Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rockalypse
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Magic Cards
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Escape the Underdark
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Odd Soot
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Universe (2nd Edition)
The Drenslaar Quest
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 11 - Mar 1983)
Black Fire Pass
Tome of Adventure Design
Pathfinder Pawns: Bestiary Box
Numenera
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tech Support
Doors to Darkness
Genesys Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Chopsticks and Dropkicks / 37th Chamber of Shaolin
Yaztromo 35mm Figure
Star Frontiers
Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition
Unearthed Arcana
A Penny for My Thoughts
GURPS High-Tech (Fourth Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,425 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
311 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » Game Masters

Subject: Behind the Screen - GM signup thread. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Original News Announcement

If you would like to volunteer to write an article for our "Behind the Screen" series of articles by GMs for GMs, please post below. Include in your post the topic you would like to write about. We will go by first come, first serve. If you need additional time, but would like to reserve a topic for the near future, please indicate that in your post as well.

You can find all previous articles in The Geeklist Archive.

Every GM who writes an article will receive this special microbadge, designed by purplewurple.

mb

Want to write an article, but need some inspiration? Visit the suggestion thread for topics others would like to see discussed!

Behind the Screen - Topic Suggestion Thread

There is no limit to how many times you may sign up to write an article, so feel free to stop back again! (There's only one mircobadge though!)

Thanks in advance for helping us build a better community here on RPGG!

Please see the bottom of this post for two items to be included when submitting an article!

Schedule:

#01 - March 16th 2017 - Cosine - Behind The Screen #1: Treasure is an Illusion
#02 - April 1st 2017 - PurpleWurple - Behind The Screen #2: Failure doesn't mean failure
#03 - April 17th 2017 - Vestige - Behind the Screen #3: Toward a Taxonomy of GMs
#04 - May 2nd 2017 - sDonohue - Behind the Screen #4: Involving Less Active Players
#05 - May 16th 2017 - LordDillon - Behind the Screen #5 – How to Work Politics and Intrigue into Your RPG
#06 - June 1st 2017 - Samathi - Behind the Screen #6 - The Long Reveal Mystery
#07 - June 15th 2017 - xTHAWx - Behind the Screen #7: Incorporating music into your game
#08 - July 1st 2017 - skalchemist - Behind the Screen #8: Maximizing Fun in a Convention Game
#09 - July 15th 2017 - Bifford - Behind the Screen #09: Evolving a story-line based on the players interactions & expectations
#10 - August 1st 2017 - Mulligans - Behind the Screen #10: How much Prep?
#11 - August 15th 2017 - pdzoch - Behind the Screen #11: Choices that Matter
#12 - September 1st 2017 - Olive the Owlbear - Behind the Screen #12: Making Memorable Sessions
#13 - September 15th 2017 - downeymb on how to make good villain plans/strategies.
#14 - October 1st 2017 - DanDare2050 on "Running a public open table".
#15 - October 15th 2017 - jodokast on "The difference between PbF and F2F and what a DM should do/adjust."
#16 - November 15th 2017 - Rob Doupe on "From Sandbox to Adventure- How to turn that setting book you bought into an adventure or campaign."
#17 - December 1st 2017 - - TomTi89 on "Rolling Behind the Screen"
#18 - December 15th 2017 - Robb Minneman on ""How to write a fun, engaging multi-player LARP."
#19 - January 1st 2018 - Darren Breidigan on "Inspiration and sources for NPCs."
#20 - January 15th 2018 - cosine on "Differences in style between Scifi and Fantasy"
#21 - February 1st 2018 - jodakast
#22 - February 15th 2018 - Karkared on "Making chases, navigating and running away funnier."
#23 - March 1st 2018 - aramis on "Pen as sword: non-violent conflicts."
#24 - March 15th 2018 - vestige on "In praise of random tables...and even encounters!"
#25 - April 1st 2018 - pdzoch on "Animal Behaviors -- Roleplaying Bestial Encounters"
#26 - April 15th 2018 - DanDare2050 on "Low Prep Joy - the care and feeding of procedural generators."
#27 - May 1st 2018 - mawilson4 on "Make It Your Own - Stealing & Adapting non-RPG Elements Into Your Game."
#28 - May 15th 2018 - robbbbbb on "A Primer on Dice: How Variance Affects Calling for Dice Rolls"
#29 - June 1st - Michael Daumen on "GM Improvisation"
#30 - June 15th - DanDare2050 on "You're Drunk! Mind altered behaviour for player characters and others."
#31 - July 1st - cosine!
#32 - July 15th - Red wine Pie on "Keeping Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer: Running a Campaign with NPC that Matter."
#33 - August 1st - Karkared on "In praise of minimaxing - playing with unbalanced characters."
#34 - August 15th - aramis on "Playing In Public: What's different?"
#35 - September 1st - cosine
#36 - September 15th - aramis
#37 - October 1st - bigfluffylemon
#38 October 15th - karkared on "A different kind of Evil - breaking the dichotomy between Good and Evil in fantasy religions."

Please place Behind The Screen #?: as the beginning of the subject line of your article post, changing the ? to reflect the article # you are submitting.

Also, please copy and paste the blurb below into your article, either at the top or bottom of your submission.

Quote:
Behind the Screen mb

These are a series of articles written by RPG Geek Games Masters (GMs) designed to provoke conversation, idea-sharing and to give other people helpful insights into what the author thinks makes for a better GM and a better experience for all involved with the game. Feel free to offer up your own opinions on the subject, but keep to the rules of RPGG when doing so. Basically, that means be courteous and don't shoot someone down in flames for their opinion!

Visit the sign-up thread here: Behind the Screen - GM signup thread.
Visit the topic ideas thread here: Behind the Screen - Topic Suggestion Thread
Visit the Article Archive here: Behind the Screen - GM Article Archive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! I'll take May if that's okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:

Sure thing! Any ideas for a topic yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll follow Steve and take June - note sure on a topic. I'll wait and see what people want to see.

Oh - or maybe I should take April? The Steven Nation Army couldn't hold me back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
I'll follow Steve and take June - note sure on a topic. I'll wait and see what people want to see.

Oh - or maybe I should take April? The Steven Nation Army couldn't hold me back.

So, April then? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
lorddillon wrote:

So, April then? devil

Sure - I'll have to get some topic suggestions though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'll take June and my topic will be getting less forceful players into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the nation continues.

I'm doing something. Right now leaning towards something on running a game for a large group of players. It will be more limited than that, since the topic is too broad to do justice in one article. I don't really care when I'm on the schedule, as long as it is after May.

I may do a series on that, with the secondary articles serving as replacements/extensions if the schedule lags or people need to bump. We'll see how it goes.

Edit: On second thought, my first topic will be, "The Long Reveal Mystery". That's manageable in one article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could do something about using music in roleplaying games. I've written briefly on this before in the context of horror gaming, but I'd like to broaden it out into something more inclusive of other genres.

Unfortunately, I can't do April as I'm away, but any slot that is free afterwards I'd happily fill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to do an article, if its of interest, on structuring a four-hour action one-shot game, for a convention or similar.

I could probably get it done by April 15, or schedule it for later in the year, either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, looking at Lizzie's reply in the other thread, I could do something in future, on structuring adventure seeds/plot hooks based on player provided inputs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to write a short article about making failed die rolls part of the narrative.

I could do April, but later is fine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
vestige wrote:

Sure thing! Any ideas for a topic yet?

Some ideas, yes! But I'll watch the suggestion thread to see if anything better comes along. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sounds pretty ... dodgy if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
I would like to do an article, if its of interest, on structuring a four-hour action one-shot game, for a convention or similar.

I could probably get it done by April 15, or schedule it for later in the year, either way.

Most of the PbFs I play are one-shots and I'm always on the lookout for more articles about them so I would certainly be interested!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
Mulligans wrote:
lorddillon wrote:

So, April then? devil

Sure - I'll have to get some topic suggestions though

I'll put you in a later slot so you're not under any undo pressure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:
I'd like to write a short article about making failed die rolls part of the narrative.

I could do April, but later is fine too.

You seem the most comfortable with April, so it's all yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Gimme July/August or somesuch and I'll write about "Evolving a story-line based on the players interactions & expectations."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Also, looking at Lizzie's reply in the other thread, I could do something in future, on structuring adventure seeds/plot hooks based on player provided inputs.

Let me know when you'd like to schedule the second one. I'm updating the schedule now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll take December. We're full til the end of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmbmbmb

The first 10 "issues" are slotted! I went by everyone's requests in order as best I could, save for the May hotseat.

I added a note about the due date. We'll shoot for the 15th of each month.

Let me know if you have any issues with the current schedule. Thanks to all who have stepped up so far! The microbadge will be sent when articles are posted. Eric, I'll get yours to you as soon as it enters the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volunteers stepped in fast! Thanks to all those who stepped up so quick. I'll start the following year -- January. I got a topic or two in mind, but I'll wait to see how the conversations go and what the requested topics before settling on a topic in January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared S. Heth
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Absolutely Barbaric!
mb
I will take February! Gives me plenty of time to think of a subject!

Also plenty of time to get this pesky New User badge off from the top of my head! (Since I am not really new at all) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the queue, and write something about details and descriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up, boss!

I'll write about how to make good villain plans/strategies. Because: strategery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.