The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Knights & Legends
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD Tabletop Adventure Game
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
KULT: Divinity Lost
Dead Planet
Knave
H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy
Dungeon Squad!
Cat: Revised
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Companions' Tale
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Gamemaster's Guide
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
The Sunless Citadel
Dragon Fist
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Orcs of the High Mountains
Scarlet Heroes
Faces of Thedas
We Used To Be Friends
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Nameless Cults
Chicago Chaos
Berlin: The Wicked City
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
Fudge
Dungeon Masters Screen
King Arthur Pendragon (5th Edition)
Mekton Zeta
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (1st Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 32 - Vol. 6, No. 5)
Project Ninja Panda Taco
Fate Core System
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Cthulhu Abides
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Cthulhu Hack
Exalted Third Edition
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
72 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

2014 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs» Forums » News

Subject: 2014 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest - VOTE HAS CLOSED! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon the individual files will be loaded into the database here, but in the meantime I have compiled all of the entries into a zip file hosted externally (I'll delete this file once the voting period is over). You can download it now from:
http://stelio.net/games/geek/24hr2014.zip (21.3 MB)

As such, voting can begin!

In order to vote:

1 Download the files for all of the entries, and give them a good read.

2 Decide on what order you think the games should be ranked, from best to worst.

3 GeekMail your decision to me (quick link).

Voting algorithm

All registered users are eligible to vote. You can change your mind if you want by sending me an updated order of voting, but only if you do so before voting closes.

The contest will be decided by Single Transferable Vote (the same method as before). This is a voting method that is not possible (yet) using the poll functionality on this site, which is why you need to send me your votes instead. I will then count up the results in order to determine the winner.

The only information I need for your vote is a list of the games in the order that you think they should end up. You do not need to list all entries in your vote, but please list at least four entries as there are places for four winners. Listing fifth/sixth/etc. choices helps when the voting is close.

For full disclosure, I will be using the Droop quota with surplus votes reallocated through proportional allocation similar to the Gregory method.

Timeline

First deadline: Wednesday 22 October 2014

There are lots of games to read, and it takes time to digest them all and decide which is best. The voting period is three weeks long, so there shouldn't be any problems. Just in case, I'll extend the above deadline if I think that I haven't received enough votes (I'd like a minimum of 20 votes, at least as many as the number of contestants). If it's close to the deadline and you still need more time, let me know (by posting here) as that will affect my decision to extend the deadline.

Questions

Please ask any questions in this thread.

The vote-counting mechanism is ideally suited to this type of contest, but is complex and so I won't be surprised if there are requests for further explanation.

An answer to one important question asked in previous contests:
Please wait until voting is over before posting any reviews of the games (we want people to vote based on their own opinions and not be unduly swayed by the thoughts of others).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2012 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest - VOTE NOW!
One thing to note is that Wagons Ho! consists of two files: the core rules in Wagons Ho! and the supplementary rules of Ride On!. I've deliberately named the files to try to make this obvious.

Also, we know that Steve Donohue is vastly capable of producing reviews at an alarming rate. He has demonstrated his production output again by writing a second 24-hour RPG this time.

By the rules of the contest, only one entry is eligible for the contest and so only one is included in the compiled ZIP file above. For the second RPG, see: Factory Tour (file to be uploaded shortly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
One thing to note is that Wagons Ho! consists of two files: the core rules in Wagons Ho! and the supplementary rules of Ride On!. I've deliberately named the files to try to make this obvious.

Backwards, but close.

Ride On! is the core, Wagons Ho! is the supplement/setting book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
I'll swap some names around in the database then... whistle

Edit: And done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2014 RPG Geek 24-hour Contest - VOTE NOW!
Stelio wrote:
Wired_Wolf wrote:

And I've submitted a correction for Ride On ... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
Timey Wimey
badge
Then Hrut said, "The child is beautiful enough, and many will suffer for her beauty; but I cannot imagine how thief's eyes have come into our kin."
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Stelio wrote:
Wired_Wolf wrote:

Have you considered just renaming your RPG to be consistent with the database? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddavros wrote:
sos1 wrote:
Stelio wrote:
Wired_Wolf wrote:

Have you considered just renaming your RPG to be consistent with the database? whistle

It has crossed my mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried uploading the Sixth Factor into the database (I think it's done under the Files section). Submitted it under files on the relevant page. Hopefully I did it correctly (I have not done this before, so new experience here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, it's all approved and in place now. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
Welcome to my Maze of Deth!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa... do I HAVE to vote now, or can I wait until I've read the entries? Because that's a totally different rubric, based on a myriad of factors including alphabetical order and number of vowels in the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to vote at random to save time. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
Whoa... do I HAVE to vote now, or can I wait until I've read the entries? Because that's a totally different rubric, based on a myriad of factors including alphabetical order and number of vowels in the title.

You haven't voted yet?!?

Oh well, that's alright.

As I understand it, Stelio asks for votes to be send in by October 22. That's still tight, at least for me, to read all the entries. At least you can't blame me for being lengthy, I guess. My submission seems to be the shortest, at least by page count. I may not win on the word count front. In fact, I may not win on any front, but let's leave that to the voters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.rpggeek.com/geeklist/252904/curse-dokter-ekwilibreums-maze-deth-open-construct
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew... I saw the thread caption "VOTE NOW" and was overwhelmed by the urgency of the all caps.

Very well. I shall read them, THEN vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
Very well. I shall read them, play them, THEN vote.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we allowed to upload a supplement (not part of the contest) for what we wrote? Something we can take a little more time on to expand on the setting?

Not immediately, but probably before the three weeks are out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dokter Ekwilibreum
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you upload a supplement in general? Yes. The practice of creating a more polished version of your 24 Hour effort is encouraged.

Before the voting period ends? I don't want to say no, because your game, do what you want, and I'm not in charge of this contest, but I will say probably not without risking being disqualified or being called out on shenanigans. You run the risk of influencing someone's vote on your 24 Hour RPG based on a version of the game (even if it's just clarification of pre-existing rules) that was able to be worked on beyond 24 hours, which could be an unfair advantage. Even if you only spent ten minutes tweaking the explanation, you had an extra few days to think of ways to say it more clearly.

Again, I'm not in charge, so my thoughts carry no actual weight. Just possibilities to consider before you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Sean. I even waited until the contest was over to post the probabilities in one of my previous entries. I didn't want to unfairly influence anyone.

Go ahead and write it, please! But I'd wait until the voting ended before sharing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

First deadline: Wednesday 22 October 2012

Emphasis mine.

Dang, I'm two years late!

I'm sad I didn't have time to enter this year, but hopefully I'll at least find the time to vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup dodged a bullet. All of these are so good I wouldn't have probably even earned last place. (There are a few here, though that stand out. And I'm wheedling away at them.)

(And, not to sway your vote, but if you can't decide, imagine how awful the game was I could have created and vote it into last place.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munkwunk wrote:
Dang, I'm two years late!
ninja I have no idea what you're talking about. whistle

(Thanks for the catch! I had lots to do yesterday, and my good friends cut and paste failed me on this post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dumwytgi wrote:
It's nearly always a struggle to gather the votes, so I added a little extra pressure in the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:
This is a voting method that is not possible (yet) using the poll functionality on this site, which is why you need to send me your votes instead.

My opinion only - It's kind of nice during a voting period NOT to see how all entries are stacking up for any particular contest. I wonder, can the Poll here hide answers/results?

And even after the contest is over I'd prefer just to see entries that placed (in this case the Top 4). I don't need to see the loser of the bunch. [Devil's advocate: on the other hand, if the designer wishes to know that he/she is in last place for example in order to adjust workflow/process that's cool I guess. I remember one of the previous Tavern's Tales contests revealing order in private for those that wished to know.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
I wonder, can the Poll here hide answers/results?
Nope. They just hide who voted.

USP45 wrote:
And even after the contest is over I'd prefer just to see entries that placed (in this case the Top 4). I don't need to see the loser of the bunch.
Previously, I've posted the winners plus the next few highest-placed entries only. I'd expect at most to be able to post a top ten. The voting method doesn't provide granularity much further down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
mb
Stelio wrote:
...I'd expect at most to be able to post a top ten. The voting method doesn't provide granularity much further down.

That plus the personal feedback of "Such and such were my top 5" is pretty good for sussing out one's place if they miss the top scoreboard.

I'm not sure if it's stelio dot net that's being hammered or if I have a slow connection today, but I'll update with a link to a backup folder on Google Drive that will spread the bandwidth love around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnssica wrote:
I'm not sure if it's stelio dot net that's being hammered or if I have a slow connection today...
I'm using professional paid-for hosting with unlimited bandwidth. Maybe the series of tubes is clogged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.