Popular Tags: [View All]
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Housekeeping First:
In-Character Thread - https://rpggeek.com/thread/1627849/ic-omega-514-game-full
Out-of-Character Threadhttps://rpggeek.com/thread/1627828/ooc-omega-514-game-full
Obsidian Portal for this Campaign:https://firewall-514.obsidianportal.com/
Hey guys.

Thanks for joining me here. Housekeeping stuff first. Glad to have you here, and as always I am open to suggestions as to how I can do things better.

Here is a user guide for the site itself https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/User_Guide but it basically boils down to being nice and not spoiling other people's fun, which I think you're all pretty good at anyway.

The forum has an inbuilt die-roller, you can click on the result to expand it out:
If we use percentile. 1d100 = (13) = 13

If we go ahead with Fate 4dF -> ( +0 +1 +1 +0) -> + 2

Feel free to throw some dice attached to this thread. There is a guide on dice rolling here: https://rpggeek.com/wiki/page/More_About_Geekroller#

To start with, I'm going to go along with the trend of having two threads, In Character (IC) and Out of Character (OOC, aka this one). So here in the OOC will be crapping on about things and rules discussions, leaving the IC thread for gameplay.

Edit: IC thread is here, currently just for playing around and getting used to things. https://rpggeek.com/article/23542315#23542315

A place to put character sheets incoming. Will firm up when we decide on a system. Pls vote on the poll below.

Edit: It would also be great to get into the habit of thumbing things up as you read them (both IC and OOC), so we can tell who has seen what, and when is a decent time to move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 940110. Aerrhead
  • 1d100 =
  • (13) =
  • If we use percentile.
  • Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 am
  • [+]
  • 940111. Aerrhead
  • 4dF =
  • ( +0 +1 +1 +0) =
  • + 2
  • If we go ahead with Fate
  • Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:02 am
  • [+]
  • 940144. ChilliPhilli
  • 1d100 =
  • (35) =
  • Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:03 am
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First important question:

Eclipse Fate or Eclipse Phase?

Personally I am happy to go back to being a bit more number crunchy with classic EP (plus I like having a few more skills and stuff to play with ).

Secondly, as far as storyline is concerned, I am thinking it may be best to rewind until right after the Xiu Xiu Kitty exoplanet incident, as that was the last big milestone. Happy to hear your thoughts on it.

Poll: Preferred System?
Which gaming system would you prefer?
Eclipse Phase (d100)
Eclipse Fate (4dF)
      4 answers
Poll created by Aerrhead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Ho
msg tools
It's an interesting format, but I'm sure we'll quickly get used to it with time and practice. Looking forward to playing with you all again, I've missed this group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChilliPhilli wrote:
It's an interesting format, but I'm sure we'll quickly get used to it with time and practice. Looking forward to playing with you all again, I've missed this group!

Glad to have you, man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The IC thread is also up, here:
https://rpggeek.com/article/23542315#23542315
Currently just sandboxing it so we can all get used to formatting. If you hit "Quote" under my post you should be able to see what I've done.

It would be great if you could claim a colour for your speech (feel free to take AJAX or Kat's colours, as I was just playing around), and that'll be first in best dressed.

Otherwise I'm thinking of using bold for instructions:
eg Please roll Fray at -10.

While using italics for mesh interactions.

A templates for character sheets (and a place to put them) still in the works.

Edit: For clarification, colour is for when your character is speaking directly (out loud, or through the mesh in italics). For in character narration feel free to use plain text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Sideways
Australia
flag msg tools
Okey, so it looks we're going to go back to the crunchy cornflakes of vanilla EP, rather than the soggy cereal of FATE.*

*I still love FATE, but I really needed to drive that metaphor into the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Sideways
Australia
flag msg tools
So, Eshu has entered the scene, and started engaging in some brotherly hijinks.

And because I want to punish Aerro, the first roll is an opposed Infosec check

Eshu & presumably Ajax both have Infosec 60.

Now, if I recall correctly, a brute force hack is a task action that lasts 20 Turns (1 Minute).

Eshu has Intuitive Cracker, level 2, reducing Brute Force Hack actions to 12 Turns

Eshu will be boosting his speed to Speed 2, so it will take 6 Action Turns (18 secs), to try and gain access to AJAX's avatar.

A brute force hack gains a +30 modifier, so Eshu's skill is effectively 90.

However, a Brute Force hack immediately alerts the defender of the attempt (which is ok, because this the equivalent of Eshu giving Ajax a noogie - annoying, but clearly in jest).

Eshu rolled a 15, so Ajax would need to roll better than that but under 60, to keep Eshu out of Ajax's system.

If Eshu gets in, he would then need to make another opposed Infosec check, at -30 (-20 because Brute Force hacking automatically leaves you in "Locked" status, Core, p257 & -10 to change someone's AR avatar, CORE, p259) to change AJAX's avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Sideways
Australia
flag msg tools
Oh, and Eshu should be assumed to be speaking Yoruba unless otherwise indicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rush Limbaugh
msg tools
Hey qq, is there a reason we aren't running this through (or in conjunction with) obsidian portal? for resources, backgrounds, character sheets etc? or are there resource here I'm not familiar with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, that's a very good point. Esp. as OP has character sheets for EP already built in. Let me clean it up a bit and then I'll linky again.

Edit: Currently mid 24-hour game design challenge thing. So here is the OP, feel free to muck around and add things or whatever, otherwise I'll be putting more up to date details in soon.

https://firewall-514.obsidianportal.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Sideways wrote:
If Eshu gets in, he would then need to make another opposed Infosec check, at -30 (-20 because Brute Force hacking automatically leaves you in "Locked" status, Core, p257 & -10 to change someone's AR avatar, CORE, p259) to change AJAX's avatar.

Gonna roll this next roll for you (hope that's okay) just to keep things moving a little (yes, even though this is sandboxy at the moment). In future though, if you have conditional things like that, feel free to roll them in your post. If they don't get used, no bother (and any modifiers I can add later, and will let you know here).

You could put conditional actions into a spoiler window, using the "SP" button above, or o and /o in square brackets, or using ooc and /ooc tags.

eg
If Eshu's intrusion attempt is successful, he will immediately try to change Ajax's avatar to a goat. (ooc tag)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Example additional roll 1d100 = (85) = 85 (spoiler tag)

Edit: Having another look through the hacking rules, looks like you're at -30 for being locked, but it isn't actually opposed. Of course, Ajax will be gunning for you on his action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 941726. Aerrhead
  • 1d100 =
  • (85) =
  • Example additional roll
  • Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:41 am
Rush Limbaugh
msg tools
So if its at all possible, can we get a recap as to what has happened up to the rollback point? it's been some time we've played and my alzheimers is pretty advanced these days... I just think a story recap might be a good point to push off from regarding what everyone wants to do story wise.

specifically i'm interested in knowing if Prism is in his morph, or rocking around in his informorph state. I have separate stat sheets depending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my notes, but I'll definitely post as best a recap as I can manage soon.

As we're basically starting again (because it's been ages), just with the same location and characters I'm happy to mostly retcon everyone back to their natural state, such as Prism having his booty body back. That said, I will likely be keeping details such as Munire Baris' loathing of Prism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Short recap is up.

Prism eating Munire still happened, it just isn't in the operational archives. Also, everyone can reset to their natural state if they so desire (though feel free to keep any interesting things you picked up along the way, maybe just remind me).

Also, if you have things to do, feel free to post. Each person can usually do one or two things in each time period, I can certainly catch up. Strict turn stuff will only really apply in combat situations, and even then we can post anytime and I can reorder according to initiative/what have you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Ho
msg tools
Where would we find the recap, for those who are still working out the Obsidian Portal and forum bits and pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Ho
msg tools
I'm a little confused as to how to make a comment without replying to a post.
Also, Flash will speak in quote marks to indicate he is actually speaking in English, regardless of the actual means of communication and how it's understood by those he's communicating with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChilliPhilli wrote:
Where would we find the recap, for those who are still working out the Obsidian Portal and forum bits and pieces?

Recap is here:

https://firewall-514.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/welcom...

Feel free to comment/add things if you can think of anything. Also, anyone needing a player invite to that particular campaign please let me know.

Still getting used to RPGgeek myself, but I'm pretty sure you can't post without "quoting" or "replying", unless you're starting a new forum thread. Just know that any time you do quote or reply, it will appear down the bottom as the latest post. Quoting will let you reference earlier posts.

The way that 'quick' reply and quote works is that it opens the reply/quote box under the post you clicked on, and you can have multiple ones open for copy/pasting formatting and quotes and whatnot.

Reply and Quote take you to another screen, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Goodwit
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
oOoOo goblin
mbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Forum_Formatting

This is generally the most helpful, comprehensive guide I can find about using these forums. It is on BGG rather than RPGG but the forums work the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question then, for everyone. Would you prefer to have a list of characters sheets here, to keep it all together, or use the Obsidian Portal character sheets?

Edit: Personally, I think it'd be much easier to use OP sheets, if you guys don't mind filling it in. Otherwise, send me a copy of your sheet and I'll do data entry for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rush Limbaugh
msg tools
I'm keen for keeping resources separate (ie in the OP) and keep this thread as a narrative/play thread. You can always have a separate tab open for checking resources on obsidian portal.

in game terms, how are we distinguishing character actions and speech from general thread discussion? iFrom what was said earlier, I guess We're choosing a colour for each character, mesh discussions in italics. Maybe do the black/ blue thing for OOC/in character block text?

How about I propose that we put square brackets around checks and rolls in the context of the actions we're taking

eg: Prism is going to send a message to Muire I understand you're unlikely to read this, nor do I anticipate you're likely to change your oppinion of me. I feel the need to apologise, once again, for the unconsciounable actions I thrust upon you. Since that incident it's come out into the open the issues I've had to deal with, the legacy left by those who first promoted me to this conciousness. My struggle with those impulses has been long, and will continue long into the future I'm sure. I know I can't ask for your help with dealing with my inner demons. But I want you to know that I respect and admire you, and have a hope that, in the distant future, you can come to terms with... what happened. Maybe in that day we will have the opportunity to try to repair whateve relationship we had, and our early interactions can be a distant story. [ACADEMICS: PSYCHOLOGY (75)]1d100 = (1) = 1

How does that sound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 945689. Pronato
  • 1d100 =
  • (1) =
  • Wed Sep 7, 2016 12:15 am
Rush Limbaugh
msg tools
urgh, that roll. Are we still playing blackjack rules? So highest value under your score is the goal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, still blackjack.
Also still working on the "Your Networking is your Rep score" for simplicity.

As for OOC discussion, there is an OOC tag [ ooc ] and [ /ooc ] (take the brackets out) which makes things look like this.

Square brackets are a bit of an issue maybe, as they are what RPGG uses for formatting and stuff, you know?

Personally I was going to use [ b ] bold text [ /b ] when giving roll instructions and stuff, so maybe could use that? So your post would look like:

eg: Prism is going to send a message to Muire I understand you're unlikely to read this, nor do I anticipate you're likely to change your oppinion of me. I feel the need to apologise, once again, for the unconsciounable actions I thrust upon you. Since that incident it's come out into the open the issues I've had to deal with, the legacy left by those who first promoted me to this conciousness. My struggle with those impulses has been long, and will continue long into the future I'm sure. I know I can't ask for your help with dealing with my inner demons. But I want you to know that I respect and admire you, and have a hope that, in the distant future, you can come to terms with... what happened. Maybe in that day we will have the opportunity to try to repair whateve relationship we had, and our early interactions can be a distant story. Academics:Psychology 1d100 = (86) = 86

As another note, seeing how the comment on the roll shows up.

Edit: Really, whatever works and is easy to do, though. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 945727. Aerrhead
  • 1d100 =
  • (86) =
  • Academics:Psychology
  • Wed Sep 7, 2016 1:22 am
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Aerrhead previously rolled 1d100 = (86) = 86 (Academicssychology)

Sigh... Let this be a lesson. Remember to put a space between your colons and whatnot.

Edit: Just FYI, there is a checkbox above the "Submit" bottom to disable emoticons. Now I know why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aer Head
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I'm going to be trying to do longer posts, with a bit more story moving perhaps, but basically trying to make things more useful to you guys.

Feel free to react to parts of it, or all of it in order. You can quote relevant parts to respond to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rush Limbaugh
msg tools
alright so I'll run like that then, with "ooc" comments within the tags. Everthing else will then default to the black text for in character actions:

Prism has the surprising realisation that despite recent events and team-mate sentiment, nobody has yet suggested he remove his stomach module yet. He goes to the stores and makes himself a Collins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |