Lairs, Dens and Burrows
Heart of the Lizard
Atomic Heroes
The Stellar Beacon (Summer 2019)
Annihilation Rising (1E)
Bob, Lord of Evil Gamemaster Screen
Angmar: Land of the Witch King
Blue Rose (1st Edition)
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Mythic Game Master Emulator
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Lady Blackbird
Drowning and Falling
Catapult Run
Bob, Lord of Evil
Microscope
Savage Worlds Deluxe
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
167 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Black Crusade» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: The Pale Lens [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
IC || OOC || wiki

Scenario 5. Look at first OOC post for more.

Current players are:
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Aaron S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Characters:
Ferrus Havelock
Cain
Abelard
Rosenberg

NPCs and Locations
Qergulan - The planet you are on
Austral Tear - The ship you came on
Lord Radalle - Captain of the Austral Tear
Ellar and Maree dela Rue - Wife an Husband, going to Qergulan to study the rocks. Weird and possibly cultists
Pamena - Seems to be the leader of the women on Qergulan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The Austral Tear
You spend weeks within the ship, the sudden victory at Thermorb seems somewhat hollow now, since you weren't there to savor the moment. You finally reach the Thirteenth Station of Passage, and all that changes. The envious stares you get tell you that everyone knows - know you are heretics to be reckoned with.

The daemon-ship you have made has a mind of is own, and it intends to travel towards the centre of the Screaming Vortex. You are not ready for this, and try to find alternatives. It is Ferrus who finds an answer. 

At the fringe of the Calixis sector is a planet known as Qergulan. It is a tiny moonlet, circling a set of twin, dead stars. Every 133 years a strange phenomena takes place. The two dead stars align directly with the Screaming Vortex. This happening is known as the Pale Lens, as the both the sky and twin stars take on a beautiful whitish glow. While this phenomena has been described by Imperial scholars as being natural, some also say there are certain occult effects  which takes place. Ferrus and Cain are eager to uncover the mystery, if there is any.

To investigate this for yourself, you have booked passage on the Austral Tear. It is a small merchant ship, under the command of the disgraced Rogue Trader Lord Radalle. Still seen as part of the Imperium, many know he trades with heretics to support his crumbling dynasty. Only the Austral Tear remains of his House, and trading in the fringes of the Screaming Vortex is the best he can do.

Like the ship, Qergulan too is seen as an Imperial planet, but most know that is only on paper. Several times since it has been settled, Scintilla has sent forces to kill Chaos-tainted settlers. The current colony herd certain types of rare animals that thrive in the oxygen and gravity low environment, and it is suspected that their allegiance to the Imperium is paper-thin.

The trip to Qergulan is short, only a month. You are a week into your journey.

Slow start, still missing Abelard's XP and rolls. Feel free to explore the environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Rosenberg questions several locals in an attempt to find someone with occult knowledge pertaining to the Pale Lens.

Charm (39) 1d100 = (38) = 38

Also, I assume that the Pale Lens is said to take place this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 572039. samus98
  • 1d100 =
  • (38) =
  • Charm (39)
  • Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:22 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Your are still on the ship. and, yes , the pale lens is soon.

Rosenberg gets access to the ship's library, and learn that Qergulan has a bad reputation in the Imperium. Not only has the population there become cultists on several occations, but scholars going there on research has often gone mad, or has been executed on their return. There is also an uncofirmed story of an Elder killing himself. Despite these stories, there has never been any outside chaos force near the planet, it has always occured inside to colony.

Rosenberg also learn that there are other travelers on their way to Qergulan. Ellar and Maree dela Rue. They are husband and wife Imperial geologists. The fact that they are going to Qergulan on this ship might indicate that their cover isn't entirely true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Secondary objective: See the Pale Lens.
Secondary objective: Discover if there is any occult element to the Pale Lens.
Primary objective: Reap any benefit there is to be had from the Pale Lens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
They are on our ship? I want to go talk to them. Non-menacingly and press them on what they are going to Qergulan for.

Roll in case you need it 1d100 = (82) = 82
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 574132. samus98
  • 1d100 =
  • (82) =
  • Roll in case you need it
  • Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:34 am
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The Dela Rues live in a small cargo bay, which as been made into a cabin and work space. There are piles of books there, and other stuff they would need for an expedition into dangerous environments.

They don't seem at all worried to see Rosenberg, Ellar walks up to him when he enters the chamber, "Ah, a fellow traveler? Going to Qergulan as well?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Not just any traveler. The Eternity Reapers. Perhaps you heard of what happened to Thermorb? I'm curious, what brings two geologists to Qergulan?

Rosenberg adjusts the scalps on his shoulder as he probes these two for more information on their true intentions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You know you've switched ships, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fixed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Ellar laughs, "Yes, I have actually. The Imperium is full of talk about it. I really should be angry, it was one of the planets I wanted to visit. Such interesting rocks. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to talk to the captain"

Ellar walks out, and leaves you with his wife, Maree. She walks over the Rosenberg and places a hand on his chest, "You are Rosenberg, aren't you? I hope so, I have heard such interesting things..."

To Rosenberg, they both seem mad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Apparently, I remain in my quarters and interact with nobody during the trip.

It's almost like I haven't been here at all. I'm so confused... Oh well, back to sleep.

I will be away until Friday/Saturday August 1/2, job related travel. Abelard will remain out of sight unless somebody wants to control him until my return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Have a nice trip, I'll have things moving slowly in both games until you return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
My kind of company!

Rosenberg checks the color of Maree's skin...not quite the right shade for my next supplicant. He finds a seat nearby.

All very interesting I'm sure, but what I really want to talk about is Qergulan. What are your plans once you get there? And how is it that you two came to know our...fine captain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
She follows him as he walks across the floor, but instead of sitting down beside him, she seats herself on his lap. "Qergulan has such fascinating rocks. They don't really fit the geology of the planet, at the same time, they are very old. Worth looking into, don't you think? We don't really know the captain, but there aren't that many ships going to Qergulan. My dear husband is careful, that's all. Captains tend to know - things."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Such willing flesh. She is trying to entice me for some gain...perhaps I can use this to the compact's advantage.

So old things things interest you? Perhaps I can show you something back in my room. A small item I picked up on Sacgrave.

Rosenberg sucks his teeth sickly.

And it would give us even more privacy.

Want to see her reaction to the idol, and also would eventually like to turn her against her husband in an attempt to find their true purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Maree smiles as she sees the figure, ” That looks very nice indeed, but I was actually hoping for the statue you have in your pants.” She grins wickedly.

Rosenberg has three options:
1. Go along with it. We cut the scene, and make some sort of skill roll to see what the pillow talk gets him.
2. He leaves.
3. He does something total different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
He goes along with it.

Pillow Talk 1d100 = (15) = 15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 576313. samus98
  • 1d100 =
  • (15) =
  • Pillow Talk
  • Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:48 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Exhausted, Rosenberg returns to his cabin. The last six hours was a blur, he barely remembers anything. He remember Maree was naked, her body corrupted in the most pleasing ways.

She also told Rosenberg she had been to Qergulan before. She was no longing to get back. Rosenberg almost gets the sense she feels that her regular life is constrained, and that only on Qergulan will she find freedom. It is clear that she belives arrival there will start a new chapter in her life.

In his cabin Abelard is having the strangest dreams. He is standing on a barren grey planet, watching a pale, blue sun in the distance. Then the planet starts to move slight up and down, as it were breathing; and the sky turns redder for every exhale.

Rosenberg gets 3 corruption, Abelard gets one.
Jason is being awfully quiet, so I sent him a message. We are still on the ship, so if any of you want to do anything else on board, this is the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Whaa, oh bad dreams..."

Abelard awakes, reassures himself it was just a dream, and records the detail of the dream. Then drifts back off into slumber.

Could be important...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm okay with getting to Qergulan. Nothing else comes to mind that I need to do on the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am sort of wondering where Jason is, that's why I am moving slowly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pale Lens is an intriguing phenomenon and over the course of the trip Ferrus decides that he must investigate recorded accounts of it. He peruses the Seneschal's library, with permission or without, in hopes of uncovering any precautions that need to be taken or events to prepare for. He finds some difficulty in working with his new arm and decides to re-purpose Kyner as a portable book stand.

Knowledge (just about anything): 1d100 = (12) = 12(68)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 580658. merashin
  • 1d100 =
  • (12) =
  • Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:21 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Pouring over the books, Ferrus can find several stories about the ancient history of Qergulan. It is rumored it once was a part of a great empire, before the Imperium reclaimed this space or even before the Screaming Vortex was created.

No one has found evidence of this, except for the strange crystals which can be found on Qergulan and don't seem to have developed naturally.

You reach the planet, and prepare the leave for the surface in a shuttle. The Captain, Lord Radalle, is there overseeing the operation. Outside the stars shine dimly, and the planet looks grey and foreboding.

After explaining he will be back in three weeks, Lord Radalle take you aside for a moment, "I have some news you might be interested in. I have picked up chatter from a vessel nearby. Probably not in the system, but close. It seems Imperial, but I only have a name, The Hope of Luna."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ahhh, thank you for this bit of info. More fodder for the fire. Anything of interest in that chatter, or just enough to know they are nearby?

I would like to shadow Maree and Ellar to see if anything interesting happens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.