Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rockalypse
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Magic Cards
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Escape the Underdark
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Odd Soot
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Universe (2nd Edition)
The Drenslaar Quest
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 11 - Mar 1983)
Black Fire Pass
Tome of Adventure Design
Pathfinder Pawns: Bestiary Box
Numenera
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tech Support
Doors to Darkness
Genesys Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Chopsticks and Dropkicks / 37th Chamber of Shaolin
Yaztromo 35mm Figure
Star Frontiers
Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition
Unearthed Arcana
A Penny for My Thoughts
GURPS High-Tech (Fourth Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,424 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
743 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: Play-by-Forum - Participant Badges Available! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF [+] RPGG:Play-by-Forum [+] [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're pleased to announce a new series of award microbadges for RPG Geek play-by-forum participation!

mb Play-by-Forum - Copper Participant (2+ points)
mb Play-by-Forum - Silver Participant (5+ points)
mb Play-by-Forum - Golden Participant (10+ points)
mb Play-by-Forum - Platinum Participant (20+ points)
mb Play-by-Forum - Herculean Participant (40+ points)
mb Play-by-Forum - Ultimate Participant (100+ points)

We've had these in the works for some time. The problem: how to evaluate and "score" the three levels. We had some really wild ideas - all of which ended up as too complicated. In the end, we've decided to award these based on this simple concept:

Number of play-by-forum games you have participated in, actively, on RPG Geek.

Now the fine print rules... we are counting "points", not games. Here is how you get points:

1 point for any game you played either to completion or lasted 3 months.
1 additional bonus point if the game lasted 1 year (to help balance longer campaign games from shorter ones)

GMs count just the same as players using the two bullet points above.

The badges are cumulative - so if you qualify for Silver, you also get Copper. If you qualify for Gold, you get Copper and Silver as well.

To claim your free participation microbadges, simply post below with your point total. We reserve the right to double check, but mostly are taking you at your word!

GMs: Please share a link to this post with your players!

Edit: We are allowing GMs of either side-wide adventure (Mountains of Madness, Dungeon of Doom) to count those as 1 point each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Ho ho home by Christmas!
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to play more...

mbDr. Paul Odko was my Trail of Cthulhu character in: Eternal Lies, Act I, II, and III (from January 2014 to December 2015).

mbAbelard was my Black Crusade character in: Rivals for Glory, Palace of Khardz, Midnight Mass, A Perfect Storm, The Pale Lens, Via Pestis, Tower of Glass, and Turning the Tide (from July 2013 to October 2015).

So, that's still just four points (copper), two for each campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, if there's an on-going campaign, but that campaign contains several adventures, how do you count the points? Should you count 1 point for each completed adventure, or one for the whole campaign? I'd count one for each completed adventure, which would raise Damon's points to 5, but I might be wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Dave, if there's an on-going campaign, but that campaign contains several adventures, how do you count the points? Should you count 1 point for each completed adventure, or one for the whole campaign? I'd count one for each completed adventure, which would raise Damon's points to 5, but I might be wrong

We rejected the idea of counting by scenario or adventures within a campaign. Too variable based on GM style. The formula is simple - you get a point for every game you participate in... and a bonus point if it has run longer than a year.

Damon's calculations are correct. 2 points. It will raise to 3 next month when the year anniversary for the campaign comes around.

No formula we use will be fair to everyone - it's one of the reasons these participation badges have taken so long to get out. But we must start somewhere and the thresholds are low enough that we can at least get some of these badges into the hands of those making Play-by-Forum so awesome on RPG Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

We rejected the idea of counting by scenario or adventures within a campaign. Too variable based on GM style. The formula is simple - you get a point for every game you participate in... and a bonus point if it has run longer than a year.

Damon's calculations are correct. 2 points. It will raise to 3 next month when the year anniversary for the campaign comes around.

No formula we use will be fair to everyone - it's one of the reasons these participation badges have taken so long to get out. But we must start somewhere and the thresholds are low enough that we can at least get some of these badges into the hands of those making Play-by-Forum so awesome on RPG Geek!

Thanks for the clarification

I did count every letter of Do toward one point, as one letter is one game after which people can jump in or out, even though I did play with one group for more than a year, I think. Every letter has it's beginning and ending after which some of us did switch characters too and retired the one they were playing before. Just to make sure I didn't miscount, do those letter count as one point each since it's not a campaign per se?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
1 point + 1 bonus point: Played Kaine in vestige's awesome Margreve campaign, which started in August 2011 and was completed, after a prelude and 3 chapters, on March 10, 2014. That's 2 years and 6 months!!!!!

1 point + 1 bonus point: Ran a basic D&D campaign (Threats of the Past that began in May 2011, and ran until Oct 2013, when it went on indefinite hiatus with the party still in the dungeon.

1 point + 1 bonus point: Ran a 4e D&D game (The Great Depression, which started in Aug 2011 and ran until Jan 2013 (almost completed).

1 point: Played Dorvik in Dave's AD&D Winter's Curse game which ran from Nov 2011 to March 2012 (completed).

1 point: Played Robert Jones in Karl's Eclipse Phase Port of Call game, which ran from Oct 2012 to Feb 2013 (completed).

1 point: Ran a Hackmaster Basic game (White Palette, Ivory Horns) from Jan 2012 through Oct 2012 (completed).

1 point: Played Marissa in the Callisto RPG game, Alura, run by Anthony. Played to completion from March 2014 to May 2014.

There are about 3 more (call of cthulhu, hollow earth expedition, and star trek TNG) that actually ended before 1 year... but I just re-read the requirements and as long as they went 3 months they are worth a point, so... 1 point for each of those plus the bonus points for the over-1-year campaigns equals... 13 points and a gold badge! yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I ever played in a game that ran longer then 1 year so this would be easy enough to do:

1. Call of Cthulhu: A day on the Subway - Play thread - finished
2. Call of Cthulhu - Sucker Punch Play-By-Forum Thread - cancelled (ran +3 months)
3. Finger Biter: IC - finished
4. [IC] The next world - finished
5. [IC] Candle in the window - finished
6. Pirates - Blue Squadron - IC - finished
7. Pirates - Red Squadron - IC - finished
8. The Jericho Vigil. Mission 1: Needle in a green stack - finished
9. The Jericho Vigil. Mission 2: Service at Prize's End - finished
10. Fatal Redress - Still running
11. State Prison FTL group 1 - finished
12. Transatlantic - The Drop Bears - cancelled (ran +3 months)
13. Dawn's Rosy Fingers Dip into the Wine Dark Sea - cancelled (ran +3 months)
14. Dark Heart of the Amazon IC Thread - finished
15. Flashes in the Dark - finished
16. Breakout [Avengers - Issue #1a] - finished
17. A town called Grant [Avengers - Issue #2c]. - finished
18. If it wasn't for you meddling kids! - Story - finished
19. Against the Savages [IC] - finished
20. The Art and War [IC] - finished
21. A wild night - Still running
22. The People at the End of Time [IC] - finished
23. The People at the End of Time [IC] - finished
24. Winters Light: Mission 1 - cancelled - cancelled (ran +3 months)

I'm impressed, I never thought I played in this many games already. I'm glad I'm keeping a Lifetime list, helped me to get a good overview quickly.

So at least 22 points, good for gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
I did count every letter of Do toward one point, as one letter is one game after which people can jump in or out, even though I did play with one group for more than a year, I think. Every letter has it's beginning and ending after which some of us did switch characters too and retired the one they were playing before. Just to make sure I didn't miscount, do those letter count as one point each since it's not a campaign per se?

Yeah, it's not easy and it's not black-and-white. You can make your own judgment here. Obviously some GMs can now split up their games such that they say "this campaign is over, we are starting another and you are all welcome to join" and count that as a new point (well, after the requisite 3 months anyway). We don't want people gaming the system - but we admit that this isn't quite cut-and-dried.

Here's the deal... you are clearly a heavy PbF participant and have played and GMs plenty of games. To me that feels "golden". Anything we do here can be "gamed" but I want to lay down some basic formula with which people can gauge their level of participation with some clarity. Do your best to evaluate yourself based on the criteria we've laid out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

Yeah, it's not easy and it's not black-and-white. You can make your own judgment here. Obviously some GMs can now split up their games such that they say "this campaign is over, we are starting another and you are all welcome to join" and count that as a new point (well, after the requisite 3 months anyway). We don't want people gaming the system - but we admit that this isn't quite cut-and-dried.

Here's the deal... you are clearly a heavy PbF participant and have played and GMs plenty of games. To me that feels "golden". Anything we do here can be "gamed" but I want to lay down some basic formula with which people can gauge their level of participation with some clarity. Do your best to evaluate yourself based on the criteria we've laid out.

I didn't do that, but I only played I think 3 letters. I just count the three letters as one game of Do. But I do understand your thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I won't spend too much thinking about the Do letters, as I just realised that even if I counted only the separate Do threads (three newbie games + two other games with different groups) and let the one that has been going on for more than year count as only one point, I've got 10+ points from all the other games. So I therefore helped myself to all the three badges

Sorry about all these question, I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I've GMed:

1. My (first) Margreve Campaign (+1 bonus)
2. The Citadel of Flame
3. My (second) Margreve Campaign (+1 bonus)
4. Who's Afraid of the Dystopian Wolf? (+1 bonus)
5. White Plume Mountain (+1 bonus)

Games I've Played: (to completion of at least one adventure)

1. Paz's Master of the Fallen Fortress
2. Dark Council (+1 bonus)
3. Diaspora - Local Group
4. An Arl's Ransom
5. Basic D&D (+1 bonus)
6. Planetary Gothic (+1 bonus)
7. The Barstow Bandits
8. Port of Call
9. Town and Gown
10. In Service to Lore
11. To Delve the Dungeon Deep
12. A Vision of Betrayal
13. Dragon Slayers
14. Alura (may not count because almost all of the action was email)
15. Frisson

Others Played: (for at least three months, but not completion)

1. Medraut on the Shore (+1 bonus)
2. Castle Caldwell

That's 30 points, I think, so gold for me, please!

Putting this list together, I'm surprised to find how few games in which I have participated disintegrated before their time - just five (two didn't even make 3 months, while two had already completed substantial adventures). Out of 24 groups, that is pretty good.

Thanks to everyone for getting these made and distributed! You all rock!

Edit: to present the info better and add a few games I had forgotten, and to say thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
badge
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much. I stopped counting at 10.

Edit: wow, that didn't take long! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm at 6 points. I'd need to go back and look. At the very least I know I'm at 5.

2 points for Saltmarsh/Enon Tor - This one is still technically going so I'm counting it even though the party is all currently asleep in a pirate cave. Thanks for that ill-timed sleep spell Lee!

2 points for Tomb of Horrors - Not sure how long we played before I rode my warhorse Buttercup into a steam/mud bath. I'm thinking it was right around a year when Ulric met his maker.

1 point for Daggervale - started October last year so not quite a year.

Damn Si, you weren't kidding. That was quick.

Thanks Dave!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(((100% real name)))
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My PbF games are listed on my profile page. I have counted 13 finished games with +2 bonus points, so the total is 15 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bavo T.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Point: Only War - 19th Thranosian Guard: 19/01/2014 - 26/04/2014, died due to inactivity

1 point: Only War - Sammy Snijbonen's Against the Savages: 03/11/2013 - 28/04/2014, died due to inactivity

1 Point: The One Ring - Into the Wild: 29/01/2014 - 22/05/2014, died due to DM departure

0 Point: Unpublished - The Ship Moves: 04/03/2014 - now, still going

So, three points. Copper! And a lot of room to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm silver and yes please! GM'd Retribution to completion, participated in 3 other games as player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si OldschoolDM
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Do not go gentle into that good night
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have 4 points
Copper would seem to be the colour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do playtests count?

Because if so, I have one PbF that is finished in that case...
1 Point: Play by Forum presents: Play-test 1: Ferol & Mak'tularn and the Order of Fried Cheese.

And I have three that will be at the three months mark this upcoming week:

1 Point: Legend - started March 2, 2014 (as seen here) (in progress)
1 Point: Swords & Wizardry - started March 5, 2014 (as seen here) (in progress)
1 Point: Monster of the Week - started March 6, 2014 (as seen here) (in progress)

So far, all would be worth 1 point, so by the 6th I should have 4 points. (I'm willing to wait until June 6th for the badge - but wanted to post here so I don't forget!)

I've started two new games this last week too, so it is possible that sometime this year I'll get silver! Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Do playtests count?

Sure! I don't see why not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at my list here RPG and I - a journey to the dark side. I have at least 10 on the first two pages I'm gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Do playtests count?

Sure! I don't see why not.

Sweet! And thanks for the shiny copper badge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I just have 2 points, so copper for me.

I have completed these two games (and each ran for 3+ months):
IC thread #1: "As the Stomach Churns"
New Tricks of the Pilgrims - Story Thread (Newbie PbF 2014)

I have just started these so they don't give me any points yet:
Rappan Athuk Campaign [IC] Thread – Ch. 1, Zelkor's Ferry
IC thead "Riding the Murder train!"
2014 Newbie PbF Initiative - Devourers in the Mist IC Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I have a few ongoing PbFs but I know two won't qualify for another month or so. The two from the newbie initiative should be enough to just squeak 2 points though.

MotW Port St. John - started 6th of March (in progress)

Scourge of Hallid - started 2nd of March (in progress)

edit: Thanks for the shiny badge!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I had only completed two when I first posted this.

LotFP Weird Corners of the Earth Campaign IC thread [MATURE] and Winter's Curse - (IC) In Character Thread, neither of which lasted a year.

I also played in Thracia 2012 - Chapter 1 - The Lost City of Thracia which lasted from February to August of 2012 before it finally fizzled out.

I recently completed running my contribution to this year's Newbie PbF initiative: Newbie PBF Initiative 2014 - The Mote in the Serpent's Eye: IC thread, which ran for five months.

The Pathfinder "Shards of Sin" Pbf that I have been playing in has been going for well over a year now.

Stalled, A PBF of the DCC Module "Sailors on the Starless Sea" that lasted almost four months.

On hold, A PBF of the Swords and Wizardry adventure, Rappan Athuk, which lasted well over three months.

Completed, a LotFP adventure that lasted over three months and landed me in N/A "Survivor's Hall of Fame" Geeklist.

Completed, Well of the Worm [IC], and we only lost one character in the process!

Total points: 9

Several more in the works, though. If I got points for simply following games, I'd have scored much better! I've put up a link to this thread for my Newbie PBFers.

*Edit* Updated with more games that are either stalled or still ongoing. I have now passed silver level and am closing in on gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go:

As a player:
[IC] Rahasia (B7), Part 1 (Started in september and still going strong)

Masks of Nyarlathotep with Cthulhu Dark (IC), Part I - New York City
Masks of Nyarlathotep with Cthulhu Dark (IC), Part II - London (These two entries count as 1 point as they are part of the same campaign)

PFS: Bearpaw's Thornkeep - The Accursed Halls - Table 2 [IC] (Completed)
The Middle Marches [IC] [Mature] (Died when GM stopped posting, lasted for 4 months)

4 points.

As a GM:
Mister Corbitt [IC] -2014 initiative (Will hit the three month mark in 5 days, so I'll claim the extra point then!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.