World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1580 Posts
[1]  Prev «  60 , 61 , 62 , 63 , 64  Next »  [64] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek Help and How-To

Subject: Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] rpg [+] GM [+] [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Has a weather phenomenon ever affected you when you purchase a game?

I don't understand this one. Are you asking if it's ever rained hard or something when I drove to the game store? Need clarification imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I meant something like a heavy snowfall or other act of God that has prevented a game to be delivered when requested after it has been released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Clare
United Kingdom
Watford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been asked before but:

OSR, mechanic or mindset?

Realistically do you need OSR rules to run an OSR game or is OSR a style of play that could be run with, for instance, 5e if you made it clear that is what you are aiming for?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supplementary: are there too many OSR systems out there and is this gamut of rules just creating confusion amongst those who would like to dip into the OSR world?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you write your own adventures for your games where do you get your plot ideas from?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you write your own adventures for your games where do you start? Plot, world, villain or somewhere else?

If you write your own adventures for your games, why do you do it? Is it because it's part of the 'fun' of GMing, is it out of necessity, is it because the published adventures don't meet what your group want, or something else?

Do you GM at conventions? If so why?

Do you use a generic rule system or do you prefer your rules to have an associated setting (however broad)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Six separate questions (or three if you want to group them):

1 What are some of your favourite adventure hooks or situations from published adventures or settings, and why?

2 What are some of your least favourite adventure hooks or situations from published adventures or settings, and why?

3 What are some of your favourite encounter ideas from published adventures or settings, and why?

4 What are some of your least favourite encounter ideas from published adventures or settings, and why?

5 Who are some of your favourite NPCs from published adventures or settings, and why?

6 Who are some of your least favourite NPCs from published adventures or settings, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When you post something on RPGG, can you easily tell when it is 'more desirable' to be amusing, or to be accurate ?

How can you tell, and to what extent are you successful ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Because they have no body to go with.
badge
Why don't skeleton ever go trick or treating?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

When you post something on RPGG, can you easily tell when it is 'more desirable' to be amusing, or to be accurate ?

Is this a question about knowing when to joke, tease playfully, use sarcasm, or be plain spoken and frank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are your best and worst skills as a player? That is, what most makes you a good player to have in a game and what most makes you a difficult player to have in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Mallet wrote:

Is this a question about knowing when to joke, tease playfully, use sarcasm, or be plain spoken and frank ?

When to joke or to be playful on one hand, and when to speak plainly on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
How often does everyone out there make rules bending characters for sessions at gaming conventions? Some conventions have demo games where you can make your own character for one shots. How does everyone out there deal with these situations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
What's more important to you in an RPG's combat system: having detailed and realistic rules for fights between humans (or human-like creatures) at the expense of needing simplified rules for non-human combatants, or having combat rules that work in the same way for all creatures regardless of their shape or size?

As illustrations of the former option, I'm thinking of games like HârnMaster and The Riddle of Steel (and its semi-clone Song of Swords) and the marvellously nuts Phoenix Command, all of which have extremely detailed armour-piece lists and hit-location charts for humans, and all of which then offer up completely different rules for use with non-humanoid combatants which essentially bypass the combat system's entire rationale.

For the latter option, I'm thinking of games like RuneQuest or GURPS, which use broader, less finely-detailed armour pieces and hit locations, but which also comfortably handle all kinds of creature types without significant rules changes or exceptions.

Feel free to re-word this, please; I'm not doing a great job of it. (For one thing, I think my bias is obvious.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Which gaming universe are you most loyal too? How many different books of the system do you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Because they have no body to go with.
badge
Why don't skeleton ever go trick or treating?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghargh wrote:
1. As a GM, do you sometimes make interruptions/intrusions which, in a way, break the 4th wall? I.e. intrusions that play with the emotions of a player as much as with the emotions of their character.

This sounds like a playing the player question -- running the game to have an effect on the player in addition to on the player character.

Edit: metagaming wasn't quite right (that is more about leveraging game knowledge as a player that a player character would not have in making a decision)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
mbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Ghargh wrote:
1. As a GM, do you sometimes make interruptions/intrusions which, in a way, break the 4th wall? I.e. intrusions that play with the emotions of a player as much as with the emotions of their character.

This sounds like a metagame question -- running the game to have an effect on the player in addition to on the player character.

Yes, thank you for rephrasing it to be clearer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you had lived in the Medieval Ages, would you have been a Rationalist, a Nominalist, or neither, and why ?

Shorter discussion here:

https://www.thoughtco.com/nominalism-vs-realism-2670598

https://gohighbrow.com/problem-of-universals-realism-vs-nomi...

Longer discussion here:

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/universals-medieval/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you ever run a scenario where the characters encountered an unidentified red button ? How did the scenario play out ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
What is the composition of your main / favorite group you rpg with? (e.g. 4 older guys, 1 wife of the guys; your son and 2 of his friends; your 3 best friends from elementary school)

We've done this one before, but it's been at least a couple years. It's a good question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is one:

When you create adventures that use "props" (e.g. elaborate battle mats, minis), how much do you obtain the props first then make the adventure, versus make the adventure then search for the props?

I ask prompted by this Kickstarter...
https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/250272/item/6719798#item6719798

That is an interesting artifact, and the maps seem quite nice, but it would be literally useless to me in every way given the way I design adventures (even if I ran a lot of games that use battlemats, which I don't). The only way it would seem useful, it seems to me, is if you designed adventures AROUND it, as opposed to the other way around. But maybe I am missing something? Or maybe I care too much about specific details?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Here is one:

When you create adventures that use "props" (e.g. elaborate battle mats, minis), how much do you obtain the props first then make the adventure, versus make the adventure then search for the props?

I ask prompted by this Kickstarter...
https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/250272/item/6719798#item6719798

That is an interesting artifact, and the maps seem quite nice, but it would be literally useless to me in every way given the way I design adventures (even if I ran a lot of games that use battlemats, which I don't). The only way it would seem useful, it seems to me, is if you designed adventures AROUND it, as opposed to the other way around. But maybe I am missing something? Or maybe I care too much about specific details?

Sort of related to this, and to today's question. What props do people like when playing an RPG? Perhaps including LARPs which can be way more prop-oriented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something that seems relevant to today's news:

"Have you ever used blackmail in an RPG, either as a player or a GM? How did that work out for your group?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
How about something that seems relevant to today's news:

"Have you ever used blackmail in an RPG, either as a player or a GM? How did that work out for your group?"

Simulated blackmail, right ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are examples of RPGs where the equipment price list tells you something significant or distinctive about the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
What are examples of RPGs where the equipment price list tells you something significant or distinctive about the game?

Great question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you write your own adventures for your games, what percentage of them would you say run as originally intended? What percentage of those would you say are as fun for those you run it for as you expected? More fun? Much less fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What RPGs do you like, that have a corresponding tabletop game that you enjoy also, or vice-versa ?

For instance, if you like the Infinity Corvus Belli miniatures wargame, do you also enjoy the Infinity RPG published by Modiphius ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't remember if there's been a question about which franchise/property/IP/whatever you;d like to see adapted into an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  60 , 61 , 62 , 63 , 64  Next »  [64] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.