Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
667 Posts
[1]  Prev «  23 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27  Next »  [27] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: Far West Release Date Pool - Entries Closed - Part Two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
Layout has begun.

Again.

His update on May 1 includes a note on layout, too:

GMS wrote:
When are we going to see this?
I am planning on giving you a completed manuscript (and we’re talking the whole thing, not just the rules) in July – although possibly earlier. (I’m actually shooting for close to my birthday in mid-June, if I can manage it).

What happens next?
That’s when I turn the manuscript over to Eric for layout. Yes, you read that right – I’m not insisting on doing everything myself. The layout will be largely the same as the existing one (I like the look of it), but I’m handing it off to an actual graphic design professional, who actually knows his stuff, so it will happen a HELLUVA lot faster. Eric designs all of Adamant’s other stuff, and he’s also the graphic designer for comics like LAZARUS, BLACK MAGICK, ATOMIC ROBO graphic novels, etc. (You can read more about his work here: https://www.erictrautmann.us ) Once layout is done, we go to press (and yes, I still have partners helping with that), and you get the full PDF, and then the book.

Then, in August:
GMS wrote:
Anyway -- here are the first sections that have already gone into layout. I'll be sending more out to you (and to Eric) over this weekend, and the rest of them will follow in the coming week. Everything will be on Eric's desk by a week from today, because starting September 1st, I start working weekends, running my friend Ruth Thompson's art shop at the KC Renaissance Festival, and, honestly, I have no desire to be working 7-day weeks!

"Eric" in this case is Eric S. Trautmann, who is doing layout. Unless that business relationship has fallen apart, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should do some layout, Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:

I actually used to make a living creating flyers and postcards.

For real estate agents.

Using Microsoft Publisher.

So, while I could do layout, it probably wouldn't be the best layout for a game book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
Bazin wrote:

For real estate agents.

So, while I could do layout, it probably wouldn't be the best layout for a game book.

You know, at this point I wouldn't care? If it got to layout, that would have to mean it was done... right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy Scarlett
United States
San Jose
santa clara
flag msg tools
badge
Not Necessarily Inaccurate Videos at- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A6D4E8F2B74B110
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
Gamethyme wrote:
Bazin wrote:

For real estate agents.

You know, at this point I wouldn't care? If it got to layout, that would have to mean it was done... right?
Just 2 1/2 more years and I win!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
tclynch wrote:
chuckdee68 wrote:
Gamethyme wrote:
Bazin wrote:

For real estate agents.

Just 2 1/2 more years and I win!!!!

So close..... you should pre spend that $25. Its practically yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bode
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I'm betting he delivers in the next seven months. Why would I make such a ridiculous statement you ask? Because he swore to his Twitter followers last year that both he and his wife would be attending Gen Con this year. I mean, he wouldn't attend Gen Con without delivering Far West first, right? Would he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
sabode wrote:
I'm betting he delivers in the next seven months. Why would I make such a ridiculous statement you ask? Because he swore to his Twitter followers last year that both he and his wife would be attending Gen Con this year. I mean, he wouldn't attend Gen Con without delivering Far West first, right? Would he?

If you're serious I'll take the bet. I'm convinced he won't release finalized pdf this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jodokast wrote:
sabode wrote:

If you're serious I'll take the bet. I'm convinced he won't release finalized pdf this year.

So, how do we go about setting betting odds for something like this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds kind of like a new release date pool! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bode
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
jodokast wrote:

Oh, I'm NOT serious about that bet. No way would I put money on Mr. Skarka to complete anything.

My point was that Skarka would be crazy to show up at Gen Con with Far West not delivered. You are responsible for the biggest RPG Kickstarter failure (that I'm aware of) and you still attend the world's largest RPG convention?

More I think about it though, why would it matter? Yeah, some people might say something nasty to him if they saw him but that's about it. If I was him I wouldn't attend as a matter of personal pride, but I'm not him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sabode wrote:
Oh, I'm NOT serious about that bet. No way would I put money on Mr. Skarka to complete anything.

Would you put money on Mr. Skarka not to complete anything? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
GMS' blog wrote:
I also did my first contracted work for Hollywood this year, which I wish I could discuss further, but is NDA’d up the wazoo. Suffice to say that I’m thrilled by this development. It’s nice to be doing the same kind of storytelling, world-building work that I’ve been doing for decades, but actually getting “grown-up money” for it. I have no plans to leave tabletop games, but spreading out into other fields makes things much more financially stable, and I’ll definitely be continuing to do that.

http://gmskarka.com/2019/01/02/a-new-year/

But we all know how he is with plans…

Edit: On the other hand, he's been telling folks a story for seven years now…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Hobie
msg tools
mb
Yeah, the last time he got 'grown-up money' was... when FAR WEST funded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I don't understand... This guy not only doesn't deliver on a project he was paid nearly $50k for, he lies to, insults and belittles the people who backed said project, took pre-orders for another project he never delivered on and yet he still manages to not only find work in the industry but manages to work on some of the biggest licenses with the biggest companies.

(that was a really long sentence)

On top of that he has branched out into comics and (supposedly) TV or movies. I get that customers/backers shouldn't expect him to be actively punished by others in the industry, but it feels like there is no accountability or consequence for being a gigantic piece of shit in RPG Land.

C'est la vie, je suppose. =/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fiala
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blammo wrote:
On top of that he has branched out into comics and (supposedly) TV or movies. I get that customers/backers shouldn't expect him to be actively punished by others in the industry, but it feels like there is no accountability or consequence for being a gigantic piece of shit in RPG Land.

Ah, but you see, he isn't a piece of shit to anyone who matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blammo wrote:
I don't understand...

I hear you. If he applied for a job at Bru Co. (not a real company), I'd at least google his name and would pass.

So I have to admit that he has real skill in establishing and maintaining relationships that matter to him. I'm not sure how, but there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he uses his pen name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Hobie
msg tools
mb
Water seeks its own level. I've always gone with the assumption that many of the people he shares relationships with must be scoundrels themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blammo wrote:
TV or movies

I'd bet (not much money) that it has something to do with John Rogers (Leverage, The Librarians). Back when I paid attention to his Twitter feed, they were simpatico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blammo wrote:
I don't understand... This guy not only doesn't deliver on a project he was paid nearly $50k for, he lies to, insults and belittles the people who backed said project, took pre-orders for another project he never delivered on and yet he still manages to not only find work in the industry but manages to work on some of the biggest licenses with the biggest companies.

In person, he comes across as a very nice person. And then he works hard at not being a jackass to people who could offer him work.

Blammo wrote:

Until you get ridiculously visible as a jackass, it's really unlikely for anyone "big" to notice you. And - while we're very tied in to the RPG end of things, the RPG pool is a very small one.

Not only that, but sometimes the people at the top just look for people who can do the job. As long as you don't pay him until after he delivers, Skarka does good work.

Want him to struggle to find work in other industries? Find out where he's working and contact the people he's working for. Tell them you won't buy their stuff as long as he's working there.

That's probably a large part of why he's being quiet about where he's working in Hollywood. NDAs, yes, but ALSO fear that whoever he's working with will get a letter or an e-mail threatening a boycott. Because even small boycotts are poison if they get noticed by the press.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Blammo wrote:
TV or movies

I'd bet (not much money) that it has something to do with John Rogers (Leverage, The Librarians). Back when I paid attention to his Twitter feed, they were simpatico.

They do follow one another on Twitter.

https://www.unfollowspy.com/isfriends.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Blammo wrote:
I don't understand...

I hear you. If he applied for a job at Bru Co. (not a real company), I'd at least google his name and would pass.

So I have to admit that he has real skill in establishing and maintaining relationships that matter to him. I'm not sure how, but there you go.

As the saying goes, it is not what you know, but who you know.

As for the comic, you may not have noticed by his business partner Eric works on the Lazarus comic. So, I would expect, that this connection is what got him the job. Additionally, the comics are detailing out the world, so it is much more like a setting supplement for an RPG. I think that helped.

While I do not have any information to back this up, I suspect the Hollywood work is connected to the comic, or at least his work on the comic led to a connection that led to the Hollywood work. Amazon studios has been developing Lazarus into a TV show. It is possible that the creators of Lazarus needed something done for it and pulled in GMS, or some Hollywood person needed something done, were talking to the creators of Lazarus, and they gave that person GMS name.

I would not expect whatever work he has done, to be anything big. However, I am sure it will lead to more connections that will lead to more work.

In a few years, there may not be a Far West RPG, but there could be a netflix series or movie brought to you by the executive producer of the guy who cannot fulfill his kickstarter obligations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Hobie
msg tools
mb
TRANSMEDIA AT LAST!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
SteamCraft wrote:

As for the comic, you may not have noticed by his business partner Eric works on the Lazarus comic. So, I would expect, that this connection is what got him the job. Additionally, the comics are detailing out the world, so it is much more like a setting supplement for an RPG. I think that helped.

While I do not have any information to back this up, I suspect the Hollywood work is connected to the comic, or at least his work on the comic led to a connection that led to the Hollywood work. Amazon studios has been developing Lazarus into a TV show. It is possible that the creators of Lazarus needed something done for it and pulled in GMS, or some Hollywood person needed something done, were talking to the creators of Lazarus, and they gave that person GMS name.

I was aware of the Lazarus connection with Eric (and potentially Greg Rucka), and it's why I held off picking up Green Ronin's World of Lazarus. I kind of figured his claim was tied to the Amazon series but didn't want to assume. One of the things I don't understand is that Eric, who supposedly helps with Adamant stuff and knows all about the Far West debacle, would back a guy like Skarka with his track record. I'm sure he's polite as can be with Eric, probably did prompt work with Lazarus (as he did with L5R, Star Wars and Star Trek) and Eric's just trying to help a friend but damn... If one of my friends/co-workers acted like Skarka toward our customers I would cut ties. I don't see that kind of association as healthy but I'm obviously wrong there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  23 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.