The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Dungeon Master's Kit
Fate Core System
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Rise of Tiamat
The Strange
The Secrets of Cats
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Storm King's Thunder
TimeWatch
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventurer's Companion
Bree
Tomb of Annihilation
Building Tomorrow
Robert Fathauer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
The world's first mass-produced (injection molded) sixty-sided dice are now available from The Dice Lab. The dice have 60 kite-shaped faces, and each face is identical in regards to its relationship to the other faces, as desired for a "fair die" (except for the numbers, of course).

The Dice Lab (http://thedicelab.com) is a new dice manufacturer that also offers a unique 24-sided die with kite-shaped faces, a 12-sided die with rhombus-shaped faces, an 8-sided die based on a polyhedron known as the truncated octahedron, and a 4-sided die in which the numbers face up (in contrast to the standard design). The dice are available in black, white, and blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mass-produced injection-moulded rhombic dodecahedra dice?

AT LAST!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat. I probably won't bother with the d4, d8, and d12, as blank faces on dice really bother me, but I might check out the d24 and d60 just for fun.

The two additional specialty dice that I hope you'll consider adding at some point are a d20 numbered 0-9 twice and a d8 numbered 1-4 twice. I've only ever found a few of the former in decent high-impact plastic, and haven't seen the latter since the 1980s, when I unaccountably failed to buy any. :-)

Edit: As pointed out below, the d12 does not have any blank faces. My mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tessellations wrote:
...a unique 24-sided die with kite-shaped faces...
Although I ought to point out that you're not the first to produce deltoidal icositetrahedron d24s. They've been around since at least 2006, probably earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Although this one
is numbered as a d6
trystero11 wrote:
I probably won't bother with the [...] d12, as blank faces on dice really bother me...
No blank faces on the d12. Just on the d4 and d8.

Space-filling d12s. Mmmmm. In one direction, they have a square cross-section; in another direction they have a regular hexagonal cross-section. I've been making them out of origami personally, so properly produced ones would be lovely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
trystero11 wrote:
I probably won't bother with the [...] d12, as blank faces on dice really bother me...
No blank faces on the d12. Just on the d4 and d8.

Quite right: not sure what I was thinking.

Even so, I have d12s already, and don't feel any real dissatisfaction with them.

Now: what does one use a d24 or a d60 for? Hour and minute randomization for events? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fathauer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are no blank faces on the d12. Our testing indicates the blank faces on the d4 and d8 come up approximately 2-3 times in 100 rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fathauer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
d24's that are shaped like tetrakis hexahedra have been around for a while, but not deltoidal icositetrahedra, which I think is a better shape. If you do know of one, please provide further details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tessellations wrote:
If you do know of one, please provide further details.
Sure, this image dates to 2006:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3A24_sided_dice_d24.j...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fathauer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be traceable to a source. The numbers on the die don't appear to be recessed, but rather applied to flat surfaces. So if it was produced by injection molding, the numbers weren't in the mold. At any rate, I don't think it's currently available, as I've looked at a lot of sites that sell dice, and it wasn't on any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you ask, I did a little more research. The die I linked to above was designed by Frank Dutrain of LD Diffusion. His design was then used with a numbering system by Dr Alexander F Simkin for the D-Total which was mass-produced and sold by Lou Zocchi's GameScience company.

And a bit more research shows that these were hollow plastic, hence why the sides are flat with the text printed on. Your dice are certainly superior in that they are injection moulded. And I'm not disputing that yours certainly seem to be the first dice of this shape to be injection-moulded. I was just pointing out that the shape itself is not unique to your dice as it's been used before.

I'm still excited about them. Yay for rhombic dodecahedra!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
FatGandalf wrote:
Looking forward to purchasing some when they're more easily available outside USA.

Me too.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cook
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Robert ... its good to see that you made it home safely from your vacation !

As to the history of the DELTOIDAL ICOSITETRAHEDRON ... (Confirming what Stelio found)

Franck Dutrain of LD Diffusion informed me (in 2004) patented this shape of die in 1999 (I assume in France) ... Later (2007-2008) the process (possibly the molds) were either licensed or purchased by Louis Zocchi for GameScience for Dr Alexander Simkin's D-Total which was mass produced in 2008

http://www.dicecollector.com/D24_ALEXANDER_SIMKIN_GAMESCIENC...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fathauer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
They should soon be available on thediceshoponline.com, which is located in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fathauer
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There is a 1989 paper by Persi Diaconis and Joseph Keller called "Fair Dice". Among other things, it describes isohedra (the deltoidal icositetrahedron falls in the this category) and the fact that they allow fair dice. A subsequent patent claiming use of one of these shapes for a die should therefore never have been granted. But that's par for the course for patents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhombic dodecahedra, deltoidal icositetrahedron- aren't these names of dinosaurs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminology used in mathematics and palaeontology is much easier if you're fluent in Greek. laugh "Icositetrahedron"? 24 bases. "Batrachognathus"? Frog jaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
Terminology used in mathematics and palaeontology is much easier if you're fluent in Greek. laugh "Icositetrahedron"? 24 bases. "Batrachognathus"? Frog jaw.

"Fassolia Plaki"? A filling bowl of haricot beans cooked in a tomato and vegetable sauce!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.