Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Tech Support
Escape the Underdark
Dark Elves' Lair
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Space Gamer (Issue 15 - Jan 1978)
Drunken Bear Fighter
Tales from the Loop: GM Screen
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Into the Jungle
RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha
Forbidden Knowledge
Mutants & Marvels 1.0
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Book 04: Starship Traveller
Book 05: City of Thieves
Book 01: Dungeon of Dread
Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales
Griffin Mountain
The SKETCH System Core Rulebook
Dragon (Issue 72 - Apr 1983)
Heart of Ice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook
Fragged Empire: Core Rule Book
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Orbital 2100
Tales from the Loop
Tales from the Loop: Map
Tomb of Annihilation
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Pathfinder #136: Temple of the Peacock Spirit
Pathfinder #137: The City Outside of Time
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6288 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [252] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: Geek Citizenship Recognition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Citizenship [+] RPG [+] Geek_community [+] Varia [+] [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August 2016 Update: Please see the Site-Wide 1-year initiative for bonus offers: Geek Citizenship Stars

It's been a while since I've run any sort of initiative and it's time to get back into the swing of things. This is a good time to do it - before Virtuacon gets rolling!

Announcing the Geek Citizenship Recognition microbadges.

mb - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
mb - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.
mb - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?
mb - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
mb - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!

These special star awards are gifted by your fellow geeks. Here are the rules for gifting:

Each geek (whether or not they already have a star) can gift one star per calendar month (a calendar month starts on the 1st and ends at midnight before the next 1st of the month). When a new month starts, you cannot go back and gift for a previous month - do not ask.
Do not discuss any plots, schemes, strategies or ponzi schemes (in public or private) for gifting these to each other. If I find out, they will be stripped from all involved.
Do not use a 2nd account (sock puppet, etc) of any kind to gift anyone a star. I also ask that spouses and significant others refrain from gifting eachother a star.
Once gifted, you cannot change your mind.
You may not gift a 2nd star to the same person ever.
Do not reveal to whom you have gifted a star - this remains anonymous.
Please check that the person you want to gift a star to doesn't already have all five stars (it will save us all time)
Geekmail me privately with the username of the person you are gifting a star to. They will automatically get the next star level tier based on any stars they may have previously received.

That's it.

Think of these stars as a kind of Uber Thumb for other geeks you really enjoy here on the boards for any reason. It's an award given by the people for the people and without much in the way of criteria.

These sorts of awards are not often well liked by everyone because folks feel it turns into a popularity contest. I suppose so... thumbs and Geek of the Week are similar but I liken this to thumbs because the (admittedly short) supply renews every month. I am not making this post site-wide (as i didn't vet it through Aldie)... only for the RPG side though it is, obviously, open to everyone on any domain.

When you send me your names, please use the [username=xxxxx] tag so that the candidates appear as:

Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb

It makes it easier for me to gift the micros. Also, after I acknowledge your gift, there is no need to thank me which further piles up my geekmails

People Who Don't Want Stars List
The following folks have made it known they do not wish to receive stars. Please honor their requests:

Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin
msg tools
badge

I am making the list public because it will save me time from having to apply a filter and inform the person who did the nominations... and this has already got me stretched thin! If you want to be on the list, just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I think this is a good idea.

of course, suggesting only three this time was difficult. I can't imagine how it will be when I only get one.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love that idea Dave. It's gonna be hard choosing though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone just gifted this badge to

Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Which has brought a tear to my old eyes.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
of course, suggesting only three this time was difficult. I can't imagine how it will be when I only get one.

Brutal. I'm embarrassed at my oversights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. Community driven awards will be a nice kudos for the really active geeks and those who contribute in unique ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! I've already distributed those that I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
service guarantees citizenship

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds really nice I'll have to get on it when I can get back to the computer (I dislike doing much on these cell phones). Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!
I will have to ponder about my vote! meeple

Should the mb overtext include something like "RPGGeek" or is it obvious because the mb is in the RPG tier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. doesn't need RPGGeek in the title as it's available to any geek. I just don't feel comfortable running this site-wide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Great idea!

If we nominate someone who already has five stars (either through obliviousness, or because they've already been nominated for their fifth star but haven't received it yet), do we get our nomination back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Great idea!

If we nominate someone who already has five stars (either through obliviousness, or because they've already been nominated for their fifth star but haven't received it yet), do we get our nomination back?

Yes, you would get it back. Do try to see if someone already got their fifth star, however, as it will save time and effort

The first two to reach 5 stars are:

Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge

Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb

If anyone believes those two shouldn't be the first to reach five stars, I hereby challenge your belief system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Thanks everyone.

I can think of quite a few people who should have reached 5 stars ahead of me. I'm sure they won't be far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Zero funds set aside for the study and preservation of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
I would worry that with every active geek getting three stars now and then one per month, and with no "overflow", star inflation would set in pretty soon. Everyone but those of us whose favourite words are "bah, humbug" will be walking around with three or four of the things before long. Bah!

Random questions:

* I assume the giver of a star is always anonymous?

* Weird hypothetical case: Bob gets two stars, deletes his first star, then gets another star. Does he get the third star, or does the new star refill his first slot?

* Will you keep track of who gave whom a star in a big database and ban everyone who does try to give another star to the same person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Zero funds set aside for the study and preservation of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
wavemotion wrote:
The first two to reach 5 stars are:

Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge

Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If anyone believes those two shouldn't be the first to reach five stars, I hereby challenge your belief system!

I must admit one of these was among the first three people I thought of. You'll never guess which one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Random questions:

* I assume the giver of a star is always anonymous?

* Weird hypothetical case: Bob gets two stars, deletes his first star, then gets another star. Does he get the third star, or does the new star refill his first slot?

* Will you keep track of who gave whom a star in a big database and ban everyone who does try to give another star to the same person?

1. Yes, always anonymous.
2. If he deletes the next star would fill that slot.
3. No. I will be using memory and honor system. I may look back at my geek mails if I suspect issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I'm a bit thick.

HOW... how do I "gift" one of these to somebody?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
OK, so I'm a bit thick.

HOW... how do I "gift" one of these to somebody?

Geek mail me the three usernames. Simple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
I would worry that with every active geek getting three stars now and then one per month, and with no "overflow", star inflation would set in pretty soon. Everyone but those of us whose favourite words are "bah, humbug" will be walking around with three or four of the things before long. Bah!

The way I see it... if I had started this last year (when I first had the idea but not the time), folks like Jonna and Steve and about 15 others would have their 5 stars by now. So the 3 stars per geek for the coming week just gets us past the obvious eventuality and saves everyone time! It means we don't have to waste 3 months getting to a good starting point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I just saw my geekmail with five new microbadges and then ventured into this thread to see what it is all about. You guys nearly made me cry, I'm very touched by this. I'd like to say so much more, but I'm feeling pretty speechless right now.

Thank you so much!!!!!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
admin
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mb
Kattvippa wrote:
Wow, I just saw my geekmail with five new microbadges and then ventured into this thread to see what it is all about. You guys nearly made me cry, I'm very touched by this. I'd like to say so much more, but I'm feeling pretty speechless right now.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Hey, that frees up one of my nominations at least
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am stunned!modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e
badge
Running Call of Cthulhu 7e, Savage Worlds
mbmbmbmbmb
Mavis101 wrote:
I am stunned!modest

Well deserved, Mavis.

You too, Jonna and Steve. And Evil Bob. And Bruce. My gosh, it's a love fest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [252] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.