World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
711 Posts
[1]  Prev «  25 , 26 , 27 , 28 , 29  Next »  [29] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: Far West Release Date Pool - Entries Closed - Part Two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
brumcg wrote:
I wonder who sent Dom [of Cubicle 7] that backers-only, bridge-burning update? We may never know. whistle

I think I missed this, as I'm not a backer. What was this update?

GMS blamed C7 on repeated occasions for Far West not being completed.

IIRC, C7 threw GMS a bone with Far West to get the game released. This was in 2013 after already being significantly late. He promised them it would be done by a certain date in 2013. It was not done. In October 2013, he set a release date for mid-November with C7. That was for the PDF and then C7 would take the files to the printer. Then he talked C7 into a delay of a couple of weeks so that backers with the digital copies might catch layout mistakes. In January 2014 he only sent out a few chapters to backers. Sometime in late 2014/2015 C7 canceled the contact due to non-delivery.

One of his updates basically said that he paid his medical bills in 2014 because of the contract. Then, it was canceled without cause by C7 (even though there was no delivery and repeated dates broken.) This left him with no money to complete the project or sue C7 for breach of contract. He would have to find alternative methods of finishing it and it would be him alone finishing the project.

There were other updates where he blames C7 for failing to help him finish. I want to say this had to do with art, layout, writing, etc. That was so 3-5 years ago, so it is hard to remember all of the details of his more elaborate excuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
brumcg wrote:
I wonder who sent Dom [of Cubicle 7] that backers-only, bridge-burning update? We may never know. whistle

I think I missed this, as I'm not a backer. What was this update?

I seem to recall that it was more a comment and/or a tweet than an update, because he never really announced the C7 wasn't involved. His comment was made on September 2, 2014 (and I don't have time to dig back into the comments section of the project right now).

But this was what he said in an update on September 15, 2015 (more than a year after C7 dropped him):

Skarka wrote:
Hi, folks. As some of you are aware, I’ve issued a partial refund (from their original level, down to the digital-only level, to reflect that they’ve been receiving digital copies of the rewards) to a backer who filed a complaint with the Washington State Attorney General’s office. I wanted to talk about that in more detail.

The sole reason I went ahead and did this, rather than defend myself under the original Kickstarter terms we had funded FAR WEST under (which clearly stated that demonstrating good-faith progress towards completion was an indication that I was fulfilling my obligations) is simply because I did the math and realized that I could not afford to secure legal representation in Washington. It was cheaper to simply issue the refund.

Since the backer in question went public with this news, though, I’ve had a handful of additional requests — and that’s what brings me to this update. I’m going to go ahead and talk about the stuff which I’ve previously refused to detail, preferring that it remain confidential. But maintain that confidentiality prevents you from understanding my situation, so I’m discarding it. Even so, I would please ask that the information in this backer-only update be kept between us.

This backer, BTW, was me.

Skarka wrote:
In 2013, I signed a contract with the UK game company I was working with, where they agreed to fund production beyond what I’d already paid for, and to distribute the game not only to you backers, but as a game line under their imprint.

In 2014, as you all know, I fell very ill, and spent about half of the year in and out of the hospital. Confident in that contract, I paid my medical bills. However, during my recovery, the company cancelled our contract -- leaving me with almost no funds to continue, or to hire an attorney in the UK to take up the breach of contract issue. I was, as you can imagine, devastated by this news.

He then goes on for a bit about how he can't afford any more refunds right now and how he now has private investors lined up to help finish (but these private investors will be taking all of the present and future profits from the core book), so people who want refunds will have to wait until he's done because he's going to be refunding out of his own pocket.

I kinda feel bad for these investors (who he has steadfastly refused to name), because if the game ever comes out, they're not going to make much money off of it. Skarka has poisoned that well but good.

Assuming these private investors haven't given up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, haven't posted to the thread in about... let's see.... wow, TWO YEARS! So of course I assume Far West is finally out. Who won the bet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Hey guys, haven't posted to the thread in about... let's see.... wow, TWO YEARS! So of course I assume Far West is finally out. Who won the bet?

GMS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Confirmation of his path into comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:

Barf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:

Is that why he hasn't updated Far West even though he said he would? We can start a new pool on when his next update will be and what the excuse will be for not having the final draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
Is that why he hasn't updated Far West even though he said he would? We can start a new pool on when his next update will be and what the excuse will be for not having the final draft.

It's been three months since he posted. There are some new names popping up in the comments section, as backers are still getting restless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect GMS is working on either a comic or a non-Far West RPG.

Far West KS is quiet from him. No surprise in that. However, I checked his twitter page. Certainly the Mueller report would have him in an outrage. He should be tweeting up a storm and retweeting things. It is quiet. There are some posts, but there are gaps. There is not nearly the level of tweeting that is normal for him, regardless of a big news story that should upset him.

My thought is that he has to be busy. We know it is not Far West, so I am inclining to think it is something else for Modiphius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
It could also be FFG. They are putting out a steady stream of L5R 5e books and he was involved with the core and (I think) some short fiction. They have already said they have no issues with him or his non-L5R behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blammo wrote:
It could also be FFG. They are putting out a steady stream of L5R 5e books and he was involved with the core and (I think) some short fiction. They have already said they have no issues with him or his non-L5R behavior.

He hasn't updated his gmskarka.com/credits page, but that might be because he knows backers are now watching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
Blammo wrote:

He hasn't updated his gmskarka.com/credits page, but that might be because he knows backers are now watching it.

I am not sure he has done anything since L5R - at least something that has been published. He is still really quiet, so he must be working on something non-Far West related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He COULD be working on Far West. We'll never know what's in the box until we open it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
He COULD be working on Far West.

Did you type that with a straight face?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
Bazin wrote:
He COULD be working on Far West.

Did you type that with a straight face?

Josh doesn't have a straight face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Only a gay one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
He COULD be working on Far West. We'll never know what's in the box until we open it!

Schrödinger's Game - We can think of it as existing or not existing at the same time.

Of course, I prefer to think of it like this. We can know where Far West is, but not if Far West is complete. Or, we can know If Far West is complete, but not where it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard about this on twitter and take no credit for the awesomeness.

Someone awesome in the LGBT community has made this: I Came Out Before Far West

They also have other versions for a variety of LGBT groups: Other Versions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
I heard about this on twitter and take no credit for the awesomeness.

Someone awesome in the LGBT community has made this: I Came Out Before Far West

They also have other versions for a variety of LGBT groups: Other Versions

OMG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think GMS plan now is to eventually work in hollywood. Probably as a writer, but eventually as a show creator. My assumption is that he is going to use his comic connection to try and write for TV show that is coming out. If that works out, then move on to writing for other things.

I base this on his tweet that says he is not a member of the WGA, but hopes to be someday. Maybe it was just a throw away line, but for some reason, it seemed more like a goal he is aiming for at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Hobie
msg tools
mb
I suspect employment in Hollywood was his endgame all along, and probably where a good chunk of the money was spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
I think GMS plan now is to eventually work in hollywood. Probably as a writer, but eventually as a show creator. My assumption is that he is going to use his comic connection to try and write for TV show that is coming out. If that works out, then move on to writing for other things.

I base this on his tweet that says he is not a member of the WGA, but hopes to be someday. Maybe it was just a throw away line, but for some reason, it seemed more like a goal he is aiming for at the moment.

I think this has been a goal for some time. He has always wanted to work on TV shows (lots of comments about BSG, Star Trek and Star Wars) and back when Far West was just becoming a thing his TRANSMEDIA! plans included video, either TV or movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, who can forget TRANSMEDIA!

I think I just see him as finally having a more direct path into Hollywood than he did before. But, I do suppose that has been a desire of his to be more of a writer/producer than a game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not nearly as entertaining as the shirt, but it turns out there is a Model United Nations of the Far West. http://munfw.org/

They have been around for 69 years. About as long as Far West the RPG has been in development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy Scarlett
United States
San Jose
santa clara
flag msg tools
badge
Not Necessarily Inaccurate Videos at- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A6D4E8F2B74B110
mbmbmbmbmb
The important thing is....I'M STILL WINNING THE CONTEST!!! pppp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  25 , 26 , 27 , 28 , 29  Next »  [29] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.