Dread
Wilderness Survival Guide
Deities & Demigods
Greyhawk Adventures
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Because I'm a glutton for some serious punishment, I made some management decisions (I'm already regretting this, just so you know ). I decided that we won't in the future start a new folder for each individual game for microbadges. Instead, I've started the project of adding folders from A - Z and slowly by slowly moving the existing ones into those folders. This will take me a very long time, as it's all manual work from creating the new folder to moving each badges individually into that folder and then deleting the old folder. So please be patient with the chaos that will be there for a while.

Question for English speaking people: should I file games that start with 'a' under 'A' or the first letter of the first actual word? E.g. 'A Penny for Your Thought', would it go under 'A' or 'P'? Thanks

I'd go with A.

But what exactly does this decision mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:
Because I'm a glutton for some serious punishment, I made some management decisions (I'm already regretting this, just so you know ). I decided that we won't in the future start a new folder for each individual game for microbadges. Instead, I've started the project of adding folders from A - Z and slowly by slowly moving the existing ones into those folders. This will take me a very long time, as it's all manual work from creating the new folder to moving each badges individually into that folder and then deleting the old folder. So please be patient with the chaos that will be there for a while.

Question for English speaking people: should I file games that start with 'a' under 'A' or the first letter of the first actual word? E.g. 'A Penny for Your Thought', would it go under 'A' or 'P'? Thanks

I'd go with A.

But what exactly does this decision mean?

It means that when I'm done, the games will be filed under A - Z and not on their own folders. I will keep some major folders like 'Call of Cthulhu' or 'D & D' under C and D, because those folders contain more than just games' badges, there's all kinds of related badges under those folders. If we keep adding a new folder for each game, in time there will be wayyyyy too many games' folders under 'Role-Playing Games', so I had to make the decision.

I've already done A and B, so you can go check what it looks like now. It's like board games and video games. Did this answer you question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interests > Animals > Birds > National > Canada >
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:

The standard rule is to ignore "a", "an" and "the".

Sjeng wrote:
edbolme wrote:
Baroque Space Opera:

in that order imo.

I think
gives too much of a different impression from how it looks on the cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
Another from the wayback machine.

Spirit of 77:

<

Thoughts?

Great start, but can we do 77 instead of 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

I was going to do exactly that, but then I noticed that board games are all filed under 'A', if the name starts with 'a'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:

When alphabetizing by title, ignore the following leading words: a, an, the

This also helps because people may not recall if something is titled An American Apocalypse, or The American Apocalypse, or simply American Apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
edbolme wrote:
Another from the wayback machine.

Spirit of 77:

<

Thoughts?

Great start, but can we do 77 instead of 7?

I tried. You lose all the texture in the number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:

I was going to do exactly that, but then I noticed that board games are all filed under 'A', if the name starts with 'a'.

On the other hand, the artists under Music do ignore articles, with one exception: mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
Kattvippa wrote:

Just because they were wrong doesn't mean we should continue the tradition. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:

Weighing in, I'd except to find it under 'P'.

Just like I expect The Quiet Year to be under 'Q'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys, I will definitely ignore a, an and the in the beginning, as I originally thought I would
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've already done a big portion of all the changes, I started re-thinking. Should I keep the folders for each game, only under a folder of the first letter of the name? That way the folder itself won't get too cluttered and it would be easier to keep all related badges under each games' folder.

If you cannot understand what I'm trying to say, go check under Role-Playing Games, Settings etc -> D -> Dungeons and Dragons

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
Now that I've already done a big portion of all the changes, I started re-thinking. Should I keep the folders for each game, only under a folder of the first letter of the name? That way the folder itself won't get too cluttered and it would be easier to keep all related badges under each games' folder.

If you cannot understand what I'm trying to see, go check under Role-Playing Games, Settings etc -> D -> Dungeons and Dragons

Thoughts?

I like the idea of grouping the game folders. The list just keeps growing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The subfolders don't seem necessary to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
The subfolders don't seem necessary to me.

I wouldn't have thought of this until I hit several microbadges that belong in a group with a certain game, but the name has nothing to do with the game, like settings or some such.

Edit: So they would go to separate folders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have subfolders for anything which could use them for any reason, but no folders for the majority of games with just one or two straightforward game fan badges? So for instance you could have a Runequest folder under R for all Glorantha stuff. Either that, or stuff any related non-game badges in RPG Related like the Glorantha runes are now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far a I know, without looking, in board games the only letter with a subfolder is for Warhammer. D&D would probably be considered as big in the RPG world wouldn't it? I don't think it's necessary beyond a major few though, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
You could have subfolders for anything which could use them for any reason, but no folders for the majority of games with just one or two straightforward game fan badges? So for instance you could have a Runequest folder under R for all Glorantha stuff. Either that, or stuff any related non-game badges in RPG Related like the Glorantha runes are now.

This was how I was initially going to do it. I mean, having subfolders for anything that has more than straightforward game badges. Then I started thinking that it might get complicated when people create badges later for things that don't have folder and don't ask for one and we end up having stray badges. I might be overthinking this

I'm leaning toward making subfolders for stuff that has either number of badges or badges that have completely different name.

Thanks for all the input so far, looking forward to hearing ore opinions before making up my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fateforge fan

It's in red a fair bit on the KS page which saves me finding a background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happyshopper wrote:
Fateforge fan

It's in red a fair bit on the KS page which saves me finding a background.

>

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it the way it is tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Zambon
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Live long and prosper
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have just submitted mb on request from JordsAU. The MB is still pending for approval.
The requester has asked me whether it is possible to change the mouseover from
"Australia’s symbol of diversity and aspirations of unity"
to
"Golden Wattle Flag - Australia’s symbol of diversity and aspirations of unity"

I am passing the request on to you. Hopefully it will take a moment to do it...

Thanks a lot, both from me and from the requester, Giulio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
BloodyMe wrote:
Hi,

I have just submitted mb on request from JordsAU. The MB is still pending for approval.
to

It's quicker (and more polite) to delete your own submission and resub with the proper wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Zambon
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Live long and prosper
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
BloodyMe wrote:
Hi,

to

It's quicker (and more polite) to delete your own submission and resub with the proper wording.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that! Sorry for the waste of time. I'll do it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  109 , 110 , 111 , 112 , 113  Next »  [113] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.