The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
She Bleeds
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Princes of the Apocalypse
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Fiasco
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Adventure Afoot in the Reikland!
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
The Quiet Year
Fate Accelerated
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Orc in the Well
The Skeletons
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Ironsworn
Knights & Legends
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Fantasy World Creator
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
RuneQuest (2nd Edition)
Primetime Adventures (Second Edition)
Sherpa
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Knight Hawks
A Spy in Isengard
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tortured Souls! (Issue 1 - Oct/Nov 1983)
The Creature Vault
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Numenera
A Game of Thrones d20-Based Open Gaming RPG
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Blades in the Dark
Tech Support
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
Storm King's Thunder
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
The Witcher
Art and Arcana: A Visual History
The ABCs of D&D
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,322 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
744 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 

Shadowbrook Manor» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Mystery at Shadowbrook Manor [IC] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2017 [+] [View All]
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Mystery at Shadowbrook Manor




OOC Thread
Character Gallery
Labyrinth Lord Rules
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Adventuring Guidelines

Don't be a ghost, make a daily post

With civility in mind, remember always to be kind

Where ye dare to to speak, assert boldly what passes through the teeth

If character ye must break, grey those words which ye spake

Thumb the posts you have read so that we know ye are not dead


Dramatis Personae

Sir Friedrich - A veteran of a forgotten war
Norville Shaggford - A scoundrel and highwayman
Kora of the Outpost - A shadowy necromancer
Brock Pickbeard - A gourmand of fond of levity
Alanthus Reylamour - A man of the cloth, far from his flock
Quinten Marmota - College dropout
Mr. Toddlefoot - A feline of lavish taste
Too Much - An enormous canine unmatched in appetite and cowardice
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
Avatar
mbmbmb
ZOINKS!

The stagecoach you hired has snapped its axle on the desolate highway between Bartertown and Vornheim, stranding you deep among the haunted pines of The Whispering Wood. The driver and his enormous dog, Too Much, inspect the damage and conclude that the coach is beyond repair. The driver has begun to unharness one of the carriage horses so he can ride for help when someone notices a flickering light beyond the trees.

"Jenkies! I think it's a house..."


The driver speculates as he arranges his horse's saddle:

"My old man used to say these woods is haunted, on accounts of them being the former estate of some right-powerful magician called Iucounu. The wizard retired hereabouts, reclused in his mansion and surrounded by all the weird and wonderful treasures he had gathered on his adventures. Rumor has it that the old conjurer went insane out here, whether by black magic or natural inclination none can rightly say, and that by virtue of his occult dealings his twisted psyche was imprinted on the forest. When I was a lad, folks would come out here, hunting for the magician's manor, but nobody ever found nothing, and some of them was got by wolves ... or worse. Nowadays, I think its all but forgot, and that's best by my reckoning."

The driver pets his great dane as he addresses the passengers.

"It's six hours or more to Vornheim, and I shant return until tomorrow. Stay with the coach and keep the fire going. Too Much here is match for any beasties might be lurking hereabouts. He will keep you safe."


With that the driver mounts his horse and spurs the steed toward Vornheim.

As soon as his master is out of sight, the great dane gives a howl and dashes into the woods, straight for the mysterious mansion!

***

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Shadow Brook Manor 17:00:00
Part One
The Grounds


You stumble through the pines on to the lawn of a large estate nestled in the dark pine forest. A cold wind is blowing, and as you take in the surroundings a light rain begins to fall from a darkening sky. Before you there is an enormous white house in emmaculate condition. It is two stories tall, and stark white. A balcony hangs over the front porch.

Scatted around the house is a menagerie of bizarre topiary creatures modeled on the nightmares of a truly unfortunate soul. They are faintly illuminated by an eerie incandescence cast by the walls of the house. The topiary, like the lawn, are well tended and neatly trimmed.

The windows, both upstairs and down, are dark. The front of the house faces south.
To the north there is a small shed, whose doors stand wide open.

From somewhere on the grounds you hear the ferocious barking of a large dog. Too Much has found something!

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Baker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Brock eyes the manor suspiciously and lets out an anxious laugh.
Well lads; we followed that tail-wagger this far. Might as well find out what in the heavens would posses anything to run towards this damnable domicile.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
No world shall be beyond my rule; no enemy shall be beyond my wrath.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alanthus shuffles uncomfortably.

Aye, Brock. This place has a most ominous air about it indeed.

Alanthus instinctively reaches for the holy symbol hanging from his neck.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich nods stoically.

"Let us make a trail that takes us past yon out building. We may learn something of the residents from the things they store there."

Then, Friedrich steps foward to lead the charge toward the shed, turning his head slightly to see who follows.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
No world shall be beyond my rule; no enemy shall be beyond my wrath.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodding, Alanthus follows Friedrich.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bryant
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Looking towards the party and then stepping towards Friedrich slightly.

The shed seems to be reasonable place to investigate. No need to trouble the master of this manor over something as insignificant as a misplaced pet. Perhaps Too Much has only been attracted to some rodent or bowl of left out feed.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Baker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Alright there Friedrich. I s'pose that wee shed looks a tad more inviting than the main house. But we best stay on our guard. Brock follows slowly, his trusty pick at the ready. As he heads towards the northern structure he listens carefully; trying to get a sense of the barking's point of origin
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Paul Pizzica
United States
Hoffman Estates
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The power of W.A.M. compels you!
Avatar
mb
Norville, skeptical of any wide open doors, nevertheless follows his companions.

I bethink not this is wise...but I'm not going off on mine own.

As he approaches the shed, Norville checks for traps at the entrance.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1024448. Mozart78
  • 1d100 =
  • (92) =
  • 92
  • Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:20 am
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
Avatar
mbmbmb
The Shed 17:10
The rotting, dilapidated shed stands about 20' from the northern wall of the manor. It is 15' long by 5' wide, and has a rusted metal roof. The doors creak and sway in the wind, occasionally slamming against the shed with alarming force. The frantic commotion and unsettling sounds almost make the shack look ... alive.

From your current vantage, you can see that an archway in the northern wall of the manor opens into a courtyard, although you cannot see inside.

100' away, in the northeast corner of the grounds, stands another small wooden building surrounded by the ghastly topiary abominations that clutter the place.

party is at the red dot. did the warriors upgrade their armor?


Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dost thou bethink I placed this plate here by mistake?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
??? 1d6 = (4) = 4
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1024914. rebuscarnival
  • 1d6 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • ???
  • Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm
Nate Baker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Upon approaching the south side of the shed Brock remarks Any of you crafty lot Shaggford, care to venture a look? Unless our stalwart knight would rather take the lead.

Sorry, for a minute I thought we had more than one thief.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Call for the dog. Secure that bloody dog!

Kora cautiously meanders along with the party keeping a sharp eye on the manor.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Phillips
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll wait. Stealth may prove the better play.

I turn so that I have as clear a view of both the shed and the manor as possible as a means of guarding the thief's back.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody here is stealth while that dog is making a ruckus you fools! If it won't be shut-up, I'll feed it my dagger or sing it to sleep!

Kora unsheathes his dagger nervously. Trembling.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Baker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Let's not get to hasty now lad. We are here at the shed so we best investigate one way or another. I agree, we need to find that pup, but it seems foolish to go running through these grounds. Shaggford, if you are willing to approach the door under shadow I will stand just out of sight to cover you. Otherwise, I will take point.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Paul Pizzica
United States
Hoffman Estates
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The power of W.A.M. compels you!
Avatar
mb
Norville is skeptical leading the expedition into the shed, but decides to play along...for now.

I'll expl're if 't be true i has't to, but thee bett'r backeth me up Brock

Norville peeks inside the shed...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bryant
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
If I may interject, if we are all in agreement to the suspicious nature of this shack, then one of us should circle around the back and see if they can not get a better vantage behind that tree. That one there, the one I can just make out up to the right.

Mr. Shaggford, you strike me as man most experienced with such activities, maybe as you pass behind you’ll find a crack or loose board deeming it unnecessary to even think of trees.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John-Paul Pizzica
United States
Hoffman Estates
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The power of W.A.M. compels you!
Avatar
mb
Norville has had a change of heart.

I've hath changed mine own mind. I'll wend 'round the backeth

He glides noiselessly around to the back of the shed.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Baker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I'll cover ye as best I can. Brock proclaims, before approaching the the front of the shed. He creeps between the southern corner and the bush (tree?) then times his movement to step in front of the door as it swings wide, pinning the door against the shed with his back. Standing there, just out of sight of the opening, he listens intently for any sound of movement inside.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kora takes a knee in the shadows of the outside wall of the shed directly in front of the party.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
No world shall be beyond my rule; no enemy shall be beyond my wrath.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alanthus takes up a position just behind Brock at the front of the shed.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bryant
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
Quinten moves to crouch with his back against the center of the SW wall, waiting for something to occur.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Psst! Cleric, what say you about following me towards that out of control canine? I don't like poking hither thither while that beast wakes the dead! Time is of the essence...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.