Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dinky Dungeons
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Courts of Stone
LOAD ""
OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game
Grimtina's Guard
Kids on Bikes
Ironsworn
Black Void
D&D Essentials Kit
Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
Trail of Cthulhu
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Melee
Powers & Perils (Basic Set)
Catapult Run
Big Rubble
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Amazing Tales
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Forbidden Lands Card Deck
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Magical Kitties Save the Day
No Future
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
The Scroll or the Blade
GM's Maps 87: Warehouse
Highfell
Sanderson Distillery
Lokis: Sacred Isles of the Northmen
Death Star Technical Companion
Cyberspace
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
932 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [38] | 

Eternal Lies» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Eternal Lies Campaign. Act 2 — Part 1 [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
IC || OOC || wiki

This is the first IC-thread for my Eternal Lies campaign. Let me first warn that this thread will be full of spoilers for the campaign.

Current players are:
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Sometimes it just gets to be too much...
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Characters:
Dr. Paul Odko
Alfred Elliott
Professor Roman Sagris
Father Carl Meinardus
Doctor Eron Reinhartz

Retired Character:
Dr. Evelyn Malley - Retired
Dorothy Astor - Dead
Dr. Ernest Wagner - Missing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
A short summary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Eternal Lies Campaign. Act 2 [IC]
Alfred pulls his flask and takes a swig as he drives back towards the Janet's plane to meet the others. Alcohol is the only thing he has found that stops the dreams of the mouths, licking perversely, and that horrid music.

At least the others agreed to get to the bottom of Luz Records in Mexico City.

Alfred had almost forgotten his last run in with Twisted Guido De Luca before he got tangled up in all of this Henslowe mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
I arrive after Alfred and immediately begin talking to him and our pilot, Kearns. As I've come to expect, the aroma of alcohol is strong near the private investigator.

Poor fellow, what he needs are a few sessions with one of my colleagues....

"Too bad about Evelyn, I'm sure we'll miss her insight and skills. I sure hope Ernest has not gone off the deep end - I fear he is lost to us. Hopefully I'm wrong. We have seen some terrifying things but I think we can explain these nefarious doings and put a stop to this evil."

Maybe I can write a tome about the mass hysteria and hallucinations created by their leadership. I have yet to come up with a logical, non-fantastical explanation for all we've seen. But I'm sure I will...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thursday July 22nd 1937
I just posted a summary, I wasn´t really ready to start yet, but all area eager, and that´s cool.

The flight is uneventful, and it is sunny day when the plane approaches Mexico City. In his hand, Alfred has the letter he found in the testament, on top of it the address to Luz Records: PO Box 1629, Mexico City, D.F.

Frank takes the plane down, and you take your first steps on Mexican ground. It is even hotter here than in Los Angeles and Savannah. You are overdress, and the stains under your arms reveal it.

So, what you all wanna do first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Dang it is hot! I should have purchased more climate appropriate clothing. I'm going to buy a light-colored linen suit and hat, so I don't stick out quite so much and maybe feel a little more comfortable. Then let's find a this address."

I find a shop to buy a cooler set of clothing.

Do I have difficulty communicating? I don't speak Spanish as far as I can tell.

"So, how do we find this particular Post Office box? There must be dozens of smaller Post Office's in a city this size."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It isn't hard finding new clothes here, though the first set Paul buys turns out to be of poor quality. The trousers tears as soon as he bends down.

The city itself is huge and sprawling. Each neighborhood you enter also seems to totally different from the one you left. It is a confusing place. Many speak english, but in some areas, none do. There are also many churches, and a shrine almost on every corner.

You find a post office, which has a handy list of post office boxes. The number is unique, so in the ledger you can find where the one you are looking for is. This particular box is located in down town central Mexico City, as far as you can tell, a pretty posh area.

You leave the post office, looking for some mode of transportation. As you stand wondering what to do, some nearby young men are playing football. By accident the ball rolls over to you, one of the young men runs over, "Hey, mister tourists, any of you play football?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Well that is a most kind offer, but I am rather old and this hot climate is very hard on me. I think I'll just watch and drink this water I got from the well."

I will be away through Friday on a trip for my job. So, Paul is going to drink the local water and get a bout of amoebic dysentery. Consequently, he will have no input until I return from my trip. Feel free to run him as you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Playing Alfred as slightly inebriated and he is going to miss the cue that they are not talking about American football.

Sure, uh, kid.

Alfred bends down and picks up the ball.

What a strange shape for a football! He then throws it to one of the other young men trying his best to put a spin on it. Then he slaps the young man on the shoulder reassuringly.

Say, you don't happen to know anything about Luz Records do ya?

He pulls a couple of American $20 bills from his pocket and holds his hand out to the man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The men rolls their eyes at Alfred. One of them snaps the bill and gives Alfred some directions. When he follows them, he ends up at a brothel, realizing they have lied to them. When he returns, they are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
I am still sitting in the shade watching the football game.

"Welcome back friend. Is the record company close?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hah! That rube led me on a wild goose chase. I did find a rather fetching lady friend though.

Alfred laughs with a snort as he slaps the Dr. on his shoulder.

Nothing of use. Let's catch a cab downtown to the PO box.

Alfred tries to wave down a cab as it drives by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The post office in question is a big art deco affair — new construction, with shining stone and metalwork — meant to glorify the post-office experience for big-business clientele and other downtown notables. Hundreds of people must go through this post office every day, many of them suit-and-tie types or their stalwart aides and secretaries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Let's see if there is a name attached to this PO Box. Maybe we can figure out what J.B. stands for.

Alfred approaches and tries to find a worker who can understand English. He politely tries to ask, Uh...we received a piece of mail with this PO Box, 1629. You wouldn't happen to be able to tell us the name of the owner, would you? We would like to respond, but don't know who to address it to.

I would like to Stealth Locksmith the PO Box open after we get any info from the clerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
you'll have to make some sort of spend on an interpersonal ability. I am going to give you the clue, but you have to let me know what ability you use. To get close to the box, you should make a stealth roll.

The english-speaking clerk goes away for a few minutes, and returns with an index card:

"Here you go, sir.
Jonathan Brooks
Luz Recording Company
33 Morelos Avenue
Coyoacan
Mexico, F.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Stealth 1d6+2 = (6) + 2 = 8

Thanks again
, Alfred says as he wanders away staring at the index card.

Reassurance is the spend I'll use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 578273. samus98
  • 1d6+2 =
  • (6) + 2 =
  • Stealth
  • Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:10 pm
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sneaking over and picking the lock goes sweet and neat. Soon Alfred is walking away with the content.

A power bill for the Luz Records' office
A postcard from Merida, Mexico. It is sent by Dominguez, and simply says: Departing today for the site. Will write again when back in Merida. The postcard is a week old
An letter from Samson Trammel. It reads: Anticipating another update soon. Where is our product? Where is the new record. Do tell. Hurry. Waiting. This letter is from a few days before you yourself were in Los Angeles.

On a bench in the lobby sits Roman Sagris. He has been instructed to watch the PO box since Ernest went away, and he has done so faithfully. He was expecting the cultists Ernest warned him about. But the people who showed up now looks more like Ernest's friends. Perhaps he should introduce hmself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Surely the "product" mentioned in the letter is Nectar, not that terrible music being recorded."

I walk back to the clerk to ask where Coyoacan is located prior to following Alfred outside.

"I think we're being watched..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman walks up to Alfred and somewhat awkwardly taps him on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, sir, Roman Sagris at your service. I believe you and I might have a common friend in Dr. Ernest Wagner. We are old friends. I met with him recently and he seemed very distressed and frightened by something. His only lead was this post deposit box, which he wasn´t able to get into. He instead went on to follow other leads. He instructed me to watch the box, to see if someone came to pick up the mail. And here you are. Might I be of some assistance?"

Roman goes on to introduce himself. He is professor at the local university studying the native Americans, specifically the Mayan and Incan nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Alfred jumps as Roman taps him on the shoulder.

Oh...uhh...Nice to meet you my good man. Yeah, we should...uh...be going. Let's talk in the car on our way to this address. It also seems there may be a site of some importance in Merida.

Accounting spend on bill get me anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The clerk tells Paul that Coyoacan is located in the Yucatan, some distance away, but still in Mexico.

Alfred can see from the bills that not much electricity has been used in the last month.

You quickly reach the location of Luz Records. It occupies the top floor of a two-storey stucco building. It has wrought-iron railings and colorful decorative tile work surrounding Spanish arches and small, barred windows. A small outside stair-case grants access to the upper floors. Next to it is a mechanic shop and a shoe-repair joiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
"It seems like the site of importance is not in Merida. Dominguez left Merida to go to the site. But I agree, we should still visit Merida. Who is Dominguez? I don't remember that name."

I wonder if that address in the Yucatan is related to the site.

I walk up the stairs and examine the door. Is it locked? Can I hear any noise on the other side of the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While walking, Roman asks the group about what they have been investigating and tells them as much as he knows, which isn't much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Larsson
Norway
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There is no sound from the other side. The doors are locked, but they look easy to either pick or force open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sense Trouble (1) 1d6+1 = (1) + 1 = 2

Little use of electricity could mean that they have been out of the office a while. Let's come back this evening so we have the cover of darkness on our, uhhh, side.

Alfred takes a drink from his flask.

Let's go find a hotel room for the evening, then come back out here to have a look inside.

I'll spend a Locksmith to jimmy the lock when we come back in the evening, barring nothing slows us down between now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 578992. samus98
  • 1d6+1 =
  • (1) + 1 =
  • Sense Trouble (1)
  • Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:19 am
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [38] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.