World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beast Shapes by Druid level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
He went overloading on testing and coding and his name was
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
Currently: planning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Druids are being actively discussed at the moment, particularly with regards to the Circle of the Moon. To aid such discussions, here is a list of creatures that druids may shapechange into, split by the character level required in order to gain access to that animal form. The number in brackets at the start of each line is the CR for those beasts.

Standard Beast Shapes

Level 2: Max CR ¼, no flying or swimming speed
(0) Baboon, Badger, Cat, Deer, Giant Fire Beetle, Goat, Hyena, Jackal, Lizard, Rat, Scorpion, Spider, Weasel
(0.125) Camel, Giant Rat, Giant Weasel, Mastiff, Mule, Pony
(0.25) Axe Beak, Boar, Draft Horse, Elk, Giant Badger, Giant Centipede, Giant Goat, Giant Lizard, Giant Wolf Spider, Panther, Riding Horse, Swarm of Rats, Wolf

Level 4: Max CR ½, no flying speed
(-) Frog, Sea Horse
(0) Crab, Octopus, Quipper
(0.125) Giant Crab, Poisonous Snake
(0.25) Constrictor Snake, Giant Frog, Giant Poisonous Snake
(0.5) Ape, Black Bear, Crocodile, Giant Sea Horse, Reef Shark, Swarm of Insects, Warhorse

Level 8: Max CR 1
(0) Bat, Eagle, Hawk, Owl, Raven, Vulture
(0.125) Blood Hawk, Flying Snake, Stirge
(0.25) Giant Bat, Giant Owl, Pteranodon, Swarm of Bats, Swarm of Ravens
(0.5) Giant Wasp, Swarm of Wasps
(1) Brown Bear, Dire Wolf, Giant Eagle, Giant Hyena, Giant Octopus, Giant Spider, Giant Toad, Giant Vulture, Lion, Swarm of Quippers, Tiger

Circle of the Moon Forms

Level 2: Max CR 1, no flying or swimming speed
(0) Baboon, Badger, Cat, Deer, Giant Fire Beetle, Goat, Hyena, Jackal, Lizard, Rat, Scorpion, Spider, Weasel
(0.125) Camel, Giant Rat, Giant Weasel, Mastiff, Mule, Pony
(0.25) Axe Beak, Boar, Draft Horse, Elk, Giant Badger, Giant Centipede, Giant Goat, Giant Lizard, Giant Wolf Spider, Panther, Riding Horse, Swarm of Rats, Wolf
(0.5) Ape, Black Bear, Swarm of Insects, Warhorse
(1) Brown Bear, Dire Wolf, Giant Hyena, Giant Spider, Lion, Tiger

Level 4: Max CR 1, no flying speed
(-) Frog, Sea Horse
(0) Crab, Octopus, Quipper
(0.125) Giant Crab, Poisonous Snake
(0.25) Constrictor Snake, Giant Frog, Giant Poisonous Snake
(0.5) Crocodile, Giant Sea Horse, Reef Shark
(1) Giant Octopus, Giant Toad, Swarm of Quippers

Level 6: Max CR 2, no flying speed
(2) Allosaurus, Giant Boar, Giant Constrictor Snake, Giant Elk, Hunter Shark, Plesiosaurus, Polar Bear, Rhinoceros, Sabre-Toothed Tiger, Swarm of Poisonous Snakes

Level 8: Max CR 2
(0) Bat, Eagle, Hawk, Owl, Raven, Vulture
(0.125) Blood Hawk, Flying Snake, Stirge
(0.25) Giant Bat, Giant Owl, Pteranodon, Swarm of Bats, Swarm of Ravens
(0.5) Giant Wasp, Swarm of Wasps
(1) Giant Eagle, Giant Vulture

Level 9: Max CR 3
(3) Ankylosaurus, Giant Scorpion, Killer Whale

Level 12: Max CR 4
(4) Elephant

Level 15: Max CR 5
(5) Giant Crocodile, Giant Shark, Triceratops

Level 18: Max CR 6
(6) Mammoth

All these have entries in the Monster Manual (D&D 5e). The only additional beast in any currently published sources is the Giant Fly on page 169 of the Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e), however this has no listed CR.

Whilst swarms are not specifically prohibited by the rules as written, it is reasonable for DMs to disallow their use (on the grounds that the druid changes into an individual animal shape; the rules state, "a beast"). But other DMs may argue that this is allowable. For clarity, swarms have been marked in grey text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rule of Three
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is wonderful! Thank you so much for the organization.

I am still not sure I see a large benefit in wild shape right now; seems that the versatility of spells and their damage output is far superior to most animal forms. I've not done any real calculations yet, but one of my players is debating a druid in our new campaign and I know this will help.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally considered disallowing swarms as their entries arent beast, it is "swarm of (size) beasts".

But. Some literature and media have depicted druid types turning into swarms sooo... Depends on the DMs call.

And aside from the swarm of insects, they arent too horribly overpowered for their CR. Or like the Quippers, limited in scope of use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
I originally considered disallowing swarms as their entries arent beast, it is "swarm of (size) beasts".

But. Some literature and media have depicted druid types turning into swarms sooo... Depends on the DMs call.

And aside from the swarm of insects, they arent too horribly overpowered for their CR. Or like the Quippers, limited in scope of use.

Can the swarm scatter? Kinda makes "scouting the enemy base" a trivial task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Id say no they cant scatter as that would make them not a swarm anymore. So theyd have to at least stay in say a 10x10 area.

But even so theyd be pretty ubiquitus. No one is likely to initially notice some bugs crawling around, or a murder of Ravens staring at them from perches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stucki
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Based on the description of swarms in the MM, I wouldn't allow it. They're manifestations of great evil in the area, and I can't imagine a guardian of nature changing into a threat to the natural order. But that's just fluff reasons, not mechanical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Support comes in many forms: community involvement, forum posts, submitting data, running PbF games, word-of-mouth advertising, financial donations... All these are vital to this site, and you have my sincere thanks for participating in any of them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
Can the swarm scatter? Kinda makes "scouting the enemy base" a trivial task.

The Monster Manual (D&D 5e) says:
Quote:
The swarms presented here aren't ordinary or benign assemblies of little creatures. They form as a result of some sinister or unwholesome influence. A vampire can summon swarms of bats and rats from the darkest corners of the night, while the very presence of a mummy lord can cause scarab beetles to boil up from the sand-filled depths of its tomb. A hag might have the power to turn swarms of ravens against her enemies, while a yuan-ti abomination might have swarms of poisonous snakes slithering in its wake. Even druids can't charm these swarms, and their aggressiveness is borderline unnatural.

And the Swarm ability reads:
Quote:
Swarm. The swarm can occupy another creature's space and vice versa, and the swarm can move through any opening large enough for a Tiny creature. The swarm can't regain hit points or gain temporary hit points.

They're essentially treated as a single creature, all acting in concert. So no scattering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. The MM fluff text makes it likely that swarms are not part of a druids possible forms to assume. By the MM entry they are unnatural.

But it is just fluff text and the actual entries dont mention anything supernatural. Though their suite of immunities could be seen as such.

Apparently that was a late addition as natural swarms of rats are encountered in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen module. No outside influence causing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Correct. The MM fluff text makes it likely that swarms are not part of a druids possible forms to assume. By the MM entry they are unnatural.

Because a shape-shifted Druid is totally natural...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

Because a shape-shifted Druid is totally natural...

Un-natural in a not natural sort of un-matural.

The fluff text makes all swarms to be the product of supernatural influence rather than a natural occurrence.

As said. The first module out ignored that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the DMG as a guide. The Ebony Fly would likely be a CR 0 monster because it has no attacks and so low AC and HP. That puts it in the 0 category of the chart. Its HP puts it at CR 1/8. But its low AC and lack of attack modifies that down yo CR 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Hall
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stelio wrote:

All these have entries in the Monster Manual (D&D 5e). The only additional beast in any currently published sources is the Giant Fly on page 169 of the Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e), however this has no listed CR.

Whilst swarms are not specifically prohibited by the rules as written, it is reasonable for DMs to disallow their use (on the grounds that the druid changes into an individual animal shape; the rules state, "a beast"). But other DMs may argue that this is allowable. For clarity, swarms have been marked in grey text.

I think that it's pertinent to note that many of these creatures are not only listed in the Monster Manual (D&D 5e) but also as an appendix in the back of the Player's Handbook (D&D 5e) for the purposes of providing examples for Druid Wild Shape change as well as polymorph. Actually, a couple may not have made it into the Monster Manual, giant spider I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything in the PHB is also in the MM. See: Bestiary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a bemusing conundrum.

The new Elemental player companion adds the Aarakocra as a player race.

So you can end up with a Aarakocra Druid unable to assume forms that can fly until they reach the right level. And they learn to swim before they learn to fly.

Perhaps reverse that for them. Learning the swim forms after the flight forms.

Of course leaving it as is provides hours of entertainment teasing the bird that swims better than she can fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trentin Bergeron
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is outstanding! Thanks for making this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederik van deurs
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'm running a cirle of land druid right now, so I made your list into a spreadsheet with stats, special abilities and so on - for now I couldn't be bothered making Circle of Moon sheet.

But please do enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LBm-0d8Hck33Y8a75f7c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

Southlands Heroes by Kobold Press who did the Tyrrany of Dragons modules adds the new Circle of the Swarm druid path. This path is meant for the insectoid Tosculi. But there you go.

Quote:
Your choice of forms is limited. You may use Wild Shape to change into any insectoid, arachnid, or similar beast (such as a crab), though you must still have seen the creature to do so.
In addition, you gain access to the following list of non-standard forms (you must follow the same CR and ability restrictions as outlined in Circle Forms):
ankheg, carrion crawler, death wasp (use wyvern stats), giant rhinoceros beetle (use triceratops stats), and swarm of insects (all variants).
Other insectoid forms may be available at your DM’s discretion.
Monstrous Wild Shape
At 10th level, you can expend two uses of Wild Shape at the same time to transform into a:
bullette, chuul, phase spider, or umber hulk.
This ability replaces Elemental Wild Shape.

Not sure about the level 10 shapes, a Bullette is not even vaugly an insect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

I dunno.

I see it as a chitinous invertebrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I dunno.

You fail zoology. angryFOREVER!angry
Cross between a shark and a turtle. That has allways been its backstory. It is even referred to as a land shark in modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Here is a bemusing conundrum.

The new Elemental player companion adds the Aarakocra as a player race.

So you can end up with a Aarakocra Druid unable to assume forms that can fly until they reach the right level. And they learn to swim before they learn to fly.

Perhaps reverse that for them. Learning the swim forms after the flight forms.

Of course leaving it as is provides hours of entertainment teasing the bird that swims better than she can fly.

I'm running a Princes of the Apocalypse campaign right now, and one of the PCs is a water genasi druid, so slightly different issue: he already has a swimming speed. My plan is to allow him to shapeshift into animals that meet the CR criteria and disregard the swim speed restrictions, since it makes sense, contextually. If he were an Aarakocra, I would allow him to change into an animal with a flying speed, but I would cap the flying speed at 50' (for instance a hawk has a flying speed of 60') and only allow him to change into an actual bird, no swarms, bats or Pteranodons until he hits the required level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think the reason for the druid restrictions is to prevent low-level characters from gaining abilities they wouldn't normally have access to. Since Aarakocra already break this, it shouldn't cause a problem for the druid to shift to these kinds of forms.

On the other hand, I see no issue with the druid forms having their own physical limitations that the character's normal form doesn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
zayzayem wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I dunno.

You fail zoology. angryFOREVER!angry
Cross between a shark and a turtle. That has allways been its backstory. It is even referred to as a land shark in modules.

You fail zoology for thinking those two species are sexually compatible

A sea cucumber is not a vegetable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An odd discovery. In a Q&A one of the designers, Chris Perkins stated. No. A druid can not assume a swarm shape as it is not a single creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
Australia
flag msg tools
Thankyou, I really appreciate this list, to get my Druid going. She is a circle of the moon Druid, at level 5 and trying to figure out what she can do at level 6 when she can get CR2 creatures. There are few CR2 beasts, and the relatively low AC of higher CR beasts severely limits the career of a moon Druid.

Why is she limited to to 'beasts' specified in the Monster Manual? The PHB has a confused idea of what a 'beast' is for the purpose of Wildshape. There are very few CR2+ 'beasts', and the AC of the higher beasts does not scale very well. She peaks at level 5, with a couple of bumps along the way to level 20.

I want argue, she is not limited to a 'beast' identified in the Monster Manual, but any beast-like 'creature'. The PHB has a confused view of Wildshape, and this is why....

The rules for Wildshape include a limitation based on CR, rather than size. You must choose circle of the moon to Wildshape above CR1. She must have seen the creature, to be able to shift (this gives the DM discretion).

'Beast' or beast-like 'creature'
The PHB has a confused idea of what the 5e Moon Druid may shift in to. Much of the rules of Wildshape refer to 'beast', which seem to suggest the only shapes available are anything identified in the Monster Manual as a 'beast'. However, one of the limitations of wild shaping is that Legendary or Lair abilities of a 'creature' may not be used. There is no 'beast' which has a Legendary Ability or a 'Lair Ability'. These concepts only belong to monsters, other than 'beasts', so why is it there? ... Because the Druid can shape in to any beast-like 'creature', not just 'beasts'.

Thoughts? Comments?
(May be worth being a separate thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.