The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,504 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1380 Posts
[1]  Prev «  52 , 53 , 54 , 55 , 56  Next »  [56] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek Help and How-To

Subject: Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] rpg [+] GM [+] [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linear, or non-linear: What is your preferred dice combination for generating odds that go from 0 to approximately 20, taking into account the existence of modifiers, and why ?

3d6 ? 2d10 ? 1d20 ? 2d12 ? 3d8 ? 4d6 ? Other ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you feel if you suddenly discovered during a scenario that one of the characters on your "Good Guy Team" was in fact a traitor, either from the start, or having been "turned" by GM actions (hidden die roll, etc.) along the way ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How open/closed should one be when designing/play testing an RPG? Does it's future price point change the answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lawingm wrote:
How open/closed should one be when designing/play testing an RPG? Does it's future price point change the answer?

Hmm... what exactly is "open/closed", in the context of the question ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Open/closed being how much do you let out into the world before it's done. Posting on an open forum? Private play test? Blogging the entire design process?

I have no delusions of grandeur for my own work and will likely keep anything I do free as a thanks to the community, assuming any of it is good enough. I have friends in other industries get their ideas stolen and miss out on some serious revenue. Maybe having more of your game out there is beneficial for attention/interest?

It's a loaded question that could probably be worded more simply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lawingm wrote:
Open/closed being how much do you let out into the world before it's done. Posting on an open forum? Private play test? Blogging the entire design process?

I have no delusions of grandeur for my own work and will likely keep anything I do free as a thanks to the community, assuming any of it is good enough. I have friends in other industries get their ideas stolen and miss out on some serious revenue. Maybe having more of your game out there is beneficial for attention/interest?

It's a loaded question that could probably be worded more simply.

I think there are two considerations:

1) Are you ready to hear critiques yet? If no, then share only with your closest gamer friends.
2) Are you ready to show the world what you have? Then, the advice I have mostly heard is to give away most of it except any flavor text or gimmick. Only the theme and flavor is something that can be copyrighted so that is the only part you need to be concerned regarding copies.

If you have a great game mechanics, they absolutely will be copied eventually. Just make sure you have great game mechanics a great gimmick. It is also recommended to give away copies to a few game stores and the like once a product is in solid prototype mode. No publicity equals no success. Worrying about being copied before you really start is a good way to slow down progress. On the other hand, getting your dream crushed because you are not ready for critiques is worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
WAIT! Don't give away your answer here. Wait for the QOTD thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please. Questions only. No answers or responses. Occasionally I will ask for clarification on a question, which will require an answer to best post your proposed QOTD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If an RPG has a large body of established canon background material, do you feel obligated to use any (or all) of it in order to maintain the system's "flavour"? If not, how have your players reacted to the changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What disastrous scenario, that you much later thought of a better way to resolve, would you most like to redo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any RPG materials you've gotten rid of that you wish you'd kept instead? Which ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

What are your favourite Science Fiction RPGs, and why ?

How do you want to define Science Fiction? The concept of what consitutes Science Fiction alone has been a subject of debate on the QOTD. Do you want it to be wide open or do you have a particular concept in mind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Mallet wrote:

What are your favourite Science Fiction RPGs, and why ?

How do you want to define Science Fiction? The concept of what consitutes Science Fiction alone has been a subject of debate on the QOTD. Do you want it to be wide open or do you have a particular concept in mind?

Right. Very prudent approach indeed.

My main interest is in "hard" science fiction, the type that could plausibly be based on the discovery of new laws of nature that would arise from what we already know.

EDIT: So, no interest into space opera, trans-humanity, magic, feudal fantasy in space, spirits, souls, cosmic horror, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you ever run a scenario in which the perception of colours was an important element of the adventure ?

As you probably know, there are no colours. Colours are" invented" by the human and animal brain. The only things that exist are specific wavelengths, but, in reality, these wavelengths are colourless. Grass is not really "green".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
If you could be any superhero, which would you choose? More importantly, why? For the purposes of the question, you'd get the power set but wouldn't have to swap things like occupation, gender or identity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
What is the lowest common denominator for "geek culture"? Do you believe in universal geek theory? Or is this just clever marketing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Are we RPGers overweight? How much do you weight?

2. Along with playing RPGs do you also have more active hobbies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can PCs in your fantasy games can read and write per default? Do you games get any mileage out of *not* making this a premise of the setting? How do you deal with the uneven distribution of literacy in "fantasy" settings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Are there RPGs or scenarios (in any type of setting) where the uneven distribution of basic literacy skills (reading or writing text, musical scores, etc.) among characters leads to interesting or problematic situations ?

[Variant of the preceding question]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the main challenges, in the areas of Natural and Social Sciences, that need to be addressed to create a believable Hard Science-Fiction RPG ?

As I was looking for and reading a lot of information about this topic, I stumbled upon this article:

"In the vacuum of space, SF RPGs suck"

https://postworldgames.com/2015/10/20/in-the-vacuum-of-space...

EDIT: I realize that the initial wording didn’t correctly depict the chain of events. I was asking myself these questions long before I discovered by accident this article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

What are the main challenges, in the areas of Natural and Social Sciences, that need to be addressed to create a believable Hard Science-Fiction RPG ?

The idea for this question was generated by this article:

"In the vacuum of space, SF RPGs suck"

https://postworldgames.com/2015/10/20/in-the-vacuum-of-space...

I disagree with so many points of that article I don't think I could answer a QOTD based on it without lighting my computer on fire from the fast and furious rage that would fuel my typing.

The author's biases shine through to the point of making the article nothing but useless opinion. I'm still pissed at reading that drivel.

Edit: The QOTD as you phrased it would be interesting... but not if I have to use that article as a basis for anything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have any of your posts ever been the final reply to a QotD? How did that make you feel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a point at which a story game/game poem is just a creative writing prompt and no longer a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever played anything so aystemless or rules lite that it didn't feel like an RPG? Was it still fun - why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mbmbmbmbmb
lawingm wrote:
Is there a point at which a story game/game poem is just a creative writing prompt and no longer a game?

What is your definition of 'game'?
What combination (or ratio) of game vs. non-game elements are you happy with in roleplaying and similar activities (gamebooks, storygames, improv theatresports...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  52 , 53 , 54 , 55 , 56  Next »  [56] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.