably this would only work if everyone was intimate with the system.

Something that uses Fate: On paper I really wanna like this.

Eclipse Phase: it's been on my list for a really long time and now someone's running it here! Check.

Apocalypse World: I'm ok with the sex thing/mechanic that others have already mentioned turned them away, but I'm not really sure how that might play out. Depends on the group I guess.

Call of Cthulhu: I've always really admired the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign/adventure/epic/thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'cause life is just a dream here; You know inside you feel right at home here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Who Roleplaying Game - yes I've played it, but I really want to run a proper campaign.

Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay - I also want to play a lot more games of Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader.

Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition) - I've never GM'd a COC adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - really want to try FATE (so far just run a solo adventure for my 9 year old), love the books, really like the city generation. Someday one of the guys in our group says he will run it. So want to play.

Far West Adventure Game - really like what I've seen in my hardcover and the bonus stuff is really great
(sorry Bruce, couldn't resist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Efland
NC
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really excited about Night Witches, Jason Morningstar's [Designer of Fiasco] new game about soviet airwomen on the East front during WWII.

I recently picked up Our Last Best Hope so that's on my list for sure.

Also psyched to try some LARPS from the Factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to prioritize! There are lots that I'd like to play, but these are the ones at the top of the list

The Burning Wheel Gold - hoping to knock this one off the list very soon

Tenra Bansho Zero - this has some really clever mechanics, but it's a genre with which I am unfamiliar

Sagas of the Icelanders - a very different look at "Vikings" and it looks like it could support some cool long-term stories

Whitehack - a great distillation of D&D, OSR but not shying away from modern mechanical innovations (inside and outside of the D&D tradition)

Archipelago and/or Intrepid - GM-less story-focused fantasy games sound intriguing, but I don't really understand how they work

Project Ninja Panda Taco - silly fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Savage worlds once i get it downtown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: Is this as a GM or as a player?

nemesis13 wrote:
Dungeon World - so far I like most AW-Engine games I've played. Maybe this one is finally a game that will bring my love of fantasy games back.
For me Barbarians of Lemuria did the trick. I'm also loving BareBones Fantasy.

Bifford wrote:
Hmm, let's see....

Mouse Guard 'Cause I loved Redwall and this is as close as can be!

Historia Rodentia Got the book, runs on (Mongoose's) Legend. Loads of world info that I just don't have time to read atm so would love to play in someone else's game first.
You might want to check out Hyperborean Mice, a really well-done game of Rodent Sword & Sorcery. Also, though I'm not very familiar with it myself, Woodland Warriors may be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend of the Five Rings (4th Edition); it's a fantastically rich setting, and I like the difference in culture compared to the standard medieval western style fantasy.

Eclipse Phase (First Edition); it, too, is an awesome setting. I like the fact that the authors did some science homework before writing it.

Reign; I like the One-Roll Engine in general, but I think it's better suited for fantasy than supers, and I'd like to verify that.

Mutant City Blues; who wouldn't want to play a police drama with mutant powers?

And I'm sure I'll think of about three or four more as soon as I hit 'Submit'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try very hard to avoid bucket lists. I am not the kind of morbid weirdo who feels it necessary to keep track of how soon he can die with a list. (I'm a different kind of morbid weirdo.)

EDIT: I thought differently about the question. I have added F.A.T.A.L. to my list. (Since I have no plans of ever playing F.A.T.A.L. I may never die!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |