Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drabbles are speculative fiction stories of exactly 100 words of length. They have been a hobby of mine for years, but so far my drabbles have been in Finnish. Now, with World Con coming to Helsinki, I've translated some to English. Here you are, enjoy!

Boys’ School

Lisa changed her gender to get into the boys’ school. She was Race now, and got to play football. In the girls’ school they only had gymnastics. Race didn’t hate gymnastics, it just wasn’t his style.

And style was everything. It took him some time to learn to wear pants. The boys were little bit odd. Cars were important, so was playing war. Race preferred walking in the forest and cooking. You can’t change everything, the doctor had said.

Race wept every night until he fell asleep. The operation was irreversible, however. To make things worse, girls started playing football.

Entomophobia

I hate insects. I really do. Whenever I see them, I freeze. Therefore it is very, very hard to tend the garden. It is full of bugs of all sizes. My daughter Jaana, on the other hand, loves them. She carries insects inside, and after seeing my reaction, carries them out again laughing.

”Mother, I am playing the Queen!” Jaana shouts from the back yard.
”In a moment”, I answer. I gather my things and go look. I scream. Jaana is squatting with her pants down. From her, tiny eggs are spurting, changing into ants when they hit the ground.

Fairy Forest

I drive through the fairy forest. I stop and scrape the windscreen clean of their bodies. They stick very easily, being almost pure protein. I light a cigarette.

Troll’s blood drives them away, but it is almost impossible to get. Wing extract of dragonflies does the opposite, but it is also very hard to come by. I finish my cigarette and pour some liquid into the windscreen washer. I am ready to go.

I turn the car around and accelerate into the forest. The fairies start smashing into the windscreen like raindrops. Within two months, the bastards will be extinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I congratulate you. Those stories, in very few words, manage to convey scenes and feelings. Unfortunately, I find them all a bit too Twilight Zone for my taste. Disturbing. -> Good skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mixula wrote:
I drive through the fairy forest. I stop and scrape the windscreen clean of their bodies.

I love these opening lines. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats! I didn't even know what a drabble was until I read this post. It seems interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls