Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1493 Posts
[1]  Prev «  55 , 56 , 57 , 58 , 59  Next »  [60] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek Help and How-To

Subject: Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] rpg [+] GM [+] [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You see on your subscriptions that there is a new QOTD and click the link to see what it is... Does your participation in the question thread depend on the question or do you read, post and subscribe regardless of the question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What RPGs have settings that you like very much, but you won't play because you dislike the dice mechanisms ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the non-legitimate criticisms usually levelled at the questions selected in QOTD, and why ?

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I'll start:

Question "x" is too broad.
Question "x" is too narrow.
Question "x" is not worded correctly
Question "x" is the wrong question altogether.
Game "y" is not even really a RPG/game in the first place.

Any others ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The shovel was a ground-breaking invention.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
What are the non-legitimate criticisms usually levelled at the questions selected in QOTD ?

I'll start:

Any others ?

Nope. This comes off as defensive and critical of feedback and I won't do that. I take responsibility for any question asked and I try to edit them to make them clearer when possible. The questions should be answered as written and if others feel the question is "too.... anything", then they may state their own clarification and answer their revised version. Sometimes questions are "too ... whatever" and sometimes that's the intent to solicit a broad range of answers and sometime it is by accident. Sometimes, even misinterpretation leads to good discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Mallet wrote:
What are the non-legitimate criticisms usually levelled at the questions selected in QOTD ?

I'll start:

Any others ?

Nope. This comes off as defensive and critical of feedback and I won't do that. I take responsibility for any question asked and I try to edit them to make them clearer when possible. The questions should be answered as written and if others feel the question is "too.... anything", then they may state their own clarification and answer their revised version. Sometimes questions are "too ... whatever" and sometimes that's the intent to solicit a broad range of answers and sometime it is by accident. Sometimes, even misinterpretation leads to good discussion.

Is there anything that could be done to mitigate disheartening tangents like those that took place during the QOTD Dec 10 2018 "rules lite" conversation ?

https://rpggeek.com/thread/2110893/qotd-dec-10-have-you-ever...

EDIT: That thread just got locked this morning by a RPGG moderator, so I guess I wasn't the only person dissatisfied with the way the conversation got out of control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

Is there anything that could be done to mitigate disheartening tangents like those that took place during the QOTD Dec 10 2018 "rules lite" conversation ?

Better moderation on my part, perhaps. The tangent wasn't necessarily unrelated, but the issue wasn't about the tangent. It is not always easy to predict where vehemently protected positions will occur. It is also impossible to predict when someone will misunderstand another and react adversely. Some poor choice of words exacerbated more poor choice of words. But nothing in violation of the forum rules. I step in when I can with gentle reminders but sometimes the conversation has run several hours without my awareness. I do not think these are issues with the question as much as it is an issue with the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry... "not a game" is a trigger for me. And I'm trying to stay away from things that I know will make me angry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Sorry... "not a game" is a trigger for me. And I'm trying to stay away from things that I know will make me angry.

Perfectly understandable. And I agree completey.

On the wargame subforum, there are endless discussions about « why x is not a true wargame », and, after over ten years, these « debates » become really old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What are your feelings about Science Fiction RPGs that include Magic, since the "Science" part in these games is usually unconstrained anyway ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Qotd about genre had me reflecting on this:

Are there any genres you're interested in exploring but haven't yet?

or maybe

Are there any genres you'd like to see more of in mainstream play?

I thought this might prompt discussions that lead to more games run by people looking for a genre experience who maybe hadn't found each other because they were looking at a specific system before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
mb
What are your thoughts about RPGs in which only the GM doesn't roll any dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the QoTD thread regarding what is a rule-light system, this question could get arduous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer, will you be playing a RPG on the 24th, 25th, 31st December, or 1st of January, and, if so, which game ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question: When you see someone trying to sell or drum up attention to their rpg system or rpg product on rpg geek, do you check on the user to see how long they've actually been a member and look up their contributions to rpg geek (or any of the geek sites?)
Does this alter your view of their post on their project they're trying to forward?
I concede there's nothing wrong with joining just to plug your game but if an established member with any kind of history here posted it would carry weight with me even though I try to judge based solely on merit, it's hard to listen to someone you think is just a shill.

Hopefully someone can turn this into a functioning QOTD, Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you fit in natural disasters into your rpg games and did it work well? How do you manage player agency during the disaster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you handle smartphones and tech at your rpg sessions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
What is your favorite gaming-related memory from this past year? It could be in-game actions, out-of-game hijinks, or maybe just reading a good rule book. Whatever moment really stands out to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a question a couple weeks ago about science fiction that has aged badly. How about the inverse question? What sci-fi have you read in which the science/setting has aged gracefully?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghargh wrote:

Is this QOTD close enough?
QOTD MAY 16: How important is it for you that the GM has the possibility of rolling dice in a RPG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
mb
pdzoch wrote:
Ghargh wrote:

Is this QOTD close enough?
QOTD MAY 16: How important is it for you that the GM has the possibility of rolling dice in a RPG?

Yes, thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mb
What possible implication of future technology are you especially concerned about/frightened of?
What possible implication of future technology are you especially excited about?
For the purpose of this question, "future technology" means developments and advancements we could plausibly see implemented within the next 10-20 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play by Forum Preventative Etiquette: what to do to prevent GMs or players from vanishing from PdFs without a trace without any explanation whatsoever ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do when you want an NPC to be killed asap by the PCs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"If I have any lasting worth, it will be because I have tried to make people remember what the Earth is meant to look like." -Mary Oliver, 1935-2019, RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the microbadge coupons RPGG gave you? If so, what did you get? If not, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  55 , 56 , 57 , 58 , 59  Next »  [60] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.