Lankhmar: Savage Tales of the Thieves Guild
SOLO: Solo RPG Campaigns for the Cepheus Engine
Forest Keeper Deluxe Edition
Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage
Philohuman BBQ
Natural Selection
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Delta Green
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Escape from Innsmouth (2nd Edition)
Wizard
Secrets
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Goldfinger
Villains
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
For Your Information
Hot War
Gamma World Roleplaying Game
Heart of Ice
Wu Xing: The Ninja Crusade
Wraith Recon
Runic Magic System for use in L.R.P
Tome of Adventure Design
DCC #067: Sailors on the Starless Sea
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: RPG Geek of the Week #360 - funkdonut (Kathleen Mercury) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GotW [+] [View All]
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey thanks everyone for an enjoyable week.

Thanks to Oscar for selecting me and convincing me that I was worthy of the honour.

It's been a blast to answer questions from you all. Apologies that I didn't have more RPG meat behind me.

Our next GoTW comes from the States, Missouri to be precise. What drew me to her was her occupation, which is teaching game design to students! I mean what a job...how did she manufacture this...in what reality is this possible?! I find it fascinating.

But beyond all of that I have found her posts funny, honest and interesting. Betond that I don't know a whole lot about her but I would like to know more and as far as I can tell - that is exactly what these honours are intended to do. Give us the chance to get to know someone.

And so I give to you our next RPG GoTW:

Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb

funkdonut wrote:
Hello!

First of all, thank you so much to Neil for nominating me for this honor. The rpggeek community has been so welcoming and as a relative newbie I appreciate that very much.

Second, I think it’s important to state that I took the D&D Alignment test for myself, not for a character, and I’m Chaotic Neutral. This makes sense to me, as much as my Slytherin sorting on Pottemore did (still wrestling with the idea of a swift as my Patronus) or my ENTJ/P result on the MBTI fit me. When in doubt, create a ruckus, then see what happens.

I do this is my work as a gifted teacher of middle school students. My goal is to turn my students into creators, not just consumers. So, I find out whatever thing they like (and luckily, it’s often the same thing I like), and we do that thing, and then we make that thing. So, for example, with my 7th graders I’ve been doing tabletop game design for years now because they like games, and so we make them. (In fact, the BGG community has been amazingly supportive when I post each semester’s crop of designs in a geeklist, and you should totally go check out what they’ve done. Caroline Berg is the bomb, yo! I started designing games too, and now BOOM, my game Crash Course has been signed by IDW games! Yay!) As I’ve been working so long with tabletop games, I’ve been looking for ways to keep design fresh, to find new inspiration, so I’ve been getting more and more into RPGs. I've also really been enjoying my role as Lady Blackbird via Play by Forum, sparked by the newbie initiative, so thanks to all of my gaming group as we fumble my way out of this damn ship.

My journey was fairly linear for RPGs, actually. I first played Feist on RPGgeek, (thank you, all of you who spent so much time on that!) and subsequently got into Interactive Fiction. This led to an interest in RPGs, and my good friend Chris is really into indie RPGs. So we started to play, first with FATE Accelerated and then The Quiet Year. One weekend at my lake house, I played D&D for the first time (Neverwinter Nights, where I met my character Raskelda the blackguard Paladin) and even some Tomb of Horrors (I dropped out when my experience would have slowed down the game, although the game descended into pure chaos as players tore their character sheets and threw them about shouting that “This is just a door simulator!,” thank you Erica). Played a MARVELOUSLY CREEPY War of the Worlds Trail of Cthulhu game by my friend Matt that had sound clips from the recording, and real-world details woven in, a thing of beauty, truly. After all this, I got greedy. I wanted to do more with RPGs.

What I’m interested quickly becomes what I do, so I started thinking about RPGs and my students. Of course, when I talked with my students doing something with RPGs, and I found out THEY HAD ONGOING D&D CAMPAIGNS, and POOF! All of a sudden, I’m doing an RPG design unit with them. Again, turning consumers into creators.

This is where the Chaotic Neutral part comes in--I never let inexperience stop me from doing something. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve read hundreds of pages of RPGs, scoured the web for articles and sources, lurked in forums, posted when I’ve had a question (like most recently about taboo topics in RPGs). I haven’t designed an RPG, but I’m good at coaching kids through a design process, and I figured we could work the rest of the details out along the way. I started really working on the structure of the unit. Long story short, my RPG unit was born and I’ve done Interactive Fiction, The Quiet Year, Mermaid Adventures (it’s a great introduction to traditional RPGs, levels the playing field, accessible theme for all), and D&D with my students (led by the students who play). They’ve each done a presentation on a different RPG, and this week, we’re going to start the design process. Students will be able to create and/or modify systems and worlds as they desire. I’m excited, and I have NO IDEA how this will end. But hey. Chaotic Neutral. It’ll be fun to find out.

Poll
Which of these is the lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I’ve danced onstage with George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic.
42.9% 12
I have the astronomical symbol for Mercury tattooed on the back of my head.
25.0% 7
I once told a U.S. Senator to watch the Simpsons instead of the news to understand the American people.
32.1% 9
Voters 28
This poll is now closed.   28 answers
Poll created by Neil Thomson
Closes: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok some questions to get us started :-

d10-1 Favourite childhood memory?

d10-2 Do you eat snacks when you play? If so what are your favourites?

d10-3 Favourite book you have read?

d10-4 Favourite movie?

d10-5 Favourite animal and why?

d10-6 Where did your love for 'creation' begin and what drives your 'creation over consumerism' leanings?

d10-7 Just how does someone get into Game Design as a career anyway?

d10-8 How widespread is Game Design in relation to teaching in the states? Is it widespread or are you a maverick and your school 'left of center' (I mean this in a nice way)?

d10-9 It must be hugely fulfilling to do what you do. Tell us of one of the coolest experiences you have had working with kids in your field?

d10-1d10-0 If you never had to work again (I'm not sure you would want to) what would you do with your life?

d10-1d10-1 Having a game design picked up by a Publisher is incredibly exciting. Is this a path you are hoping to pursue in a major way?

I'll be back with more. But time for a few others to chime in.

Oh wait one more...

d10-1d10-2 How are you measured in relation to your job? What are the measures your students are assessed against? I find that fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
CongratulationsblankKathleen

thumbsupcoolthumbsup

d10-1 What is your most memorable RPG moment?
d10-2 Do you have a favorite RPG?
d10-3 Do you prefer to play, GM, or both?
d10-4 Do use use physical die or a die roller?
d10-5 How has gaming helped you as a teacher?
d10-6 If you had a superhero power, what would it be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Kathleen!
Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Lorton
United States
Alton
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, congratulations! I have a few questions!

1 What's your favorite RPG creation that one of your students has created, and have you played it?

2 Do you prefer to play RPGs or act as GM? Why?

3 In addition to RPGs, I know you play board games as well. What's your favorite tabletop board game?

4 What's the most surprising thing you've experienced at the table during an RPG?

5 If you were to sit down tomorrow to design an RPG, would you lean more towards a campaign-friendly system, or a one-shot system? Why?

6 What RPG would you most want to participate in during a "Fancy Gaming" event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Kathleen! Play as many games as possible this upcoming week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Kathleen! This is very well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'Day Kathleen,

I try to remember to ask each RPG Geek of the Week the following Role Playing related questions even though sometimes they may have already been answered in your intro or earlier questions.

d10-1 What was your first RPG?
d10-2 What was your second RPG?
d10-3 Player, GM or both?
d10-4 Do you have a favourite die? e.g. d4, d12 etc.
d10-5 Do you have a preferred group size?
d10-6 If you have been involved in a campaign, what's the longest running one you have played in or run?
d10-7 Minis for combat?
d10-8 What other types (e.g. board, miniature etc.) of games do you play?
d10-9 Have you found a use for d30s other than rolling the day of the month on four months of the year?
d10-1d10-0 Have you ever role played at a convention?
d10-1d10-1 Tell us about your most memorable character death or exit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Kathleen. Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Neil! I'm excited about this

Neil Thomson wrote:
Ok some questions to get us started :-

d10-1 Favourite childhood memory?

d10-2 Do you eat snacks when you play? If so what are your favourites?

d10-3 Favourite book you have read?

d10-4 Favourite movie?

d10-5 Favourite animal and why?

d10-6 Where did your love for 'creation' begin and what drives your 'creation over consumerism' leanings?

d10-7 Just how does someone get into Game Design as a career anyway?

d10-8 How widespread is Game Design in relation to teaching in the states? Is it widespread or are you a maverick and your school 'left of center' (I mean this in a nice way)?

d10-9 It must be hugely fulfilling to do what you do. Tell us of one of the coolest experiences you have had working with kids in your field?

d10-1d10-0 If you never had to work again (I'm not sure you would want to) what would you do with your life?

d10-1d10-1 Having a game design picked up by a Publisher is incredibly exciting. Is this a path you are hoping to pursue in a major way?

I'll be back with more. But time for a few others to chime in.

Oh wait one more...

d10-1d10-2 How are you measured in relation to your job? What are the measures your students are assessed against? I find that fascinating.

d10-1 My favorite childhood memory. Hmmm. Probably at my grandparents' house, playing hide and go seek in the dark. Their basement had no windows, and we would charge a glow in the dark frisbee. Whomever was it would creep around, listening for breathing, and you'd hurl it at your (hopeful) target. We broke a lot of things. The little cousins would cry and rat us out. It was awesome. Another time my sister and I set up an inflatable pool in the living room for enjoyable TV watching, two days in a row.

d10-2 I hate, hate, hate, baked cheese snack crackers like Cheezits. To me, cheese smells like a headache feels. Weird. Yes. Most gamers I know those love. I prefer dark chocolate. I can eat it by the handful. Daintily.

d10-3 Favorite book. The book I needed to read when I didn't know I needed to read it was The Fountainhead. I don't go for Ayn Rand's philosophy much, but I was a floundering 23 year old who needed a dose of confidence and wisdom. Doubt I'll read it again, though.

d10-4 Favorite movie: Rushmore. I identified with Max in a lot of ways.

d10-5 Favorite animal: I always say my spirit animal is a rhino--big, stupid, and runs until it hits something. I'm not stupid, of course, but I do have a tendency to plow my way through things.

d10-6 My students are really good at reading others' books, playing others' games, listening to others' music. I always say that happiness comes from being able to choose the life you want, and the creators tend to be happier and more content than those who just consume others' work. I want them to create, to take on open-ended challenges that don't have a right answer. (So much of what they encounter in school tends to be right answer/wrong answer, and I want them to have more complex problems to solve.) Game design allows them to define their own problem (what they want their game to be) and to go through an iterative process to get a rough prototype closer and closer to that ideal. They own the work, they own the process, and hopefully they develop the skills and confidence to keep creating on their own.

d10-7 I teach gifted (high IQ) students in a public school, and I definitely have less restrictions on what I teach than teachers of more traditional subjects. My school district is very supportive, and I can teach what I want, when I want, how I want. This is rare nowadays. I can extend units if time allows, I can adapt what I do to meet my students' needs. I started teaching game design about 8, 9ish years ago, and it's evolved into its current form. I also teach espionage skills and tradecraft, RPG design, stand up comedy, and have taught robotics, debate, philosophy, cosplay...I have a fun job. I work hard, but it's worth it, obviously.

d10-8 Oh, I'm definitely a maverick. When I started, I found very little out there in terms of resources to teach kids, which is why I created my own website www.kathleenmercury.com to share my resources with other teachers who want to do game design with their own students. It's all free so teachers don't have to start with a blank page like I did. I hear from teachers all over the world who find my page and have been using it. That's pretty unusual because most teachers collaborate at most with their fellow teachers in the building. To be able to work with teachers all over is so freaking cool.

d10-9 Coolest experiences: Having a game company ask my class to design an expansion to one of their games. They passed, but the whole process was really cool, being so real world, and one of my darlings who was always quite argumentative with me argued beautifully with the publisher on our conference call on why he should adopt one of the ideas they created. I had another student's game get picked up by a publisher, which was so cool as well, but the company was sold and the new ownership passed on it. One day, that student in particular is really talented and I would bet you'll see one of his games one day.

d10-1d10-0 I had a dream that a friend of mine who's ridiculously wealthy offered me a job to be her personal assistant, meaning that I would get to hang out all day with her for a monstrous salary. I was so sad in that dream because it meant I wouldn't be able to work with my students. So I guess I don't want to do anything other than what I'm doing, except if we could move the whole school and families to Wellington, New Zealand and I got to live there, I'd be okay with that.

d10-1d10-1 Getting my game picked up was, is, huge for me! I keep playing around with ideas, but I don't get as much done with them as I'd like because sometimes I have to step away from game design and do other things because all I would ever do is game design, game design, game design. I have ongoing projects, as I think momentum is good professionally.

d10-1d10-2 My evaluator principal definitely has a growth mindset, so I'm evaluated on how I get students to grow. Game design prototypes and student feedback forms are excellent artifacts that show student growth. As far as my students go, I'm looking for growth as well. A bad game that has gone through multiple iterations is worth more to me than a game that started off okay but never really changed much. So, for my students, it's all about them articulating what they're learning and how they apply feedback to their work and future changes.

Most games still need work at the end of class; I liken their prototypes to a rough draft of a novel that still need revision and editing. We design, don't get too much into the nitty gritty of development. It's hard for them to take these risks, even though they don't have to worry about their grades, because they are venturing into unfamiliar land rife with uncertainty. I tell them that this is how it is whenever you create something, whether you are a student or an adult. They experience real failure when their ideas don't work, and they work hard to overcome that to identify workable ideas, and to keep going. I'm so ridiculously proud of them and all the hard work they do, and I'm thankful they allow me to take them on this journey.

Thanks for the questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
CongratulationsblankKathleen

thumbsupcoolthumbsup

d10-1 What is your most memorable RPG moment?
d10-2 Do you have a favorite RPG?
d10-3 Do you prefer to play, GM, or both?
d10-4 Do use use physical die or a die roller?
d10-5 How has gaming helped you as a teacher?
d10-6 If you had a superhero power, what would it be?

d10-1 My most memorable moment is when my Paladin threw on a cloak and allowed herself to be taken with captives deep into a volcano. The GM (Hi Tom!) hadn't prepared for that, but he liked the direction I took, and I was able to take on some fire giants by my little level 3 self and I took out one of them on my own. We saved 7 out of the 12 captives, and Tom had planned this adventure as a way to knock off everyone's characters. I, I mean, Blackguard Paladin Raskelda, likes to do the unexpected.

d10-2 Favorite RPG...Not yet. I love creative one shots because you can do a lot of interesting things mechanically that can create really cool stories and decisions for players, but I also really respect mammoth RPGs that one could play for years.

d10-3 Watching students GM games for each other has been some of the greatest moments I've had as a teacher. I've GM'd for them, but I've been fortunate to play with some really great GMs, so I like being able to play, and not be the one in charge for once.

d10-4 Physical dice. I like the clinking sound of dice tower but hate the sound of dice on tables, or worse, players tapping their dice on the table. I'm weird about little noises. Clicking pens slay me.

d10-5 Gaming has helped me as a teacher to make learning fun. Game design is really an engineering process and we could design machines of some sort. Games are fun, and that helps students to stay motivated. My first meaningful experience in teaching was when I was 16 and had to teach swim lessons. I never took lessons because my dad was a high school swimming coach, I just grew up more or less knowing how from him. I had to learn how to take a complex task, break it down in to steps, and then teach those steps. By the end, each of those steps was a different game, and kids came out of my class having fun AND knowing how to swim. I've always been very game-oriented; with robotics, we had robot v. robot challenge, espionage has a simulation that pits students against each other, etc. I like to have fun.

d10-6 If I had a super power, it would be to speak all languages. I love to travel and that would be so cool to really learn about and experience how others live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Kathleen!
Have a great week!

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJZachLorton wrote:
Hey, congratulations! I have a few questions!

1 What's your favorite RPG creation that one of your students has created, and have you played it?

2 Do you prefer to play RPGs or act as GM? Why?

3 In addition to RPGs, I know you play board games as well. What's your favorite tabletop board game?

4 What's the most surprising thing you've experienced at the table during an RPG?

5 If you were to sit down tomorrow to design an RPG, would you lean more towards a campaign-friendly system, or a one-shot system? Why?

6 What RPG would you most want to participate in during a "Fancy Gaming" event?

1 They're going to start working on them soon, but there's some cool ideas afoot from one where players play as animals and another that's a one-person RPG.

2 I'd rather play than GM, because I'm still learning so much about RPGs, and it's nice not to be in charge for once.

3 My favorite tabletop board game is Iron Dragon, one of the Mayfair Games Empire Builder series. It just scratches that itch in my brain when I want to make a plan and carry it out. I'm really good. I know the deck. I watch the deck. I can beat almost anyone. Too bad so few want to play it with me.

4 The most surprising thing is that some RPGs are really about the story, not the game in terms of winning. Some of my students really hated The Quiet Year because they didn't think it had enough conflict, there wasn't anything to "win." I was surprised by that, and I've enjoyed seeing my students play classroom versions of 10 Candles and Dread.

5 Probably a one shot, as my background is still so heavily in tabletop game design that mechanics really fascinate me. Coming up with a cool mechanic that can impact the story just right sounds like fun.

6 Fancy gaming, for those that don't know, is one of my favorite ideas I've had. Getting dressed up is fun, gaming is fun, so why not do both at a con? Zach is a fellow Fancy Gamer with me at Geekway to the West (mid May, tickets still available at www.geekwaytothewest.com). Nice shout out! I think playing your mega Fiasco sounds like fun, especially since I can't play it with my students at school most likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Congrats Kathleen! Play as many games as possible this upcoming week!
:)

Thanks! I'll keep everyone posted on what we do this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
Congratulations, Kathleen! This is very well deserved.

Thanks Dave! (Dave is a really talented game designer who won Geekway's game design contest I organized a few years back.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Ms. Mercury. Do you find that your status as a liquid metal helps or hinders you when attempting to prevent unionization of the Iron Dragon labor force? I don't even care. Answer something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
G'Day Kathleen,

I try to remember to ask each RPG Geek of the Week the following Role Playing related questions even though sometimes they may have already been answered in your intro or earlier questions.

d10-1 What was your first RPG?
d10-2 What was your second RPG?
d10-3 Player, GM or both?
d10-4 Do you have a favourite die? e.g. d4, d12 etc.
d10-5 Do you have a preferred group size?
d10-6 If you have been involved in a campaign, what's the longest running one you have played in or run?
d10-7 Minis for combat?
d10-8 What other types (e.g. board, miniature etc.) of games do you play?
d10-9 Have you found a use for d30s other than rolling the day of the month on four months of the year?
d10-1d10-0 Have you ever role played at a convention?
d10-1d10-1 Tell us about your most memorable character death or exit

d10-1 My first RPG was a FATE Accelerated game. I enjoyed creating Honey Potter, my Carmen Sandiego/Angelina Jolie super spy.

d10-2 The Quiet Year. I loved how different it was from everything I expected in RPGs. My students (most of them) find it really interesting too, although getting 13 and 14 year olds to obey the rules for communication is near impossible. They like to talk. A lot.

d10-3 Player. I imagine GMing will be happening sooner than later, as I'm going to be starting a women-only RPG group in St. Louis soon. Don't get fussy, I'm not trying to be exclusionary. Growing up, I had three sisters and went to an all girls' high school. Access to gaming was non-existent. In fact, we had a lot of board games at home, but not Risk or Stratego because those were, you know, boy games. Things are definitely better now, obviously, but access and equity are important to me, and I know I can get more women to participate this way. I just want gals at the table, any way I can, and this is one way to open that door for them.

d10-4 Favorite die--a metal d20 I have because it does actual damage (to tables).

d10-5 Preferred group size, not really. Although RPGs that can accommodate a large number of players is desirable for class purposes, as long as player downtime isn't excessive.

d10-6 I drop in on my friend Tom's D&D Neverwinter Nights games when possible. Fairly limited, only four or five times. I'd like to get involved in a long campaign, provided there's more than just combat.

d10-7 Minis are great. Anything that helps to create a great experience for players. I haven't gotten into buying/painting them. Yet. My dice collection is impressive, however, and I made my own dice bag using a PowerPuff Girls t-shirt and gold lamé fabric for the interior. A Community (tv show) 8-bit character lanyard ties it shut nicely. I'm rather pleased with it.

d10-8 I play a lot of board games with my students. Recent games are Deep Sea Adventures, Panic Station, and my love artmark (Mark Sellmeyer) plays Empire Builder series games with me a lot.

d10-9 Much to my students' chagrin and quite possible dismay, I do not have a d30. Or a d100. Or a d120 although that looks pretty cool.

d10-1d10-0 I played Dungeon World this past November at BGGcon. My non-D&D students like it because it has the characters without being as complicated, my D&D students look down on it because it has the characters without being complicated.

d10-1d10-1 My most memorable character death or exit. Hasn't happened; I started with Raskelda as level 3 and the girl's tough, no joke. However, I get fussy sometimes when bad things happen in games, so I will have to reign in my rage. Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OriginalDM wrote:
Congrats, Kathleen. Enjoy your week.

Thank you! This is really cool for me, so thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Congratulations, Ms. Mercury. Do you find that your status as a liquid metal helps or hinders you when attempting to prevent unionization of the Iron Dragon labor force? I don't even care. Answer something else.

As everyone who plays Iron Dragon knows, peasants aren't just revolting, they are disgusting. (Joke y'all, I'm a union teacher! Yay!)

To answer your not question, some do find it interesting that I changed my last name to Mercury. I found out as I was going through my divorce that whatever name you tell the judge you want to have post-divorce, you get. I considered "Fantastic" so my students would have to call me "Ms. Fantastic" and then "von Dragon," but ultimately I wanted something more meaningful yet unusual for a last name yet easy to spell.

There are a lot of cool associations with Mercury, but the transformative aspect of alchemy (with Mercury representing the female, intellectual side) appealed to me, as well as the symbol Hg (the first letters of my maiden and married names), were the main factors in my decision. I love it. Some get dolphins tattooed on their ankles (nothing wrong with that), I rebranded the machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Kathleen, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Kathleen enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Kathleen!

Here are my usual questions:

A Sunrise or sunset?
B Ocean or lake?
C What's the farthest place you've ever travelled to?
D If money (or nothing else for that matter) would be no object, where would you travel to?
E If you could go back in time and meet any one person you'd like to, who'd you meet and why?
F Your favourite pizza toppings?
G Any pets?
H What's the weirdest food you actually happen to love?
I What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?
J What was the last film you saw? Would you recommend it?
K When buying RPGs, do you prefer dead tree or PDF?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Kathleen!
Here are my twour customary questions:
1 What game is your most pleasant surprise? Why?
1 What game is your biggest disappointment? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Gratz Kathleen!

d10-1 Do you use music while roleplaying ?
d10-2A If yes, just as play-along in the background or selected especially for the scene ?
d10-2B If no, why not ?
d10-3 When it comes to game prep, what do you prefer: Some keywords for every scene/npc/whatever or a whole paragraph of information ?
d10-4 Open or concealed dice rolls ?
d10-5 Urban or rural ?
d10-6 Cat or dog ?
d10-7 How many dice do you own ?
d10-8 What sport do you take exercises in ?
d10-9 Did you try Play by Video (PbV, Hangouts...) ?
d10-0 What's your favorite LEGO theme ?

And in memoriam to Steven Heinrich some more questions:
d10-1d10-1 Do you dance ?
d10-1d10-2 Do you dance like nobodies watching ?
d10-1d10-3 What type of music do you listen to ?
d10-1d10-4 What's your favorite group ?
d10-1d10-5 What's your favorite song ?

Have an awesome week !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benevolentgamemaster wrote:
Congrats, Kathleen, enjoy your week!

Thank you! Hoping to make it to Belgium on my next trip to Europe. (My sister lives in Berlin, you know, the neighborhood.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.