Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
85 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Community » Creative Fodder

Subject: Site-wide Interactive Fiction Adventure - Seeking Writer (or, Yo-ho-ho!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Soak some tea leaves in your mulled rum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
Who are you calling "Mulled Rum", espresso bean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys still looking for help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
GreenDude wrote:

A fair bit has been committed to code, but there's still a lot remaining to do. These things take time, unfortunately. And lots of tea, as well.

Mmmm, tea.

I'm glad to hear that the project is still ongoing. A GIANT thank you to all of you who are working on this for your fellow geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
I think we're good, but thanks for the offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Any axe-wielding Santas?

Oh, wait. It says Yo-ho-ho, not Ho-ho-ho. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenDude wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:
I think we're good, but thanks for the offer.

I'm always just a geekmail away
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Riley
United Kingdom
Seahaven
East Sussex
flag msg tools
The late great Maurice Dodd & Dennis Collins creators of The Perishers
badge
Ole Boot - A sheepdog or a cursed English milor' depending on your viewpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
No new activity on this thread this year. I presume this means this idea has been quietly shelved. I'm sad about that as I really enjoyed the previous incarnations. I appreciate it's a lot of work for people who've no doubt got a lot of other things going on their lives. Piratey adventure (Geist, Gaucho so er Glackgeard?) would have been nice though... arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim, it's not shelved, but I have no idea when it will be finished. But not shelved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another recruitment perhaps???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:

Ok, ok, I'll stop bugging you guys about it, but if the need arises you know where to find me, and you won't be dissapointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyraziel wrote:
Tyraziel wrote:

Ok, ok, I'll stop bugging you guys about it, but if the need arises you know where to find me, and you won't be dissapointed
If and when we need more people in, you will be notified
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kattvippa wrote:
Tim, it's not shelved, but I have no idea when it will be finished. But not shelved

But, with respect, is any work actually being done on it? Unless the situation has changed, the head of this project is also the head of the massive Project O.L.I.V.E., and that's on top of her work schedule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

But, with respect, is any work actually being done on it? Unless the situation has changed, the head of this project is also the head of the massive Project O.L.I.V.E., and that's on top of her work schedule.
As far as I know, work is being done on this.

And I wouldn't call anyone on the team a head of the project, it's a group effort with no one in charge, which might be one of the reasons it's not going forward faster. I'll schedule a "meeting" with the band after my vacation to see exactly where this project is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kattvippa wrote:
Ryuu wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

As far as I know, work is being done on this.

And I wouldn't call anyone on the team a head of the project, it's a group effort with no one in charge, which might be one of the reasons it's not going forward faster. I'll schedule a "meeting" with the band after my vacation to see exactly where this project is now.

Sweet! Have a great vacation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I was never the leader of this project. Not by a long shot. I have no idea where you got that idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mb
adularia25 wrote:
Ryuu wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I was never the leader of this project. Not by a long shot. I have no idea where you got that idea...

You are quite right, and I was entirely wrong. My apologies! I thought I had read a post elsewhere about you being chosen, but it may have been about another project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the programmer for Plundered. (We might rename this. Paul suggested 'Galleon'. I do like continuing with the 'G' theme with the names.)

I'd just like to echo that the project is shelved rather than abandoned. We will finish it at some point. I'm not going to speculate on the 'when', though. Projects like these live and die on enthusiasm, and when we get the bug, it'll probably go fairly fast. A not inconsiderable amount is working already, and I had a great deal of fun both with the writing and the coding.

I just tested out my toolchain again, and everything works as it should. Maybe I'll reread some of the code and see what inspiration strikes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: Hi guys!

*waves*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey

*waves back*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
ARR arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
* looks through the code *

Spelling error? Can't have that.

* edit edit edit *

Hmm. That event happens way too often.

* edit edit *

Heh heh. 'Poop' deck.

* scroll scroll *

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
To anyone wondering what happened to this project, here's what happened, as I understand it. It's possible to figure out who's-who, but I don't name any names because I don't want negativity directed toward anyone. In late 2014, three writers were invited to join two admins to create a pirate-themed work of interactive fiction with the expectation that someone would drop, leaving a team of four. As I recall, our target deadline was late February 2015. All of the writers were excited to contribute and began brainstorming in earnest in order to stay on track with stated timeframes.

Due to various life happenings, our admins both arrived later to the brainstorming process and found that the project had taken on a life of its own, due to the initial flurry of ideas. I can't speak for either of them, but it seems to me like both struggled to gain a foothold or "rein in" the direction that the project was taking. This was still fairly early in the process, and all ideas could have been seriously reviewed or even scrapped, without losing too much momentum I think, given leadership direction. One or the other admins stepping back might have still kept the project on track, but what happened instead was that both stepped back, leaving the three writers to continue without structured guidance.

One of us three then dropped away in the absence of clear structure or planning, leaving two active writers–half the intended team–and none of the original leadership. Work was slowed, but so much had already gone into the project that we hated to just let it go. So we continued work; writing descriptions, dialog, puzzles. As time went on, I moved more into the organizing role, and our other writer moved into coding. I don't know what percentage of the game has been committed to code at this point, but I want to say a sizable chunk, likely more than half. There is still some writing (coding, and testing, too, obviously) to be done, but the bones of the project–including a strong, central puzzle or two–are all laid out and tightened up in (I think) a very unified way.

What slowed us for a long time was the reality of working with a two-person team. Ideas were always up in the air, which is great for creativity, but at some point things need to get nailed down in order to move forward toward the goal of a finished game. I'd get inspired and add to the working file, but eventually I'd stop writing because I was never sure what exactly would make it into the finished game, and I didn't want to spend lots of time on something that would change significantly or be omitted altogether. I don't know if the game (currently dubbed Galleon, in keeping with G-title tradition) will ever be released, which would be a shame. It's very dear to me, having put so much into it for so long.

I agree with previously stated sentiment that I don't think bringing anyone new onboard at this point would be wise. If leadership from the original team were to step in and at least cast deciding votes between two creators (where/if needed) to keep us on track toward completion, I think even that would go a long way in helping us. We're essentially two dogs pulling enthusiastically on a sled without a driver. Not that we disagree per se; we have generally been able to work out consensus on ideas through discussion, but our geographic locales are essentially globally opposite, and this makes convening in real time a challenge; life happens.

As I've stated to others on the team, I'm still willing to do the work necessary to complete what we set out to do, provided that it is finished at some point. So, that's what has happened and where we currently stand on this project. I write about it here because apparently my honest efforts and appeals have not yet been enough to pilot this ship safely to harbor. My sense of humor, at least, has not dried up. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Site-wide adventures are awesome, and we're totally due for one!

If the original "leaders" haven't responded or aren't interested in stepping back in, I think you have to consider recruiting one or two new "leaders". It would be a shame to see the work you've done so far be for naught. I understand if you don't want to bring in any new "sled dogs", but if a "driver" is what's missing, why not find one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |